Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orthogonalus
Feb 26, 2008
Right angles ONLY

Incredulous Dylan posted:

My soundcard is a ASUS Xonar Essence STX. Basically I'm running my line out of my guitar, into my multi effects processor and then out of the L Amp Out (mono) on the processor into my souncard's line in. Oh boy, I just saw that the headphone port also says "Rec Out" so I may have just been using a totally wrong port! It would suck to not be able to hear what I sound like while I'm playing but I think that's what I need to do. The unfortunate thing with the Xonar is while I think its great for playing music theres a small delay if you are monitoring the line in and it really fucks with you if you are playing and listening

Yeah, I have the Boss ME-25, and the line out is meant to go into a cabinet, but if you plug into the headphone port it'll turn on the cab sim. Which you'll want when recording directly on the computer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spammy davis jr
Mar 21, 2009

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Might as well ask a question since it has been bugging me. I'm really wanting to get into the blues. I'm comfortable with the basics, 12 bar (and standard variations) in all 12 keys, a few basic licks to spice things up and I can put together an average at best solo over someone else putting down a the rhythm. But I really want to get into it and I'm a bit stuck, never really got exposed to it when growing up and non of my friends are into it. So where to go from here?

Is there a site out there that will guide me through the blues? Can anyone recommend me a few people to check out and emulate, especially acoustic blues rather than electric. I know all (most) the big name players, your kings, hendrix, stevie ray etc, but can find very little acoustic blues.

There are a HUGE amount of acoustic players, though a lot of it is from the '20s, '30s, and '40s. The first artist that comes to mind for me is Robert Johnson, but there are a ton of others, like Lead Belly, Blind Lemon Jefferson, Tommy Johnson, Elmore James, Ry Cooder, Howlin' Wolf, R. L. Burnside, John Lee Hooker, Mississippi Fred McDowell, Charley Patton, Johnny Shines, and Bukka White to name some - most of those guys have at least some acoustic stuff.

Keep in mind that in the beginning, guys playing electric blues guitar were only doing it because they could finally compete with a band, so a lot of that stuff translates back to acoustic fairly well.

One way to find cool old music is to go find guitarists you like and see who influenced them. Wikipedia and fan sites will be your friends there. Then find out who influenced those guys, and so on.

My soundcard is a ASUS Xonar Essence STX. Basically I'm running my line out of my guitar, into my multi effects processor and then out of the L Amp Out (mono) on the processor into my souncard's line in. Oh boy, I just saw that the headphone port also says "Rec Out" so I may have just been using a totally wrong port! It would suck to not be able to hear what I sound like while I'm playing but I think that's what I need to do. The unfortunate thing with the Xonar is while I think its great for playing music theres a small delay if you are monitoring the line in and it really fucks with you if you are playing and listening

Your soundcard isn't made for recording - that's a part of it. You'll want to ask "how much am I willing to spend on recording?" and go from there.

As far as the "hearing what I'm playing" thing is concerned, you'll actually want to use some sort of DAW that lets you monitor sounds you're recording. Use ASIO drivers for your card (if it's supported) and start tweaking your buffers until you get it as low as you can. Just remember - latency is a fact of life. How low you can get it depends on how much horsepower your computer has.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks for all of the excellent information, guys! Pretty much covers everything I need to know to get started

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Anybody have a ESP eclipse 2 by any chance and if yes how do you like it?

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Anyone else love Tanglewood guitars? Dunno if you can get them in the states easily or not? But am I the only one who thinks pretty much every guitar they make is fantastic for the price? (Talking Acoustics here).

I have one myself which is my go to acoustic, but went around a local shop that has quite a few of them and I was falling for every one I played. Even dropping down to the bottom end of their range which is ~£200 easily in the scope for a beginner guitar.

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Might as well ask a question since it has been bugging me. I'm really wanting to get into the blues. I'm comfortable with the basics, 12 bar (and standard variations) in all 12 keys, a few basic licks to spice things up and I can put together an average at best solo over someone else putting down a the rhythm. But I really want to get into it and I'm a bit stuck, never really got exposed to it when growing up and non of my friends are into it. So where to go from here?

Is there a site out there that will guide me through the blues? Can anyone recommend me a few people to check out and emulate, especially acoustic blues rather than electric. I know all (most) the big name players, your kings, hendrix, stevie ray etc, but can find very little acoustic blues.

Open tunings are key, mess around in open G for awhile, I think you'll like it.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

I ran an all-blues internet radio show for a while where I would set up a flow throughout the different blues eras and get drunk and talk over the music horribly but also talk about the artists : ). I actually have them archived in a new thread for the goon DJ station Ghettoradio so feel free to check it out. Blues episodes are prefaces with "TCS" or some variation of (for The Chicken Shack). Be forewarned - I was even worse of a DJ back then but I will say I played it all. If you have a question about what a particular song is let me know and I'll try and consult my playlist from that night. I often switched things around on the fly but there's a good chance I'd remember who did it.

For acoustic blues some names off the top of my head in NO order -

Mississippi John Hurt - Not only a very unique blues sound but also a humble, excellent human being. I often included him in the "wind down" tempo portions of my show because he has something of a whispering singing style and a very gentle and melodic way of playing. Spent the majority of his life working on farms and playing for parties. Released a few unsuccessful recordings back in the 20s before being re-discovered 40 years later. I think his Coffee Blues is another great showcasing of his style!

Son House - You likely already know of him but I figured I would link to a video of him playing so you could see how he handles the guitar. Hard to find a more expressive and raw emotional interpretation of the early blues

John Cephas and Phil Wiggins - A duo every bit as good as Sonny & Terry IMO. While they joined up together after the "golden era" of the blues revival they are both excellent blues players who really just sound better together (the same could have been said for Willie Big Eyes & Pinetop Perkins - not acoustic players though).

Not much free time left at work. Other greats include Reverend Gary Davis, Lonnie Johnson (not an acoustic video but shows him playing) and Lightnin' Hopkins.

One last artists who is not really a "blues" man (more folk with occasional blues) but combined all styles and in my opinion should be looked up to by any aspiring acoustic player - Davy Graham. Flavors of east and west, old and new in all of his compositions. One man on guitar who manages to sound like two (at minimum!) and helped in the revival of the folk movement during the 60s. If you've heard of DADGAD or Jimmy Page you likely already know of him but if you didn't there you go!

Incredulous Dylan fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Nov 21, 2011

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

Listen to some John Fahey, he basically pioneered acoustic American music.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

global tetrahedron posted:

Open tunings are key, mess around in open G for awhile, I think you'll like it.

I do need to sit down on fiddle with some open tunings, don't know what its call but the one that's CGE(?)GCC, the tuning for skinny love basically is fantastic.

I'll check out that radio station while I'm at work as well.

Thanks for the recommendations guys.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

keyframe posted:

Anybody have a ESP eclipse 2 by any chance and if yes how do you like it?

This might be handy if nobody can chime in:
http://bbs.espguitars.com/showthread.php?t=56287

(and the rest of the forum if you dig around)

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 21, 2011

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Wow, what a train wreck of a thread that was.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Yeah, hence the edit after I read past the first few details :v:

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Yea that thread was terrible. I was hoping for some hands on info from goons. In any case I managed to play it today and fell in love with it so getting it tomorrow :unsmith:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I absolutely adore Japanese made guitars, ESP in particular.

Also that's what the ESP board is like pretty much all the time, they have their own thing going.

Glorks!
May 4, 2005
Too lazy to browse my hard drive for good avatars since 2007.

I ran an all-blues internet radio show for a while where I would set up a flow throughout the different blues eras and... :words:

Oh wow. Thank you so much for this post. I'm much more of a novice on guitar than the person who asked this question, but this is definitely one of the main styles I want to aim for as a guitarist. It's been rather difficult trying to transition out of the classical world for me (while learning guitar at the same time), and the more unique inspiration I can get, the better.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Anyone have any thoughts on the Washburn D100CE acoustic/electric?

I've been taking lessons for the electric guitar and starting to gain some confidence (my wife doesn't put on her shotgunner hearing protection when I play anymore). My instructor is cool with teaching me on an acoustic if I ever feel like bringing one in.

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I just have no idea if there's anything weird or unfriendly about the Washburn I have. I mean, I've had it for quite a while and never got far with it, but I never really applied myself either. The only thing I can say for sure is that it was the nicest sounding acoustic/electric in my price range when I bought it way back when. But I'm not opposed to selling it to put towards another acoustic or acoustic/electric either.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Pretentious Turtle posted:

I absolutely adore Japanese made guitars, ESP in particular.

Also that's what the ESP board is like pretty much all the time, they have their own thing going.

Yea out of all the guitars I tried the ESP eclipse is the one that made me go "holy poo poo!" when I played it. It is an amazing guitar.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

^^^ And then you busted out More Than A Feeling in the guitar store. DIDN'T YOU

ibntumart posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on the Washburn D100CE acoustic/electric?

I've been taking lessons for the electric guitar and starting to gain some confidence (my wife doesn't put on her shotgunner hearing protection when I play anymore). My instructor is cool with teaching me on an acoustic if I ever feel like bringing one in.

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I just have no idea if there's anything weird or unfriendly about the Washburn I have. I mean, I've had it for quite a while and never got far with it, but I never really applied myself either. The only thing I can say for sure is that it was the nicest sounding acoustic/electric in my price range when I bought it way back when. But I'm not opposed to selling it to put towards another acoustic or acoustic/electric either.

Looking at this it might basically be a variation on the D10 CE, and a quick scout around the internets gives me the impression that it's a decent budget instrument, so probably nothing's going to fall off at any point ;) You might need to get it set up (a guitar shop will adjust the string height and intonation and maybe a couple of other tweaks to make it play easier) but it might be fine as is, your instructor can let you know if there's anything making it unnecessarily hard to play.

Basically if it sounds good to you then that's the main thing, and an upgrade can wait until you're feeling its limitations - then you'll have a better appreciation of what you're looking for, too

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

Yeah, I'd second taking it to your instructor and asking him to give it a once over, and also ask him to play something you like on it, just so you know it can still produce those nice sounds that made you buy it.

Also you note that you didn't really apply yourself, the first few stages, are a massive bitch, you really need to give it your all for a while to really get the basics down, then you can step on and off the gas when the mood takes you and as long as you don't leave it forever between picking it up, it'll never leave you.

Although once you can make pretty pretty things (or killer killer things) come out that bit of wood, you wont be able to stop yourself picking it up, while the kettle boils, while you wait for the phone to ring, on ad breaks, during shows, before bed, while you wait for tea, while you eat tea, while you sleep, etc.

SovietSpyGuy
Jun 22, 2007
Musical goons, some advice/consult needed.

I've been playing guitar (poorly) for years, and all I own is an electric + amp + some effects. I've been wanting an acoustic guitar for a while and as luck would have it a coworker of mine is selling an Epiphone Masterbilt DR-500PNS for $300. Cheapest prices I found online were around $380 for a used one and between $500-600 for a new one.

Has anyone played this guitar or one extremely similar (DR-500 something)? I played it a bit and I do like it, since all the acoustics I've ever played were horribly lovely cheap pieces of garbage. This one is actually easy to play and has no buzzing and an action that isn't 10 feet off the fretboard.

So, basically I like the guitar and provided it's in good condition (and it will be) I'm just about ready to buy it unless someone can give me a good reason not to.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
This sounds like the best reason to buy a guitar I can think of.

SovietSpyGuy
Jun 22, 2007
Can't tell if you're serious...or if I'm dumb for reasons I don't have a full awareness of...

EDIT: Either way, it sounds very good and is in good condition and the few "real" reviews of that line of guitars I found seem to be favorable.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Thanks for the advice! I'll stop worrying too much, then, until I have my instructor look it over. And if need be, getting it set up is easy enough as I have a music store not a mile away from where I live.

Cast_No_Shadow, you're right about the obsession: now that I have a few songs under my belt on the electric, every time I sit down for a 20 minute practice session I wind up closer to an hour. My wife already is learning to hate "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" and "Let It Be" before much longer, I fear.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

baka kaba posted:

^^^ And then you busted out More Than A Feeling in the guitar store. DIDN'T YOU

How did you know? :negative:

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

ibntumart posted:

Thanks for the advice! I'll stop worrying too much, then, until I have my instructor look it over. And if need be, getting it set up is easy enough as I have a music store not a mile away from where I live.

Cast_No_Shadow, you're right about the obsession: now that I have a few songs under my belt on the electric, every time I sit down for a 20 minute practice session I wind up closer to an hour. My wife already is learning to hate "Knockin' On Heaven's Door" and "Let It Be" before much longer, I fear.

If you're not already go through the beginners course at https://www.justinguitar.com I'm currently running my missus through it as she wanted to learn and its pretty good at covering everything you need and getting songs under your belt fast.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I resent the negative post in the OP, I actually have had quite a few good experiences with staff in Guitar Centers. Of course they're still there to SELL you something, but as long as you were looking to buy something right that moment they were pretty patient and offered some okay advice. They're also pretty good about their return policy.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

If you're not already go through the beginners course at https://www.justinguitar.com I'm currently running my missus through it as she wanted to learn and its pretty good at covering everything you need and getting songs under your belt fast.

Never heard of the site till now, but I've been watching a few videos and I like it. Thanks!

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

NTT posted:

I resent the negative post in the OP, I actually have had quite a few good experiences with staff in Guitar Centers. Of course they're still there to SELL you something, but as long as you were looking to buy something right that moment they were pretty patient and offered some okay advice. They're also pretty good about their return policy.

I think the problem with GC is threefold.

1) They are a national chain and generally large retail businesses treat their employees like poo poo. (Read why I no longer desire to work retail in BFC for a trillion examples of scummy things). They pay low and employing knowledgeable, helpful guitar centric people is not their priority. People who can get 100 people to buy 100 strat's in 10 hours regardless of what they want or anything else, these people get jobs at GC. Obviously some people who work their are totally awesome just doing a job selling things they love and will actually help, you can't believe thats standard given the situation though.

2) They will charge you full price. They will not sell you a new guitar. Sound odd? Go in, sit down somewhere and watch. They let anyone and everyone get their grubby meat hooks all over everything. Obviously, a smaller shop will also let people play guitars, but the difference is two fold. Traffic levels and a general care for the guitar as well. I can't say for certain, but I'd say the clients of most small local shops are usually more into their guitar as well.

3) This is the beginner thread. As a beginner, most people are not confident about well anything much. They are far more easily sold a line, or impressed by an employee playing a scale in 16th notes at 140bpm, or just plain not knowledgeable enough to be able to tell if a guitar is a dud or damaged. Sure you have local shops that will take advantage but the chances are lower, they want your repeat business, they know a lot of guitar players if they get going with something nice will be back again, and again, and again, and again. If I won the lottery or something I'd probably end up paying off my local shops mortgage or something as I'd buy half of everything in there.

Overall its a general thing, you'll find examples of both that contradict the above, but when your giving internet advice like this, you can only really shoot for averages and hope.

For example there is a different small local shop near me, when I first started I thought it was the coolest guitar shop ever, as I got more into things and talked to people I discovered its a sham, the owner is a fraudster (think he is doing time now), re-badging guitars and plain old making poo poo up to trick people who don't know better.

As always for beginners, when you go buy a guitar, GC is really useful for having a gently caress load of guitars you can piss about on all day and find things you like. Thats about it. And always take the most knowledgeable, helpful friend you know to help you buy, even if it costs you a few beers or whatever.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

ibntumart posted:

Never heard of the site till now, but I've been watching a few videos and I like it. Thanks!

Its like some guitar bible, wish I had it years ago when I first started. If you work through the beginners course on the side, which might take what? A few months? Then you'll be able to handle pretty much anything most rock\pop\chart type songs throw at you and learn them pretty quickly as well as have picked up some nice skills around blues and improvising some cool solo stuff.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Yeah it's ace, he's put a lot of effort into the course structure and producing each lesson, and using the videos to get across all the key points and cover anything that might pop up as a question. Pretty sure he's redoing a lot of the older videos as well for nice HD clarity. There really isn't a lot else like it, not so comprehensive anyway - it's just fantastic that he's created it for free. It brings the internet's score up a few points

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

wall of text

Your third point is your strongest by far. I suppose I don't mind the place so is because I already know what I'm looking for and I won't get tricked into buying like a 100 dollar B.C. Rich because I like how it looks (which I don't; B.C. Rich entry level guitars are some of the worst by far, in my opinion.) I can agree with not allowing a new player in there alone; he might get bossed into buying something he doesn't want or need.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

NTT posted:

Your third point is your strongest by far. I suppose I don't mind the place so is because I already know what I'm looking for and I won't get tricked into buying like a 100 dollar B.C. Rich because I like how it looks (which I don't; B.C. Rich entry level guitars are some of the worst by far, in my opinion.) I can agree with not allowing a new player in there alone; he might get bossed into buying something he doesn't want or need.

Yeah its easy to forget, on that very first day, guitars are as confusing as all gently caress.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
So I was in GC yesterday for their big sale and I found a guitar I really liked that the guy was really trying to sell me. He was asking every 3 minutes if it was the one, then told me to take my time over and over. Finally I noticed the scratches on the back of the guitar and the already grubby, dirty neck and pickups and decided not to buy it (I want something with a brand new price-tag to be brand new.)

However I look out of boredom today online and for some reason the guitar I wanted is showing up for like 130 less than the guy was trying to sell it to me for. So I think I'm gonna just order it online. Are there any bad experiences here with doing that? Do they ship ok?

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

Rolo posted:

So I was in GC yesterday for their big sale and I found a guitar I really liked that the guy was really trying to sell me. He was asking every 3 minutes if it was the one, then told me to take my time over and over. Finally I noticed the scratches on the back of the guitar and the already grubby, dirty neck and pickups and decided not to buy it (I want something with a brand new price-tag to be brand new.)

However I look out of boredom today online and for some reason the guitar I wanted is showing up for like 130 less than the guy was trying to sell it to me for. So I think I'm gonna just order it online. Are there any bad experiences here with doing that? Do they ship ok?

You can't try it out. Personally I'd never buy a guitar without being able to get my hands on it first. I guess if its a lovely dud you could just resell it in ebay.

Not all guitars are made equal, could have two, same brand, same make, totally different.

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants
I'd be suspicious of something "new" selling for substantially less than retail. Like them or not, GC is about as cheap as brand name guitars get.

If it's a mass produced guitar like an Epiphone or MIM Fender any two should be nearly identical, and you'll want the one with the least wear and tear. Two of the same guitar should cost about the same, though. Check out other prices to get an idea of the average price.

Lots of stores are also happy to order you a new guitar direct.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
What is a good acoustic I can buy for around $250? I am not expecting miracles on that price range but don't want to pick up something terrible. I know absolutely nothing about acoustic guitars and what to look for when shopping for one.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

You can't try it out. Personally I'd never buy a guitar without being able to get my hands on it first. I guess if its a lovely dud you could just resell it in ebay.

Not all guitars are made equal, could have two, same brand, same make, totally different.

Well I ended up getting lucky after a few calls and finding a guitar center near me that had one for the right price that was also new/not a floor model. So I got to go in, play it, like it, and buy it :)

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

keyframe posted:

What is a good acoustic I can buy for around $250? I am not expecting miracles on that price range but don't want to pick up something terrible. I know absolutely nothing about acoustic guitars and what to look for when shopping for one.

Have you played guitar at all before? If so I'd say just browse the used section and find something that feels good to you. If not, bring a friend who does along and get some pointers.

damage path
Aug 15, 2001
Out of order? FUCK! Even in the future, nothing works!
I'm thinking about buying my first electric guitar tomorrow if I can find the right one for me. I'll go to the local store and play a few different ones and see what I like, but I'm leaning toward a stratocaster at the moment.

I saw a used 1997 Jimmie Vaughan strat locally for ~$450. Is that a good deal for a decent first electric guitar? There are a lot of positive reviews online for it. I'm interested in playing a wide range of music, but mostly classic rock and early 90s bands like Stone Temple Pilots, Alice in Chains, etc. I'm willing to spend a little more money if there is a better value guitar or consider a used MIM if it is better value or will sound better for the kind of music I want to play.

As a total electric newbie here, any input on if the 97 JV strat for ~$450 is a good deal, or how it will sound for the type of music I want to play is much appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I recommend something with a humbucker in the bridge, but I don't know if the Jimmy Vaughan strat has one.