Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I know beggars can't be choosers but I'd much rather take a ride in a B-17F. Something about the G model bugs me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

According to Wikipedia, of the remaining 13 flyable B17's, only one is an F model and all the rest are G's. Also, the one F is flyable, but isn't currently being flown.

Craptacular fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 19, 2011

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

mlmp08 posted:

WWII bombers are just so little....

Yeah, it's only 2 feet longer than an Su-35. I've got a B-17 model and an su-35 model and it's confusing as hell seeing them right next to each other, they don't look like they should be the same scale.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat

B4Ctom1 posted:

While looking for it I found this which is nearly as amazing in its own
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMWbvoab274

^^^ Refuelling tanker flying CRAAAZY close to the ground ^^^

This video reminds me of Doctor Strangelove, where the B-52 crew flies super low to avoid Soviet radar. Seeing such a massive craft get that low just activates all my internal "you can't /do/ that!" instincts. Thanks for posting this!

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat
Gorgeous footage of French jets from the film Les Chevaliers du Ciel.

Pro-tip: Mute the sound before watching.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEe3xfWfkG8

Scut fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Nov 21, 2011

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Scut posted:

^^^ Refuelling tanker flying CRAAAZY close to the ground ^^^

This video reminds me of Doctor Strangelove, where the B-52 crew flies super low to avoid Soviet radar. Seeing such a massive craft get that low just activates all my internal "you can't /do/ that!" instincts. Thanks for posting this!

While that stuff is cool, I always get a little twitch in the back of my neck, because poo poo like that is pretty stupid high risk grandstanding with absolutely no value added besides "looks cool." I'm also always reminded of the Thunderhawks whenever I see stuff like that involving tankers.

Anyway, while we're on the topic of stupid refueling tricks:

Not shopped, a maneuver regularly performed at the course they ran SAC dudes through back in the day to train them to be IPs.

Scut posted:

Pro-tip: Mute thesound before watching.

Point of order: the audio track is a fine companion to that video. Also make sure to watch it in glorious full screen HD.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Scut posted:

Pro-tip: Mute thesound before watching.

That is a pretty good video, but the cut to an action movie explosion 2 minutes in was odd.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

A few guys posted pictures of B-17 ride alongs/tours in my thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3446476

I'd really love it if you guys could repost your pictures in there. It is nice to get other perspective shots.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

iyaayas01 posted:

While that stuff is cool, I always get a little twitch in the back of my neck, because poo poo like that is pretty stupid high risk grandstanding with absolutely no value added besides "looks cool." I'm also always reminded of the Thunderhawks whenever I see stuff like that involving tankers.

That kind of thing always reminds me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJb08ZzejAA

(explody bit at 7:30, full version linked because iyaayas is a nerd)

Of course, if you want to go raw expense to taxpayers, nothing quite beats this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=M9hb-OutGAY

(fireworks about 30 seconds from the end, the preceding bit is USAF reconstruction stuff that only terrible geeks will really be interested in)

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Just a humble wandering street philosopher.

Cyrano4747 posted:

That kind of thing always reminds me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJb08ZzejAA

Of course, tying this back to the CRRAZY close to ground, the pilot in this incident was the same rear end in a top hat who hadn't been grounded due to failures in the command system to address things like clearing a ridge by six feet during a photo-op flyby.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Blatently stolen from the photo thread, but it fits in with a discussion of obscenely dangerous hotdogging in airplanes:

beanieson posted:

:stare:

Also, I finally realized what all this reminds me of: Catch-22, when McWatt is buzzing the beach and mulches a guy standing on it with his propeller.

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Cool it a minute, babe, let me finish playing with my fake gun.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Blatently stolen from the photo thread, but it fits in with a discussion of obscenely dangerous hotdogging in airplanes:

Also, I finally realized what all this reminds me of: Catch-22, when McWatt is buzzing the beach and mulches a guy standing on it with his propeller.

When I first saw that photo in the Photo Thread, I did a doubletake and thought it was a capture from that movie.

Craptacular - you lucky bastard.

Whenever I see a picture of a ball turret, especially if there's something to indicate scale, I just think "how did those crazy bastards stand being in there?" :psyduck:

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
They were two things:

1. Short

2. Ordered to do so

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE

mlmp08 posted:

That is a pretty good video, but the cut to an action movie explosion 2 minutes in was odd.

All that footage is edited from an action movie.

I love seeing that video pop up, though. It's up there with Red Flag for amazing cinematography performed with actual airplanes.

LavistaSays
Dec 25, 2005

Scratch Monkey posted:

They were two things:

1. Short

2. Ordered to do so

The other night I saw some WW2 in color footage that was quite haunting; an entire airbase stands at attention as a heavy bomber comes in for a belly landing, the ball turret gunner stuck at his post.

I couldn't imagine the horror of being a draftee assigned to that particular assignment.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

Boomerjinks posted:

I love seeing that video pop up, though. It's up there with Red Flag for amazing cinematography performed with actual airplanes.

I wish that they just had Red Flag without the "story" or at least the TV movie Red Flag with Barry Bostwick from the 80's.

But while we're talking about real plane footage and cold war fighting, has anyone else here seen World War 3. It's a 1998 Docufiction made by German television and I think Australia that uses old footage and fake newscasters to make a story about a hypothetical war between NATO and the Warsaw Pact. It's pretty interesting actually, especially since it's like the older documentaries on History Channel. It is a bit slow, the war doesn't start until about an hour in, the time before that is made up of explaining what went different.

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Cool it a minute, babe, let me finish playing with my fake gun.

Scratch Monkey posted:

They were two things:

1. Short

2. Ordered to do so

Yeah, this. :smith:

I forgot to mention this in my earlier post, but it's somewhat relevant:
During 'The War,' my grandfather served as a civilian contractor for the Army Air Corps, servicing bombers in the UK while the Air Corps got its act together. Once they got enough qualified uniformed personnel to replace him, he enlisted in the navy, then volunteered for Aerial Gunnery school.

I don't know what he was thinking volunteering to be shot at, when he was already perfectly qualified to repair airplanes all nice and (relatively) safe at an airfield. I'll have to ask him when I see him for Christmas.

Luckily, the war ended before he could be deployed. At least he was far too tall (6') for one of those damned ball turrets, thankfully.

Myoclonic Jerk fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 21, 2011

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Oh yeah I forgot to post the video of my B17 flight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxnhI2M-NHg

durtan
Feb 21, 2006
Whoooaaaa

Craptacular posted:

It's a little earlier than "Cold War", but I figure this is the best place to post these. I got a ride on the EAA's B17, "Aluminum Overcast" this morning. I don't have many photos of the interior because I didn't want to spend time looking through a viewfinder instead of actually enjoying the flight, but here's some of the exterior.

I did strap my Contour HD video camera to my head for most of the flight, so I'll post some video once I get it edited.

And no the M2 Brownings were not functional. :(

Hell yeah! I posted photos of this same aircraft when it came to my town in this thread a few pages back. I'm sure clicking on the question mark in this post will lead you there.

I didn't fly in it though. I'd love to have disposable income like that.

durtan fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Nov 22, 2011

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004

Scut posted:

Pro-tip: Mute the sound before watching.

Forgive me for asking, but at this point in the video why is there part of the canopy missing from the what I think is a Mirage?

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

_firehawk posted:

Forgive me for asking, but at this point in the video why is there part of the canopy missing from the what I think is a Mirage?

Well you see there's a part in the movie where they're forced to fly something (I just skipped through it) and the one bad guy is in the back seat. While still taxiing on the ground, the good guy activates the other guys ejection seat and then gets out of their quick to foil the other bad thing that's going to happen in Paris on Bastille Day.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-
I tried watching the actual movie but lost interest very quick.

I think this is from the same movie. Much better soundtrack though.

http://www.patricksaviation.com/videos/phi729/2422/

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Myoclonic Jerk posted:

Whenever I see a picture of a ball turret, especially if there's something to indicate scale, I just think "how did those crazy bastards stand being in there?" :psyduck:

I recall hearing an interview with a ball turret gunner. Dude was like a staff sergeant and got into an argument in England with an infantry private (this was pre-invasion) about how the Air Force guys had it easy and poo poo. So he said, "fine, if you think we have it so easy, let's trade" and takes off his coat and hands it over. "I get the stripes and everything?" asks the incredulous infantry mook. "What do you do, anyway?"

"Ball turret gunner." Infantry guy hands the coat back with words to the effect of "oh gently caress no."

LavistaSays posted:

I couldn't imagine the horror of being a draftee assigned to that particular assignment.
I'm pretty sure you had to volunteer to go into the AAF. Otherwise they probably just dumped you in the infantry. Or sometimes the Marines.

Myoclonic Jerk posted:

Luckily, the war ended before he could be deployed. At least he was far too tall (6') for one of those damned ball turrets, thankfully.

Navy bombers didn't have ball turrets anyway, he'd have been fine.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Brought up yesterday in the Aeronautical Insanity thread...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eM3DOs9oxc#t=1132s

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

McNally posted:

I'm pretty sure you had to volunteer to go into the AAF. Otherwise they probably just dumped you in the infantry. Or sometimes the Marines.

I don't know for sure if the volunteer thing was a hard and fast requirement, but there were so many volunteers for the AAF that it would be a moot point regardless. I mean, think about it...what would you rather do: muck about in the trenches of a ground conflict, be stuck on a boat with a bunch of dudes for the entire war, or be a gallant knight of the air?

Advertisements may not be an accurate representation of actual war.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Boomerjinks posted:

Brought up yesterday in the Aeronautical Insanity thread...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eM3DOs9oxc#t=1132s

Yeah, that's the stuff.

ming-the-mazdaless
Nov 30, 2005

Whore funded horsepower
Part 2 of the low flying Harvard (taken at Saldanha).
Click for bigger.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

That is loving AWESOME!

Disco Dickdog
Nov 30, 2007
From my mother's sleep I fell into the State,
And I hunched in its belly till my wet fur froze.
Six miles from earth, loosed from its dream of life,
I woke to black flak and the nightmare fighters.
When I died they washed me out of the turret with a hose.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Death_of_the_Ball_Turret_Gunner

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Naramyth posted:

The C-5s in European 1 are so loving Cold War...hey, these are strategic airlifters, but what the hell, paint them in our tactical camouflage pattern too.

Naramyth posted:

Any further details on this picture? In case the film doesn't date it enough, that is a pretty dated SCL...AIM-9s instead of AMRAAMs on the wingtip rails, no launcher installed on the outboard station (usually there would be some sort of AIM-9 there), and single (instead of a MER or TER) unguided Mk 82s with a mechanical M904 nose fuze. It carrying live munitions and being Dutch to boot, it has to be some sort of '80s era NATO exercise, because unless they were feeling seriously retro there's no way that loadout would've been used any time after the early '90s.

Naramyth posted:

SAC :patriot:

I spent the past week down in Florida visiting a friend...I had some spare time, so I spent a day at the AF Armament Museum outside Eglin and another at the Museum of Naval Aviation on Pensacola NAS. No pictures because I didn't have my camera with me, but I just wanted to point out the historical poo poo at these two museums...both museums were well done and had the standard complement of aircraft you would expect at each museum (the Naval Aviation Museum was packed chock full of aircraft...I was there for 3 hours and probably only saw 2/3rds of their collection). What I really wanted to point out is the history behind the actual airframes that are at each museum...the museum at Eglin has the very first C-130 to roll off the production line that was subsequently converted into the first AC-130 and was in active service from the late '60s until the late '90s, as well as the only "Big Tail" SR-71, a BUFF that flew combat missions during Desert Storm, and a MiG-21 that just showed up at the museum overnight; the curator was told not to ask any questions (it was a "YF-110" that came from the Constant Peg program.

However, the Museum of Naval Aviation kicks this up a notch...in that one museum they have the first airframe to fly across the Atlantic (it only took them 19 days), the only F3F in existence, the only SB2U in existence, the Viking that delivered Dubya aboard the Abraham Lincoln, an almost all original N1K2 "George" that still retains field expedient repairs and battle damage, the Coronado that served as a high level transport during WWII, regularly transporting among others Chester Nimitz, the Truculent Turtle, a F11F that flew with the Blue Angels, an OV-10 that saw service in Vietnam, during which time one of its pilots was killed in action; the pilot's brother discovered the airframe in a scrapyard 20 years after the fact with his brother's name still stenciled on the fuselage and undertook an effort to get it restored and into the museum, this guy's Bird Dog, the Tomcat with the last combat trap, and perhaps most incredibly, a SBD Dauntless airframe that was on Ford Island during the attack on Pearl Harbor, took part in a raid on New Guinea for which its pilot was awarded the Navy Cross, and then took part in the Battle of Midway.

Yeah. Basically if these aircraft could talk I would spend a solid week doing nothing but listening to them, so all of you should go visit these museums if you ever are remotely in the area.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

iyaayas01 posted:

Yeah. Basically if these aircraft could talk I would spend a solid week doing nothing but listening to them, so all of you should go visit these museums if you ever are remotely in the area.

The museum cafe isn't bad either. They relocated and rebuilt the officers club from Cubi Point, Philippines, when the base closed. Took 60 years worth of locally made squadron plaques, as well as some of the waitresses. We tried to track down some plaques from my dad's squadrons, but they have limited space, and the plaques commissioned in the 80's were generally considerably larger and more visually arresting, so pop's 70's vintage stuff is probably in long term storage.

The other really striking aspect of the Naval Aviation Museum is that nothing is roped off, and they have a full time staff of volunteer geezers walking around buffing out your fingerprints and repairing minor shop wear from all the kids and adults poking at stuff.

They've also got a Martin Mauler, and a Grumman Guardian, that you don't see every day.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Nov 23, 2011

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Slo-Tek posted:

The museum cafe isn't bad either. They relocated and rebuilt the officers club from Cubi Point, Philippines, when the base closed. Took 60 years worth of locally made squadron plaques, as well as some of the waitresses. We tried to track down some plaques from my dad's squadrons, but they have limited space, and the plaques commissioned in the 80's were generally considerably larger and more visually arresting, so pop's 70's vintage stuff is probably in long term storage.

The other really striking aspect of the Naval Aviation Museum is that nothing is roped off, and they have a full time staff of volunteer geezers walking around buffing out your fingerprints and repairing minor shop wear from all the kids and adults poking at stuff.

They've also got a Martin Mauler, and a Grumman Guardian, that you don't see every day.

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about the whole Cubi Point thing, which is awesome. The Navy generally has their poo poo together when it comes to preserving heritage and the like...light years ahead of the Air Force, anyway, although that isn't saying much.

I also forgot to mention that they have a R4D (C-47) there named Que Sera Sera that just happens to be the airframe that was the first aircraft to land at the South Pole...the reason I was reminded of it is apparently the dude that was flying it on the famous mission lives in the Pensacola area and is one of those volunteer geezers who occasionally comes in to help clean up and tell stories.

Oh, and that Mauler? Yeah, the airframe they have is the airframe that was used to set the single piston engine payload record.

Actually, going back and looking through their collection, I'd say that there are at least 7 or 8 aircraft that are one offs which are literally the only one of their type left in existence, along with several more that are in single digits left. And their most boring airframes are pretty much the ones that "just" flew some combat missions or crashed in the ocean 70 years ago and were fished out and restored...I can probably count on one hand the number of aircraft in their collection that did the usual museum thing of "flew a few years stateside, sat in the boneyard for a while, then went to the museum." In short the museum owns.

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Nov 23, 2011

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

iyaayas01 posted:

The C-5s in European 1 are so loving Cold War...hey, these are strategic airlifters, but what the hell, paint them in our tactical camouflage pattern too.

Any further details on this picture? In case the film doesn't date it enough, that is a pretty dated SCL...AIM-9s instead of AMRAAMs on the wingtip rails, no launcher installed on the outboard station (usually there would be some sort of AIM-9 there), and single (instead of a MER or TER) unguided Mk 82s with a mechanical M904 nose fuze. It carrying live munitions and being Dutch to boot, it has to be some sort of '80s era NATO exercise, because unless they were feeling seriously retro there's no way that loadout would've been used any time after the early '90s.

These were posted by a colleague of mine on Facebook. He was .mil and is a bit older then me so I have no doubt that these were early 90s photos. I'll message him what you asked and get back to you. :v:

ming-the-mazdaless
Nov 30, 2005

Whore funded horsepower
Not exactly cold war but I thought some folks may get a kick out of this:

http://ahrlac.com

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

ming-the-mazdaless posted:

I want one.

LavistaSays
Dec 25, 2005

Pretty sure airframes like this might be more at home in the "drug war" thread, there were some aircraft solicitations made in the past few years for commercially available reconnassaince and gunship platforms, specifically wanting lower cost prop driven aircraft.

(e: for use in drug interdiction in south/central America)

LavistaSays fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 23, 2011

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

Those little 70mm rocket launchers are compatable with the new generation of guided 70mm rockets, right? You don't exactly need a Hellfire to blow up a panel truck .

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

NosmoKing posted:

You don't exactly need a Hellfire to blow up a panel truck .

Need? Maybe not. But who said anything about "need."

I'll bet you think no honest man needs more than 10 rounds, too. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Yeah, how many motor rifle regiments are they up against in the "drug war"? I would probably rather have the additional weight in the form of armour protection instead of rockets and guns, because a bunch of civilians who might have a few light arms probably isn't something that needs to be subjected to all day strafing.