Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Delivery McGee posted:

Yeah, Sense is pretty keen, though I'd kill a man to be able to replace the pull-to-unlock ring with a lawnmower pullstarter handle (with rope, I'd only maim a dude if you couldn't animate the rope).

What do you mean about the Sense launcher being green (or a lot less with launcherpro)? I've only got the notification-bar icons, admin-type-window borders and overscroll flash in green. Also the bigass ugly icon for the phone option in the launcher, but it's allowable given the other perks.

I'm sure that can be accomplished with Widgetlocker.

With LaucherPro the only green is the notification icons, which is tolerable. I use widgetlocker as well, so I guess I didn't mention that so I don't see the ugly green unlock ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!
I was using CleanROM on my EVO 3D for a while but started having problems with random reboots. Sometimes it was once a day, sometimes it would happen every couple minutes for hours on end. I switched to Fresh the other day and so far have had no problems with it. It lacks some of the fancy stuff Clean has like the CRT animation and window animations, but I'll trade those for stability. I used Fresh on my EVO 4G before switching to CM7 so I was expecting it to be great, which it is.

Delivery McGee posted:

I haven't tried Fresh but I think it still lacks 3D support (but I could be wrong). There's definitely a reason I'm not using it, but I've forgotten that reason.

3D works fine.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Same here, clean rom started strong but has gotten glitchy with poor battery life.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

No, if your phone is having physical problems Sprint will exchange it for $35. Honestly my store never cares if its flashed, but worst case flash it back.
Wait - he said he was out of warranty and no TEP. Sprint will still exchange the phone for $35? What constitutes "Physical problems"?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Delivery McGee posted:

I'd kill a man to be able to replace the pull-to-unlock ring

You can :ssh:

blargle posted:

Same here, clean rom started strong but has gotten glitchy with poor battery life.

That's why I rolled back to 2.6.1 or whatever from 2.7 and haven't upgraded since. Plus the guy's a total moron on XDA and if I wasn't lazy I'd just switch over to Fresh or Warm.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

blargle posted:

I had the same issue. I've been running the new FreshROM for the 3D, and it definitely seems better for now.

letsgoflyers81
Aug 7, 2003

C IS FOR COOKIE!

big mean giraffe posted:

You can :ssh:

That's why I rolled back to 2.6.1 or whatever from 2.7 and haven't upgraded since. Plus the guy's a total moron on XDA and if I wasn't lazy I'd just switch over to Fresh or Warm.

I started getting the reboots on 2.6.1 or even earlier. I gave up after 2.8. Switching to Fresh was very easy, just do a full backup with Titanium Backup, and restore apps and data after flashing. It's not an instant process, but it's easy enough.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Oh I know its easy, just :effort: plus 2.6.1 is stable for me.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
Fresh has gotten better than Clean for my Evo3D. And now with the recent release of 4.0.5 the only thing I'm missing from Clean is the CRT animations. I never liked the window animations from Clean anyway. They're too intrusive and slow.

PITTSBURGH GLUE FORTUNE
Sep 24, 2002

Today, I ended up being allowed out of my Sprint contract early. It's kind of sad, really...Ive been with them 3 years and I've always been happy. But this issue of my Evo 4G constantly powering down while I am at home has been ongoing for 6 weeks and I've been into the store a dozen times, on the phone with customer support/retentions/everyone under the sun and no one was willing to or able to help me.

The issue is clearly region specific, I spoke to other people in the store today that have the same problem in the same area I live in. I spoke to retentions again today and they weren't able to offer me a phone that was at all comparable to the Evo 4g and are sending me a return envelope to ship my phone back to them. The guy even tried to offer me an early upgrade but apparently their support structure is set up such that its not possible to offer a customer that even if it is the difference between keeping and losing a customer.

The source of the issue that I was finally given by a manager at the store who seemed to actually care that I had the problem was that ever since the iPhone came out HTC phones in my area have been acting up. He has reported it to his higher ups but no one did anything to remedy it or even looked into it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

berzerkmonkey posted:

Wait - he said he was out of warranty and no TEP. Sprint will still exchange the phone for $35? What constitutes "Physical problems"?

Yeah, I just reread that and now I'm not completely sure. Honestly, I got most of sprints tech policies down, but I'm still new enough to the tech center part that I could be wrong. In terms of replacing out of warranty phones at a sprint repair center for $35, I've done it, my more tech center experienced coworkers have done it, worth at least asking.

And I am switching to fresh ASAP from clean ROM, thanks for the reviews!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Is there something I'm not configuring properly or is Google Voice just incapable of threading messages per person?

For example, I have a bunch of discrete entries for my girlfriend, each consisting of a different set of text messages we had going back and forth - this seems to be trying to separate them into distinct "conversations" wherein it'll group together texts sent back and forth quickly, but not if they're a while apart. Considering that we really only use texts for short things like asking to pick something up from the store on the way home or asking if I'd like to go to lunch, I end up racking up a lot of these entries and just having to go through and archive them (one by loving one, another gripe)

I'm not sure if the explosive growth of the list of entries (SMS, calls, VM) results in the app slowing down incredibly badly, but that's another issue. The app is amazingly sluggish/jerky almost all the time.

I've gotten around this by just reverting to the stock SMS app on my E3D, configuring the GV app to only post notifications for voicemails in the notification bar, and making it receive texts through both apps but not notify via GV when texts come in (only the stock app posts notifications of texts, only the GV app posts notifications of VM, missed calls are posted stock/non-GV as well) and it's worked nicely. I just like the look of the GV notification icon and like the one-list-for-everything setup it's got except for the above-mentioned issues.

Is there any way to fix this?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Entire Universe posted:

Is there something I'm not configuring properly or is Google Voice just incapable of threading messages per person?

For example, I have a bunch of discrete entries for my girlfriend, each consisting of a different set of text messages we had going back and forth - this seems to be trying to separate them into distinct "conversations" wherein it'll group together texts sent back and forth quickly, but not if they're a while apart. Considering that we really only use texts for short things like asking to pick something up from the store on the way home or asking if I'd like to go to lunch, I end up racking up a lot of these entries and just having to go through and archive them (one by loving one, another gripe)

I'm not sure if the explosive growth of the list of entries (SMS, calls, VM) results in the app slowing down incredibly badly, but that's another issue. The app is amazingly sluggish/jerky almost all the time.

I've gotten around this by just reverting to the stock SMS app on my E3D, configuring the GV app to only post notifications for voicemails in the notification bar, and making it receive texts through both apps but not notify via GV when texts come in (only the stock app posts notifications of texts, only the GV app posts notifications of VM, missed calls are posted stock/non-GV as well) and it's worked nicely. I just like the look of the GV notification icon and like the one-list-for-everything setup it's got except for the above-mentioned issues.

Is there any way to fix this?

I kind of have this problem too, although how Google voice threads texts never bothers me. The app can be frustratingly sluggish.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

The Entire Universe posted:

I use the GV app for everything, and never archive anything on an EVO 4g and haven't noticed any slowdown. The app only loads ~2 screens of conversations by default (I guess this isn't really helpful, but what I was trying to say is I think most Google stuff works best if you don't archive and just let Google do their thing).

Cathis
Sep 11, 2001

Me in a hotel with a mini-bar. How's that story end?
I just spent the last 3 days loving around with my Epic 4G, rooting it and installing several different superuser files... I am still not sure if I managed to fix my GPS. I am DEEPLY annoyed that it's so hosed up from a pushed Sprint/Samsung "upgrade". I am seriously tempted to take my boss up on her offer, cancel my Sprint contract and go with an Iphone paid for by work through AT&T.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cathis posted:

I just spent the last 3 days loving around with my Epic 4G, rooting it and installing several different superuser files... I am still not sure if I managed to fix my GPS. I am DEEPLY annoyed that it's so hosed up from a pushed Sprint/Samsung "upgrade". I am seriously tempted to take my boss up on her offer, cancel my Sprint contract and go with an Iphone paid for by work through AT&T.

I like Sprint and all, but why would you not go with a phone paid for by work?

Cathis
Sep 11, 2001

Duckman2008 posted:

I like Sprint and all, but why would you not go with a phone paid for by work?

Well, before it was due to not wanting to have to pay to cancel my contract a year early, at this point it's just stubbornness. With the broken GPS thing, I am pretty sure I can get out of the ETF at this point.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Destro85 posted:

The source of the issue that I was finally given by a manager at the store who seemed to actually care that I had the problem was that ever since the iPhone came out HTC phones in my area have been acting up. He has reported it to his higher ups but no one did anything to remedy it or even looked into it.

Did he have a theory about it? Because that sounds pretty crazy to me. :psyduck:

PITTSBURGH GLUE FORTUNE
Sep 24, 2002

Bobby Digital posted:

Did he have a theory about it? Because that sounds pretty crazy to me. :psyduck:

No, just that ever since the iPhone came out Sprint branded HTC phones have stopped working in the area I live in. He was hesitant to talk much about what he thought was happening.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Then he should have replaced your phone with an iPhone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lovie Unsmith posted:

Then he should have replaced your phone with an iPhone.

Yeah, good luck with that one :)

Destro85 posted:

No, just that ever since the iPhone came out Sprint branded HTC phones have stopped working in the area I live in. He was hesitant to talk much about what he thought was happening.

Sounds like this guy was spewing a load of poo poo honestly. Original Evos are showing their age, but you also see a lot of problem Evos simply because of how many frickin Evos were sold. The more out on the market, the problems you will see.

PITTSBURGH GLUE FORTUNE
Sep 24, 2002

I tried so hard to just be allowed to upgrade my phone or get a different handset. All they offered me was some Blackberry.

It is apparently impossible to upgrade early with sprint.

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

IRC - Its nothing more than multiplayer notepad.

Cathis posted:

I was annoyed to find out that the GPS was still broken as well following my Gingerbread update. That said, after rooting it and whatnot, applying that GPS fix that was posted just a bit earlier in the thread did wonders for my Epic - I can get a lock on 9 satellites while sitting inside my house now, in like 5 - 10 seconds... and almost instantly while outdoors. It's nuts.

I am now OK with the Epic again, for the time being. Honestly, I still want a new phone, but I really want to hold out for ICS native devices to start rolling out - Galaxy Prime or otherwise.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Destro85 posted:

I tried so hard to just be allowed to upgrade my phone or get a different handset. All they offered me was some Blackberry.

It is apparently impossible to upgrade early with sprint.

If you have insurance repair centers can swap it for, at the least, a Nexus S. They have to approve it, and technically only can do it after 2-3 swaps, but it can be done. Varies depending on the store is seems how likely they are to do it.

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

I got my EVO 3D and logged into Sprint's site to upgrade. I'm currently on the $40 SERO Premium 500. I figured it would just tell me I needed to add the $10/month data, but it wouldn't let me activate without changing plans completely. Now I am waiting for everythingreferral@sprint.com to add the data to my plan which I am hoping will fix it.

While I'm waiting I've been playing around with the new phone. While the hardware is really snappy and doesn't suffer from the random 10 second freezes that my WinMo phone does, I'm not impressed by Android with Sense. I guess I just need to learn the tricks of the OS and get it customized the way I want it, but those WinMo rom cookers did some great work with the hardware they had available.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
loving hell. I've read that the Evo 3D's 3D fails at close range because of the parallax (get too close and the cameras are too far apart, y'dig), so I decided to try it and see how just bad it is. IT'S VERY BAD. I'm pretty sure I broke my brain. You'd think it would just make a double image, but no, there's eye-dominance effects, so you see one solid-ish image and one ghost, and if you wiggle the phone you see three and one of them dances. It's like that picture of the girl's face with her eyes and mouth doubled, but even more so. This is what the Old Ones look like :cthulhu:.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

rhombus posted:

I got my EVO 3D and logged into Sprint's site to upgrade. I'm currently on the $40 SERO Premium 500. I figured it would just tell me I needed to add the $10/month data, but it wouldn't let me activate without changing plans completely. Now I am waiting for everythingreferral@sprint.com to add the data to my plan which I am hoping will fix it.

While I'm waiting I've been playing around with the new phone. While the hardware is really snappy and doesn't suffer from the random 10 second freezes that my WinMo phone does, I'm not impressed by Android with Sense. I guess I just need to learn the tricks of the OS and get it customized the way I want it, but those WinMo rom cookers did some great work with the hardware they had available.
You should've just called Employee Care. They'd have gotten you activated and good to go in like 2 minutes.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Delivery McGee posted:

It's like that picture of the girl's face with her eyes and mouth doubled

Instantly, this image appeared in my head, then appeared in google image search.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

hotsauce posted:

Instantly, this image appeared in my head, then appeared in google image search.

That's the one!

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
I took my EVO to the Sprint store down the street yesterday for the buy-back thing. Easy as hell, took maybe 5 minutes. They didn't even turn the phone on. Just took off the battery cover, scanned the IMEI, and gave me a receipt basically. I could have got more than $90 on Craigslist or Ebay I'm sure, but I would have felt like an rear end in a top hat. The phone had so many loving problems, and dings from being dropped, etc.

Cathis
Sep 11, 2001

OK, that's it, I've been convinced to get a "free" work Iphone.
Are there any current etf-avoidance tactics?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
For the evo 3d, is a class 6 microsd card pretty much the standard needed?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Sprint launches $20 Android phone

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Lovie Unsmith posted:

That thing is probably such a piece of poo poo.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Lovie Unsmith posted:

Above the screen, looks like an iPhone. Below the screen, looks like a Blackberry. Between the two, looks like poo poo. For $70 before rebate, it's a good price for a meh phone for people that don't really want a smartphone. Ones of them will be sold.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Above the screen, looks like an iPhone. Below the screen, looks like a Blackberry. Between the two, looks like poo poo. For $70 before rebate, it's a good price for a meh phone for people that don't really want a smartphone. Ones of them will be sold.

May as well get the Replenish and save $10/month.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I actually thought it was a Blackberry when I first saw it until I noticed the Google search widget at the top.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
256mb RAM? Jesus that thing must chug like crazy.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Goddamnit carriers, stop selling lovely phones that save you $150 compared to the $2000 cost of the life of the contract, and make smartphones look bad because this piece of poo poo has to last you for 2 years.

I can't even blame consumers for being this loving stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

big mean giraffe posted:

256mb RAM? Jesus that thing must chug like crazy.
The Hero only has 288MB.