Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vasudus
May 30, 2003

t_bright posted:

Does anyone know what the exact rules are for taking virtual classes, and how they affect your BAH, etc?

Are you talking going to a full online school or just taking a few classes online at your local place?

If it's the former, you are 100% distance learning and your BAH caps at ~674 dollars a month. If it's the latter, so long as you are attending classes of some sort in a brick and mortar place your BAH is unaffected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

t_bright
May 28, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Awesome. Thanks dude

Curtis of Nigeria
Jan 9, 2009
Thank you for all the help and info. What the hell does this mean:

"Interval pay, or break pay, is no longer available between semesters. While this means that you cannot receive partial housing allowance over the winter break, it also means that you are not wasting your entitlement on only a few hundred dollars. Remember that you can start and finish an entire semester with only one month of benefits left, so that one month of entitlement that you used over winter break to receive housing allowance could actually be worth more than $10,000 later on. Just don’t forget to save"

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Curtis of Nigeria posted:

Thank you for all the help and info. What the hell does this mean:

"Interval pay, or break pay, is no longer available between semesters. While this means that you cannot receive partial housing allowance over the winter break, it also means that you are not wasting your entitlement on only a few hundred dollars. Remember that you can start and finish an entire semester with only one month of benefits left, so that one month of entitlement that you used over winter break to receive housing allowance could actually be worth more than $10,000 later on. Just don’t forget to save"

It means that of your 36 months of benefits, only the time you are enrolled is deducted from the total. Say your semester is from Oct. 1 to Dec. 15th and doesn't start again till January 2nd. You only have 2 months and 15 days deducted from the total vs 3 months. Previously, if you went to school in both Fall and the Spring, you would get paid the full BAH for December and you would have used 3 months of benefits. Now, you get pro-rated BAH(less money) between semesters, but you save more time.

Later on, you start graduate school with only 13 days of benefits left in September. The VA will pay for that entire semester even if you only have 13 days of benefits left, hence the 'could be more than $10,000 later on'.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Can I apply for GI Bill without having been offered formal admission? I'm assuming its based on the university...

e: Went back, read the OP, starting the Ebenefits process.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Nov 14, 2011

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Yeah the benefit changes this year are really a love/hate thing.

Love: I personally have 7 days of benefits when I'm done with my undergrad this December. VA will pay me 7 days of BAH + my entire semester of graduate school.

Hate: Gotta take summer/winter courses to get paid *less*.

Kinochen
Nov 2, 2007
I am currently collecting my benefits while attending college in Northern Virginia, but my Dad who I was living with moved to Baltimore for a new job. I would like to transfer to a school up there so that I can continue to live rent free, but I cannot get a straight answer from any of the schools about a waiver for out of state tuition fees due to being a recently discharged veteran.

I know that the Post 9/11 GI Bill will not cover out of state tuition, but when I enrolled in school in Virginia they allowed me to claim in states tuition by providing a lease and registering my car in Virginia.

Do waivers for out of state tuition vary between schools/states? If they do where can I find this information other than the institutions website/counselors which have been no help.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Kinochen posted:

I am currently collecting my benefits while attending college in Northern Virginia, but my Dad who I was living with moved to Baltimore for a new job. I would like to transfer to a school up there so that I can continue to live rent free, but I cannot get a straight answer from any of the schools about a waiver for out of state tuition fees due to being a recently discharged veteran.

I know that the Post 9/11 GI Bill will not cover out of state tuition, but when I enrolled in school in Virginia they allowed me to claim in states tuition by providing a lease and registering my car in Virginia.

Do waivers for out of state tuition vary between schools/states? If they do where can I find this information other than the institutions website/counselors which have been no help.

Out of state is decided by the school if there is no overriding state legislation that tells them they can't charge you out of state.

Start with the state government websites to try to track down any policies on Veterans and tuition, then go to the school. The school obviously wants all of your money, there for getting them to accept In-state for people not already stationed there is a PIA. The school probably has specific guidelines for declarations of what is, and is not considered in-state, so make sure you make yourself aware of what those policies are.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Kinochen posted:

It depends entirely on the state for what constitutes a veteran with a domicile. Here in CT it's enough so long as you have a CT address.

Are you 100% Post 9/11? If so, and if your school participates in Yellow Ribbon (they do) then YR picks up the out of state fees if you get charged them for whatever reason.

The math is:

17,500 per academic year + YR amount determined by your school (most schools is unlimted). YR is 50/50 between the school and the VA. So if you were left with a balance *somehow* of 1000 dollars, and your school cap is 1000 dollars or higher, 500 is eaten by the school and 500 is paid extra by the VA.

100% means 100%.

Kinochen
Nov 2, 2007
I am waiting on a call from one final person in their records department to verify their policy on out of state waivers. I did find some random chapter of the Maryland education code that says that dependents of veterans and active duty military can receive in state tuition, and since my dad is retired air force I think I still qualify under that as long as I am attending school and living with him.

While this isn't strictly a GI Bill question I was wondering if I could get some feedback on this decision. I am currently renting a room in Northern Virginia while finishing out my semester in Northern Virginia Community College. I opted for community college because I got out last minute and was not in time to apply for a regular four year school. This school has a degree transfer agreement with George Mason, the school I wanted to get my Bachelors at, and I figured it would be better to get started than wait a year doing nothing and burning up my savings. My fathers move was unexpected, but not a disaster I have the means to take care of myself it was just a money saver and a convenience to be able to move back home and have one less thing to worry about. My question is this. I would be saving myself 550 a month in rent by going up to Baltimore in addition to receiving an extra 440 a month by going to school in Baltimore instead of Northern Virginia. If I cannot get in state tuition should I skip a semester and tough it out? It would only take 3 months to be eligible and I did very well this semester and should have no problem getting into Towson next school year, which from reading is a fairly respected business school, or not waste any time and stick it out here and bite the cost of paying rent etc?

Thank you Vasudus and Squirrely for your prompt replies and information. I really wish that places would make this easier to understand, or at the very least have people at the schools that know how to do more than transfer you to another person that might have the answer.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Kinochen posted:

I am waiting on a call from one final person in their records department to verify their policy on out of state waivers. I did find some random chapter of the Maryland education code that says that dependents of veterans and active duty military can receive in state tuition, and since my dad is retired air force I think I still qualify under that as long as I am attending school and living with him.

While this isn't strictly a GI Bill question I was wondering if I could get some feedback on this decision. I am currently renting a room in Northern Virginia while finishing out my semester in Northern Virginia Community College. I opted for community college because I got out last minute and was not in time to apply for a regular four year school. This school has a degree transfer agreement with George Mason, the school I wanted to get my Bachelors at, and I figured it would be better to get started than wait a year doing nothing and burning up my savings. My fathers move was unexpected, but not a disaster I have the means to take care of myself it was just a money saver and a convenience to be able to move back home and have one less thing to worry about. My question is this. I would be saving myself 550 a month in rent by going up to Baltimore in addition to receiving an extra 440 a month by going to school in Baltimore instead of Northern Virginia. If I cannot get in state tuition should I skip a semester and tough it out? It would only take 3 months to be eligible and I did very well this semester and should have no problem getting into Towson next school year, which from reading is a fairly respected business school, or not waste any time and stick it out here and bite the cost of paying rent etc?

Thank you Vasudus and Squirrely for your prompt replies and information. I really wish that places would make this easier to understand, or at the very least have people at the schools that know how to do more than transfer you to another person that might have the answer.

Not going into the finer points of your situation, but if the worst case you have is needing 3 months to become in-state eligible, then you are a lucky motherfucker. PSU it was a year in many situations, 2 years most.

e: And also, I had a room in a townhouse in Canton for 400 a month. Baltimore (even in the city) is a hell of a lot cheaper than living anywhere south of Columbia.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Kinochen posted:

While Vasudus has the background on the ins and outs of the VA system when it comes to GI Bill stuff, I've spent way too much time then I care to recount reading vaguely meaning state legislature briefs to find the exact wording of the law in question. If you are in any grey area, I suggest you do the same.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Question involving pro-rating both BAH and educational time remaining. I'm considering dropping to 8 credits next quarter for a breather vs my current (16). If you use VocRehab and elect the Post 9/11 BAH, do the same rules apply for part-time prorating? IE 12 credits is full time for me, so 8 credits would net me only 70% or is it a flat rate, like the old VocRehab stipend?

Also, if I were to go part time for one quarter, say 3 months at 8 credits, would they prorate my educational time remaining? So instead of subtracting a flat 3 months, it'd be closer to 2?

If I'm still going to use up the same amount of benefits, I might as well only drop to 12 and stay full time.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Due to the changes this year everything is prorated. If you want a break, I would recommend taking some easy bullshit elective/gen-eds and stay at 12 credits.

Using 31/33 in conjunction is the same as using flat 33: 8 credits will net you 70% of the going rate BAH.

If you are going part time, you are rated as using 3/4 of a day I believe. Maybe even 1/2 a day.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Just got confirmation today from my VR&E counselor that my certification finally went through for Post 9/11 BAH/subsistence. Apparently since I'm chapter 31 and not 33 I can draw 100% BAH, instead of drawing 60% if I was on 33 because of the whole '3 years went to SLRP' poo poo.

I get the feeling I'll be getting a letter in 6 months telling me that no, I was not entitled to that amount and yes, you can expect to see that withheld/drawn from your account shortly.

It would just be the icing on the cake of awesome of getting the government to pay for two separate education paths if it works out like I was told.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Yeah I'm still curious/apprehensive on how VocRehab is gonna work out. I applied back in Sept, and accepted, then being I was told I would be contacted by my counselor between Nov and Dec for the next term in Jan. Still nadda. I know it's still early but I definitely want to get stuff straight for the next term.

Spongebob, I'll shoot you a PM tomorrow so I can ask some questions in detail about the program.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Thankfully on my side of the house getting 31/33 working has become easier. Usually goes like this:

1) Have you been accepted into the 31 program (or are you already in it)?
2) Have you filled out all the paperwork for 33?

If yes to both, give the 33 Certificate of Eligibility to your Voc Rehab rep and within a month or two your pay will magically be increased to the 33 rate.

Remember, of course, that to get 33 you have to give up any other GI Bills you are eligible for. 31 is not on the list, as it is not a GI Bill.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Roving Reporter posted:

Spongebob, I'll shoot you a PM tomorrow so I can ask some questions in detail about the program.

I don't have PMs but you can reach me at awade101 at gmail.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
Hey Vasudus, I think you've answered this before but is it possible to take classes at two different schools? My ex wife is getting out on and is enrolling for the spring semester. Right now with the program she's in she can only get 9 credits because the other classes are filled or require prereqs. However, there is a class she can take at the local CC that would satisfy her one of her prereqs. Can she take that class there and would it technically count for 12 credits to get full time BAH?

Some background on her, she already has an AS in business, BS in finance and an MBA in public admin. She wants to be a gym teacher so all she needs to do is take the two years of gym teaching credits save a few bio prereqs that business majors don't have.

The other thing I would be confused about handling is the fact that one school would be registering her for 9 credits and the other for 3 so who would certify her for 12 so she can receive fulltime BAH?

Thanks, man.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
I am active duty until March 15th, and have applied as a 2012 Fall transfer applicant to a few schools that fund the Yellow Ribbon program.

I'm also super anxious about getting my VA benefits lined up as quickly as possible, because most schools state that their Yellow Ribbon money is 'first-come, first-serve.'

Is it possible to use the VA e-benefits site prior to receiving my DD214 (March 15th)? I would like to sign up for the 9/11 GI Bill as soon as possible - even if it is still a bit early.

Also: Anyone know of schools in the northeast that will waive application fees for veterans? The University of New Hampshire will waive your fee, and they use the Common App, so I was able to drop an application for free. Waiting to find out what schools I'll get into is even more nerve-wracking than it was during HS, especially since schools don't start notifying transfer applicants until around my EAS date.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

sharkbomb posted:

Waiting to find out what schools I'll get into is even more nerve-wracking than it was during HS, especially since schools don't start notifying transfer applicants until around my EAS date.

You're telling me. Turns out my transcripts weren't sent out in February like they should have. I turned in my apps for January in July and didn't get notified until apparently 4 days into my last 31 day underway. So I sat here 4 weeks later trying to get everything in order.

They told me three weeks though, so that should be next weekish :( The waiting is killing me.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Son of a bitch, this is what happens when you use your phone to look at the forums when you're at work. Goddamn thing hosed up my last read and I didn't catch new posts.

front wing flexing posted:

Hey Vasudus, I think you've answered this before but is it possible to take classes at two different schools? My ex wife is getting out on and is enrolling for the spring semester. Right now with the program she's in she can only get 9 credits because the other classes are filled or require prereqs. However, there is a class she can take at the local CC that would satisfy her one of her prereqs. Can she take that class there and would it technically count for 12 credits to get full time BAH?

Some background on her, she already has an AS in business, BS in finance and an MBA in public admin. She wants to be a gym teacher so all she needs to do is take the two years of gym teaching credits save a few bio prereqs that business majors don't have.

The other thing I would be confused about handling is the fact that one school would be registering her for 9 credits and the other for 3 so who would certify her for 12 so she can receive fulltime BAH?

Thanks, man.

Yes, she can dual enroll. Make sure you're in contact with both school's certifying officials to make sure the paperwork is correct. Be aware that unless both of the schools start at the exact same time and end at the exact same time her pay is going to be hosed a bit. Example: School A is 1/23/12 to 5/18/12 but school B is 1/30/12 to 5/25/12. She would be part time (80% paid) from 1/23 to 1/29, full time (100%) from 1/30 to 5/18 and stop getting BAH at that point, as 3 credits is not enough to get BAH. Welcome to the new prorated system.

sharkbomb posted:

I am active duty until March 15th, and have applied as a 2012 Fall transfer applicant to a few schools that fund the Yellow Ribbon program.

I'm also super anxious about getting my VA benefits lined up as quickly as possible, because most schools state that their Yellow Ribbon money is 'first-come, first-serve.'

Is it possible to use the VA e-benefits site prior to receiving my DD214 (March 15th)? I would like to sign up for the 9/11 GI Bill as soon as possible - even if it is still a bit early.

Also: Anyone know of schools in the northeast that will waive application fees for veterans? The University of New Hampshire will waive your fee, and they use the Common App, so I was able to drop an application for free. Waiting to find out what schools I'll get into is even more nerve-wracking than it was during HS, especially since schools don't start notifying transfer applicants until around my EAS date.

I wouldn't worry about YR slots filling up unless the school has a tiny amount of them and it's super expensive. 17,500/year for just tuition and fees goes a long way. That's not to say it can't happen, I just haven't in my two years of doing this job.

Yes, you can apply now. There is a question that asks when you get off AD. Award letters take ~6 weeks currently.

No schools to my knowledge waive the application fees. At my school, the $50 dollar application fee is the only thing that you pay out of pocket, even if you're 100%. That isn't to say they don't exist, though, I just don't know of any.

eagle_man77
Dec 8, 2010
So when I go to Va.gov and apply what all do I need to submit if I'm national guard and I've been on 2 sets of title 10 orders?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

eagle_man77 posted:

So when I go to Va.gov and apply what all do I need to submit if I'm national guard and I've been on 2 sets of title 10 orders?

There will be a bit on the end where you can attach documents. Scan both sets of your orders and submit them. The VA *should* have them already, but the chances of this happening on both orders is probably slim to none. So just include them anyway.

eagle_man77
Dec 8, 2010
Thanks and do you have any experience with the new goarmyed system. I'm really new at this.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

eagle_man77 posted:

Thanks and do you have any experience with the new goarmyed system. I'm really new at this.

Sadly no, I got out in 2006 so I never had to use it. Usually when this question comes up in my office I just direct them to the website and say 'sorry, figure it out' and hope for the best :(

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
I had my first interaction with the VA today. I submitted my education benefits form on November 10th, and hadn't heard anything yet (obviously). I wasn't doing anything at work so I said 'gently caress it' and gave them a call. The woman talking to me was actually very helpful and reassuring. I am fairly well spun-up on my benefits so I could tell she knew what she was talking about.

I'm hoping to be submit my Certificate of Eligibility to my school of choice as soon as I am admitted in February (if I get in). I'm paranoid that my school will run out of slots for the Yellow Ribbon program and the savings I've built up over five years will become quick chump-change.

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

"Hey, did you see my game against the Detroit Lions?"
They paid me a day early. gently caress yes.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Jaysus posted:

They paid me a day early. gently caress yes.

Last working day of the month brosef. You got paid late if you got paid today.

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

Vasudus posted:

Last working day of the month brosef. You got paid late if you got paid today.

Got paid the day before this post. But I've been getting paid on the 5th/6th.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
Thanks for the info, vasudus. I appreciate it.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
My Voc Rehab subsistence allowance just changed over today to BAH, got back pay for the difference back to the beginning of the semester. Which is a goddamn good thing because the tension spring on my garage door split in half this morning. Now it smells like bagged mulch and weed.

Still, goodbye credit card.

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

Spongebob Tampax posted:

Still, goodbye credit card.

NO better feeling.

I have 2 more and will never use one for more than "pay off this instant" poo poo ever again.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Oh hell yes I love the feeling of a cleared credit card. Fucker's already cut up. Wifes' card is going after tax returns, then my car is getting traded in on a Kia Soul (WHY AM I PLANNING ON MORE DEBT!?!?!?!?).

Turns out I have a home warranty (since I bought my house this year) and a coupon covering a service fee ($60), so garage door is getting fixed for free.

Still, that back pay showed up at the right time. After the mortgage payment we were going to be stretched pretty thin. Trying to convince my brother to get in on his education benefits since he got canned for bitching out a customer at work (no unemployment).

mhachtx
Oct 1, 2000
One more question, I just received my COE in the mail and I am attending orientation this Friday. I will be starting classes on Jan 17th while on terminal, but since I don't EAS until March 5th what do I need to do to make sure my BAH payments kick in on time? Thanks again for this bad rear end thread.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

mhachtx posted:

One more question, I just received my COE in the mail and I am attending orientation this Friday. I will be starting classes on Jan 17th while on terminal, but since I don't EAS until March 5th what do I need to do to make sure my BAH payments kick in on time? Thanks again for this bad rear end thread.

Give a copy of your COE to whoever is your certifying official at your school. Make sure they certify you in VA-ONCE.

There is a possibility the VA will be gay and not release payment on time due to terminal fuckery. I've seen it go either way. Just watch your bank account and if the 2nd/3rd of the month passes by with no check, call 1-888-442-4551 and bitch.

all apologies
May 13, 2008

woah
I have lest than a year left (only doing 4) and havent touched any benifits or anything education wise while in, how do I know I fall under post 9/11 bill? becuase that is the one I obviously want.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
You're eligible. 3 years of active duty service nets you 100% for 36 months.

This was covered in the OP.

OP posted:

Section VI - tl;dr
----------

WHAT BUTAN I PRESS GET MONEY?!

Actually, section 4.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 6, 2011

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Provided you didn't take SLRP (loan repay) you are 100%. If you took SLRP you will be 60%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Which reminds me (and my awful short term memory), evidently if you take VR&E, SLRP time doesn't count against the amount you receive in BAH. For me it's a difference of about $550 a month.

Should someone find themselves in that position again.

• Locked thread