Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

QueerPope posted:

That's all very nihilistic, don't you think? That from the dawn of existence, everything has always been set up to fail? Would that make Lord English the original maker of the world in your theory?

He doesn't necessarily have to be the originator, just someone who's basically taking advantage of the system for personal gain. There may be another source. Or English might be some corrupted or angry version of that originator.

When dealing with this sort of stuff in Homestuck it's really best to look at creation myths and try to find parallels in those, since Homestuck is essentially an overly-elaborate creation myth for a universe we've yet to see be made. Lesser beings rising to power to topple the rear end in a top hat In Charge is a pretty common thread through many of those. Numbers tend to trump the powerful individuals. They then take what a mean jerk made and rule it benevolently in some manner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

quote:

Oh, if only you were the one who could have overcome his paralysis on an alien adventure planet to become her boyfriend, instead of that other guy. Then she could have shown you how to be bold and courageous, and stand up to fight for your people
:shepface:
And then she might teach him to flyyyyyyyy, pupa!

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

.. Wait a tick. If every session needs a Space and a Time player, who the hell will fulfill that roll post-Scratch? If the post-Scratch kids are going to fill in the spaces emptied in the spectrum of elements by Eridan, Feferi, Equius, and Nepeta, that doesn't leave any room for the required roles.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Cabbit posted:

.. Wait a tick. If every session needs a Space and a Time player, who the hell will fulfill that roll post-Scratch? If the post-Scratch kids are going to fill in the spaces emptied in the spectrum of elements by Eridan, Feferi, Equius, and Nepeta, that doesn't leave any room for the required roles.

If the game is predestined to be an 8 player session, it might just 'know' that Dave and Jade are on their way and stick the ScratchKids into other roles.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Cabbit posted:

Because the sessions are generated backwards from an intended outcome through causality, the presence of the pre-scratch kids capable of fulfilling the roles means that it'd be unnecessary to have redundant roles.

Causality is funny like that, especially when it operates both on "narrative necessity" within a story itself. So even though the game will still likely be a four person session, the presence of the additional four kids, backwards prognosticated, means the pre-Scratch kids will feature into the internal mythology.

Sort of like how all of the books in that library in Skaia knew the Sovereign Slayer was going to occur even though he was an aberration to the normal structure of the game, and that the kids would eventually cross the "yellow yard". When everything rolls backwards through time to create set outcomes, all roles are ultimately preordained one way or another, even pointless ones!

Zorak fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Nov 19, 2011

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

So since it is probably an eight player session, is that going to mean that the Scratch kids and first kids all have to enter in a chain, or could it be that just the four Scratch kids make a chain, and then Jade just slaps the planets she brought with her into the new Insipisphere? What would the ramifications be for entering the game twice? Would John and company get new kernelsprites, what would be the deal with their Gates, etc?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

HalfHazard posted:

So since it is probably an eight player session, is that going to mean that the Scratch kids and first kids all have to enter in a chain, or could it be that just the four Scratch kids make a chain, and then Jade just slaps the planets she brought with her into the new Insipisphere? What would the ramifications be for entering the game twice? Would John and company get new kernelsprites, what would be the deal with their Gates, etc?

Nothing says it has to be eight players entering normally for the other four people to fulfill roles in the game. After all, the guardians assisted the kids in the pre-Scratch session, even though they lacked roles. Here they possess roles, and predestination means they'll fit into the overall structure just like the guardians did.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Idle thought:

Jake mentions that he tends to "kinda space out sometimes". This worries me.

Jade's gimmick was that she would constantly fall asleep, and this this was revealed to be the work of an outside force (Vriska practicing her powers).

So now the Jade-analog, Jake, spaces out? And we've already seen indications of mind-control in this post-scratch world?

Bit worried that it's going to be revealed that when he spaces out, someone else is controlling his mind, possibly making him do stuff. If this is the case, we should be on the look-out for stuff that changes (like things moved around in the room) between space-out periods. :tinfoil:

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Bobulus posted:

Jake mentions that he tends to "kinda space out sometimes". This worries me.

Pretty sure that was just a joke referring to the switching perspectives all of a sudden.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Jake, stop kissing that poster, it's not hygenic!

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

Love? Justice? Pah! I'll crush them all!
Haha, Jake's going to flip out when he sees his alternate space furry grandma.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style
New pages.

quote:

Whew, time stuff is pretty complicated! But you are FAIRLY sure you've got this figured out.

Homestuck in a nutshell.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Jake thinks hes merely sending it back in time to the 1900s when GrandmaJade and Poppop were alive. Interesting.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Update posted:

Also there are some Cage flicks there. But who doesn't love a good Cage flick? Nobody is who. Dang, you would kill to get your hands on some authentic Cage movie memorabilia. But that'll probably have to remain a crazy dream.

You're a man after my own heart, Jake. Who indeed?

EDIT: vvv It has indeed been noticed.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Jake's bed has the troll's Lusii on it. Not sure if this has been noticed yet but I did recognize Tinkerbull.

E: Lusii.

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!

Seoinin posted:

:shepface:
And then she might teach him to flyyyyyyyy, pupa!

Well, Jake does have some issues of Spider-Girl lying around in his room.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
I think we've officially reached 'overmentioning' point on Jake meeting John. There's no way they're going to meet and talk without a hitch.

Acidophilus
Aug 27, 2009

What's all this then?
I'm pretty sure the reason Jane was concerned about the dream she had is because there was no Skaia when she looked up, or at least there were missing player planets.
I'm betting Jade and John won't make it to the R-session until some highly dramatic moment a ways into the it.
Hopefully they will strike a dramatic pose to indicate how real poo poo has become.

Robo Pope
Jul 17, 2004

I AM THE POPE, DO AS I SAY.
What I wanna know is what's gonna happen with the prototyping of the imps and other enemies. We know that prototyping carries over into other sessions because of Jack, but when the kids show up in the guardian session, will there basically be two different sets of possible prototyped imps running around, or will things merge into a mix of prototyping from all 8 kids?

Also, another thought. If the guardian kids don't get their own Time hero like we're all assuming, then there won't be any do overs for the 8 player session. Dave's Beat Mesa was left behind in the old session to cause the Scratch in the first place, so unless there's multiple Beat Mesas on Dave's planet (which it is pretty heavily implied that there isn't) this is their last shot.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Robo Pope posted:

What I wanna know is what's gonna happen with the prototyping of the imps and other enemies. We know that prototyping carries over into other sessions because of Jack, but when the kids show up in the guardian session, will there basically be two different sets of possible prototyped imps running around, or will things merge into a mix of prototyping from all 8 kids?

Also, another thought. If the guardian kids don't get their own Time hero like we're all assuming, then there won't be any do overs for the 8 player session. Dave's Beat Mesa was left behind in the old session to cause the Scratch in the first place, so unless there's multiple Beat Mesas on Dave's planet (which it is pretty heavily implied that there isn't) this is their last shot.

Somewhere in the Seer: Descend flash it said that it was possible to add more orbs to a ring, so the pre-scratch kids might just end up adding their prototypes to the post scratch kids session. Of course, First Guardian prototyped Black King and Queen would still be hard to deal with this way. Better than Jack having it though, I suppose.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Color Printer posted:

Pretty sure that was just a joke referring to the switching perspectives all of a sudden.

One thing I've learned from Homestuck is to never write something off as simply a joke.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Oh geez, what happens if someone wears two rings, each with a different set of prototypings.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

YggiDee posted:

Oh geez, what happens if someone wears two rings, each with a different set of prototypings.

One of the new kids get their sprite prototyped with the ring from the first kid session.

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:

of bees posted:

Then I realized an important fact: the Beat Mesa is always on the planet of the hero of Time. Always.

Did we see some kind of music box beat mesa associated with aradia at some point? If not what makes you think this?

e: and more generally, what makes people think there is always a hero of time and space in every session? I assume I'm forgetting some hint of this somewhere?

Links would be great if anyone has em.

e2: cheers, that was quick.

Fagtastic fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Nov 19, 2011

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Doc Scratch outright said so.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

And this looks like what could be Aradia's Beat Mesa in the background too.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
All the Knight-related posters in Jake's room are really throwing me off.
And by 'all', I mean the Knight Tales, Black Knight, and the Star Wars one.
Also nice catch with the Spidergirl comics. Jake is going to flip his poo poo if he meets Vriska/speaks with Vriska.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

Doc Scratch outright said so.

Actually he does not. The only time he implies anything like that is when he says "It will always be an edifice of similarly cryptic design, located on the planet that is home to the Hero of Time." This does seem to imply that a Hero of Time is always present, but knowing Doc Scratch he could mean something along the lines that it is always present in sessions doomed to fail.

Additionally, he doesn't use any language regarding the hero of Space that is non-specific to their session. So while I think it's not unlikely that Time and Space players are always present (and we have more evidence that Space players are since it's their job to do the frog breeding) I don't think this is the evidence for it.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
I guess it's possible that he could have been misleading there, but as far as we can tell he was being pretty straight with Rose as far as the Beat Mesa goes. (What he didn't tell her is exactly how the reset would figure into his or Lord English's plans.)

To clarify, the question I was answering was just why people were saying that the Scratch-causing device was always on the Time hero's planet. Fagtastic hadn't made his edits at that point.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Oh well that's fair enough then.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Although one possible issue might be that this session can't scratch, because Jade left the Beat Mesa behind. They only get one shot.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

http://youtu.be/95kgMvE6-co

This is awesome :)

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

QueerPope posted:

That's all very nihilistic, don't you think? That from the dawn of existence, everything has always been set up to fail? Would that make Lord English the original maker of the world in your theory?

I was more thinking that maybe not every planet was destined to play sburb, but all the ones that were set up to play the game were actually set up to fail.

Like, even if one in every ten life-bearing planets played sburb, that would still leave 90% of all livable planets untouched by Lord English. Earth just got unlucky in that retrospect.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Sockser posted:

This is so loving cool, and whoever made it should be proud of themselves, but the squealing, nose-speaking nerd in me couldn't help but think "he should be saying two wheel device, not bicycle!!!".

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

of bees posted:

I was more thinking that maybe not every planet was destined to play sburb, but all the ones that were set up to play the game were actually set up to fail.

Like, even if one in every ten life-bearing planets played sburb, that would still leave 90% of all livable planets untouched by Lord English. Earth just got unlucky in that retrospect.

Universes, not planets. If one in ten life-bearing planets plays Sburb then Lord English probably has total proliferation unless there are universes which remain fully or mostly lifeless for, well, the entirety of eternity.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

I hope that, somewhere down the line, the reference to Bernie Lomax from Weekend at Bernies pays off with a new planet that uses Lomax as its contracted name. So it'd be Land of M____ and X____

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Mr. Pumroy posted:

I hope that, somewhere down the line, the reference to Bernie Lomax from Weekend at Bernies pays off with a new planet that uses Lomax as its contracted name. So it'd be Land of M____ and X____

Land of Mummies and... X-Rays?

Jawat
Feb 7, 2010

WELCOME TO THE DARK CARNIVAL, BROTHER.
:oD

Strongylocentrotus posted:

Well, Jake does have some issues of Spider-Girl lying around in his room.

Is Hussie foreshadowing the return of Vriska(chat)? :allears:

Sockser posted:

Can't sleep, clowns will eat me. :gonk:

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

creationist believer posted:

Land of Mummies and... X-Rays?
Land of Murder and Xenophobia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Sockser posted:

Impressive! I especially like the note of 'southern evangelical preacher' in Gamzee's second voice. It fits.