Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Pierzak posted:

That reminds me, did we ever get an actual report of the scenario you built your awesome Japanese village for, or did I just miss it?

And that Nosferatu set looks awesome, makes me want to watch the old movie again.

Nopes, still waiting for ok pictures of the finished board. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Haha, gently caress yes.

http://www.micromark.com/Parts-Catching-Apron,8108.html

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
A model bib is a great idea. Functionally and thematically perfect for manchildren.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Oh man, I need one of these for sure.

http://www.micromark.com/Model-40-Carrousel-Organizer,8364.html

The picture even has GW screwtops. :3:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Yeast posted:

Haha, gently caress yes.

http://www.micromark.com/Parts-Catching-Apron,8108.html

That's exactly what I picture when I think miniatures. Haha, those short shorts

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

You can tell he's a scale modeller rather than a warham, as they're shorts and not a utility kilt.

Farts
Nov 4, 2005
SO apparently my local Home Depot and Lowes don't really carry Pin Vices.
That something I'm going to have a better time ordering online or at an actual hobby shop? May as well since those drat rare earth magnets you buy online anywho.

CPFinnit
Jun 5, 2008
McMaster Carr is great for everything.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#drill-pin-vises/=ezn67w

Buffalo squeeze
Dec 19, 2010

Oh noble brogy. Overflowing with meaty wisdom and secret sauce.
I decided to do something special as Chosen for my Nurge army and what better than some of my favorite models: The Carnival of Chaos from Mordheim.

I wanted a rickety stage feel to the bases, so I made planks out of sprues

I got two of the moon masked henchmen and decided to make them into knife juggling twins.

I added a left handed dagger from the chaos marauder kit

I cut down one of the spears from the Carnival of chaos box to make a dagger thats stuck in the shield (they're not very good jugglers)

This model is one of my favorites. It's got that charlatan magician look and I decided to accentuate that by giving him a magic book and dramatic pose.

(hands from empire militia kit)

(book from empire helblaster volley gun kit)

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE
Whoa I JUST used an identical plank sprue trick to make a base for my sartosan pirate vampire last night.

What did you score the wood on yours with? I created the wood lines using the pointed edge of a file after determining that my x-acto was just not making big enough grooves.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
Just finished painting up a handfull of firewarriors after finding a pile of bits at the bottom of my painting box. Have some Kroot as well that I'll probably paint while I wait for some perry minis to arrive in the post.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

I'm pretty happy with how this turned out, wondering if i should try painting the unit decal or just buy some waterslide decals.
Still needs basing and maybe a few touch ups, like on the left arm weapons and feet.

Tamaya Grey superfine primer
Tamaya XF-18 Medium Blue basecoat
Vallejo 72017 Dark blue mixed with Citadel Ultramarines Blue distressed brush
accents with Vallejo Oily Steel and Gunmetal Blue
highlights with Citadel Bone White and Vallejo Dark Blue.
Citadel Badab Black wash.

also magnetised so the torso can twist and be separated for transport.

Negative Entropy fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Nov 19, 2011

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Not gonna lie, for as helter-skelter as the process was, I'm pretty damned happy with how these rusted out rooftops came out:

Simpo
May 1, 2008

Fix posted:

Not gonna lie, for as helter-skelter as the process was, I'm pretty damned happy with how these rusted out rooftops came out:

looking awesome, but it really needs some piles of trash or something around the bases of those walls to make them look less floaty

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I agree, otherwise that town is a lock for Best Swept Shantytown 2011.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Oh yeah, totally. It's going to be all trash strewn and postered and whatnot. I just got really excited about the roofs and poo poo all over the post button.

I'm trying to find the right color/material combo for those blue tarps. Those really, really blue woven plastic ones.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Fix posted:

Oh yeah, totally. It's going to be all trash strewn and postered and whatnot. I just got really excited about the roofs and poo poo all over the post button.

I'm trying to find the right color/material combo for those blue tarps. Those really, really blue woven plastic ones.

Those roofs look decent, but give this a try if you want them to look amazing: http://skankgame.com/Rustech.html

And about the tarps - you can use old t-shirts for material. Cut your tarps out of the fabric, and then use thinned white glue to harden them. Paint them with a cheap craft paint equivalent of GW Enchanted Blue (FolkArt Royal Blue works) and give it a coat of gloss varnish (to simulate the look of polyethylene) before drybrushing/washing/weathering.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I uh... don't actually like the look of those. The brushstrokes and pallete on the end result are kinda cartoonish. I've already got that going on my walls and am trying to eliminate it, frankly.

Gonna take a good hard look at real cloth, though. Thanks for that.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out

Fix posted:

I uh... don't actually like the look of those. The brushstrokes and pallete on the end result are kinda cartoonish. I've already got that going on my walls and am trying to eliminate it, frankly.

Nice thing for rust is some glue with irregular sand mixed in dabbed where the rust would start/is worst. Only need a tiny bit, but it helps build up the actually rusty texture of something rather than looking like rusty paint.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Fix posted:

Try using used dryer sheets for tarps. I did all the time when I built scale tanks and they work great.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Fix posted:

I like your roofs a lot more, they look very realistic where as that other example almost looks like a kids arts and craft project for school. :confused:

Really like the look of the whole board in general, it's really weird to see so much cover when you're used to seeing 40k boards!

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Fearless posted:

Try using used dryer sheets for tarps. I did all the time when I built scale tanks and they work great.

You are a gentleman and a scholar and bear the wisdom of many moons.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
I'm seriously considering buying one of those bibs. I was assembling some warbikes yesterday and I got angry enough at the amount of times I dropped stuff on the floor that I was ready to quit warhamming forever.

It would be impractical though cause the amount of times I wheel myself over to my drawers or the bookcase behind me is immense.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I'm quite tempted as well. Every single kit I assemble involves at least one instance of crawling around under my desk with a torch looking for something.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Miles O'Brian posted:

It would be impractical though cause the amount of times I wheel myself over to my drawers or the bookcase behind me is immense.

Or if you're like me, sitting parallel to the desk instead of under it. My desk is just one big armrest somedays.

I look forward to a pictographic pamphlet of proper warhamming postures and seating arrangements.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Make me paint. I have all my stuff out on the dining room table and just can't be assed with starting.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Paint, you idle poo poo. Paint or so help me I will come at you like a bag of dicks.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Beerdeer posted:

Make me paint. I have all my stuff out on the dining room table and just can't be assed with starting.

Paint or I shall swoop into your house through an open window and make mess of your pots and pans.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Start painting them or I'll hack your account and toxx you in the oath thread :colbert:

Seriously. I want to see some finished minis here within a week.

(BTW, what minis are they?)

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
I am three colors away from being finished with a mini project I have been working on for a while now.

Can't wait to get home to take lots of pics and show off! Hopefully my pride won't be misplaced.

I'll let you all decide...
Till then I just want to say I am really trying to bring it. :ninja:

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Paint, you idle poo poo. Paint or so help me I will come at you like a bag of dicks.

You will find all the motivation you need right here.

And arguably an amazing new thread title.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Miraculously, I'm now half-done with a squad of TH/SS termies. The power of fear (of a bag of dicks).

FractionMan
Dec 24, 2003

Bringing back the balls to Rock
I finally got started on my first Malifaux models. Still need to do the bases, but otherwise happy with the paintjob. Just another 10 models to go.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

WhiteOutMouse posted:

... I just want to say I am really trying to bring it. :ninja:

And here it is gents. It did not fit inside my light box, so I had to improvise. The drybrushing did not come out great on camera but I am not worried. One day I might move my lights over and take better pics.

(Only put my finished models on the board. Obviously I still got a ways to go before I am "done"...)

but that is not all...

Could it be?

YES
A little compartment for my codex and rulebook!

Oh and one more thing!

"Quickly lil' USF demon, summon a massive chaos incantation from your foreboding tome of unspeakable horrors!"

...and by that I mean store my dice, measuring tape and attack template.
(The felt lining makes for a nice dice rolling station since it is quiet and they don't roll off the table)

Thoughts? :haw:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

WhiteOutMouse posted:

And here it is gents. It did not fit inside my light box, so I had to improvise. The drybrushing did not come out great on camera but I am not worried. One day I might move my lights over and take better pics.

That is the first reasonable use for one of those books-with-a-secret-compartment I have ever seen. Largely because those books look so out of place on most shelves, that people spot them right away.

It all looks pretty flashy. Well done.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

That's a pretty dope bit of kit there, WOM.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

WhiteOutMouse posted:

(Only put my finished models on the board. Obviously I still got a ways to go before I am "done"...)

but that is not all...

Could it be?

YES
A little compartment for my codex and rulebook!

Oh and one more thing!

"Quickly lil' USF demon, summon a massive chaos incantation from your foreboding tome of unspeakable horrors!"

...and by that I mean store my dice, measuring tape and attack template.
(The felt lining makes for a nice dice rolling station since it is quiet and they don't roll off the table)

Do want.

In particular the dice station - did you make that yourself, or buy it from somewhere? If the former, how, if the latter, where?

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
Yeah I need to know this too. Need one for my Warriors of Chaos and the other for my Vampire Counts.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Those things are pre-fabricated. I have seen them at Winners (http://www.winners.ca/en/index.asp), but check any store that sells 'home decor' crap like ugly statues and glass fruit, you will have a half decent chance of finding one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Thats sweet as hell!

• Locked thread