Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.

SuperSlacker posted:

Marn did pretty well but it didn't help that he was experimenting combos during the match. haha

Especially his Vergil. He kept trying stinger->relaunch out of the corner and he never used the ground bounce launcher which is an easy way to tack on damage to short combos. Despite all that, he still managed to not get swept!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I am absolutely new to this game, and still trying to learn how to do some of these moves, but one thing is mystifying me- when the input commands are <-CHARGE-> H, what exactly should I be doing with the controller? Holding down left and right and charging up with H?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Gravy Train Robber posted:

I am absolutely new to this game, and still trying to learn how to do some of these moves, but one thing is mystifying me- when the input commands are <-CHARGE-> H, what exactly should I be doing with the controller? Holding down left and right and charging up with H?

Hold the stick to the left for about a second (this is what it means by charge), then press right+H.

You can also charge with down+back which is useful because then you don't walk backwards. You can charge during any move or action as well.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Mind you, unless you're using a stick, Charge moves are the most akward thing in the game to use. Don't plan on playing Hulk or Shuma if you have trouble with them.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Thanks for the clarification. I'm just using a PS3 controller, and I can't even get the first Shuma mission done. :psyduck:

I think I'll just continue moving down the list trying characters out and skip over Hulk and any others I see with charge moves.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Shuma's Down-Up charge is actually easier then Hulk's, just hold down while falling, then hit up as soon as you hit the ground.

Chocolate America
Nov 5, 2008

by garbage day
Yo Vergil players tell me how to play him.

Cinroth
Dec 11, 2008

Has it never occured
to you that this club
is overpopulated?

Chocolate America posted:

Swing sword (sometimes throw sword), teleport around, get motivated, do hella rad combos, kill everyone, die when you get hit.

Have a good projectile/beam assist and use it to cover your stinger so you can stinger all over the place and stay safe while your opponent stays free and then cancel into either teleport or rapid slash or whatever. If you wanna keep away throw your sword and do a bunch of judgement cuts and stuff while calling your rad projectile/beam assist until people get mad as hell and start going in on you (i.e right away).

When you're motivated you air dash all the time until you air dash into rocket raccoons log trap (BONK) and then air dash more until you hit them with your huge anime sword.

Summon spiral swords and teleport behind or in front of people and do a rad combo.

Sorry that's about the extent of my day 1 Vergil tech!!

A rad combo to start with is 5B, 5C, 6C, rising sun, teleport down, super jump, j.B, j.C, j.S, 5C, 6C, medium teleport, spiral swords, lunar phase x2, 3C, air super.

Alternatively 5B, 5C, 6C, get motivated, <see above> except you do a bunch of rapid slash instead of lunar phase and look swag as hell and make people really mad and then dtop the combo cause you don't know what the hell is going on.

Cinroth fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 19, 2011

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I don't think I'm ever going to get sick of Phoenix Wright throwing dogs at people. Makes me laugh every time.

That and him prosecuting Ameratsu.

Tetrakarn
Nov 1, 2011

Cinroth posted:

Swing sword (sometimes throw sword), teleport around, get motivated, do hella rad combos, kill everyone, die when you get hit.

This basically. Virgin has low health, decent range, and good speed. He's like a dante with less health, less moves, more damage, and more movement options.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*

Cinroth posted:

Sorry that's about the extent of my day 1 Vergil tech!!
It's like day+3 man, stop being from Europe ;)

Cinroth
Dec 11, 2008

Has it never occured
to you that this club
is overpopulated?

Dosvidanya posted:

It's like day+3 man, stop being from Europe ;)

Oh yeah well how about you stop sexualizing squirrel tits MORAN! :owned:

:smith:

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
Can C. Viper's EX Thunder Knuckle be cancelled into a L Seismo? I'm having difficulties with the input, I keep pulling off an EX Seismo instead of an L one.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*

Millions posted:

Can C. Viper's EX Thunder Knuckle be cancelled into a L Seismo? I'm having difficulties with the input, I keep pulling off an EX Seismo instead of an L one.

I think her ex moves are only super cancelable or something.

EX thunder is supposed to crumble though so do it after?

guide says only cancelable to EX or hyper.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Hey Broken Loose, Deadpool has a winquote vs Spider-Man you make like ;)

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Everything Vergil does is somewhat unsafe on block, majorly unsafe on whiff. Make sure you have a decent assist to cover you as you get in or play conservatively. If you have meter, use it to go into Devil Trigger and rush your opponent down using your very good air dash. If you need to make a move safe NOW, cancel into spiral swords (it comes out instantly and is safe) then go for a mix-up. Always be chargin' your sword ability since it can also make moves safe on block. Off of your OTG you can teleport down and super jump up to air grab them if they aren't being careful.

Another basic combo to do with Vergil in addition to the one Cinroth posted is:

(Light charge) c.m c.h f.h m.teleport wait slightly, s.h launcher s.h sword throw, wait slightly, s.h light judgment cut launcher, j.h j.dh df.h into hyper.

Deals about 600k damage, builds a decent amount of meter, can be done off of forward air throws. There's also a loop Virgil can do to burn a bunch of meter and deal decent damage but is a bit tricky to pull off:

(Light charge) Spiral Swords (opponent must be off the ground), j.dh into sword throw, s, s.h light judgment into Spiral Swords, repeat.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Phoenix Wright chat time! Please evaluate:

Been having a little success running Wright/Haggar/Dormammu. If you land a Dark Hole, it gives you time to grab two pieces of evidence on block or on hit.

At round start, I walk forward mashing Haggar assist and throw. Whether they get thrown or get hit by Haggar it gives you time to grab a piece of evidence.

Once I have three pieces of evidence, I switch to courtroom mode and start spamming projectiles. If they have a teleport, I'm just sitting back and waiting for them to teleport into Haggar assist for a free Objection, otherwise it's just a matter of zoning them until I can surprise with a j.S into Objection combo. Dark Hole assist tacked on to a ground combo gives you enough time to Object safely.

When Turnabout is on, its pure rushdown for 15 seconds. Between Paperwork and projectile spam, its easy to force them into the corner, where you can try and open them up with standing/crouching/jumping H and throws.

With five seconds left on the timer, I throw out a Paperwork H and raw tag to Dormammu. I don't really like Phoenix as the anchor, though; when Haggar comes out I'm mainly looking for a chance to DHC into Ace Attorney. His BNB combo can be extended with Break the Witness! after his OTG crouching H; after the wallbounce of Break the Witness, you can use Body Press hyper and DHC into Ace Attorney for a 100% combo (750k from Haggar BNB, 600k from Ace Attorney, 1.35k damage) for four bars.

The one thing I'm really looking for is a way to land a Haggar combo off of Break the Witness's wallbounce from midscreen. I never played Haggar in vanilla and so I don't know if there's any method to get over in time, since his wavedash is non-existent.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Cat Machine posted:

Hey Broken Loose, Deadpool has a winquote vs Spider-Man you make like ;)

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3448857&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=28#post397754599

Foolishness, Cat Machine. Foolishness.

FauxCyclops
Feb 25, 2007

I'm the man who killed Hostess. Now, say my name.
Please present me with all of your Firebrand strategies and combos so that I do not have to do any work.

Aside from magic series -> air magic series -> bon voyage -> medium heavy launcher -> air magic series -> hyper or crossover combo :)

You can also start this in midair if you connect a dive kick! Once they bounce back up into your melee range if you time it right you can just do air normals into bon voyage and continue as normal.

Easy relaunch BnB, but I'm lost for what I can do to end the combo aside from fire breath or a crossover!

Chocolate America
Nov 5, 2008

by garbage day

FZeroRacer posted:

Everything Vergil does is somewhat unsafe on block, majorly unsafe on whiff. Make sure you have a decent assist to cover you as you get in or play conservatively. If you have meter, use it to go into Devil Trigger and rush your opponent down using your very good air dash. If you need to make a move safe NOW, cancel into spiral swords (it comes out instantly and is safe) then go for a mix-up. Always be chargin' your sword ability since it can also make moves safe on block. Off of your OTG you can teleport down and super jump up to air grab them if they aren't being careful.

Another basic combo to do with Vergil in addition to the one Cinroth posted is:

(Light charge) c.m c.h f.h m.teleport wait slightly, s.h launcher s.h sword throw, wait slightly, s.h light judgment cut launcher, j.h j.dh df.h into hyper.

Deals about 600k damage, builds a decent amount of meter, can be done off of forward air throws. There's also a loop Virgil can do to burn a bunch of meter and deal decent damage but is a bit tricky to pull off:

(Light charge) Spiral Swords (opponent must be off the ground), j.dh into sword throw, s, s.h light judgment into Spiral Swords, repeat.

Thanks for the tips both of you. I appreciate it. I had no idea you could super jump after the OTG upslash move. That's really helpful.

However I'm an idiot and have more questions. What do you mean by "throw sword"? I don't see that in his command list. Is that the charge move?

I might end up replacing Vergil with Dr. Strange because I really do need a beam assist to help Wesker's gun and teleports. I also have no other beam assist to help Vergil get in so there's that too. Plus I screwed around with Strange a little last night and I liked what I saw. I also tried out the double beam assist and HOLY poo poo is that thing amazing.

Tetrakarn
Nov 1, 2011

Thanks for the tips both of you. I appreciate it. I had no idea you could super jump after the OTG upslash move. That's really helpful.

However I'm an idiot and have more questions. What do you mean by "throw sword"? I don't see that in his command list. Is that the charge move?

Hold a button, then release it when his hilt sparkles. Sorta like Zero. It hits like Trish's boomerang. Really useful.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

FauxCyclops posted:

Please present me with all of your Firebrand strategies and combos so that I do not have to do any work.

Aside from magic series -> air magic series -> bon voyage -> medium heavy launcher -> air magic series -> hyper or crossover combo :)

You can also start this in midair if you connect a dive kick! Once they bounce back up into your melee range if you time it right you can just do air normals into bon voyage and continue as normal.

Easy relaunch BnB, but I'm lost for what I can do to end the combo aside from fire breath or a crossover!
With Brand I usually do:
some ground string -> take u 4 a ride -> some variant of h,s depending on spacing -> j.mmh -> divekick, l elevator -> hs, j.mmhs -> super

I didn't know someone had already submitted the evidence. I'm in for a world of hurt!!

Chocolate America
Nov 5, 2008

by garbage day

Tetrakarn posted:

Hold a button, then release it when his hilt sparkles. Sorta like Zero. It hits like Trish's boomerang. Really useful.

Yeah that definitely was not in the command list. I'll give that a try tomorrow.

Anyone know what Strange's THC hyper is? I'll be honest that one of the things keeping Vergil on my team right now is that the Wesker/Vergil/Strider THC with mashing does some incredible damage.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Well, I just spent time running my Nova/Zero/Vergil team in some real matches (albeit with pretty much unplayable lag, seriously, goddamn Capcom), and I really like this team dynamic. I can do pretty much anything from anything with a TAC, which is great. As opposed to Vanilla, I'm not putting Zero on point this time around. In fact, I'm almost considering him as a vehicle for X-Factor, since it really seems like they buffed his XF3 speed to absolutely insane heights.

The only real problem is the lack of any real way to get in. Sure, I can deal really good damage and I have a number of unblockable/ambiguous reset setups, but I really eat it when it comes to range poo poo. :argh:

Edit: Actually, would anyone who has the guide care to check what buffs Zero gets in XF? I can compare it to my Vanilla guide.

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Nov 19, 2011

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Yeah that definitely was not in the command list. I'll give that a try tomorrow.

Anyone know what Strange's THC hyper is? I'll be honest that one of the things keeping Vergil on my team right now is that the Wesker/Vergil/Strider THC with mashing does some incredible damage.
I would assume it's the pillar for all three assists, since his other two are a counter and a cinematic.

Tetrakarn
Nov 1, 2011

That vertical beam super. It has to be that one because the other two are a counter super and a level 3, respectively. I think it would work fine with that setup, the only risk being lifting the enemy out of Strider's super. Would have to test it to be sure.

EDIT: It does indeed lift the enemy out of the dogpile. The other two supers have no problem connecting though.

Tetrakarn fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Nov 19, 2011

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

S-Alpha posted:

Well, I just spent time running my Nova/Zero/Vergil team in some real matches (albeit with pretty much unplayable lag, seriously, goddamn Capcom), and I really like this team dynamic. I can do pretty much anything from anything with a TAC, which is great. As opposed to Vanilla, I'm not putting Zero on point this time around. In fact, I'm almost considering him as a vehicle for X-Factor, since it really seems like they buffed his XF3 speed to absolutely insane heights.

The only real problem is the lack of any real way to get in. Sure, I can deal really good damage and I have a number of unblockable/ambiguous reset setups, but I really eat it when it comes to range poo poo. :argh:

Zero can zone decently with charged buster, hadangeki, and Vergil rapid slash assist.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
When are those special alternate costumes available for download? Like the one where Zero can look like X and so forth?

I ought to start playing online for the PS3 now.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I got myself a copy of UMvC3 - PS3 Andrew_E85 if you wanna have a go. Yeah, I'm not that good.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Is Hawkeye any good? You think he would work well with Spencer/Doom? He's just so badass and awesome, I think I want him on my team.

bomper
Apr 26, 2009

Vengarr posted:

Phoenix Wright chat time! Please evaluate:

Been having a little success running Wright/Haggar/Dormammu. If you land a Dark Hole, it gives you time to grab two pieces of evidence on block or on hit.

At round start, I walk forward mashing Haggar assist and throw. Whether they get thrown or get hit by Haggar it gives you time to grab a piece of evidence.

Once I have three pieces of evidence, I switch to courtroom mode and start spamming projectiles. If they have a teleport, I'm just sitting back and waiting for them to teleport into Haggar assist for a free Objection, otherwise it's just a matter of zoning them until I can surprise with a j.S into Objection combo. Dark Hole assist tacked on to a ground combo gives you enough time to Object safely.

When Turnabout is on, its pure rushdown for 15 seconds. Between Paperwork and projectile spam, its easy to force them into the corner, where you can try and open them up with standing/crouching/jumping H and throws.

With five seconds left on the timer, I throw out a Paperwork H and raw tag to Dormammu. I don't really like Phoenix as the anchor, though; when Haggar comes out I'm mainly looking for a chance to DHC into Ace Attorney. His BNB combo can be extended with Break the Witness! after his OTG crouching H; after the wallbounce of Break the Witness, you can use Body Press hyper and DHC into Ace Attorney for a 100% combo (750k from Haggar BNB, 600k from Ace Attorney, 1.35k damage) for four bars.

The one thing I'm really looking for is a way to land a Haggar combo off of Break the Witness's wallbounce from midscreen. I never played Haggar in vanilla and so I don't know if there's any method to get over in time, since his wavedash is non-existent.

How about Dormammu on point? When you kill (snapback?) you throw the ball and force them to block while you raw tag for 4-5 evidence? It feels a lot more stable than dealing with rushdown/teleport right off the bat.

I would imagine PW's and Haggar's roles overlap too much. They both have no mobility and similar assists that don't really benefit each other when it comes to chasing the enemy down, and that's probably why you don't like tagging straight to Haggar. I think Dorm and Phoenix could really benefit from a horizontal assist like Doom/Sentinel (while switching Dorm to pillar).

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Gammatron 64 posted:

Is Hawkeye any good? You think he would work well with Spencer/Doom? He's just so badass and awesome, I think I want him on my team.

Well so far Hawkeye is looking stupid strong. Combofiend uses Hawkeye and Spencer and right it seems Doom just goes with every team you can think of so yeah.

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~
I learned from the guide today that you can't XFC level 3 hypers now and that combos scale properly on assist characters when the point character blocks you. Also, no difference in X-Factor timers between characters.

S-Alpha posted:

Actually, would anyone who has the guide care to check what buffs Zero gets in XF? I can compare it to my Vanilla guide.

He gets 120% damage and speed in XF1, 140% damage & 130% speed in XF2, and 160% damage & 140% speed in XF3.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
Are there any characters that can do the crossover counter (the forward+assist thing while blocking) into an invincible attack and follow it up with a combo that builds back that bar of meter? Are there, perhaps, 3 such characters...?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

FauxCyclops posted:

You can get 3 launches if you do:

ground combo-> launch, bbc down+c, then do qcb+a to land.
Launch again, bbc xx surfboard move,
launch one last time, c, s, otg super.

Afaik this is his most damaging basic combo. Make sure after the surfboard you dash back out of the corner and then launch. That way you'll be up close when you super to get max damage.

Tips: Pick beam or projectile assist, when you make them block call the assist and cancel into dp+b which passes through them. This is a good crossup. You can do dp+a to not pass through them once they know what to expect.

The surfboard is really high-priority, so I highly recommend throwing it out in air-to-air situations. Call an assist first if you have a good one, to make it safe in case they block.

A good setup when you kill a character is to throw an air C fireball, then cancel it into his power up super. Then meet the incoming character in the air so they have to block the fire carpet. Then do whatever mixup.

A strong mixup is to do a standing attack and cancel it into qcb+b. This puts you behind the opponent, and you can press S to hit them on the back of the head, or do qcb+l to land and hit them low. Very hard to block.

Overall I recommend more than anything you get a good projectile assist. I use sentinel drones and it makes him a really powerful character.

Jmcrofts fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Nov 19, 2011

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Jmcrofts posted:

You can get 3 launches if you do:

ground combo-> launch, bbc down+c, then do qcb+a to land.
Launch again, bbc xx surfboard move,
launch one last time, c, s, otg super.

I'm not near my xbox at the moment. What's the damage like on this? I've been trying really hard to get Firebrand over 500k with one bar but it's really really hard.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Somehow I didn't think of this until I read the idea on SRK or somewhere, but Tron Lunch Rush DHCed as soon as the bullet connects into Frank's QCB super (whiffs) gives him time to take three photos (midscreen, at least, maybe not in corner), guaranteeing Level 5 Frank. Of course, Tron might not end up being usable enough to be worth the easy setup.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

bomper posted:

How about Dormammu on point? When you kill (snapback?) you throw the ball and force them to block while you raw tag for 4-5 evidence? It feels a lot more stable than dealing with rushdown/teleport right off the bat.

I would imagine PW's and Haggar's roles overlap too much. They both have no mobility and similar assists that don't really benefit each other when it comes to chasing the enemy down, and that's probably why you don't like tagging straight to Haggar. I think Dorm and Phoenix could really benefit from a horizontal assist like Doom/Sentinel (while switching Dorm to pillar).

I rolled Phoenix/Doom/Dormammu at first, but teleport characters just ate Nick for breakfast. I really, really wish Tron still had the invincible Gustaff Fire, since she could combo off of a Break The Witness wallbounce with her drill.

Tried using Iron Man with Repulsar Blast to catch teleporters, but he comes out way too slow. All it meant was lots and lots of happy birthdays for Vergil and Dante.

Other options I haven't tested: Frank with the shopping cart, Hulk with anti-air Gamma Charge, Rocket Racoon's claymore.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sade posted:

I'm not near my xbox at the moment. What's the damage like on this? I've been trying really hard to get Firebrand over 500k with one bar but it's really really hard.

I'm not sure offhand but it's over 500k I'm pretty sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Somehow I didn't think of this until I read the idea on SRK or somewhere, but Tron Lunch Rush DHCed as soon as the bullet connects into Frank's QCB super (whiffs) gives him time to take three photos (midscreen, at least, maybe not in corner), guaranteeing Level 5 Frank. Of course, Tron might not end up being usable enough to be worth the easy setup.

There are so many characters Frank can do this with that tron isn't really worth using unfortunately.

• Locked thread