Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skwerl
Sep 3, 2006
damn kids...
Good god, this episode contains so much :black101:
Kiritsugu is rivaling Akemi Homura for badass of 2011 anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Jesus that was brutal on all counts.

I loved how they showed exactly how dangerous Kiritsugu's Code was. Kayneth was beyond hosed up.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 19, 2011

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Okay I think I've finally figured this show out. The grail war isn't worn by killing all other Servant/Master pairs, it's won by being the most ridiculously awesome person alive.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Surprise guest appearance by Touku Aozaki, nice.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?

Skwerl posted:

Good god, this episode contains so much :black101:
Kiritsugu is rivaling Akemi Homura for badass of 2011 anime.

I was going to say Kotomine for badass of the year because he broke a tree in half with his bare hands, but then it was revealed that Kiritsugu had several of his ribs grinded into powder and put into bullets to make them kill better. :stare:

This show is starting to have some pretty great facial expressions, and not just from Caster anymore.

It's a wonder that Sola likes Lancer more than that honest face.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

The cutting between the different fights was really nice - especially the first cut to Caster. It really kept the suspense ratcheted up.

Third time lucky, Archibald!

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

bladeworksmaster posted:

Surprise guest appearance by Touku Aozaki, nice.

That wasn't Touko. We'll learn more about her later.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I've always been confused how Avalon works. I know it only releases its true power if Saber is nearby, but does it do anything by itself?

Both Shirou and Irisviel were fatally wounded (or at least Shirou was), and both were revived relatively quickly, but could they have survived the time between? Does Avalon have a passive "you will not die easily" that Saber doesn't need to be nearby to activate?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

BlitzBlast posted:

I've always been confused how Avalon works. I know it only releases its true power if Saber is nearby, but does it do anything by itself?

I think it doesn't do anything by itself, but it doesn't necessarily need to be Saber who activates it, just a sufficient amount of mana manipulated by a sufficiently skilled magus. In Saber's case she provides the first by virtue of being a servant and eliminates the need for the second.

I don't know this for a fact but I'm not sure how else you would explain Kiritsugu using it to save Shirou's life after destroying the Holy Grail.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

BlitzBlast posted:

Avalon only functions when Saber is nearby, otherwise it's inert. Shirou has Avalon at the start of F/SN, but that doesn't stop Lancer from easily killing him. If it is possessed by Saber's Master, its regenerative ability is greatly enhanced due to the link between Master and Servant.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Well I know for a fact that Shirou was saved as a child because Avalon still had some of Saber's mana in it, but what I'm asking is if he could have survived the interim between getting stabbed in the heart and being revived by Rin. I know Rin magiced herself to run faster, but it's still vague as to just how much time Shirou spent dying/dead. Did Avalon play a part in Shirou being restored to life with no complications whatsoever? It's a freaking magical sheath formed by fairy magic with a huge legend attached to it, it'd be really weird if it did absolutely nothing by itself.

Really though, I'm kind of just wondering whether Kotomine really tried to kill Irisviel, and Avalon kept her alive until Saber came, or if he just shanked her and left.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Nov 19, 2011

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

BlitzBlast posted:

Really though, I'm kind of just wondering whether Kotomine really tried to kill Irisviel, and Avalon kept her alive until Saber came, or if he just shanked her and left.

He wounded her in order to slow down Saber's pursuit. Kotomine wouldn't last five seconds in a fight against Saber.

InsaneZero
Feb 16, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

Kotomine just shanked her and left. He did it mostly to keep any pursuers distracted.

Anyhow, Avalon did nothing for Shirou until after Saber was summoned. After all, it's last use was 10 years ago, and it used up all of the mana then.

The Holy Queef
Jul 13, 2003
No, it is not gross, in fact, it's funny, yeah, think of it that way.
Was checking out the Fate / SN manga. And I may be wrong for thinking its a faithful UBW manga. The last few chapters is fresh new material with a couple surprises in it.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The Holy Queef posted:

Was checking out the Fate / SN manga. And I may be wrong for thinking its a faithful UBW manga. The last few chapters is fresh new material with a couple surprises in it.

Pretty much all of them bad.

Seriously, that thing is even worse than anything DEEN put out, it's kind of amazing.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
oh Shirou you are so strong and brave. please protect me, the literal King of Knights and wielder of one of the greatest weapons in all creation, from the scary bad men

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

BlitzBlast posted:

Well I know for a fact that Shirou was saved as a child because Avalon still had some of Saber's mana in it, but what I'm asking is if he could have survived the interim between getting stabbed in the heart and being revived by Rin. I know Rin magiced herself to run faster, but it's still vague as to just how much time Shirou spent dying/dead. Did Avalon play a part in Shirou being restored to life with no complications whatsoever? It's a freaking magical sheath formed by fairy magic with a huge legend attached to it, it'd be really weird if it did absolutely nothing by itself.
Avalon didn't play a part in Shirou's survival at the start of F/SN. Rin is a very skilled magus who expended a huge amount of magical energy to restore Shirou's heart. Her skill is again evident when she operates on Shinji in UBW. Besides, as long as Shirou was dead for less than 5 minutes, he wouldn't have suffered brain damage. (Or maybe he stayed dead for a bit longer than that and that's why he's rather dense later on in the story.)

Pierson posted:

oh Shirou you are so strong and brave. please protect me, the literal King of Knights and wielder of one of the greatest weapons in all creation, from the scary bad men
Is that in the manga?

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.
The inevitable showdown between Kiritsugu and Kotomine is going to be... I don't know if there is even a word for it, but it'll be beyond awesome.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Wow, Kirei is no where near this badass in the FSN anime. As soon as the blades came out I was like "woah".

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Raenir Salazar posted:

Wow, Kirei is no where near this badass in the FSN anime. As soon as the blades came out I was like "woah".

He showed off his badassery in the Heaven's Feel route well enough. Really gotta recommend the VN in situations like this.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Or Fate/Unlimited Codes.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Kotomine's butt has been getting some good fanart.

Volumen Hydrargyrum is Kayneth's only friend. :smith:

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 20, 2011

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Not surprising, considering what Waver's been enduring this whole time.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

jonjonaug posted:

Volumen Hydrargyrum is Kayneth's only friend. :smith:

Kayneth's constant emasculation is the high point of the series for me.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Episode eight:
  • Kiritsugu: :smug:
  • Kayneth: :gibs:
  • Kotomine: :ssj: :ese:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Then have I got the wallpaper for you!

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Oh drat it, I just remembered that Lancer's got that whole dual-master thing set up where Kayneth gives the orders and his lady friend gives the mana, so Kiritsugu loving that smug rear end in a top hat up good won't have as much effect as I would have hoped. I just want Saber's arm to be okay... :(

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

Endorph posted:

Then have I got the wallpaper for you!

This is amazing. Thank you.

Here's a summation of every Kayneth scene:

Carnival47
Jul 21, 2004
So while Lord Archibald needed to use some elaborate mercury manipulation to block Kiritsugu's bullets, Kotomine can block Maya's bullets with just his forearms? Jesus Christ.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Carnival47 posted:

So while Lord Archibald needed to use some elaborate mercury manipulation to block Kiritsugu's bullets, Kotomine can block Maya's bullets with just his forearms? Jesus Christ.

Well if I remember right, the executor uniform is actually bulletproof to a degree, but at the same time Kirei's own skin is tough enough to deflect things like 9mm pistol rounds.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Carnival47 posted:

Don't know why they don't mention it, but yeah, he's got bulletproof priest robes.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Bakanogami posted:

Don't know why they don't mention it, but yeah, he's got bulletproof priest robes.

The poo poo...? I thought it was just a spell or something. Question about his swords, too. Did I see it right? Did he retract the blades into the guard and tuck them in his robes? How much of those things are magic and how much is just ninja slight-of-hand? I'm not up on the mechanics of Executioner weapons.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

AlternateNu posted:

The poo poo...? I thought it was just a spell or something. Question about his swords, too. Did I see it right? Did he retract the blades into the guard and tuck them in his robes? How much of those things are magic and how much is just ninja slight-of-hand? I'm not up on the mechanics of Executioner weapons.
They're called Black Keys, and according to the Type-Moon wiki: "Expert Executors are capable of materializing the blades by passing prana through an object, such as pages of a bible, allowing them to carry and conceal hundreds of hilts at a time."

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Kotomine didn't actually break the tree with brute strength; rather, he uses a form of chinese martial arts that lets him enhance his attacks with 'chi', attacking someone or something's internal structure directly. He just whacked the tree that way a bunch of times until it broke.

Also because he uses that to fight and strengthen his body rather than magical reinforcement all his magic power can go to his Servant. He doesn't use it for spellcasting or whatever like all the other Masters.

Those who played Heaven's Feel may recall him using this on Shirou right at the end to get past the swords all over his body.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Not mystical qi even in Heaven's Feel. It's simply application of leverage, momentum and generating power from the entire body driving from the feet.

Plus Kirei is monstrously strong in the first place.

It's basically the equivalent of an one inch punch Kirei delivered to the tree repeatedly. Irisviel assumed binding his hands so that they couldn't move would be enough to nullify Kirei. But his entire body was still free and power in chinese martial arts is generated from the torso which meant Kirei was able to bring his full force into bear.

This is why Kirei appeared to be doing "hip thrusts". He was using his entire body to generate momentum and force.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Rodyle posted:

Well if I remember right, the executor uniform is actually bulletproof to a degree, but at the same time Kirei's own skin is tough enough to deflect things like 9mm pistol rounds.
No, that is incorrect. His robes contain Kevlar as well as being magically enhanced. In addition, his muscles are strong enough to take the impact of the bullets hitting his robes without slowing him down. His skin isn't at all bullet-proof. And the fact his robes can stop 9 mm rounds doesn't make him immune to higher caliber bullets.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

jonjonaug posted:

That wasn't Touko. We'll learn more about her later.
That's a little disappointing. The Aozaki sisters popping up in various places is always kind of fun. Though it makes sense that it's not her, as TYPE-MOON changed her official hair color from blue to red.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

That's a little disappointing. The Aozaki sisters popping up in various places is always kind of fun. Though it makes sense that it's not her, as TYPE-MOON changed her official hair color from blue to red.

Her hair is blue in Fate/Extra. So it's whatever color Nasu wants it to be at that moment, I guess.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Interesting video popped up on Nico Nico comparing the Servant fights of F/sN anime and F/Z, and my god, how did I not remember the F/sN anime being this god awful :gonk:?

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm16032723

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

-Troika- posted:

Those who played Heaven's Feel may recall him using this on Shirou right at the end to get past the swords all over his body.

Didn't Kotomine say he actually really sucked at whatever style of Chinese martial arts he was using? (It didn't really matter in that case since, as he noted, it was a half-dead man against a half-dead man, and both sides needed whatever advantage they could get.)

So it's less that Kotomine is using Chinese martial arts as much as he's using the principles behind one of them.

EDIT: In any case, as awesome as Kotomine is in F/Z so far it's got nothing on what he did in HF. The guy ran at full speed through a heavy forest for like an hour, fought against a Servant, exorcized a guy, got his heart exploded, and wasn't even winded when he showed up at the end to duel Shirou to the death.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Nov 21, 2011

• Locked thread