Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
40 OZ
May 16, 2003
edit- n/m :angel:

40 OZ fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Nov 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

40 OZ posted:

So?

Play a competitive game like TF2 or DOTA where it doesn't matter where you live, instead.

Maybe he or she likes fighting games and doesn't like TF2 or dota? I'm not sure why you're assuming that competition is the single reason anyone would want to play a fighting game. Competition isn't the sole defining trait of fighting games. I'm utter poo poo at these games, but I like playing them even with pretty much no prospects for ever playing competitively or even at a decent level. Maybe I'm just not the Right Kind of fighting game player, I don't know.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003
edit- dbl post

40 OZ fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Nov 18, 2011

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

chumbler posted:

I like playing them even with pretty much no prospects for ever playing competitively or even at a decent level.

Are you trying to get better? It doesn't matter at all what 'level' you are on.

Do you play against your roommates? Have some friends on IRC you play? Your little sister? If you compete against absolutely anyone, you are playing competitively.

quote:

I'm utter poo poo at these games

Compared to who? JUSTIN WONG?

quote:

Competition isn't the sole defining trait of fighting games.

It was before they made console ports

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

40 OZ posted:

Are you trying to get better? It doesn't matter at all what 'level' you are on.

Do you play against your roommates? Have some friends on IRC you play? Your little sister? If you compete against absolutely anyone, you are playing competitively.

I live alone and only have online as an avenue through which to play. Also I was using the generally accepted definition of "competitively" as "in a setting with real stakes, i.e. a tournament" rather than the pretty-much-covers-everything definition of "not cooperatively."

40 OZ posted:

Compared to who? JUSTIN WONG?

I am terrible in the sense that I am not capable of performing at anything above the most basic level the game requires, and in that I lose the vast majority of matches. I wish I were only poo poo at the game compared to Justin Wong. That is however irrelevant to what I was trying to say, that people enjoy playing and watching fighting games despite not being even of small tournament levels of skill or having any ambition for whatever reason to be at that level.

40 OZ posted:

It was before they made console ports

I would say that a fighting game is more defined by its mechanics and general gameplay than by competition.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Nov 18, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

chumbler posted:

I live alone and only have online as an avenue through which to play. Also I was using the generally accepted definition of "competitively" as "in a setting with real stakes, i.e. a tournament" rather than the pretty-much-covers-everything definition of "not cooperatively."

If you're playing with the intention of getting better, you're playing competetively.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

If you're playing with the intention of getting better, you're playing competetively.
That sorta depends on whether your intentions are. If you're just trying to improve your execution against a training dummy and making combo videos instead of learning things like spacing, zoning and poking then you could get better with out being competitive v:shobon:v

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
This is all a matter of semantics, because the article clearly meant "competitive" in the "contribute to the scene, be it as a pot monster or a big name." Certainly not as someone who plays GGXX against his friend twice a week even if both of them are trying to get better to beat the other guy.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Broken Loose posted:

I was born with astigmatism. I'm legally blind in my left eye. Shiki Dan is completely right, it doesn't make fighters any harder.

if you were born with astigmatism how could you possibly know if it makes games harder or not if you have no benchmark to base that comparison on.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Zand posted:

if you were born with astigmatism how could you possibly know if it makes games harder or not if you have no benchmark to base that comparison on.

Based off the presumption that depth perception is not required for a 2D screen. Am I wrong?

Epicurus
Jan 18, 2008
I hope I can change my title later on...
I have a question for SF4 players:

Why would you do a normal throw when playing as a character who has a command throw that is basically an improved, inescapable version of a normal throw?

I see top players (Ricosuave and others) using normal grabs all the time when playing as Abel. Why do that when you could use the tornado throw instead and do more damage + inescapable?

Is it just because a normal throw has slightly less recovery time if you whiff?

Here is an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSlICY-h4D8

around 1:10, 3:07, and 5:35 you'll see him use a normal throw instead of Tornado throw. Why's he doing that?

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
Abel's command throws have longer recovery and start-up than his normal throw, same deal with Honda, their command throws are generally best when you're coming out of frame advantage or when they're scared and defensive. They also might have different post-knockdown set-ups that are more advantageous, or provide a novel mix-up.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Additionally, some characters might have safejump setups or mixups off normal throws that they can't get from their command throw. (not that I could give you any examples)

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser
Normal throw for Abel in particular comes out two frames faster, is much much much safer on whiff and the input not needing a motion makes it easier to do in general.

E: beaten like Abel in AE

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I've started playing Tekken 6 with a buddy of mine, and I'm having a hard time adjusting to it. I'm not used to juggling at all, and coming from Virtua Fighter makes me feel like it's impossible to stand up in Tekken without getting hit.

So far I've been using Dragunov and Lili, but I'd like to pick up another character to play around with. I generally like throws and counters (I use Aoi in VF). My friend mostly plays as Asuka and Leo, and we generally stick to separate characters so those two are off limits. Any suggestions on who to look into? King? Armor King? Someone else?

go speed racer go
Dec 11, 2006

~wat it do, dough~
King is definitely a solid choice. Good amount of mixup between his different throws, especially once you get iSW and Giant Swing down. A lot of them also leave him in good position for wake up games.

For people who aren't confident in their throw breaking and want to duck your attempts, you can open them up with u/f+4 combos or play it safe with f+3 pokes.

A lot of Tekken is the spacing and wake up game. People who don't learn those fundamentals first tend to get eaten up alive quickly and then lose interest.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

may contain peanuts posted:

How did you get a stick for free?

Store had to get rid of a TE MK for 360, just gave me the stick straight up.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Armor-Piercing posted:

I've started playing Tekken 6 with a buddy of mine, and I'm having a hard time adjusting to it. I'm not used to juggling at all, and coming from Virtua Fighter makes me feel like it's impossible to stand up in Tekken without getting hit.

So far I've been using Dragunov and Lili, but I'd like to pick up another character to play around with. I generally like throws and counters (I use Aoi in VF). My friend mostly plays as Asuka and Leo, and we generally stick to separate characters so those two are off limits. Any suggestions on who to look into? King? Armor King? Someone else?

King is a good suggestion, although he is deceptively complex and has one of the longest movelists in the game. You can try Craig (Marduk) for sort of an easier-to-learn version, where grabs/counters/hard-hitting strings are emphasized over King's more complicated poking and oki game. Paul also may not look like a grappler, but actually has a bunch of command throws and a great, straightforward counter. He's also a really good character to learn the game with.

Zexerous
May 5, 2006

No Alibi. No Justice. No Dream. No Club.

Pierson posted:

Crossposting this from the Megaten thread but two more dudes revealed for the Persona 4 fighter and basically the best two possible choices they could have made. I really hope this doesn't suck.

They really made Junpei look really funny :colbert:

Seriously though. I'm not bitching, they could throw the entire cast of 3 and 4 together and I wouldn't bitch in the slightest.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

Zexerous posted:

Seriously though. I'm not bitching, they could throw the entire cast of 3 and 4 together and I wouldn't bitch in the slightest.

I would only complain if they did all that work and they didn't make Hitler from P2 a boss.

KOFXIII seems to have broken street date a bit early from the way people are talking on other forums too I'm still hoping mine arrives on the 22nd from amazon.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

Mio Bison posted:

Normal throw for Abel in particular comes out two frames faster, is much much much safer on whiff and the input not needing a motion makes it easier to do in general.

E: beaten like Abel in AE

This but a more technical answer is that after a blocked step kick, it's his only option other than EX Tornado Throw which will beat a three frame normal. EX Tornado will get you hosed up if they guess it's coming and jump or backdash, regular throw not so much.

Getting people into the habit of expecting and teching or avoiding a throw pre-emptively is also part of the general SF4 metagame.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
This is a stupid question but it's been bugging me for days. The announcers in SFIV and SSFIV say something during the loading screens before some of the fights that I can't understand. It's just three or four words, the first one being "fight".

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Fight For The Future

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
No, it's something else.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

In case you Skullgirls fans missed it, here's the first footage of Painwheel from Gamespot. It's the first segment in the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAWQFAS3lc0

Also, the latest Friday Night Fights with Filia wrecking poo poo.
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/friday-night-skullgirls/724201

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

KOFXIII seems to have broken street date a bit early from the way people are talking on other forums too I'm still hoping mine arrives on the 22nd from amazon.

The cool thing is, if you got in on the release day shipping and it gets in late they give you :10bux:. It's happened on like the last 3 games I've gotten from them because OnTrac sucks at finding my house.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Spermando posted:

This is a stupid question but it's been bugging me for days. The announcers in SFIV and SSFIV say something during the loading screens before some of the fights that I can't understand. It's just three or four words, the first one being "fight".

The fight card is filled in. Which of these warriors will prove their strength to the world?

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
No, it's something like "Fight -- out joust."

Here it is. Skip to 5:48.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPB97YNNen4

Spermando fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Nov 19, 2011

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

"Fight locale chosen".

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Thanks!

dj_de
Jul 24, 2003

Huhhhhh?
So is anyone actually getting KOF13 today :sweatdrop:

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan
I've got it comin' over from gamefly, but I gotta be honest here. My hands are full just trying to gain some sort of competency in Ultimate Marvel. As if splitting my mind/time between two fighting games wasn't enough, I have both Skyrim and Assassin's Creed begging for my attentions.

Always had a soft spot for KoF so I at least want to have the game on hand, but early reviews are saying the internet play isn't anything worth writing home about. It's my only option for playing the game outside training mode. Dealing with Ultimate's less-than-ideal latency already produces enormous amounts of salt that tackling another would likely send me into convulsions.

Despite that, I want to rock a Terry/K`/Kim team. Training mode will only get me so far, so will have to take on that burden at some point.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

dj_de posted:

Gamestop auto-dialed me last night about my copy being here. Just gotta wait for them to open now.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
I've heard UMVC is a pretty cheap and rage inducing game. Having played it myself just recently, I can attest to that.

Guess I'll just move onto KOF13.

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)

dj_de posted:

If they have a copy of it at the store I go to for fight nights, sure. They don't always have stuff the day it comes out, but they had UMVC3 the day that came out, so who knows.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!

dj_de posted:

I'll be picking up a copy. I've only played a small amount of KoF '99 otherwise so wish me luck, guys!

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip
Is KoF gonna be region free? I've heard nothing about an Australian release so I might consider an import.

edit: 360 version, not PS3

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Arturo Sanchez is streaming KOF here: http://www.twitch.tv/nycfurby

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
The VF5FS season 4 was streamed a few days ago.

Looks like they're really going all out with the customization system in this one, like Tekken 6 levels of ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Groghammer posted:

I'll be picking up a copy. I've only played a small amount of KoF '99 otherwise so wish me luck, guys!

Ordered mine from Inglewood Amazon which is like 10 minutes away. What's funny is that I've only played KOF a little bit growing up but it's looking amazing now.

• Locked thread