Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Howdy
Jan 25, 2005
I say this as someone who's only bitched about the blue w/ white pinstripes jersey in the last ten or so years.

loving BLERGH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
I loved the blue/white! This thing, though...

We are not hoops. Dammit.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Bahahahahahahahaha

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Was Taters posted:

I loved the blue/white! This thing, though...

We are not hoops. Dammit.

Yeah, I fuckin' loved the Pinstripes but ugh...I'm not liking the hoops. I wish we could develop some semblance of consistency. Why can't we just keep the sash as a consistent design theme?

Oh well, I mean, I like hoops on Jerseys, so in a vacuum I like this kit, but not as a US kit...

...I don't think. Maybe it's growing on me?

Anukis
Jan 23, 2006

I'm an empathetic, sensitive, educated, intellectually curious non-idiot. Hi.
bllluhgggggggh

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
That can't be real.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Edit: look how stupid I am

Flash Gordon Ramsay fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Nov 18, 2011

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Hoover Dam posted:

Where's Waldo? Here.

Love it.

Mar 19, 2001

Dos a cero!
Kind of makes me hungry for a candy cane.

ReleasetheKracker!
Oct 8, 2010

by Ozmaugh
loving hate stripes, me.

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.
Look on the bright side, we've been looking for a nickname for our national team and now we can all root for our home-grown "Candy Stripers"

Zwachro
Mar 7, 2003
C808BEA
If it's any help at all in coming up with a nickname, in Scandinavia 'candy canes' would translate to 'polka pigs'.

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!
Reminder that there's a USWNT friendly against Sweden right now. It's not televised as far as I know, but you can find it streaming here. 20' in, no score.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Visual Sneeze posted:

Reminder that there's a USWNT friendly against Sweden right now. It's not televised as far as I know, but you can find it streaming here. 20' in, no score.

Goddamn you, I tuned in just in time to see Sweden score, so I'm blaming you.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

The USMNT kits look like Rugby shirts. Might have been cooler with thinner hoops.

Lowden Swain
Jul 11, 2006
can't hold his mud
Love the hoops with the sublimated sash, makes everyone wonder about a blue kit with stars incorporated.

Also, kind of hard to claim the sash when you have Sweden's 11/12 kit out there with a gently caress-all giant sash on it.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever
Not busy December 3? You are now.

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
Harkes out as ESPN lead commentator! Thank god. Looks like Twellman will be the guy in 2012

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Reek posted:

Harkes out as ESPN lead commentator! Thank god. Looks like Twellman will be the guy in 2012

Twellman is better because at the very least his voice doesn't annoy me. He also doesn't say things like "He was knocking on the doorstep".

msj817
Apr 1, 2003

Please help me help you forget about Jozy.

LYE-OONS posted:

Twellman is better because at the very least his voice doesn't annoy me. He also doesn't say things like "He was knocking on the doorstep".

I like Twellman because he actually still keeps up with the players, and isn't afraid to call them out on form.

Harkes was just a generic robot who happened to play once.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Thank all that is sacred and good in the world

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

"Absolutely ______"

rip just rip

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

msj817 posted:

I like Twellman because he actually still keeps up with the players, and isn't afraid to call them out on form.

Harkes was just a generic robot who happened to play once.

Well, I don't really know enough about Twellman to make that sort of judgment. From the little I have heard him commentate, he has been better than Harkes and Lalas and he doesn't seem to plant his foot in his mouth at every opportunity.

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

LYE-OONS posted:

Well, I don't really know enough about Twellman to make that sort of judgment. From the little I have heard him commentate, he has been better than Harkes and Lalas and he doesn't seem to plant his foot in his mouth at every opportunity.

I'll take Twellman just for his pre-game choice for the MLS Cup Final. Which was something to the effect of, "Well I lost two cups to LA and two to Houston so I'd like to see this game go scoreless and there be seven overtimes and then no champion crowned. I hate them both."

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Destroy My Sweater posted:

"Absolutely ______"

rip just rip

Gonna fill in that blank with "JP"

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

I like Twellman, every time I watch with friends I get them to marvel at how big his head is (literally).

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

Destroy My Sweater posted:

I like Twellman, every time I watch with friends I get them to marvel at how big his head is (literally).

R-L: Me, a melon on top of an argyle sweater

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
US Soccer Daily's top 10 goals of 2011: http://www.ussoccerdaily.com/2011/11/top-10-usmnt-goals-of-2011.html

I love how Harkes bitches about Shea taking too long on the ball just as he gets it to Rogers

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

LYE-OONS posted:

Twellman... doesn't seem to plant his foot in his mouth at every opportunity.

he doesn't do that on the air, he saves that for twitter.

ragle
Nov 1, 2009

Tigren posted:

Ya, I can't either now. Klinsi officially said that he puts Omar fourth in line, behind Gooch, Goodson, and OROZCO!

For what it is worth, this article makes a case for Orozco-Fiscal.

quote:

We’ve looked at his individual statistics and they don’t seem impressive... Individual numbers lie in soccer because soccer is all about how a team of players function together....

If we compare how the USA team performs by these measures with Orozco-Fiscal compared to without him on the field:

The US averages 70.1 more attempted passes, 68.3 more successful passes and a completion rate 4.5% higher per 45 minutes with Orozco-Fiscal on the field.

The US averages 0.5 fewer shots and 0.7 fewer shots on target with 0.4 more goals scored.

US Opponents average 39.4 fewer attempted passes, 35.4 fewer successful passes and a completion percentage 3.2% lower with Orozco-Fiscal on the field.

They average 0.4 fewer shots but 0.2 more shots on target with no difference in goals scored. The conversion rate of shots to goals was 0.9% higher.

What do these numbers–with a Bayesian lens–mean?

Klinsmann’s team keeps possession far better with Orozco-Fiscal on the field and the score more goals despite creating a few less chances.

The USA wins the ball back more quickly so their opponents have less of it and create fewer shooting opportunities. Whenever a team plays a high line, the chances they concede are of better quality, so we see the opponent’s shots are somewhat more likely to be on target, and a slightly higher conversion rate of shots to goals.

What the US gains by keeping the ball away from their opponents attack mitigate the impact of his individual defensive shortcomings so they don’t lessen the quality of the team’s overall defending, at least over the course of these 4 matches.

I'm not sure I buy into this considering the small sample size but as I said, FWIW.

Howdy
Jan 25, 2005

ragle posted:

For what it is worth, this article makes a case for Orozco-Fiscal.

I'm not sure I buy into this considering the small sample size but as I said, FWIW.

Not only is the sample size small...

With Orozco-Fiscal: Mexico, a very B-squad Costa Rica, Honduras (1st half)
Without: Belgium, Ecuador, France, Slovenia

Yes, the US had less success possessing and passing the ball in games he didn't play -- there's a loving MASSIVE difference in the quality of opponents.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
The U-17 team drew with France with a last minute goal today for anyone thats interested.

Mar 19, 2001

Dos a cero!

Giovanni_Sinclair posted:

The U-17 team drew with France with a last minute goal today for anyone thats interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m15a4woPAe0&feature=feedu

Pretty fun game.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
The US actually has kids good at soccer? This is obviously a very elaborate troll.

calcio
May 7, 2007

No Totti No party

LYE-OONS posted:

The US actually has kids good at soccer? This is obviously a very elaborate troll.
Don't worry, instead of signing with a pro team they'll go to college and get ruined.

Howdy
Jan 25, 2005
Heard some rumblings about that Deandre Robinson kid the last year or so, the goal he scored was pretty drat nice.

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
The US always has good kids they just never pan out/play other sports/go to the mls or college/are really 35 etc etc etc

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
Hm speaking of:

https://twitter.com/#!/juanagudelo17/status/142004025699741696

:allears:

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

He's just training there for two weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU