Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Doom Rooster posted:

I am really torn on this one. Sous vide sounds great, and I cannot argue with the results that I see posted, but does the Supreme make the process simple/easy/fast enough to allow sous vide to become an everyday ( or at least regular) cooking method for most meals?

Help me justify spending $200 on this thing that I have lived without for so long already (or tell me it isn't worth it).

I am in the same boat. I struggled with this one last year and didn't go for it. Kind of regretted it, so I'm closer to buying it this year.

Should I go for the vacuum sealer or is it not worth the money? Not even sure yet if the coupon works with the combo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logical fallacy
Mar 16, 2001

Dynamic Symmetry

geetee posted:

I am in the same boat. I struggled with this one last year and didn't go for it. Kind of regretted it, so I'm closer to buying it this year.

Should I go for the vacuum sealer or is it not worth the money? Not even sure yet if the coupon works with the combo.

I googled something like "sous vide supreme vacuum sealer review" and saw that it's mostly negative. Considering the highest non-pro/non-chamber foodsaver on Amazon is <$70, it doesn't make sense spending nearly double for something with half the rating.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
:doh: I suppose I should have done a quick search before asking. Thanks! I took the dive (har har) and ordered a red unit sans sealer. Now to dig up the sous vide thread!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Doom Rooster posted:

I am really torn on this one. Sous vide sounds great, and I cannot argue with the results that I see posted, but does the Supreme make the process simple/easy/fast enough to allow sous vide to become an everyday ( or at least regular) cooking method for most meals?

Help me justify spending $200 on this thing that I have lived without for so long already (or tell me it isn't worth it).

It keeps water at a steady enough temperature, that's about as simple as it gets, really. I cook probably half of my meals sous-vide.

tycho_atreides
Oct 25, 2006

Here be dargonz

geetee posted:

Honestly, having used sous vide at work for years, I can say that pretty much 90% of the stuff we do in circulators can be done with ziplock bags. We even use ziplock bags for fish (HACCP reasons). I can't think of anything I would want to do at home that can't done ghetto sous vide (ziplocks). Just put whatever protein in a bag, ad aromatics or whatever, a little olive oil to fill the cracks, and seal the bag in water to squeeze out the air - immerse the bag all except the very top and seal it up.

That being said, I enjoy old school cooking at home more so I wouldnt be particularly inclined to circulate stuff.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
Ziploc bags have worked for everything I've wanted to cook sous vide so far. The medium size ultra heavy duty freezer bags are the best for most stuff. I kind of want a vacuum sealer for some stuff, but it's not essential by any means.

Just a reminder to anyone on the fence about the Demi: $199 deal ends at midnight PST tonight.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Just started looking at the deal and SV cooking has interested me for a while, but I'm just not sure I would use it as much. On the other hand my wife and I cook for ourselves every night so I can see this helping with the protein part. I tried to bring up the old Sous Vide thread in GWS for some inspiration but I guess it has been deleted?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Goldmined or archived.

I've been wrestling with the same decision about SV

Sous video magic has an interesting solution for sealing bags.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Hed posted:

I tried to bring up the old Sous Vide thread in GWS for some inspiration but I guess it has been deleted?

I don't even know if I have archives at this point, but give this link a shot: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3289713

edit: The guide link in the OP is dead, hit this: http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Bought the SVS Demi last night. Should arrive in like 8 days I guess. I've been on a Lucky Peach kick again lately, so I plan on making a big batch of fresh noodles & broth, then running through the various temps of egg myself to see what I like in my ramen.

Fredus
Sep 4, 2004
the lonely albatross
The only thing I've found ziplocks suck at are broccoli which probably isn't a very intelligent thing to sous vide anyway. Also don't by cheap thin ziplocks if you are cooking at vegetable temperatures.

Even though ziplocks work fine I'm still craving a chamber vac.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Chemmy posted:

Messier how? I'm already using my knife which will need to be cleaned anyways. I don't want to wash a garlic peeler.

Slower? Put the knife on the garlic and hit it. It takes one second.
I always get garlic skins sticking to the sides of my knife so I need to rinse it off before cutting the garlic anyhow.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

mindphlux posted:

actually probably better than the kitchenaid. I have the attachment, and while it works, it's not my favorite thing in the world. seems to turn my meat to paste a little more often than not. but then, I've never hand cranked a meat grinder, so that is probably annoying too.
I made 100 lbs of sausage with 3 other people. It took us about 4 hours, including setup/cleanup. We used a large, hand-cranked meat grinder and an ancillary electric meat grinder -- the hand-cranked one had much more capacity and actually went faster. For stuffing the casings, a hydraulic stuffer is amazing.

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008
This is the best place to ask, I think: I've been gardening, and after recently losing a large batch of chives to improper storage (I froze them and they turned to mush), I'm thinking of getting a food dehydrator. Does anybody have any experience in picking one out? I would want one that will dehydrate herbs and maybe fruits at the least, but if it will be a several hundred dollar purchase, I would hope it could do more, maybe being able to make jerky or something, which I think I had heard you could do with one.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Devoyniche posted:

This is the best place to ask, I think: I've been gardening, and after recently losing a large batch of chives to improper storage (I froze them and they turned to mush), I'm thinking of getting a food dehydrator. Does anybody have any experience in picking one out? I would want one that will dehydrate herbs and maybe fruits at the least, but if it will be a several hundred dollar purchase, I would hope it could do more, maybe being able to make jerky or something, which I think I had heard you could do with one.

Basically anything that has a variable temperature setting and a fan will do.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
I've been looking for a food processor for awhile, and this 10-cup Oster came up today on home.woot. Does anyone have any experience with it, good or bad?

Amazon didnt have any reviews for it, so maybe its a weird model or something. I want it mostly for making pizza crust, and pie dough, but I imagine it'll come in handy with making sauces and lots of other things.

Here is the woot link: http://home.woot.com/sale/oster-10-...tm_medium=email

and the (now correct) Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Oster-FPSTFP4600-Professional-Stainless-Steel-Processor/dp/B003Z9LGYW/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Iron Lung fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Nov 18, 2011

Doodarazumas
Oct 7, 2007

Devoyniche posted:

I have heard this is one of those things where the diy ones are just as good, google around. I know there's at least an Alton Brown version that's just a box fan and cheap paper a/c filters.

All completely second-hand info though, I've never used a commercial or home-made one.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Iron Lung posted:

I've been looking for a food processor for awhile, and this 10-cup Oster came up today on home.woot. Does anyone have any experience with it, good or bad?

Amazon didnt have any reviews for it,

Sure about that?

http://www.amazon.com/Oster-FPSTFP4...nDateDescending

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Doodarazumas posted:

I have heard this is one of those things where the diy ones are just as good, google around. I know there's at least an Alton Brown version that's just a box fan and cheap paper a/c filters.

Here's a video of the Alton Brown version:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5912487412723519389

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat

Doodarazumas posted:

All completely second-hand info though, I've never used a commercial or home-made one.

I use the diy method, though I use pizza screens instead of air filters. Works great! You can see the set up in the now closed jerky thread.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I think I eventually want copper pans, or hybrid copper / stainless ones, or something. just some really high end poo poo that will look pimp as hell hanging in my future dream kitchen. you know, like the stuff you put on your wedding registry.

I don't really know where to start though. I don't want to buy like, williams sonoma dumb copper poo poo because I'm sure it's overpriced and gimmicky and who knows if it's actually good, but I'm having a hard time finding any sort of reviews on anything else.

anyone have any suggestions?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I recall someone earlier in this thread saying that Mauviel (the most common brand) copper cookware's cast iron handles got hot and were badly balanced.

I think someone also mentioned All-Clad makes decent copper cookware, it has a copper layer embedded between steel and aluminum. IIRC, they said they couldn't notice much advantage over All-Clad's other aluminum/steel cookware but at least it doesn't suck. However, the only way you know it has copper inside is that it has a thin strip of exposed copper around the outside. If you're really in it just to show off that you have copper cookware then maybe this isn't for you.

edit: oh wait looks like they have another line of copper cookware now:
http://www.all-clad.com/collections/Cop.R.Chef/

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Nov 19, 2011

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

mindphlux posted:

I think I eventually want copper pans, or hybrid copper / stainless ones, or something. just some really high end poo poo that will look pimp as hell hanging in my future dream kitchen. you know, like the stuff you put on your wedding registry.

I don't really know where to start though. I don't want to buy like, williams sonoma dumb copper poo poo because I'm sure it's overpriced and gimmicky and who knows if it's actually good, but I'm having a hard time finding any sort of reviews on anything else.

anyone have any suggestions?
I have a couple All-Clad Copper-Core pieces. I use the 12" fry pan all the time and I like it a lot. Sturdy, heats up quick, doesn't have hot/cold spots, comfortable enough to handle, pretty fuckin' sexy.

I don't know if it's worth the normal asking price, though. I think I picked up all my All-Clad gear from amazon just by waiting for poo poo to be on sale.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Iron Lung posted:

Amazon didnt have any reviews for it, so maybe its a weird model or something. I want it mostly for making pizza crust, and pie dough, but I imagine it'll come in handy with making sauces and lots of other things.

Here is the woot link: http://home.woot.com/sale/oster-10-...tm_medium=email

and the (now correct) Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Oster-FPSTFP4600-Professional-Stainless-Steel-Processor/dp/B003Z9LGYW/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

To be honest, while the machine itself looks solidly made, the parts look a little cheap. The bowl, the blades, the chopper, the dough thing? All look like they cost 50¢ combined. If it's near on $100, spend the extra 50 and get something decent.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Steve Yun posted:

I recall someone earlier in this thread saying that Mauviel (the most common brand) copper cookware's cast iron handles got hot and were badly balanced.

I think someone also mentioned All-Clad makes decent copper cookware, it has a copper layer embedded between steel and aluminum. IIRC, they said they couldn't notice much advantage over All-Clad's other aluminum/steel cookware but at least it doesn't suck. However, the only way you know it has copper inside is that it has a thin strip of exposed copper around the outside. If you're really in it just to show off that you have copper cookware then maybe this isn't for you.

edit: oh wait looks like they have another line of copper cookware now:
http://www.all-clad.com/collections/Cop.R.Chef/

http://www.all-clad.com/collections/Cop.R.Chef/CareAndUse/

Really strange - on these all clad pans, under care and use, it says not to use steel wool on the pan? normally that's the sort of thing I ignore, but it's in all caps - any idea why that might be? I use steel wool on my current (cuisineart chef classic) stainless pans all the time. they're pretty ugly, but it gets the job done...

thanks for the suggestions though, I hadn't looked at all-clads stuff recently.

logical fallacy
Mar 16, 2001

Dynamic Symmetry
Just so you know, the copper on any of All-Clad's cookware is more for looks than performance. If you really want copper cookware, the brands you want are Falk, Matfer-Bourgeat, or Mauviel (not their newer line).

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

logical fallacy posted:

Just so you know, the copper on any of All-Clad's cookware is more for looks than performance. If you really want copper cookware, the brands you want are Falk, Matfer-Bourgeat, or Mauviel (not their newer line).

how do you know this, if you don't mind me asking? not so much because I doubt what you're saying, more just because I'm having a really hard time finding 'reputable' information about copper. I hadn't run across 'falk' yet at all, for instance.

and more strange information about 'best use' practices on the Mauviel 'heritage' line - "Never overheat an empty pan, this can lead to irreparable damage." and "
Always cook over low to medium heat."

wtf? always cook over low to medium heat? I don't understand - is this all just 'cover your rear end' poo poo they're putting on their sites? or is cooking with copper really different than cooking with stainless? I abuse the heck out of my stainless pans, and they've always been fine. still wondering about that above caution against using steel wool on the inside of the all clad pans.... :confused:

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I was going to go with All Clad Copper but due to cost I ended up going with the All Clad Stainless d5. They're 5 ply pans, so Steel / Aluminum / Steel / Aluminum / Steel.

Everything I read said they performed as well as the All-Clad Copper core.

Maybe when I have a nicer place I'll buy some Mauviel to hang on the wall but cooking in copper doesn't seem worth it for anything but looks.

edit: I bought the d5 due to the huge difference in cost. I couldn't find anything that made the cost difference seem worth it.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

mindphlux posted:

wtf? always cook over low to medium heat? I don't understand - is this all just 'cover your rear end' poo poo they're putting on their sites? or is cooking with copper really different than cooking with stainless? I abuse the heck out of my stainless pans, and they've always been fine. still wondering about that above caution against using steel wool on the inside of the all clad pans.... :confused:
To be fair, the whole point of using copper is that it conducts heat really well, meaning that using high heat would be redundant, and cause the pans to uglify, and quickly. The only person I know who has all copper cookware also has a maid to come in and clean it for her, and doesn't cook very frequently. She has copper pots and pans of all sizes, and gets mildly freaked out and busts out the barkeeper's friend for copper whenever something splashes, because that poo poo takes hours to polish properly. If you want poo poo with which to cook, use stainless steel and move on.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Conducting heat quickly doesn't mean you don't need high heat. The idea of the multi-clad pan is that steel is tough but doesn't conduct well. Because of this you get hot spots so what they do is put copper in the middle to spread the heat out and make the whole pan interior the same temperature.

If you're searing steaks or other items you'd still want that burner going full blast.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
The point is that copper looks like poo poo if it's used over high heat repeatedly. In other words, don't buy it.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Spend the money on a good stovetop/induction hob and buy relatively inexpensive pans in my opinion.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Out of curiosity, is there anything REALLY wrong with letting your copper cookware get stained? Like, if someone just wanted to let their cookware get "antique" naturally?

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Steve Yun posted:

Out of curiosity, is there anything REALLY wrong with letting your copper cookware get stained? Like, if someone just wanted to let their cookware get "antique" naturally?

I have a nice Bourgeat pan that I use regularly, and it looks it. I take a sponge with some baking soda to it, when I remember, but other than that I just keep it washed and dried. So far as I can tell its (excellent) performance hasn't suffered any.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Can someone recommend a can opener? Every one I come across is a piece of poo poo.

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

Josh Lyman posted:

Can someone recommend a can opener? Every one I come across is a piece of poo poo.
Swing-a-Way is my favourite. Just don't ever send it through the dishwasher. I hide my good can opener from my roommates, whose can opener is rusty as gently caress and can barely open anything.

http://www.amazon.com/Kotobuki-King-1000-K-80-Combo/dp/B00200L90I/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I'm thinking of getting a whetstone, this one in particular. I think I'd be most comfortable with a waterstone, I don't really want to deal with oil. I don't really know what constitutes good as far as stones go however, and the price range seems to be $4 to $150+, and each price level has gotten good reviews. I want a multi-grit stone. Any input would be well appreciated! :)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

feelz good man posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Kotobuki-King-1000-K-80-Combo/dp/B00200L90I/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I'm thinking of getting a whetstone, this one in particular. I think I'd be most comfortable with a waterstone, I don't really want to deal with oil. I don't really know what constitutes good as far as stones go however, and the price range seems to be $4 to $150+, and each price level has gotten good reviews. I want a multi-grit stone. Any input would be well appreciated! :)

I use a Victorinox 1000/3000 stone. You don't need to use oil on modern whetstones, I use it dry and it works perfectly well (http://sharpeningmadeeasy.com/Juranitch1977Feb.htm). I follow up by stropping on an old leather belt and giving the knife a quick run on a very fine steel every time I use them.

Get the angles right, say ~12 degrees total angle for the secondary edge and ~22 degrees for the primary edge, or even sharper if you've got good-quality steel to work with. You can do this easily by folding paper (180->90->45->22.5->12.25->6.125 etc.) and using that as a guide, remember to double up to get the total angle, a knife with a 45-degree edge ain't gonna do much good in the kitchen.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Nov 21, 2011

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Josh Lyman posted:

I have an OXO SteeL one and I like it.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

feelz good man posted:

Swing-a-Way is my favourite. Just don't ever send it through the dishwasher. I hide my good can opener from my roommates, whose can opener is rusty as gently caress and can barely open anything.

Seconding the swing away: http://www.amazon.com/Amco-Swing--407WH-Portable-Opener/dp/B0000505IZ/ref=sr_1_3?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1321882325&sr=1-3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Thirding the Swing-A-Way, my parents have been using one just like it for the nearly 30 years. Different brand, but 100% identical otherwise.

• Locked thread