Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Disease posted:

So after learning how to use Virgil properly I'm managing to win a lot more than I lose now. But I've got a huge problem against certain zoning teams:

Ghost Rider / Dorm / Sentinel
ANYONE / Hawkeye / Doom with missiles

If the player is poo poo I can sometimes win with teleports, judgement cuts and round trips. If they are good these match-ups seem just about impossible. The biggest problem by far is doom missile spam while Hawkeye goes crazy with arrows. Teleport is not an option against this because Hawkeye can do qcf+L, L which is an option select for triple arrow if they are on front of you and jump back and safely shoot a poison arrow if they are behind you. Also I can't do any real combo if I hit after a teleport because the doom missiles are going to come down and make sure that I'm the one that gets combo'ed. Even scrubs can make teleporting impossible by timing the arrows and missiles correctly.

So I've decided to make a team that does absolutely nothing but stops mindless zoning. My question is which team would be best at doing this against both good and bad zoners. My ideas:

Use one of the teams above and just try to beat them at their own game
Chris (Super jump and try to magnum them until they come at you? Shooting from prone and then standing up to block missiles?)
Dr Strange (Can he overpower Hawkeye/Sent drones somehow? I like the idea of him having gold Hsien Ko assist)

I honestly don't care how bad the characters are close in (except Arthur) - I just want zoners to come at me or die trying to zone. I'd mess around with all these characters in training mode but I don't have the time for gaming I used to and just want one sweet anti-zoning team I can devote my limited time to.

Spencer and Ryu (or Akuma) kill zoners with their instant-startup hypers that plow through any and all projectiles. Consider Amaterasu as well; she's got a projectile-reflecting counter move, is small enough to walk right under lots of projectiles, and has an instant-startup punish hyper and a slowdown hyper to make getting in really easy. And her Cold Star assist can lock down characters for easy mixups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

NecroMonster posted:

Can another nova player test something for me, Or just someone with some time and modest execution skills?

When throwing left with nova I can get centurian rush L, H S, jH nova strike M to hit. When throwing the enemy right with nova I cannot get the M nova strike to hit. I'm throwing the enemy out of, and not into, the corner in both cases. This is against akuma right now, but I've tested it against a few other characters and it won't work there either. Against heavier/larger characters the standing H won't hit at all, so there won't be enough hitstun left to combo into M nova strike either way, so don't bother trying on anyone haggar/she-hulk size or bigger.

Works fine for me against Akuma in either direction.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Fenn the Fool! posted:

Yeah, but if you're at casuals or a tournament where you tend to not be on your own console and make a trip to the character select screen once for every 2 or 3 matches turning the 60 second process into a 10 second one would be pretty helpful.

It taking you 60 seconds to select characters and colors is your fault, not the game.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Someone I know posted up this video just now. Anyone see any flaws in this tech??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUg3w9YulEQ

Phil Niekro
Jun 4, 2005

Why cant you jump block that?

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~

Cat Machine posted:

Someone I know posted up this video just now. Anyone see any flaws in this tech??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUg3w9YulEQ

I didn't spot any glaring flaws when I tested it a few days ago.

f1av0r
Jan 13, 2008
The biggest flaw is he's going to destroyed by anyone who isn't retarded. Just call out any super with instant start up -> xfactor super again. You just killed both characters GG. Or you can just Xfactor cancel the ghost rider hit and block dead pool and kill him. Either way it would only work once or twice before anyone who can adapt between matches would destroyed it

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

f1av0r posted:

The biggest flaw is he's going to destroyed by anyone who isn't retarded. Just call out any super with instant start up -> xfactor super again. You just killed both characters GG. Or you can just Xfactor cancel the ghost rider hit and block dead pool and kill him. Either way it would only work once or twice before anyone who can adapt between matches would destroyed it

How is that any different from any time someone calls an assist when the opponent isn't in block stun? I don't really see people getting immediately blown up every time they call taskmaster or sentinel to provide some cover for getting in from across the screen.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
If he mistimes he's going to get owned by Wesker and Task counter supers, and that ain't good.

Dr Slouch
May 8, 2008
I don't think the question was "is this an unstoppable atomic bomb of a strategy with no counter whatsoever" so much as "is this pretty much on par with your standard unblockable set-ups (which are powerful, but not the end-all-be-all)", but with the added benefit of being done from very far away. Considering so far all of these things have only been things that also beat other "normal" unblockable set-ups I suppose the answer is "yes."

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Until recently I was using Ghost Rider + Phoenix Wright Missile assist for the same unblockables. It doesn't cover very much space, and Ghost Rider's j.S has terrible startup and properties.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Yeah. Low hitting assist + ghost rider isn't a great way to set up unblockables.

High hitting assist + ghost rider's sweep tho? That's dirty sexy fun.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Yo money havers, is this Vergil combo I just thought up in my head possible?

l m h stinger xx upkicks sj m h s land summon swords black hole assist xx into place the summon swords on the opponent, and then l m followed by chained h's in s's until the summons swords run out? I doubt it but whatever.

Also, do you build meter while the summon swords are in other formations?

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~
I figured Ghost Rider backed by Deadpool's low hitting assist and Doom's beam would be fun.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Okay, so to put it to rest, I just saw a video where it looks like the most consistent thing to do is backdash, QCB+L, M for Hawkeye's corner OTG. It's just insanely tight, I guess. My fingers feel really stupid even trying to practice 6+L+M, QCB L, M that fast.

Can anyone suggest a team? I played Wesker/Dorm/Sentinel or Doom in vanilla, and I was trying to pick up at least one new character, if not build a new team with two. I'm primarily interested in Hawkeye, Nova, Vergil, or Ghost Rider. Or Captain America. Or Ryu. I want to play an 8v8 MvC4.

FSLink
Nov 6, 2009

Phenotype posted:

Okay, so to put it to rest, I just saw a video where it looks like the most consistent thing to do is backdash, QCB+L, M for Hawkeye's corner OTG. It's just insanely tight, I guess. My fingers feel really stupid even trying to practice 6+L+M, QCB L, M that fast.

Can anyone suggest a team? I played Wesker/Dorm/Sentinel or Doom in vanilla, and I was trying to pick up at least one new character, if not build a new team with two. I'm primarily interested in Hawkeye, Nova, Vergil, or Ghost Rider. Or Captain America. Or Ryu. I want to play an 8v8 MvC4.

step backwards -> f+M works for corner OTG too, though I think Freeze Shot does more damage.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Thanks to the goon for Iron Fist jump cancel, putting it to use though I don't know what to follow up with, it seems like everyone recovers in the air really quickly and S doesn't lead into a bounce so I can't follow up with an OTG. Ideas?

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
On the LevelUP stream, the game system just crossed Jint up. Even the system's got mad mixups.

He was comboing Taskmaster (the assist) after killing the point character with Ryu, so his Hadoken went the wrong way. He desperation tags out, but since he jumped forward, Taskmaster came back in on the other side, so KillerKai could pop XFactor and Happy Birthday Jint.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 :allears:

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Liku posted:

Thanks to the goon for Iron Fist jump cancel, putting it to use though I don't know what to follow up with, it seems like everyone recovers in the air really quickly and S doesn't lead into a bounce so I can't follow up with an OTG. Ideas?

If you catch them low enough you can do j.MH (delay a bit) S, M, qcf+L rekka, then either qcb/qcf+m into some more stuff. Only really worked on Iron Fist on day1 before deciding he wasn't for me but I did figure out that little loop.

edit: watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hokn7MvPlLQ

MadRhetoric posted:

On the LevelUP stream, the game system just crossed Jint up. Even the system's got mad mixups.

He was comboing Taskmaster (the assist) after killing the point character with Ryu, so his Hadoken went the wrong way. He desperation tags out, but since he jumped forward, Taskmaster came back in on the other side, so KillerKai could pop XFactor and Happy Birthday Jint.

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 :allears:

Pretty sure this is because the game uses the 'corpse' of the dead character to determine direction rather than whatever James Chen was talking about with characters coming in from certain sides, though the second case was true. It was the same in vanilla.

Fellblade fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Nov 20, 2011

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Combofiend's Hawkeye is pretty cool and holy poo poo that poison arrow pressure.

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

Floe just got absolutely destroyed by that doom, wow. Also Combo's Hawkeye is really fun to watch.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Floe just ate a rocket. Silly Floe, rockets are not oedipal.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
GREATEST COMEBACK EVER HOLY poo poo COMBOFIEND

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

InnercityGriot posted:

GREATEST COMEBACK EVER HOLY poo poo COMBOFIEND

and then another absolutely insane comeback, combofiend holy poo poo

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

Fellblade posted:

Pretty sure this is because the game uses the 'corpse' of the dead character to determine direction rather than whatever James Chen was talking about with characters coming in from certain sides, though the second case was true. It was the same in vanilla.

Yeah, he probably hopped the point character with Cap before Tasky came in.

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

A highly sophisticated simpleton.
So what exactly am I supposed to do against a Hawkeye/Task/<> Team? Stay at range and they can beat anyone, get in close and well whaddaya know, they have an excellent way to fight hand to hand. They can keep at range AND combo your face off. This is good. This was a good idea. I only have Skrull as a teleporter on my team and his options are pretty limited teleport wise.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Waverhouse posted:

So what exactly am I supposed to do against a Hawkeye/Task/<> Team? Stay at range and they can beat anyone, get in close and well whaddaya know, they have an excellent way to fight hand to hand. They can keep at range AND combo your face off. This is good. This was a good idea. I only have Skrull as a teleporter on my team and his options are pretty limited teleport wise.
What's the rest of your team?

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

A highly sophisticated simpleton.
GR/Chris/Skrull It's not really pro or has any actual synergy (I can use skrull for an otg on one Chris combo, even there its not a big deal. Chris mines are nice for GR too I guess). GR can handle himself alright, but I can only pressure them into the corner and get some Air S.s, half the time of which I cant seem to combo. It also doesn't help that the highly nuanced jump back arrow strategy can block before skrull lands on them,or moves them out of the way.

EDIT Does Hawkeye level 3 hit OTG?

Waverhouse fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Nov 20, 2011

shortround
Dec 4, 2004

Okey dokey Dr. Jones. Hold on to your potatoes!
Thought I'd share a little Nova trick. At this point, everyone playing him is already relaunching with f.H at some point in their BnB combo, and thats cool. But, when you do this, instead of f.H > S, use his c.B to put them in the air and you can go for an air grab reset a la wesker's gunshot + assist set up, except assistless. Usually you're in or near the corner at this point in a nova combo, so throwing him away from it with a back throw sets you up to OTG with 623L and leave the wall bounce to reset again if you want to or get a full combo.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008

Waverhouse posted:

Does Hawkeye level 3 hit OTG?

Pretty sure it does.

EDIT: The New Testament says yes. Guide is great, BTW.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

So yeah, I was dicking around with Hawkeye earlier and found out Triple Arrow's unsafe on hit to characters with good quick normals. Presumably means stuff like Ace Attorney and Gravity Squeeze can own it too. Going to test beam supers tomorrow probably

I'm sure everyone other than me knows this, just posting it for shits and giggles

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Another funny Hawkeye thing is that net arrow (or is it "dead arrow"?) blows up a lot of weird stuff, like Nemesis' super armor hyper. Stops them dead in their tracks. Probably works on other things I haven't seen yet.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
Apparently all of the H&H cards have leaked.

http://img.imgcake.com/1321749853766jpgam.jpg
http://img.imgcake.com/1321749937694jpgaz.jpg
http://img.imgcake.com/1321749990648jpguz.jpg

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Cue a thousand fanboys crying "WHY ISN'T THIS CHARACTER PLAYABLE"

e: on topic, is h&h playable online as well as locally? It actually sounds pretty fun, I wanna try it with my friends.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Jmcrofts posted:

e: on topic, is h&h playable online as well as locally? It actually sounds pretty fun, I wanna try it with my friends.

You can do both, yeah.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Jmcrofts posted:

I'm pretty sure they said it was available for both. I'm laughing that multiple man is literally copy pasted though. I don't know if that's a nice touch or not.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Card art owns, I guess. Any word on the effects?

While we're at it, any idea if there's a random card option? That would be fun as heck

e: Pretty sure I read somewhere that it's playable online and that it tallies whether heroes or heralds are winning each each or something. I'll see if I can dig up a link

e2: hahaha gently caress me, i can't read

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Nov 20, 2011

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008
Fin Fang Foom card makes all characters on your team wear purple speedos.

Offline play for Heroes and Heralds sounds kinda weird, can't find if there's anything about local play: http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2011/nov/03/umvc3s-heroes-heralds-mode-will-have-online-weekly-wars/

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Zabel card lets you move forward while crouching

Sasquatch card replaces your level 3 with a banana eating super

Also none of this is true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Is it just me or does it seem like those cards are all missing some green? Also who is fat iron man?

• Locked thread