Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Kritzkrieg Kop posted:

What's the best search engine for finding (economic) journal articles and research papers? Something comprehensive like Google Scholar but "better".

If you're at a university, there are a lot of options. I'll just quote the Science, Academics and Languages Online Resource Thread:

helopticor posted:

JSTOR
"They have an amazing amount of journal articles online for use, from a plethora of disciplines...Unfortunately, you have to be a member to use the service, of which many academic institutions are. You can access it from your school, or use their proxy (most school libraries have instructions on how to do this) to do it from home. It may seem like a hassle but the amount of information it holds is awesome." (Thanks, xunzi)

Academic Search Complete
A good database for papers on a wide variety of topics. Like JSTOR, you'll almost definitely be accessing it through your academic institution. Check your school's library or library website for access details. (Thanks, Kill Dozed)

Scopus
"Peer reviewed articles of all types." It requires a login, like JSTOR. (Thanks, Lord Dewtain)

JournalSeek
A collection of articles on a variety of subjects. Most of the full-text articles require a login, like JSTOR. (Thanks, Melchiresa)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
edit: beaten

Xandu fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 18, 2011

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009
Thank you! What you wrote Xandu was helpful too

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
Thanks for the mailbox help. I'll try and hang it out the top of the box as suggested.

I live in a pretty populated area and I can't think of a nearby mailbox that is on a street corner within a mile proximity, otherwise I'd use that.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Jeffrey Colon posted:

This is probably a pretty stupid question - I just moved into a house that has a mailbox mounted next to the front door.

Like this (not mine):

How do I send outgoing mail? Do I have to take it to the post office? (US)
You could leave the mail out for the mailman to pick up on his rounds, or walk or drive to the nearest drop box (which is vanishing, unfortunately). The hooks are for bulk mail (newspapers, magazines, junk mail, etc. - it's a magazine rack) that wouldn't fit through the slot - if that box had one.

WillieWestwood fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Nov 18, 2011

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

I have a mailbox like that without the hooks, and I just leave outgoing mail hanging out the top and it's usually fine. Unfortunately, only one of the two mail carriers that walks this route takes outgoing mail. Thankfully, that one is the one that does 95% of the deliveries, the other one is sick day backup or whatever.

You could also be sociable and ask your letter carrier the preferred method of outgoing mail. Of course that doesn't work if you're working a day job when they come by, but.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Kritzkrieg Kop posted:

Thank you! What you wrote Xandu was helpful too
I have found, with Ebsco at least, that the searches can give back a lot of document previews, reviews of papers and books, etc., that aren't all that useful. Messing with the advanced search functions helps a lot: I generally check "full text" and "academic sources only" before I start looking for research material.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Hey goons. Thanks to goons of this very subforum I have been led to this website and led to believe that this featherbed!

will be a good solution to my problem of constant backaches and poor sleep. I have to constantly roll around in bed and cover everything with pillows to even get a restful sleep, and it's drat hard staying out of bed for long. I seem to be a side sleeper, and was told that side sleepers need something softer to sink into a bit. My mattress is an old hand me down from my parents but the money ain't there to replace it, so I'm hoping this will be a good fix.

What do you think?

Diseased Dick Guy
May 14, 2011

The pit is open.
Seems like a good idea if you do sleep on your side. I usually don't sleep with a pillow, but it seems necessary on the side so it makes sense that this might help in similar way. I've slept on those before. It was like sleeping on a soft cloud.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I'm a side sleeper and while I hated memory foam latex foam is awesome. Feather seems too soft, ymmv.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
Biology related question!

What's the closest thing related to humans AFTER all primates?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Jeffrey Colon posted:

How do I send outgoing mail? Do I have to take it to the post office? (US)

We use a clothespin.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Golbez posted:

Seems the cancellation fee for Allegiant is $50. Considering the price of the ticket, I'd get a voucher with Allegiant for about $30 after all that. It's almost worth it to just keep things as they are and enjoy an empty row.

As an aside, I hate Allegiant Airlines with a passion, but it's worth it to fly them to have a direct flight to Las Vegas during a holiday weekend to avoid transferring through O'Hare.

Just fyi, they probably won't leave that seat open. When your friend doesn't check in, they'll release the seat and give it to someone on standby if the flight is full.

Yes, it's bullshit, but it's what they do.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

RaoulDuke12 posted:

Just fyi, they probably won't leave that seat open. When your friend doesn't check in, they'll release the seat and give it to someone on standby if the flight is full.

Yes, it's bullshit, but it's what they do.

According to their FAQ, Allegiant doesn't offer standby.

Rhizoid
May 8, 2003

Takifugu!

Magikoopa189 posted:

If you're asking recent common genetic ancestors I'd go with "rodents and stuff"

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Magikoopa189 posted:

Some quick Googling led me here: http://sciencematters.berkeley.edu/archives/volume4/issue32/story3.php

The closer the animals are in the diagram, the more DNA they have in common. So to answer your question, probably some kind of rodent.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Super Dan posted:

So to answer your question, probably some kind of rodent.

Yup:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euarchontoglires

quote:

Euarchontoglires (synonymous with Supraprimates) is a clade of mammals, the living members of which are rodents, lagomorphs, treeshrews, colugos and primates (including humans).

Rodents, iirc, are the most closely-related to primates of that list.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

Binowru posted:

In some old-timey restaurants or bars, you'll see a painting on the wall that'll have a streetlamp or a car in it, and there'll be a tiny lightbulb embedded in the artwork that'll actually light up the lamp or car light or whatever. What's this type of artwork/decoration called? Do they sell those online anywhere?

Anyone?

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?

Binowru posted:

Anyone?

Well, there's some light up wall art here,

http://www.glow.co.uk/canvas-light-up-wall-art.html

but this particular product seems to discontinued. There are some related products that fit loosely with your description.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
A friend recently forwarded a scam email that had my passport photo page attached to it. Fortunately it's an old passport but looking at just the photo page it's still valid for another year. I doubt there is much to worry about but is there something I should do?

The scan is rather poor in quality but high resolution, straight and well cropped which makes me think it was perhaps stolen from some border security somewhere. Simply scanning it in a regular scanner would not give the same results without a bit of editing in Photoshop.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Can gay people actually fall in love with each other? I don't mean sexual attraction but romantic love that is so common with heterosexual folk. Whenever gays are represented it looks like their sexuality is emphasized, but can they long for each ohther in a platonic way? I refer to male homosexuals specifically.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Can gay people actually fall in love with each other?

Yes.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?

Can gay people actually fall in love with each other? I don't mean sexual attraction but romantic love that is so common with heterosexual folk. Whenever gays are represented it looks like their sexuality is emphasized, but can they long for each ohther in a platonic way? I refer to male homosexuals specifically.

This is like asking if black people are actually more than 3/5ths of a human being.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

Ringo R posted:

A friend recently forwarded a scam email that had my passport photo page attached to it. Fortunately it's an old passport but looking at just the photo page it's still valid for another year. I doubt there is much to worry about but is there something I should do?

The scan is rather poor in quality but high resolution, straight and well cropped which makes me think it was perhaps stolen from some border security somewhere. Simply scanning it in a regular scanner would not give the same results without a bit of editing in Photoshop.

I'd probably still call the State Department over that. That is really creepy and weird.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

No. Gays don't have souls.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
What's a good website, free program (legal only please!) (but if one's really good I will pay), or even a book to teach me intermediate/advanced MS Excel in like 2 days? I can do very basic formulas, add-the-cells, merge/space/highlight stuff, but I have to take an ~*assessment*~ online before a job interview this Monday. I really loving want this job and want to impress.

Also, how should I address learning if the company uses 2003 but I have "2010 Starter" on my computer?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

drat Bananas posted:

What's a good website, free program (legal only please!) (but if one's really good I will pay), or even a book to teach me intermediate/advanced MS Excel in like 2 days? I can do very basic formulas, add-the-cells, merge/space/highlight stuff, but I have to take an ~*assessment*~ online before a job interview this Monday. I really loving want this job and want to impress.

Also, how should I address learning if the company uses 2003 but I have "2010 Starter" on my computer?

http://www.lynda.com/ has some awesome tutorials for anything you want. A quick look shows multiple excel tutorials fir every version available. They're subscription based, but it's only $25/mo and you can cancel whenever.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

What the gently caress is wrong with you?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Don't worry, one day you'll find the right guy and things will just click.

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

So, maybe this would be better suited for the Goon Doctor, but lately I have been having issues with my legs falling asleep a lot when having my feet up on a foot stool, and my arms being asleep when I wake up in the mornings.

I hate the feeling, and at least when sitting down with my feet up I make sure I dont sit oddly, and have nothing in my back pockets that might cause it.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Wulfolme posted:

Hey goons. Thanks to goons of this very subforum I have been led to this website and led to believe that this featherbed!

will be a good solution to my problem of constant backaches and poor sleep. I have to constantly roll around in bed and cover everything with pillows to even get a restful sleep, and it's drat hard staying out of bed for long. I seem to be a side sleeper, and was told that side sleepers need something softer to sink into a bit. My mattress is an old hand me down from my parents but the money ain't there to replace it, so I'm hoping this will be a good fix.

What do you think?

Probably not the answer you are looking for but: Hot Yoga.

Try it. I did it just to try it out not specifically trying to address those very same issues and I realized within a couple weeks my back problems and sleep issues had magically disappeared.

Also, I am pretty sure I had heard that soft(er) is not the way to go to address back issues. IANAD though.

drat Bananas posted:

Microsoft has a shitload of training on their site:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/download-office-2010-training-HA101901726.aspx

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/CH010224830.aspx

As to the version differences, little of the core functionality has changed but they love to move poo poo around so you may find yourself embarrassed to not be able to find simple stuff.

PUNCHITCHEWIE
Apr 4, 2009
IF I'M TALKING ABOUT FOOTBALL, IGNORE ME. I'M A FUCKING IDIOT.
I'm getting really loving annoyed with CFL lightbulbs. Last year after they finally seemed to have solved the annoying humming problem I went ahead and replaced all the bulbs in several houses I own with CFLs, and felt like a good environmentally responsible citizen for doing so.

However they seem to be less reliable and burn out wayyyy more loving often than normal incandescents. I've already had to replace nearly half of the bulbs (14 and counting) after about 20 months. This wouldn't be too much of a pain, but they cost way loving more than any lightbulb I've ever bought, and they were supposed to last longer. Anyone else have this problem? Are their supposedly long lifetimes just horseshit?

I'd imagine any energy savings I'm creating are more than offset by the nasty nasty poo poo chemicals they need to manufacture CFLs, I'm wondering if they are actually worse for the environment than tungsten incandescents if they keep burning out and going in the trash at this rate.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

PUNCHITCHEWIE posted:

I'm getting really loving annoyed with CFL lightbulbs. Last year after they finally seemed to have solved the annoying humming problem I went ahead and replaced all the bulbs in several houses I own with CFLs, and felt like a good environmentally responsible citizen for doing so.

However they seem to be less reliable and burn out wayyyy more loving often than normal incandescents. I've already had to replace nearly half of the bulbs (14 and counting) after about 20 months. This wouldn't be too much of a pain, but they cost way loving more than any lightbulb I've ever bought, and they were supposed to last longer. Anyone else have this problem? Are their supposedly long lifetimes just horseshit?

You have some kind of hosed up wiring going on in those houses. There's absolutely no reason they should be burning out faster.

Yes, they really do last a lot longer than normal ones in normal circumstances.

Incidentally, have you considered trying some LED bulbs? They last much longer than CFLs, and also use much less power (a 60 watt incandescent equivalent LED bulb uses 6.7 watts and should last as long as 25 incandescents). They're especially good for aimed lights or lights in hard to reach places, even though they do cost more.

ROOMBA floorvac
Aug 21, 2004
When I post a video link in reddit, no picture of the youtube link appears. Is there a specific format I should enter when submitting a video link?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

marshmallard posted:

There's one on like every street corner in England. But they're not as good as your American ones that you can put parcels in :(
A little late, but I wanted to ask -- you're no longer supposed to put anything bigger than 13 oz in dropboxes in Boston. Has that taken effect anywhere else? I assume it happened some time after 9/11.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

maverick99 posted:

When I post a video link in reddit, no picture of the youtube link appears. Is there a specific format I should enter when submitting a video link?

Just chuck the URL in the box for the link. Make sure you aren't putting it in the part for the title. Reddit's pretty dumb though, so I'm not sure why you'd bother.

Diseased Dick Guy
May 14, 2011

The pit is open.
Does anyone know how long those really short strings (like 2 or 3 feet) of Christmas lights that run on battery power last with one set of batteries?

I like to put the shorter strings up in front of my desk for when I watch movies on my computer and similar things, but there's no outlet close enough for that with my new setup. I'd probably use it 6 hours a week at most. I just don't want to waste the money if they eat batteries like crazy.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
I have to mail something that I suspect is a bit too heavy to qualify as "normal" mail. It's not terribly heavy; just a lot of paper stuffed into a normal 9"x3" envelope. All I've got at home are a bunch of "first class forever" stamps. Can I put two or three on, and my letter will get through? I know I could go down to the post office and have it weighed and get the exact correct amount of postage put on it, but not having to drive to the post office for just this is easily worth an extra dollar's worth of stamps to me.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Gravity Pike posted:

I have to mail something that I suspect is a bit too heavy to qualify as "normal" mail. It's not terribly heavy; just a lot of paper stuffed into a normal 9"x3" envelope. All I've got at home are a bunch of "first class forever" stamps. Can I put two or three on, and my letter will get through? I know I could go down to the post office and have it weighed and get the exact correct amount of postage put on it, but not having to drive to the post office for just this is easily worth an extra dollar's worth of stamps to me.

Got a postal scale? A first class stamp will let you send a half ounce, but the rate for additional weight is less. The post office has an online calculator that tells you what postage would be for a particular size and weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idonie
Jun 5, 2011

John Redcorn posted:

How medically likely is it for a young lady to gain 4-5" in height after age 17?

I just about swear I bumped into someone from my past earlier, she'd be my age, about 33 now but she was 5'2" and who I saw tonight was 5'6-7 (no heels).

Maybe not likely, but I grew 3" in 3 months when I finally left home at 19, so it is possible.