Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

wallaka posted:

Replaced the stupid Mercedes upright springer hood ornament on the 55 with something more to my taste and less old-man-ish.

I love my Mercedes upright. It's my gunsight. PEW PEW...GET THE gently caress OUT OF MY WAY, CAMRY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Track day at NJMP today, my first. That was a god damned blast, and my car was about 100% more capable than I expected. So much damned fun.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.
And now you're hooked. ;)

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I finally finished rebuilding the 4T65E out of my wife's Grand Prix. Took me probably 60-80 hours all said and done and that was with a second person helping. It was my first automatic transmission rebuild, plus I didn't cut any corners and replaced anything that looked remotely questionable, so I'm sure I could cut down the time quite a bit next time around. The problem was the forward apply band so it wouldn't engage drive, the rest of the transmission was in excellent shape. Check out how clean this valve body was for having 200k on it:

Went ahead and did the ball joints and blown-out motor mount while I had the subframe down, this thing better be good for another 100k.

Lucky me the day before I had her car back on the road she drove my IS300 into a rock and did a couple hundred bucks worth the body damage as well as curbing a wheel I just had repainted and taking a chunk out of my brand new tire. The icing on the cake was my rear brake line blowing out on my Comanche while driving home a bedfull of firewood tonight. I guess the reason I own 4 used cars is so I always have something to drive while another one is down. Still beats the hell out of car payments.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

tonedef131 posted:

I finally finished rebuilding the 4T65E out of my wife's Grand Prix. Took me probably 60-80 hours all said and done and that was with a second person helping. It was my first automatic transmission rebuild, plus I didn't cut any corners and replaced anything that looked remotely questionable, so I'm sure I could cut down the time quite a bit next time around. The problem was the forward apply band so it wouldn't engage drive, the rest of the transmission was in excellent shape. Check out how clean this valve body was for having 200k on it:

Went ahead and did the ball joints and blown-out motor mount while I had the subframe down, this thing better be good for another 100k.

You... You... you let the magics out! :stare:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
after four months of sitting I finally got my brothers X20SE Head rebuilt. Those valve springs are ultra countersunk and a bitch to put back on.

No leaks though on any of the valves. :smug:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

TrueChaos posted:

You... You... you let the magics out! :stare:

There are ways of getting the magic back in with proper books and knowledge. :eng101:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Sockington posted:

There are ways of getting the magic back in with proper books and knowledge. :eng101:

oh my god this is the best picture.

I need this for a friend, but with wires and motorcycles.

Quellar
Dec 21, 2007
quit staring at me
Today I replaced the front O2 sensor on my 02 new beetle, which just got back from the shop with a new ECT thermostat. Not exactly a transmission rebuild but it was satisfying to get done nonetheless, I love getting my car up on jacks and poking around.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

More :rice:

What do you need a a cheater bar for?

For a crank pulley bolt that's torqued to 150 ft/lbs plus 90 degrees. Note the size of the bolt next to the socket.

This should wake it up a bit. 180mm crank pulley. It's good for another few pounds of boost. Uprated intercooler pumps come next.

Pretty easy install, took me about 3 hours. Had to pull the belly pans in order to lock the flywheel, but they were surprisingly easy after dealing with the M3's crap. There were only 8 bolts, all exposed and easily found. The fan comes out through the top after the core support is pulled-another 8 bolts, again easy. Unsnap the coolant hoses from the shroud and it pulls right up. The pulley was on there pretty damned tight, but it eventually came loose and out.

The hardest part was putting the inner serpentine belt back on; the crank pulley is in front of the tensioner now. I finally found a way with the prybar and the rest was a snap. Eurocharged is putting a tune on it in a couple of hours and it's done.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

wallaka posted:

More :rice:

What do you need a a cheater bar for?

For a crank pulley bolt that's torqued to 150 ft/lbs plus 90 degrees. Note the size of the bolt next to the socket.

This should wake it up a bit. 180mm crank pulley. It's good for another few pounds of boost. Uprated intercooler pumps come next.

Pretty easy install, took me about 3 hours. Had to pull the belly pans in order to lock the flywheel, but they were surprisingly easy after dealing with the M3's crap. There were only 8 bolts, all exposed and easily found. The fan comes out through the top after the core support is pulled-another 8 bolts, again easy. Unsnap the coolant hoses from the shroud and it pulls right up. The pulley was on there pretty damned tight, but it eventually came loose and out.

The hardest part was putting the inner serpentine belt back on; the crank pulley is in front of the tensioner now. I finally found a way with the prybar and the rest was a snap. Eurocharged is putting a tune on it in a couple of hours and it's done.

Haha that's a familiar looking USB cable you got there :v:

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Das Volk posted:

Haha that's a familiar looking USB cable you got there :v:

Yeah I have another one that looks just like it for my motorcycle. I imagine they're all the same--USB-serial converter with the OBD connector.

Tytanium
Oct 27, 2006

YASSEAH!
Dropped a valve in the cylinder when doing valve stem seals :negative:

Did all the other 120k stuff (oil pump, water pump, timing belt, tensioner, pulleys, fuel filter, spark plugs/wires. Fixed two exhaust leaks, and replaced a blown out exhaust gasket.

Now I have to dig the rear head out and get the valve back in :suicide:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
annnnd I dropped the head off of the workbench and it smashed a cam gear to bits.

At least there wasn't any other damage, but god drat does this car hate me. :smith:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Tytanium posted:

Dropped a valve in the cylinder when doing valve stem seals :negative:

Did all the other 120k stuff (oil pump, water pump, timing belt, tensioner, pulleys, fuel filter, spark plugs/wires. Fixed two exhaust leaks, and replaced a blown out exhaust gasket.

Now I have to dig the rear head out and get the valve back in :suicide:

Three feet of nylon rope. Push it into the cylinder through the spark plug hole before you do any head work. I also do the same thing when I have to work on my motorcycle's clutch to keep the engine from turning over while I undo the bigass bolt.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Geirskogul posted:

Three feet of nylon rope. Push it into the cylinder through the spark plug hole before you do any head work. I also do the same thing when I have to work on my motorcycle's clutch to keep the engine from turning over while I undo the bigass bolt.

I agree. I also have a spark plug hole air compressor attachment but have never used it. I intend on misusing it one day on the Tecumseh mower for fun.
Uh anyway it came with an in head valve spring tool.

So, today, I checked 3/4 of the spark plugs on the VW. After the first three and the position of the 4th I concluded I had seen all I needed too. There was fuel-stinky with loose twiddly bit on top (explains why it may not have been firing), wet but not smelling of anything (Oh no coolant probably), and wet with amber oil and smelling of oil too (How the hell is that possible on an EA81? The plug is up the top and the oil is down the bottom!). The fourth plug is probably radioactive or something.

I went hunting for those push in gauge light holders. Was looking for the two terminal plastic type so I can use the damned earth modulating PWM controller for the instruments. I also thought about how to install a nice internal shunt VDO ammeter I just got for $5.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

ratbert90 posted:

annnnd I dropped the head off of the workbench and it smashed a cam gear to bits.

At least there wasn't any other damage, but god drat does this car hate me. :smith:

jesus gently caress. how high is your work bench? I used the cam+gear from a CB750 to do all sorts of destructive things including dig a hole in my driveway and pry apart an alternator. It still looks surprisingly immaculate.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Went out and bought a T40 Torx Bit (Are those things even called bit in the US?) to replace the thermostat on my volvo 850. Couldn't find one so i bought a whole bit set with one in it. Because you can never have too much bits! Well after getting one screw out i dropped the bit and it vanished somewhere in my engine compartment. So i went out to another shop and found a single T40 bit turning this whole 15 minute repair into a 45 minute "driving around town cursing"-session.
Still worth it though. Now i know that the temperature gauge actually moves and doesn't just stay on "very cold"!

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
As a Volvo owner myself, I think very highly of the extended Lisle impact Torx set. They're 6-pointed chisels that hammer straight into just about any other bolt or screw.

On the other hand, all I've done lately is worry about whether the clunk in my steering is going to kill me on the way to and from work. And lament throwing away my glovebox.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Splizwarf posted:

As a Volvo owner myself, I think very highly of the extended Lisle impact Torx set. They're 6-pointed chisels that hammer straight into just about any other bolt or screw.

On the other hand, all I've done lately is worry about whether the clunk in my steering is going to kill me on the way to and from work. And lament throwing away my glovebox.

Yeah my strut bearings are pretty much gone so i get a lot of clunking too. But theres just no money left over for that right know. Not after the Volvo decided it didn't really like the old radiator that much so it blew it up.
drat it Volvo, why do you make it so hard to love you!

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
The trouble is that my bad strut bearing is 6 months old and the sound started about 4 months ago. :(

gently caress you and your temptingly-low-priced crapshoot, Uro!

ry
Apr 14, 2003
So after a few months I finally got around to pulling the head off of my 1997 Saab 900SE with 100K which overheated and blew the HG

Valve cover removed - Everything looks pretty good from above no sludge or build-up.

Head removed - There is rather bad buildup on the intake manifold but I believe that was caused by some radiator/coolant additives and I'm replacing the entire cooling system.

The cylinder walls look good to my untrained eye as you can still see the factory honing.

I assume this is the HG's point of failure, though it had low compression on both #2 and #3.

And finally the valves from below, Notice they are not all seated properly but it doesn't look like a catastrophic event (bent valves?) occurred to me as they are lifted in sets.

I am planning to take the head to a machine shop for cleaning and resurfacing.

Looking forward to getting this car back on the road!

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
After some snafus and slow shipping, I finally got my snow tires + steelies mounted and balanced. Schwab quoted me something like $560 for a set of snow tires without rims or mounting, and through craigslist + ebay I managed to get four tires and rims on the car for $420. :woop:

Javid fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Nov 19, 2011

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Had the Pirelli Winter Carving snow tires I bought for my wife's Mazda 6 last year mounted today. Its a bit earlier than I would have preferred (daytime highs are still in the low to mid 50s) but I had it done for free by my friend who works as a diesel mechanic at a shop that does both cars and large trucks because his boss was out of town today.

Also found out her rear brakes are in dire need of replacement.

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what
a few days ago i converted my car from automatic to manual. i've been wanting to do this for, like, ever.

i spilled coffee everywhere in the process :(

Mike_P
Aug 4, 2006

"I dunnoooow"
Finally put it together. Had most of the rear suspension apart to replace a leaky fuel tank. Was waiting on some new hardware to arrive before I could finish assembly.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

The Rocket Salad posted:

a few days ago i converted my car from automatic to manual. i've been wanting to do this for, like, ever.

i spilled coffee everywhere in the process :(

E34?

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Crustashio posted:

E34?
Definitely. A 525i that he's had since new, apparently. :stare:

The Rocket Salad posted:

i converted my car from automatic to manual
Pretty awesome, man. Where did you end up getting the pedal cluster from? I'm kind of having trouble finding a cheap good used one. Mind if I e-mail you a couple questions about the swap?

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what

Lowclock posted:

Definitely. A 525i that he's had since new, apparently. :stare:

This is true. It's a very good car. It's build date is 4/9/92, the day before my birthday :haw:

quote:

Pretty awesome, man. Where did you end up getting the pedal cluster from? I'm kind of having trouble finding a cheap good used one. Mind if I e-mail you a couple questions about the swap?
I got the pedal cluster complete from a little place called Continental Something-or-other near Philly. Email away, rocketsalad (at) gmail, but really, it turns out E34's are super simple. I've never tried this kind of swap before and the whole time I was amazed how basic it really is.

I'm told that grounding pin 25 on the DME will get rid of the annoying TRANS PROGRAM message and binging.

The Rocket Salad fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Nov 19, 2011

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Was helping a friend work on his car, and went to pop my hood to look at something. Noticed my belt tensioner is broken :gonk:

Amazingly, the spring and piston are still keeping tension so hopefully they hold out till the new one shows up

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nodoze fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Nov 21, 2011

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

Mike_P posted:

Finally put it together. Had most of the rear suspension apart to replace a leaky fuel tank. Was waiting on some new hardware to arrive before I could finish assembly.

Oh god I feel your pain I had to replace a pump on my 1986 third gen.

Wrapped my secondhand $80 header (msrp like 500!) and put it on my 08 Si. Header wrap smokes like crazy for 10 minutes or so!

New header, wrapped. It's a CT-Engineering stainless shorty. I wanted to keep stock emissions equipment.

Stock Si header.

The sled.

Timbo
Jun 18, 2005

He was just another drifter who broke the law!
YAY! For redneck engineering! Can't get the bracket tight enough ....Zip tie it. What wont these things do.

(cross posted from my barn find thread)

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

Timbo posted:

YAY! For redneck engineering! Can't get the bracket tight enough ....Zip tie it. What wont these things do.

(cross posted from my barn find thread)

The actual replacement was done at my place. The coil needs to be swapped with the one that has an internal resistor. We also seafoamed it, and had no real smoke to show for it, which actually reflects very well on the fact that timbo had done a bunch of work with oil changes and whatnot. It needs a carb rebuild and a few other things as well. Not bad though!

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer
With the long weekend I finally had some time to take the car to the local exhaust shop and get a new turbo exhaust system installed. The car sounds more aggressive then any Yaris is meant to be with the upgraded piping + Magnaflow 2.25" exhaust! I got a few thumbs up on the drive home haha.

Now I need to paint it with some sort of high-temp black paint so it's less flashy.

Conelrad fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Nov 26, 2011

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Podothehobbit posted:

With the long weekend I finally had some time to take the car to the local exhaust shop and get a new turbo exhaust system installed. The car sounds more aggressive then any Yaris is meant to be with the upgraded piping + Magnaflow 2.25" exhaust! I got a few thumbs up on the drive home haha.

Now I need to paint it with some sort of high-temp black paint so it's less flashy.

Hell yes! I love your car so much!

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Podothehobbit posted:

That muffler looks like it hangs down way too far below the bumper. Did you try tucking it up at all? Or is it just a weird camera angle?

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Hell yes! I love your car so much!

It's such a stupid car now and I love it!

Imperador do Brasil posted:

That muffler looks like it hangs down way too far below the bumper. Did you try tucking it up at all? Or is it just a weird camera angle?

It's a weird camera angle, it's pretty well braced as high as it can go against the bumper. It still hangs about 1.5" above the rear swaybar. Haven't dragged the muffler over a speedbump or my angled driveway yet!

Conelrad fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Nov 26, 2011

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Did you ever hit the dyno or were you waiting until you added the exhaust?

I love the license plate too

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
The car developed a pinhole leak in a coolant hose. I am stupid and completely ignored the warning signs until it had split and was blowing steam everywhere. Luckily I didn't overheat it and got it to a NAPA and got the hose replaced. Despite my best attempts at caution, I still managed to slice the top of my knuckle off with a utility knife while cutting the new hose to length. Like, the blade must have been absolutely perpendicular to my finger. I couldn't do that again if you paid me a million dollars.

It was literally like when Itchy takes a chainsaw to Scratchy's pectorals and biceps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQZA_VVvmsA

Wouldn't stop bleeding on its own either. You could see the individual capillaries as they leaked out. :unsmigghh:

e: I guess this is as much what I did to myself as what I did to the car. :v: Also somehow the battery died while we were trying to figure out how to limp the car to the parts store. The ignition and lights were completely off too :psyduck:

Panty Saluter fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Nov 26, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Replaced my belt tensioner!

old and broken:

new and shiny

The piston was pretty shot, and the belt tension stop snapped in half. Second one of those I have had break :argh:

It was nice to go out and hit some windy roads after a week of not driving it or babying the hell out of it in fear the spring would give out and snap the assembly :haw: