Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

NGL posted:

If you push the camera forward while simultaneously zooming out, you get that effect. (I may have it backwards.)

You can do it backwards or forwards, so long as the zoom is counter to the dolly movement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Detective Thompson posted:

You can do it backwards or forwards, so long as the zoom is counter to the dolly movement.

I think that if you pull out and zoom in you have an effect where the background pulls in and it looks like the frame crushes. If you do it the other way the background suddenly pulls away like in Vertigo.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think that if you pull out and zoom in you have an effect where the background pulls in and it looks like the frame crushes. If you do it the other way the background suddenly pulls away like in Vertigo.

I think I heard that Hitchcock invented this, right? I've heard it referred to as a Hitchcock zoom and figured that was why.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I think I heard that Hitchcock invented this, right? I've heard it referred to as a Hitchcock zoom and figured that was why.

I'm not sure he "invented" it, but I'm fairly certain that Vertigo was the first big, dramatic use of it in a popular film.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Baron von Eevl posted:

I'm not sure he "invented" it, but I'm fairly certain that Vertigo was the first big, dramatic use of it in a popular film.

Quoting Wikipedia:

"The effect was first developed by Irmin Roberts, a Paramount second-unit cameraman, and was famously used by Alfred Hitchcock in his film Vertigo."

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

This is my favorite one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wwItkoapuA

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It's called a Dolly Zoom. Generally used to show a change in mental state:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svEPWBxpYjo

But sometimes for other uses (like making a hallway magically turn longer):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTuCTVJMdQA

edit: that Raging Bull one is fantastically well done

edit: some more examples:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Vm54QL8iZc

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 18, 2011

DocHorror
Mar 4, 2007

I am the Master, you will obey me...
My favourite contra zoom shot:
http://youtu.be/svEPWBxpYjo

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The most recent issue of Empire has a whole article on Last Action Hero. Pretty much everyone involved with the film dismisses it as terrible, a mistake and so on. I've only seen it twice, once when it came out, and the other last year. It's just terrible. Everything that they're taking from action movies of the time, and doing over the top goes off the top on a rocket powered motorcycle and just becomes silly.

Goons seem to love it though. The only thing I found enjoyable in the movie is Charles Dance, but even in terrible movies good actors can really make over the top villains enjoyable to watch.

It just perplexes me on how a movie that pretty much everyone else in the world had dismissed as a massive disaster and flop, is so beloved by many goons in CD.

The movie sticks in my mind so much because it was literally the first time I said to myself "what the gently caress is this poo poo?".

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Z9Ismh1elM

It's a parody man, it's supposed to be funny and over the top.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Z9Ismh1elM

It's a parody man, it's supposed to be funny and over the top.

The problem is they are not sure if it wants to be a satire or serious

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Who isn't sure, the movie or twistedmentat?

Actually there wasn't even a question in that post now that I reread it. I've always enjoyed the movie because I viewed it as a commentary on the action films that Arnold was making up to (and past) that point and as linked above sometimes it's just funny by itself.

Danny Devito as a talking animated detective cat who saves the day, what's not to love?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Who isn't sure, the movie or twistedmentat?

Actually there wasn't even a question in that post now that I reread it. I've always enjoyed the movie because I viewed it as a commentary on the action films that Arnold was making up to (and past) that point and as linked above sometimes it's just funny by itself.

Danny Devito as a talking animated detective cat who saves the day, what's not to love?

I was trying to ask, why does everyone, including the cast and crew, think its a terrible movie, but goons love it? I was trying to figure out why there was such a divide between CD and pretty much the rest of the world. I guess that would fit the definition of "cult film".

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

I was trying to ask, why does everyone, including the cast and crew, think its a terrible movie, but goons love it? I was trying to figure out why there was such a divide between CD and pretty much the rest of the world. I guess that would fit the definition of "cult film".

I don't think goons as a collective do love it, it's probably a case of the ones who do are pretty vocal about it. I like it, but I tend to be favourable towards film that have me asking myself how they hell they managed to be made.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

twistedmentat posted:

Distancing themselves from what was a huge financial disaster probably has something to do with it.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

DocHorror posted:

My favourite contra zoom shot:
http://youtu.be/svEPWBxpYjo

My favorite's the one from Goodfellas, cause it takes a long time rather than being real quick. Perfectly gets the "slowly dawning on you" feeling right down pat.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

twistedmentat posted:

They all hate it because it was a huge flop and they don't want to be associated with a flop and a movie that is universally not popular.

That said, its pretty funny but very groany. I wouldn't say I 'love' it but its not nearly as bad as its reputation.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

FishBulb posted:

They all hate it because it was a huge flop and they don't want to be associated with a flop and a movie that is universally not popular.

That said, its pretty funny but very groany. I wouldn't say I 'love' it but its not nearly as bad as its reputation.

I didn't think of that. And you're right, its bad, but not Ecks vs Sever or a ____ Movie, and as you said, more of a groaner. Everytime something crazy over the top happens, I felt like McTieran should pop up on screen and wink.

Speaking of Arnie movies and things we remember from films, I remember watching Conan the Barbarian with the commentary on a dvd i borrowed from a friend and hearing Arnold go "I get laid a lot in this movie", but on the version I have, I cannot find that quote. Did i imagine it or is there versions with that edited out?

Is there a proper name for the "silent hill effect", that herky jerky movement that I assume is done by removing inbetween frames which makes the motion so creepy.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

twistedmentat posted:

Is there a proper name for the "silent hill effect", that herky jerky movement that I assume is done by removing inbetween frames which makes the motion so creepy.
With an conventional motion picture camera, I assume what you're talking about is usually done by just adjusting the shutter angle to reduce the exposure time, and reduce motion blur as a result. This is not quite the same effect you'd get from just dropping every other frame (for example) and doubling the remaining frames (to maintain a constant frame rate), as the frames you are showing would have normal motion blur, and therefore lack the sort of hyperrealistic feel that you get when you change the shutter angle.

If you think of the distinctive look of, for example, the explosions on the beach in Saving Private Ryan (1998), they were achieved by using a 45 degree shutter angle, as well as using a slightly out of phase shutter in some scenes (so the frame is moving for part of the exposure, which produces the sort of vertical blur you see in some sequences), as well as a lot of postprocessing for colour and so on.

It wouldn't surprise me if there's some completely different gimmick done to accomplish the same thing on digital cameras, but gently caress if I know anything about them.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

SubG posted:

With an conventional motion picture camera, I assume what you're talking about is usually done by just adjusting the shutter angle to reduce the exposure time, and reduce motion blur as a result. This is not quite the same effect you'd get from just dropping every other frame (for example) and doubling the remaining frames (to maintain a constant frame rate), as the frames you are showing would have normal motion blur, and therefore lack the sort of hyperrealistic feel that you get when you change the shutter angle.

I think he's talking about the effect when someone is seen to be vibrating and spasming at inhuman speed, like the guy at 1:45 in this video.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
In Jacob's Ladder, it was simply a case of shooting the people that do the head shake at a lower FPS (apparently 4 FPS for the film), which resulted in the fast shaking at 24 FPS. Of course, for the SH games, it's all programming. In a more modern film, were it to be done again, I'd guess it'd either be done the same low FPS way, or with CGI, or maybe a mix of both. As for a name, it's really just fast motion. Or I suppose you could call it the Jacob's Ladder Palsy.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Detective Thompson posted:

In Jacob's Ladder, it was simply a case of shooting the people that do the head shake at a lower FPS (apparently 4 FPS for the film), which resulted in the fast shaking at 24 FPS. Of course, for the SH games, it's all programming. In a more modern film, were it to be done again, I'd guess it'd either be done the same low FPS way, or with CGI, or maybe a mix of both. As for a name, it's really just fast motion. Or I suppose you could call it the Jacob's Ladder Palsy.
Ah. If that's what twistedmentat was asking about, the term of art is `undercranking'; shooting at a lower frame rate than the film will be projected at. In Jacob's Ladder (1990) I think that's all that's going on. I've also seen it used in conjunction with a longer shutter speed to get more motion blur.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Doesn't the House On Haunted Hill remake use the same technique? Also, if I recall, with nurses.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

SubG posted:

Ah. If that's what twistedmentat was asking about, the term of art is `undercranking'; shooting at a lower frame rate than the film will be projected at. In Jacob's Ladder (1990) I think that's all that's going on. I've also seen it used in conjunction with a longer shutter speed to get more motion blur.

Yea, that's what I was wondering. I should have remembered Jacob's Ladder was one of the first things to use it.

But that's cool about the Saving Private Ryan thing, I figured it was just some kind of filter.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

Speaking of Arnie movies and things we remember from films, I remember watching Conan the Barbarian with the commentary on a dvd i borrowed from a friend and hearing Arnold go "I get laid a lot in this movie", but on the version I have, I cannot find that quote. Did i imagine it or is there versions with that edited out?

It's from the commentary that he did with John Milius on the Conan the Barbarian DVD. It's hilarious with the way Arnold and John sounds so lecherous when they talking about the women. It's also clear that Arnold was really enjoying himself reminiscing on the film. I personally love commentaries like this. Check out the one that Arnold did with Paul Verhoeven for Total Recall as well. Kurt Russell and John Carpenter did some great ones too, just less sex talk.

Anyways, here's the clips you are looking for:

Arnold Schwarzenegger and John Milius on Conan The Barbarian

Mr_Zombie
Mar 27, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

The most recent issue of Empire has a whole article on Last Action Hero. Pretty much everyone involved with the film dismisses it as terrible, a mistake and so on. I've only seen it twice, once when it came out, and the other last year. It's just terrible. Everything that they're taking from action movies of the time, and doing over the top goes off the top on a rocket powered motorcycle and just becomes silly.

Goons seem to love it though. The only thing I found enjoyable in the movie is Charles Dance, but even in terrible movies good actors can really make over the top villains enjoyable to watch.

It just perplexes me on how a movie that pretty much everyone else in the world had dismissed as a massive disaster and flop, is so beloved by many goons in CD.

The movie sticks in my mind so much because it was literally the first time I said to myself "what the gently caress is this poo poo?".

Huh, I read that same article and was surprised they didn't seem to approach it from the angle of it being an interesting failure. If I'm remembering it right they even talk about how the villain coming to the real world and being faced with withered hookers didn't jibe with the light hearted approach they took earlier. I always thought that was the point and it worked well in the context of the movie. Sure, it's a little bit smug, but it's a popcorn movie ripping the piss out of popcorn movies. In the 90's.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Should I go see J. Edgar? I love historical pieces and dramas.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
The Who Greenlighted This poo poo talk about Ender's Game made me think it would be awesome if the movie movie was made in such a way as to subvert the original themes of the book. I know Starship Troopers and Beyond the Valley of the Dolls could be said to do this to some extent, but are there other movies that intentionally subvert their source material?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Skwirl posted:

The Who Greenlighted This poo poo talk about Ender's Game made me think it would be awesome if the movie movie was made in such a way as to subvert the original themes of the book. I know Starship Troopers and Beyond the Valley of the Dolls could be said to do this to some extent, but are there other movies that intentionally subvert their source material?
Does something like Clooney's Confessions of a Dangerous Mind (2002) count? It treats the source material---Chuck Barris' autobiography in which he claims to have been a CIA assassin---with complete deadpan seriousness, but comes off on the whole as a broad, somewhat dark, farce.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

A Clockwork Orange is sort of along those lines - Kubrick deliberately left out the novel's ending to make it a much darker story.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

penismightier posted:

A Clockwork Orange is sort of along those lines - Kubrick deliberately left out the novel's ending to make it a much darker story.
I thought it was because he based the film on the US novel that omitted the final chapter.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

WebDog posted:

I thought it was because he based the film on the US novel that omitted the final chapter.

As thorough as he was, it's hard to believe he didn't know there was a longer ending.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

WebDog posted:

I think it's a bit of both. He wanted to make the movie after reading the US version (and liking the ending), then when he sought the rights to make it a film, he learned of the last chapter, which he then read and subsequently ignored.

I may, of course, be mistaken.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SubG posted:

Does something like Clooney's Confessions of a Dangerous Mind (2002) count? It treats the source material---Chuck Barris' autobiography in which he claims to have been a CIA assassin---with complete deadpan seriousness, but comes off on the whole as a broad, somewhat dark, farce.

I haven't read the book, but I always assumed it was itself a bit of a farce.

Smiley!
Dec 7, 2009

The Picard Maneuver
After recently watching It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World and Gandhi, I'm curious- what was the last/most recent movie released to have an intermission?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Smiley! posted:

After recently watching It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World and Gandhi, I'm curious- what was the last/most recent movie released to have an intermission?

Probably Che. I don't know if that went wide, though, so... Gettysburg?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Skwirl posted:

The Godfather arguably does. The authorial intent of the book wasn't to exalt the mob, but to indict it. The decision to cut a few very important scenes resulted in the family coming across a lot more sympathetically than in the novel. The big one is why Luca Brasi is loyal to the don. Luca Brasi got a prostitute pregnant, she gave birth, he killed her, and he forced a maid to throw the baby into the incinerator. He's loyal to the Don because he covered it up. Now, most of the cuts from the book to the movie are very justified; the subplot revolving around Sonny's massive cock was rightfully excised.

quote:

A Bollywood movie. When I saw My Name Is Khan in theaters, it was cut for an intermission complete with a big Intermission titlecard, but the theater didn't actually give us one. Many Bollywood movies have one because they have three hour+ run times. Traditionally, the second half is much darker and more serious than the first half.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Skwirl posted:

I haven't read the book, but I always assumed it was itself a bit of a farce.
Not intentionally; I'm pretty sure Barris is serious, just loopy.

Smiley! posted:

Grindhouse (2007), if it counts as a single film. Gods and Generals (2003) is the next most recent film I can think of.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Smiley! posted:

Born on the Fourth of July & Dances with Wolves used them if I remember right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

penismightier posted:

As thorough as he was, it's hard to believe he didn't know there was a longer ending.

He was halfway through the screenplay when he found out. It's not so hard to believe is it? I mean, given that these were the days before the instant information output we all take for granted.