Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

anticake posted:

Red Planet got a TV adaptation that ran on Fox Saturday Morning in the mid-nineties. The aliens are these tall rear end brown things. The main character has a baby one as a pet.

That sounds about right, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokyo Incident
Nov 1, 2011

relax
Saw this film about 15 years ago on TV. It wasn't in english; almost certainly a european movie though I can't remember which language. In colour, subbed and it didn't seem too old at the time, probably made around the early 90s.

In it three people, one woman and two men, are stationed on a small inhospitable island which they are told is irradiated. They're expected to stay there for a long period of time and run some tests on the area. They're given a small, featureless facility to stay in and occasionally venture outside for brief periods of time in radiation suits so they can take some soil samples or whatever.

From what I remember of the plot it was a slow burning thriller, with tensions in the group rising when one of the men and the woman start sleeping together, making the other guy all jealous and brooding. During a field expedition one of the men has some sort of mishap and passes out, causing part of his radiation suit to open. The other male is the only one who notices the suit malfunction but says nothing, using it as an excuse to see if the island they were on really was irradiated (and/or to get his love rival out of the frame). At some point it turns out that one of the people wasn't supposed to have been an eligible candidate for the group, meaning they have some shady reason for being there. There were a bunch of other twists, but that's all I can remember.

Been looking for this one for a while but obviously haven't had any luck so far.

Tokyo Incident fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Nov 13, 2011

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Comedy Central used to run a Zucker-style film noir spoof a lot in the early 2000s. Anyone remember what it was called?

Topper Harley
Jul 6, 2005
You have the whitest white part of the eyes I've ever seen. Do you floss?

morestuff posted:

Comedy Central used to run a Zucker-style film noir spoof a lot in the early 2000s. Anyone remember what it was called?

Maybe Fatal Instinct.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106873/

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Topper Harley posted:

Maybe Fatal Instinct.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106873/

Yep, that's the one.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
I thought this was Horrible Bosses, but went back and it must be something else. I think this was near the beginning of the movie.

Scene is a corporate meeting, male protagonist and other employees are about to give a big pitch to a senior executive. Last guy to roll in before the boss is a smarmy jock dick the protagonist hates. The guy seems to have it all, but is a huge rear end to protagonist. Boss finally comes in and jerk-guy presents a brilliant idea that has been shamelessly stolen from protagonist, gets kudos, promotion, etc.

This may have happened in a few movies but I'm distinctly remembering one where the presentation had charts and paperwork the protagonist was freaking out over when confronting the thief. A very recent Hollywood movie.

e: does this happen in Dinner For Schmucks?

Pweller fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Nov 13, 2011

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit

Pweller posted:

I thought this was Horrible Bosses, but went back and it must be something else. I think this was near the beginning of the movie.

Scene is a corporate meeting, male protagonist and other employees are about to give a big pitch to a senior executive. Last guy to roll in before the boss is a smarmy jock dick the protagonist hates. The guy seems to have it all, but is a huge rear end to protagonist. Boss finally comes in and jerk-guy presents a brilliant idea that has been shamelessly stolen from protagonist, gets kudos, promotion, etc.

This may have happened in a few movies but I'm distinctly remembering one where the presentation had charts and paperwork the protagonist was freaking out over when confronting the thief. A very recent Hollywood movie.

e: does this happen in Dinner For Schmucks?

It is Dinner For Schmucks.

PateraOctopus
Oct 27, 2010

It's not enough to listen, it's not enough to see
When the hurricane is coming on, it's not enough to flee
Watched part of this movie out of the corner of my eye on a restaurant TV while working in spring 2010. There's a married couple and the woman thinks she's turning into a dog--when the husband talks to her she'll only whine or bark or growl in response. At one point they take her to the doctor and she continues to do her dog thing there. There may also be a scene in which she goes to a dog park; memory is blurry on this one.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

PateraOctopus posted:

Watched part of this movie out of the corner of my eye on a restaurant TV while working in spring 2010. There's a married couple and the woman thinks she's turning into a dog--when the husband talks to her she'll only whine or bark or growl in response. At one point they take her to the doctor and she continues to do her dog thing there. There may also be a scene in which she goes to a dog park; memory is blurry on this one.

Bark!?

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
A friend described a comedy to me which he saw years ago at a drive-in theater, I couldn't find the movie so maybe one of you guys can. It was probably from the 80s. There's a chance it was a British movie as well.

The main character is a crooked insurance salesman. The victim of his next fraud is a huge fan of John Lennon, and yet somehow isn't aware that he had passed away. The insurance salesman hires a homeless man who bears an uncanny resemblance to John Lennon, to fool his potential victim. Toward the end of the movie, the homeless man comes to genuinely believe that he is John Lennon.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Daler Mehndi posted:

A friend described a comedy to me which he saw years ago at a drive-in theater, I couldn't find the movie so maybe one of you guys can. It was probably from the 80s. There's a chance it was a British movie as well.

The main character is a crooked insurance salesman. The victim of his next fraud is a huge fan of John Lennon, and yet somehow isn't aware that he had passed away. The insurance salesman hires a homeless man who bears an uncanny resemblance to John Lennon, to fool his potential victim. Toward the end of the movie, the homeless man comes to genuinely believe that he is John Lennon.

Google: movie john lennon insurance salesman

Janis and John

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
And he assured me it wasn't from the 90s or the 00s. :confused: Thanks for being much more thorough than I was!

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I cannot be sure this is a movie but I wanna hope it was.

The only scene I remember is the good guy in the film is stopped by a claymore mine (I think it was in an office or doorway). He somehow reverses the front or some part of the claymore so it would explode toward the enemy who detonated it thinking it would kill good guy but killed him instead.

Right Brigade
Aug 11, 2007

Haerc posted:

I'm pretty sure I saw this as a kid in the mid 90's, probably on VHS. The only scene I remember shows someone opening a small box containing a human heart (perhaps some other organ) with a bite taken out of it. IIRC the killer/biter was a serial killer?

Hopefully this is actually a movie and I don't need therapy.
You don't need a shrink: Split Second starring Rutger Hauer.
Here's the scene on Youtube

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
I posted this nearly 3 years ago and never got a reply. For a while, I thought I had figured it out - I thought it was obscure Canadian children's film George's Island. But I was thinking about it again the other day and I realized that was almost certainly wrong. So here goes nothing.

I watched this when I was a kid on VHS - it can't have been much later than 1998, and I suspect the movie was made in the late 80s or early 90s. The only part that I remember distinctly is that in the beginning there's these two kids, a boy and a girl, in the same class at school. The girl is very talented and smart, the boy is kind of a klutz - the girl is always getting gold stars from the teacher, the boy never gets any. However, it turns out, they're both orphans and they're living at the same foster home, even though they pretend not to know each other.

That's all I remember for certain. I'm pretty sure they escape from the foster home and go on some kind of adventure. There may have been pirates or ghosts involved, or some kind of cave or island, but I am extremely hazy on that. And I'm kind of thinking that the two main characters weren't brother and sister.

I hope someone out there remembers this movie and it's not something I've made up or gotten terrible confused, because it's kind of driving me crazy. Any help greatly appreciated!

PateraOctopus
Oct 27, 2010

It's not enough to listen, it's not enough to see
When the hurricane is coming on, it's not enough to flee

MrGreenShirt posted:

Bark!?

Well, the probability of there being two of this type of movie out there is pretty slim, so that's almost certainly it. Thanks!

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

enuma elish posted:

I posted this nearly 3 years ago and never got a reply. For a while, I thought I had figured it out - I thought it was obscure Canadian children's film George's Island. But I was thinking about it again the other day and I realized that was almost certainly wrong. So here goes nothing.

That happens in George's Island (I posted looking for that film years ago). If you remember a pirate getting decapitated to guard a treasure as a ghost, the boy's grandpa rolling around in a giant eye on halloween, and the foster care mother (who locked the kids in their room) being tormented by ghost pirates looking for grog than that's the movie you're looking for.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

SneakySneaks posted:

That happens in George's Island (I posted looking for that film years ago). If you remember a pirate getting decapitated to guard a treasure as a ghost, the boy's grandpa rolling around in a giant eye on halloween, and the foster care mother (who locked the kids in their room) being tormented by ghost pirates looking for grog than that's the movie you're looking for.

I think I've been looking for George's Island for a really long time. At first I thought the film I was looking for was 'Frog Dreaming', but I'm like 90% sure it's George's Island. Thanks!

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

SneakySneaks posted:

If that does happen in George's Island then it probably is George's Island. I really remember very little else from the movie, so that's probably it. Thanks for the help!

SolidHavoc
Jul 16, 2003
I saw a movie years ago about a mentally disturbed woman who basically kidnaps a Muslim cab driver in NYC. It was released shortly after the September 11th attacks, anyone have any idea?

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Nutsngum posted:

You guys might be able to help me with this.
I only have vague memories of this but I think it was like a seventies or eighties TV sci fi movie with those white halls and the like.

The story was something about these aliens that i remember looking like tall masses of seaweed or something but the humans see them as other humans. Then someone comes along who can see them for who they are etc.. but the aliens aren't bad guys or something.

Been irritating me for years, any ideas?

I am super late here, but was it the "Bringers of Wonder" episode of Space: 1999?

You probably figured this out already but I didn't see a reply in the thread.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

SolidHavoc posted:

I saw a movie years ago about a mentally disturbed woman who basically kidnaps a Muslim cab driver in NYC. It was released shortly after the September 11th attacks, anyone have any idea?

Sorry, Haters?

SolidHavoc
Jul 16, 2003

Origami Dali posted:

Sorry, Haters?

Awesome, thanks!

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Time for a vague one.

I'm looking for an Asian, probably Chinese, movie where it has lots of shots of a very large dilapidated looking city with a river running through it and there's a voice over of a man who at one point talks about how people used to say that mermaids swam in the river. The story also mostly involves a girl.

It's a drama of sorts and no, I cannot be any more vague about it.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme
A possibly made for TV movie about a cop (maybe NYC) trying to stop a serial killer on the subway. The killer strangles old ladies while dressed up as an old lady. The public is aware of the killers MO. The cop dresses up as an old lady to make himself a target. Just as the cop spots the killer attempting to murder another victim in the next car, some passengers notice that he is really a man, and try to stop him, thinking he is really the serial killer. He finally convices the good samaritans that he is indeed a cop, and stops the psycho.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Nerdfest X posted:

A possibly made for TV movie about a cop (maybe NYC) trying to stop a serial killer on the subway. The killer strangles old ladies while dressed up as an old lady. The public is aware of the killers MO. The cop dresses up as an old lady to make himself a target. Just as the cop spots the killer attempting to murder another victim in the next car, some passengers notice that he is really a man, and try to stop him, thinking he is really the serial killer. He finally convices the good samaritans that he is indeed a cop, and stops the psycho.

I don't know this movie, but my god, that plot. :psyduck:

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

Nerdfest X posted:

It's probably not it but this scene from Nighthawks came to mind.

Nushergrudger
Dec 18, 2009
Okay, so this has been bothering me for years and I just thought of posting it here.

I saw a movie, maybe 10-15 years ago. I believe it was about some people that were lured to a house under the premise that it was for a reality TV show or something. The owner locked them all inside and started killing them.

The only scenes I remember is an acid shower, a person getting ripped open at the stomache by a trap in the kitchen and the final scene where the survivor started cutting her face off.

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug

Nushergrudger posted:

Okay, so this has been bothering me for years and I just thought of posting it here.

I saw a movie, maybe 10-15 years ago. I believe it was about some people that were lured to a house under the premise that it was for a reality TV show or something. The owner locked them all inside and started killing them.

The only scenes I remember is an acid shower, a person getting ripped open at the stomache by a trap in the kitchen and the final scene where the survivor started cutting her face off.

Eh I don't think this is it, but worth a shot:

My Little Eye
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Little_Eye

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Nushergrudger posted:

Kolobos?

Nushergrudger
Dec 18, 2009

franco posted:

Kolobos?

That's the one! I knew it started with a "K"... Thank you for putting my mind at ease.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme

SneakySneaks posted:

It's probably not it but this scene from Nighthawks came to mind.

No, not Nighthawks. I think most of the killings, if not all occur on the subway. The killer has some Norman Bates thing going on. As he kills the old ladies, he is crying, calling them "Mommy" and telling them how sorry he is.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

Nerdfest X posted:

No Way to Treat a Lady ?

Sixty-Proof
Jul 23, 2007
Does anyone know what movie I am thinking of? I saw the trailer about a month ago, it was an ancient fantasy seemingly told to a little girl as a story? I cannot for the life of me find the trailer.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Sixty-Proof posted:

Does anyone know what movie I am thinking of? I saw the trailer about a month ago, it was an ancient fantasy seemingly told to a little girl as a story? I cannot for the life of me find the trailer.

Sounds like The Fall

Sixty-Proof
Jul 23, 2007

morestuff posted:

Sounds like The Fall
Yes. Thank you.

Crazedmongoose
Dec 25, 2007

"...oh if only I weren't so fat..."
Okay I have two movies I can't remember.

First up, the easy one. It's a Golden Age (I THINK), and quite a popular one, I just can't remember which. It's about a man trying to apprehend Nazis operating in the USA during or right before WW2. He teams up with the daughter of a convicted Nazi (however said daughter is a patriot). The daughter takes an assignment as an agent, and seduces and pretends to be a wife of a suspected Nazi.

The end scene has the protagonist walking the sick (wounded?) woman out of the Nazi house with a gun hidden in his sleeve, and leaving in a car.

Second one is probably going to be a bit harder but worth a try. Its a very old (late 20's or 1930) surrealist short(?) film. I can't remember many details but there was a scene where a...ghost like woman? Kind of drifts around a street/up some outside stairs in a rather unnatural manner.

Nerdfest X
Feb 7, 2008
UberDork Extreme

Mouser.. posted:

No Way to Treat a Lady ?

No, this is not it. The movie is from later than that, at least the mid eighties, possibly early nineties.

However, No Way To Treat A Lady seems like an interesting film.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Crazedmongoose posted:

First up, the easy one. It's a Golden Age (I THINK), and quite a popular one, I just can't remember which. It's about a man trying to apprehend Nazis operating in the USA during or right before WW2. He teams up with the daughter of a convicted Nazi (however said daughter is a patriot). The daughter takes an assignment as an agent, and seduces and pretends to be a wife of a suspected Nazi.

The end scene has the protagonist walking the sick (wounded?) woman out of the Nazi house with a gun hidden in his sleeve, and leaving in a car.

Second one is probably going to be a bit harder but worth a try. Its a very old (late 20's or 1930) surrealist short(?) film. I can't remember many details but there was a scene where a...ghost like woman? Kind of drifts around a street/up some outside stairs in a rather unnatural manner.

Notorious and probably House on Haunted Hill.

Is this the second scene?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

Crazedmongoose posted:

This is almost certainly Notorious.