Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carabus
Sep 30, 2002

Booya.
Carl Sagan's Cosmos no longer available in the US store? What the fuuuuuuck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Carabus posted:

Carl Sagan's Cosmos no longer available in the US store? What the fuuuuuuck

It got pulled from Netflix not long ago either. I was lucky to watch them all before they vanished a few months ago.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Toe Rag posted:

It's this. This is the most annoying:

Even then, wouldn't that fact there is both spectral data and a valid MP3 file format be enough?

I read somewhere (either this thread or something linked from this thread) that someone thought there is a minimum file size of either 100K or 128K. Could that be it?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Is there a way to 'preview' how many songs itunes match will actually match in my library without actually committing to the service?

Also, does itunes match remember the meta info on my songs? Thats what I've been reading. But what if I don't want my old meta info because its junk?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Most of the bugs I've encountered so far have been really annoying, but the one I just encountered is hilarious. 50 seconds into a Bruce Springsteen song it starts playing a Morrissey song. It doesn't go to a new track, it just switches like it's part of the song.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Match is US only, right?

Also anyone else had this happen? Minimizing fixes it but it gets messed up again randomly.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Shaocaholica posted:

Also, does itunes match remember the meta info on my songs? Thats what I've been reading. But what if I don't want my old meta info because its junk?

Yes sadly it does. Not sure if you delete it out of your library if that makes it better or not.

Milo Pollywalter
Nov 25, 2006

there's a bear going round, taking names

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Match is US only, right?

It is right now, unfortunately (due to licensing?)

One feature I'd love in iTunes Match would be play count and rating syncing (I guess it wouldn't be just Match then). I've got my play counts submitting to last.fm, but the several times I've had to rebuild my library I've lost all my ratings, used this sketchy bit of perl to recover play counts and it doesn't seem to do everything quite right.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

anagramarye posted:

Why keep a computer? Just use a turntable.

Can I park my helicopter on it?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I saw this problem coming up a mile away but it finally happened..We have 1 computer in the house, and now 2 iPods. Is there a way to make separate libraries or something?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Maneki Neko posted:

Yes sadly it does. Not sure if you delete it out of your library if that makes it better or not.

Dang. There should be a per track option to blow away any custom meta data.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Avocados posted:

I saw this problem coming up a mile away but it finally happened..We have 1 computer in the house, and now 2 iPods. Is there a way to make separate libraries or something?
Hold down Option when launching iTunes. Alt if on Windows.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Avocados posted:

What wolffenstein said, but in case you don't know you don't necessarily need two libraries just because you have two devices. iTunes will automatically keep separate sync settings for each device.

Softcox
Jul 13, 2004

But I will not hesitate.
Not for a second.
Anyone ever put their music library on a case-sensitive network share? I have an NFS server and I'd like to keep my music library on it but I'm worried iTunes will poo poo the bed. I'm latest iTunes on 10.7.2.

zalmoxes
Sep 30, 2009

:eurovision:
I'm confused, before iTunes would let me make separate rules in a smart playlist, so i could have a 'Match all" setting followed by a "Match any" setting, but now I can only select one of those, how do I split the rules?

headfake
Aug 6, 2011

Hold down option when you click the plus (although I don't know how it worked before).

TomSellek
Jan 31, 2008
Arrogant, dumb, meat headed and stubborn. Please disregard and move on.
I went a long time without using "keep itunes music folder organized" but now I setup itunes match and had it redownload higher quality version songs, so now i have a ton of stuff in there anyways.

I still have all my library in a seperate folder but i'd like to just simplify everything and let itunes manage my music and have it all in the itunes folder, but just copying my old folder makes me have duplicate tracks, is there a good way to sort this all out? I am so confused. I'd like to keep the play counts and added dates and everything so what can I do?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

TomSellek posted:

I went a long time without using "keep itunes music folder organized" but now I setup itunes match and had it redownload higher quality version songs, so now i have a ton of stuff in there anyways.

I still have all my library in a seperate folder but i'd like to just simplify everything and let itunes manage my music and have it all in the itunes folder, but just copying my old folder makes me have duplicate tracks, is there a good way to sort this all out? I am so confused. I'd like to keep the play counts and added dates and everything so what can I do?

Assuming you have the space, you should just be able to go to File -> Library -> Organize Library and tell it to consolidate files.

After that you should be able to kill off your old folder.

EDIT:

You'll probably also want to make sure you have "Keep iTunes Media folder organized" and "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library" selected before doing that.

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Nov 18, 2011

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
http://support.apple.com/kb/PH1459

TomSellek
Jan 31, 2008

Maneki Neko posted:

Assuming you have the space, you should just be able to go to File -> Library -> Organize Library and tell it to consolidate files.

After that you should be able to kill off your old folder.

Awesome, thanks

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
I posted this in the iOS Apps thread, but I think it actually belongs here:

I still don't get how iTunes syncing works. I've got an iPad and an iPhone and whenever I sync them with my computer, iTunes copies or deletes Apps from the devices. I tried to transfer purchases from the devices to iTunes before I sync them, but it still would copy Apps that I already deleted back on the device or delete new ones. What am I doing wrong? If I don't change anything in iTunes (e.g. un-tick Apps, add/remove Music, etc.) I would like to keep everything the way it was on the devices.

EDIT: I'm running the latest iTunes version on the latest OS X Lion update. I have this problem for quite some time though.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

FLX posted:

What am I doing wrong? If I don't change anything in iTunes (e.g. un-tick Apps, add/remove Music, etc.) I would like to keep everything the way it was on the devices.
This probably won't solve your problem completely, but on the device's Apps tab make sure that "Automatically sync new apps" is unchecked.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I have a 60gb bitcap at home and an unmetered connection on campus.

I have subscribed to a very heavy (size-wise) iTunes U feed. Each video is ~1gb so naturally I'm downloading them on campus then bringing them home.

I copied them from my iTunes library on campus, put them on a USB drive, then copied them to the same folder in my home iTunes library. However, when I launch iTunes I still see the episodes as greyed out with the (GET) button next to them.

Any idea how I can force iTunes to see that these files exist and it doesn't need to download them?

e: Nevermind, figured it out. Instead of putting the files right into my iTunes folder, I got it to recognize the episodes by dragging them onto iTunes itself and it just figured it out on its own. Sometimes the simplest thing is the right thing.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Nov 19, 2011

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Anyone know how important album metadata is for the Matching process?

Specifically, if you have a song from a compilation album, and the iTMS doesn't have that compilation but does have the song on the studio album, will it Match?

zalmoxes
Sep 30, 2009

:eurovision:

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Anyone know how important album metadata is for the Matching process?

Specifically, if you have a song from a compilation album, and the iTMS doesn't have that compilation but does have the song on the studio album, will it Match?

Matched fine even an album I had that had blank artist/album names.
I have a little over 9000 songs and it matched about 8200 without any problems.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Anyone know why sometimes album art doesn't download with iTunes match?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I read somewhere (either this thread or something linked from this thread) that someone thought there is a minimum file size of either 100K or 128K. Could that be it?

That could be it, but the file limit would have to be between 460 KB (doesn't upload) and 471 KB (does upload). I'm going to mess around with it more later today and see if I can get it to upload. I deleted and readded it to iTunes, but I got the same result, so it wasn't just some fluke from going through my whole library at once.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I turned on Match and it ran and uploaded a bunch of stuff. Now when I try to drag a bunch of tracks to my iPhone in iTunes it says that they could not be copied because they are only available in iCloud. I am 100% sure that the files are stored on my computer. What is going on?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Did you turn on iTunes Match on your iPhone?

TheChipmunk
Sep 29, 2003

Eschew Obfuscation

withak posted:

I turned on Match and it ran and uploaded a bunch of stuff. Now when I try to drag a bunch of tracks to my iPhone in iTunes it says that they could not be copied because they are only available in iCloud. I am 100% sure that the files are stored on my computer. What is going on?

My understanding is that you don't copy over stuff via iTunes once you've turned on iCloud. You don't have to sync music anymore.

Which brings up a question: How do you see what songs are actually on your iPhone? It seems like it will cache songs until it runs out of space - but I don't want it to do this as I only have 16GB. Anyone know where you can see what you have on the phone?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
It will delete songs off your ios device as you hit the cache limit. It will start with the least listened songs.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

wolffenstein posted:

Did you turn on iTunes Match on your iPhone?

Yeah. It seems that the only way to get stuff on the phone now is to download from iTunes Match, transferring via USB isn't an option.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

TheChipmunk posted:

Which brings up a question: How do you see what songs are actually on your iPhone? It seems like it will cache songs until it runs out of space - but I don't want it to do this as I only have 16GB. Anyone know where you can see what you have on the phone?

Stuff already on the phone won't have a cloud icon in the music app.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
Is iTunes match simply not working for any of you? I matched my library, uploaded tracks, but now my phone shows half of my songs greyed out and there are no cloud logos to download anything. Ive enabled iTunes match on my phone a couple times but I'm not getting any playlists over or my entire library to view. It almost seems like I get random parts of my library.

Do you have to be connected to wifi to download music? If so its pretty worthless that I can't stream music over 3G.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Yes it is wifi-only right now.

TomSellek
Jan 31, 2008

withak posted:

Yeah. It seems that the only way to get stuff on the phone now is to download from iTunes Match, transferring via USB isn't an option.

Really so files that aren't available for match you can't sync to the phone either?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Those will be synced as before iTunes Match was available. Songs in your iCloud storage but not currently on the device are downloaded from iCloud.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

mike- posted:

Is iTunes match simply not working for any of you? I matched my library, uploaded tracks, but now my phone shows half of my songs greyed out and there are no cloud logos to download anything. Ive enabled iTunes match on my phone a couple times but I'm not getting any playlists over or my entire library to view. It almost seems like I get random parts of my library.

Do you have to be connected to wifi to download music? If so its pretty worthless that I can't stream music over 3G.

No, by default it will only download over Wi-Fi, however if you go into the preferences for the Store at you can choose to use cellular data.

headfake
Aug 6, 2011

Toe Rag posted:

That could be it, but the file limit would have to be between 460 KB (doesn't upload) and 471 KB (does upload). I'm going to mess around with it more later today and see if I can get it to upload. I deleted and readded it to iTunes, but I got the same result, so it wasn't just some fluke from going through my whole library at once.

There is a minimum bit rate of 96 kbps. From your screenshot, that track was lower. Reference: http://support.apple.com/kb/ts4054

If you want to see only what's on the phone, there's also a switch in the Music settings that says "Show All Music". If you turn it off you only see what's been downloaded.

Actually you can't sync anything of kind Music via the "normal" old-fashioned sync; you can only do the Match download on the device (once you turn on Match). So anything you have that's marked as "Not Eligible" you have to either change to a different Kind, like Audiobook or Podcast, or re-encode at above 96 kbps (you can use the Create AAC Version action to do this easily).

headfake fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Nov 20, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
Well turning on downloads over 3G looks like it solved all my issues! Thanks for the help.