Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

LightningKimba posted:

Scroll to Artwork on the bottom.

That's not what he's talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

AXE COP posted:

That's not what he's talking about.

Those are the winposes though. They're just way too small for whatever Cat machine probably wants them for.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Nodoze posted:

In the corner I think you have to backdash and do QCB-L but I can't do it fast enough

I'm having the same problem.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
Pretty good players playing on the PeacefulJay stream, including a dude playing a Viewtiful Joe/Frank West/ Rocket Raccoon team. He used Joe's new dodge move to Dodge a level 3 hyper. Was pretty cool. http://www.twitch.tv/peacefuljay

Rollie the Guar
Sep 12, 2011

You can't change nature, Jack.
If you're having trouble relaunching with Hawkeye in the corner, just superjump back for the first launch and neutral for the relaunch. If you're a little bit out from the corner neutral jump for both. This way you don't need to backdash for the OTGs.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
Who would make a really good team with ghost rider? I love his play style, but having trouble finding anyone with good synergy with him.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Dormammu for one.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Hawkeye wouldn't be too shabby either if you want to make a pure keepaway team.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
Are there any other characters that can go behind Frank for easy level 4+ THCs asides Nemesis and Dante? I want to try out Hawkeye/Frank/Nemesis later on, but I'm finding it hard choosing between Frank's meter assist for gimlet supremacy or his shopping cart assist for creating space.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Ahahaha they gave Ryu a new ending, sweet

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
Streams today:
SoCal tournament run by Level Up being streamed today at 12pm Pacific (about 2 hours from now). Yipes is still in SoCal. http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive
Philly tournament being streamed by Spooky at about 5pm eastern. http://www.twitch.tv/teamsp00ky

big duck equals goose posted:

Who would make a really good team with ghost rider? I love his play style, but having trouble finding anyone with good synergy with him.
Combofiend went with GR/Sentinel/Hawkeye, though he didn't really use Hawkeye assist much with him and was more about keeping drones on screen to take up space which was pretty effective. GR/Dorm/Sent or GR/Sent/Doom (missiles, also makes for a great anchor imo) seem like they would be good.

The KoRn Identity
Apr 9, 2009

Jmcrofts posted:

Awesome. Firebrand's combos don't do much damage but with the proper assists you can mix up really well, and he gets around the screen so goddamn fast. I'm trying out some different teams of ______/firebrand/sentinel and they're all pretty fun.

The swooping assist is pretty good as well, which is nice. For some teams I like the fireball better, but I'm not sure yet which one I like more overall. Still digging this character!

hes easily the best new character

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

The KoRn Identity posted:

hes easily the best new character

I wouldn't go that far, Vergil and Hawkeye do exist.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*

Jmcrofts posted:

So does Nova ;)

Cat Machine posted:

Ahahaha they gave Ryu a new ending, sweet

Is it another megaman troll?

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Dosvidanya posted:

Is it another megaman troll?
No, he becomes Iron Fist and owns Akuma

also, what's the deal with Skrull mission 7? I get the combo down fine, but it says it's looking for 'Air Inferno'. How the heck am I gonna do the air version??

e: nvm you just have to cancel it hecka early

The KoRn Identity
Apr 9, 2009

Jmcrofts posted:

vergil isnt good

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Ahahaha, the Rocket Raccoon title for beating Arcade is 'Ranger That Rescues'... oh capcom :allears:

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
People online just cannot block V Joe's air dash air S.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Metrohunter posted:

Oh, of course. How silly of me.

Does the Nemesis + Frank THC work outside of the corner? I haven't tested it extensively yet but when I tried it midscreen, they popped out after Frank's super finished.

Yes, it does. When Frank lands, dash in right next to the prone opponent before you do the Team Hyper Combo.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

apophenium posted:

People online just cannot block

There you go.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Rollie the Guar posted:

If you're having trouble relaunching with Hawkeye in the corner, just superjump back for the first launch and neutral for the relaunch. If you're a little bit out from the corner neutral jump for both. This way you don't need to backdash for the OTGs.

Wait, what? You have to do his QCB movement commands to get the diagonal OTG arrows.

If someone knowledgeable could put this to rest, I'd appreciate it. I can't seem to get anything to connect in the corner, and I'm trying to train my hands to do a quick backdash, QCB+L, M for the freeze arrow OTG, but I'm not even sure if it works. What's the recommended input for his corner OTG?

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

Liku posted:

Well, found out that with Strider if you have the Orbs out and you wavedash the game registers the dash as an attack so the Orbs shoot, so you basically barrel down the screen into the opponent's face with the orbs constantly shooting and since you're not throwing out any attacks you're not getting pushed away. Don't know how viable it is in a real game but kinda interesting. I managed to get it up to 40 hits before the combo broke and there was plenty of time left on the Orbs, no clue if there's any timing you can do to have it go the whole length of the Hyper.

Another fun orbs bit: if you're taunting with orbs up you can still shoot.

Is it just me, or did Doom's buffs launch him into the stratosphere in terms of everything? I switched from x-23/wolverine/doom to x-23/doom/strider and I VERY rarely have had the need to even use strider on point because my doom is just wrecking people.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

For the corner relaunch combo, I superjump backwards after the launcher, QCB+L~M for freeze arrow, then slide and relaunch. Superjump straight up and delay the magic series slightly otherwise they seem to drop out after j.MM and before H. After landing you should be able to do QCB+L~L for OTG poison shot.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
Hawkeye's QCB L L has a steeper angle than M which has a steeper angle than H. QCB L L pretty much always works in the corner if you activate it as early in the hop as you can, QCB L M will only connect on the larger characters in the corner. I'll need to try that neutral sj trick because I also can't get the dash back into ice arrow to work. Keep in mind that Gimlet is -8 ON HIT so don't do it in the corner unless you're going to kill or DHC.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

It's worth noting that you can also activate poison arrow quicker in the jump than freeze shot.

usedpizza
Jan 1, 2009

Give it up for the champ
Chris is so much fun now. Being able to cancel his handgun into specials and hypers makes a world of difference.

Was running Chris/Doom/Spencer in a lobby last night and went on an 8 game win streak before quitting. Doom missiles keep people in check as I do as much damage with Chris as possible. If he dies, doom is a hell of a character on his own. If he dies, Spencer cleans up. Was a lot of fun.

e: and making sweep combo otg was the best decision.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Dunno if this was posted earlier in the thread and I just missed it, but there's a release schedule for the different costume DLC packs:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114267-Ultimate-Marvel-vs-Capcom-3-DLC-Plans-Revealed

quote:

Nov 22 - Rising Dead Pack (Jean Grey, Ghost Rider, Frank West, Nemesis)
Dec 06 - Evil Twin Pack (Spider-Man, Deadpool, Hsien-Ko, Vergil)
Dec 20 - Ancient Warrior Pack (Hulk, Magneto, Arthur, Firebrand)
Jan 10 - Brawler Pack (Iron Fist, She-Hulk, Haggar, Spencer)
Jan 17 - Femme Fatale Pack (Storm, X-23, Morrigan, Chun Li)
Jan 17 - Villain Pack (MODOK, Super Skrull, C Viper, Wesker)
Jan 17 - New Age of Heroes Pack (Dr Doom, Sentinel, Strider, Akuma)
Jan 24 - Animal Pack (Wolverine, Rocket Raccoon, Amaterasu, Felicia)
Feb 07 - Weapon Expert Pack (Taskmaster, Hawkeye, Zero, Trish)
Feb 21 - Viewtiful Strange Pack (Dr Strange, Dormammu, Viewtiful Joe, Phoenix Wright, Tron)
Mar 06 - Value Pack (All 48 costumes for $20.00 / 1600 MSP)

Too bad they don't sell 'em ala carte. There's only a couple I really want (Talbain Ammy!).

USPS sent my preorder copy to the wrong end of NYS. :sigh:

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
The Nova combo starter from slide cancel into flight is:
d+M xx flight (move down forward), j.L j.H xx unfly j.L or c.L (combos whether you hit it on the way down or after you land) c.M c.H etc.

You can make it safe/set up an unblockable by calling a low hitting assist as you enter fly.

Pretty sure this works on everyone. If you fly cancel the slide to start it, then move down forward, you'll be at the correct position for j.L to overhead a crouching rocket raccoon.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

Gatts posted:

I'd have loved it if they had given Spidey a "Spider-sense" super. Maybe for a short period as meter runs down he has a % chance of dodging attacks or increased speed or something.

Or...we have a taunt caption that says "Spider-sense tingling!" and then he gets nailed by a brick.

She-Hulk: "Sunday Driver!"
Spider-Man: "Well if it isn't my old nemesis, a Cadillac!"

Alternatively:
"Well if it isn't my old nemesis, a Nemesis!"

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Dosvidanya posted:

So does Nova ;)

Also Frank

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

:stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQVsHQYTsUc

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

LadyPictureShow posted:

Dunno if this was posted earlier in the thread and I just missed it, but there's a release schedule for the different costume DLC packs:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/114267-Ultimate-Marvel-vs-Capcom-3-DLC-Plans-Revealed

Too bad they don't sell 'em ala carte. There's only a couple I really want (Talbain Ammy!).

USPS sent my preorder copy to the wrong end of NYS. :sigh:

On the bright side they are really cheap. $4 each. Despite the PSN share reduction I do have a friend that I've had a private share with and we both agreed to get these packs, so they come out to $2 each!

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Those are drat cool, but I don't know how I would feel about running that team with that setup in actual matches. I kinda think Frank needs some sorta long range projectile assist (longer range than Dorm Dark Hole) to be effective.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
So I've been thinking about ways to make character selection easier, just because overthinking things is what I do. We want to make character selection require as few inputs as possible so that when you know exactly the team you want to play picking it as easy as inputting a specific short button combination. There are 605,221,632 potential teams once you factor in assists and costume colors/alternates (48*47*46*3*3*3*7*7*7), so we need some system with that many potential inputs. We have 8 buttons on an arcade stick, if we consider all the combinations of 1 or 2 simultaneous button presses we get 36 possibilities, add on 9 different joystick inputs (cardinal, diagonal, and neutral) and we get 324 potential inputs. If we use 4 of these inputs we get more than 11 billion possibilities, more than enough and much shorter than the number of inputs required to select a team currently. I wanted to cut it down to just 3 inputs but you have to go all the way up to 4 simultaneous buttons to make that work.

Captain Corduroy
Mar 31, 2007

We find the source of the problem, and we throw dragons at it.

Fenn the Fool! posted:

So I've been thinking about ways to make character selection easier, just because overthinking things is what I do. We want to make character selection require as few inputs as possible so that when you know exactly the team you want to play picking it as easy as inputting a specific short button combination. There are 605,221,632 potential teams once you factor in assists and costume colors/alternates (48*47*46*3*3*3*7*7*7), so we need some system with that many potential inputs. We have 8 buttons on an arcade stick, if we consider all the combinations of 1 or 2 simultaneous button presses we get 36 possibilities, add on 9 different joystick inputs (cardinal, diagonal, and neutral) and we get 324 potential inputs. If we use 4 of these inputs we get more than 11 billion possibilities, more than enough and much shorter than the number of inputs required to select a team currently. I wanted to cut it down to just 3 inputs but you have to go all the way up to 4 simultaneous buttons to make that work.

Start -> Choose Reserve Unit -> Hit A. 3 inputs. Enjoy.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Fenn the Fool! posted:

Reserve Unit?

e: gently caress

Disease
Oct 6, 2011
So after learning how to use Virgil properly I'm managing to win a lot more than I lose now. But I've got a huge problem against certain zoning teams:

Ghost Rider / Dorm / Sentinel
ANYONE / Hawkeye / Doom with missiles

If the player is poo poo I can sometimes win with teleports, judgement cuts and round trips. If they are good these match-ups seem just about impossible. The biggest problem by far is doom missile spam while Hawkeye goes crazy with arrows. Teleport is not an option against this because Hawkeye can do qcf+L, L which is an option select for triple arrow if they are on front of you and jump back and safely shoot a poison arrow if they are behind you. Also I can't do any real combo if I hit after a teleport because the doom missiles are going to come down and make sure that I'm the one that gets combo'ed. Even scrubs can make teleporting impossible by timing the arrows and missiles correctly.

So I've decided to make a team that does absolutely nothing but stops mindless zoning. My question is which team would be best at doing this against both good and bad zoners. My ideas:

Use one of the teams above and just try to beat them at their own game
Chris (Super jump and try to magnum them until they come at you? Shooting from prone and then standing up to block missiles?)
Dr Strange (Can he overpower Hawkeye/Sent drones somehow? I like the idea of him having gold Hsien Ko assist)

I honestly don't care how bad the characters are close in (except Arthur) - I just want zoners to come at me or die trying to zone. I'd mess around with all these characters in training mode but I don't have the time for gaming I used to and just want one sweet anti-zoning team I can devote my limited time to.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

Captain Corduroy posted:

Start -> Choose Reserve Unit -> Hit A. 3 inputs. Enjoy.

Yeah, but if you're at casuals or a tournament where you tend to not be on your own console and make a trip to the character select screen once for every 2 or 3 matches turning the 60 second process into a 10 second one would be pretty helpful.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Can another nova player test something for me, Or just someone with some time and modest execution skills?

When throwing left with nova I can get centurian rush L, H S, jH nova strike M to hit. When throwing the enemy right with nova I cannot get the M nova strike to hit. I'm throwing the enemy out of, and not into, the corner in both cases. This is against akuma right now, but I've tested it against a few other characters and it won't work there either. Against heavier/larger characters the standing H won't hit at all, so there won't be enough hitstun left to combo into M nova strike either way, so don't bother trying on anyone haggar/she-hulk size or bigger.

NecroMonster fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 19, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chocolate America
Nov 5, 2008

by garbage day

Disease posted:

So after learning how to use Virgil properly I'm managing to win a lot more than I lose now. But I've got a huge problem against certain zoning teams:

Ghost Rider / Dorm / Sentinel
ANYONE / Hawkeye / Doom with missiles

If the player is poo poo I can sometimes win with teleports, judgement cuts and round trips. If they are good these match-ups seem just about impossible. The biggest problem by far is doom missile spam while Hawkeye goes crazy with arrows. Teleport is not an option against this because Hawkeye can do qcf+L, L which is an option select for triple arrow if they are on front of you and jump back and safely shoot a poison arrow if they are behind you. Also I can't do any real combo if I hit after a teleport because the doom missiles are going to come down and make sure that I'm the one that gets combo'ed. Even scrubs can make teleporting impossible by timing the arrows and missiles correctly.

So I've decided to make a team that does absolutely nothing but stops mindless zoning. My question is which team would be best at doing this against both good and bad zoners. My ideas:

Use one of the teams above and just try to beat them at their own game
Chris (Super jump and try to magnum them until they come at you? Shooting from prone and then standing up to block missiles?)
Dr Strange (Can he overpower Hawkeye/Sent drones somehow? I like the idea of him having gold Hsien Ko assist)

I honestly don't care how bad the characters are close in (except Arthur) - I just want zoners to come at me or die trying to zone. I'd mess around with all these characters in training mode but I don't have the time for gaming I used to and just want one sweet anti-zoning team I can devote my limited time to.

The only thing I can tell you is that both Strider and Dr. Strange have "true" teleports in that they can't get hit out of them like Vergil can. Wesker's teleports are also "true" but they're spacing dependent so they're harder to use.

Maybe try something like Dante/Strange/Strider? Dante starter/battery, Strange 2nd with beam assist and his projectile-countering hyper, and Strider as anchor?

There's also Spencer Bionic Arm which is like 1 frame or something and completely invincible, and X-23 has Weapon X' which has like 50 frames of invincibility too. Both can be done on reaction to beam supers.

Chocolate America fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Nov 19, 2011

• Locked thread