Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
Those pumpkins are loving adorable, I wish I had more than $50 to my name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chellesandcheese
Jul 12, 2005

Results from my search ad campaign for a week are: 3935 impressions, 24 views, 6 favorites, no sales. Not horrible but I'm not sure it's worth it.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

madlilnerd posted:

I am so so tempted to get one of the place name necklaces with "Slough" on it, just because my town is so lovely.

I know by the end of the day I will have bought something from you... but what?

edit: ah poo poo, I missed the coupon thing. Bollocks.

I picked up a necklace but am likely to get a silly custom one sometime soon as well. Because they're neato.

zoecore
Dec 23, 2003

madlilnerd posted:

I am so so tempted to get one of the place name necklaces with "Slough" on it, just because my town is so lovely.

I know by the end of the day I will have bought something from you... but what?

edit: ah poo poo, I missed the coupon thing. Bollocks.

I just refunded you the coupon since you only just missed it.

Slough would be an awesome necklace. I thought an Essex necklace would be funny, since ironic Essex-love all the rage at the moment (Essex is to London what New Jersey is to NYC for US goons). But I teach in Essex, so I thought I'd be running a risk of my students finding me online if I sold such a thing. The chances are slim, but you never know. And I don't want a bunch of 15/16 year olds knowing too much about me.

GRINK HELCH
Oct 24, 2004
My God, it's taking over america!
Search ads didn't work for me, but I could see it work great if you sell t-shirts or other popular items like jewelry

impressions: 5,956 - views: 46 - favorites: 2 - sales: 0

For the entirety of my ad campaign - no sales. Once it was over, I had 7 sales. No idea what this means, it could be possible that the campaign did work.

Yesterday's sale brought to a grand total of 75 sales. Not bad for 4 months.

altazakin
Aug 2, 2004

So you're not that special. Welcome to the human race!
75 sales is great for 4 months!

I got curious about the search ads so I'm running it now.

stats:
Spent $3.50 USD
Impressions 5,461
Views 30
Favorites 1
Orders 0
Revenue $0.00 USD

So yeah, blah. Been up since Oct 24 I think.

Lealoo
Nov 29, 2005

I sold one item when I did the etsy ads, and got a few favorites, but I think that one sale was kind of a fluke and I doubt I'll run them again.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Let me support an Etsy goon. I'm thinking about having a mask of a death head moth.

Anyone here make things similar to this? Leather would be nice, felt less so.

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

I'm a little cat in a pretty hat!
A wee bit late to the game I think, but I'd like to pitch in on the banner this year if it's still possible. Just tell me what I gotta do.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Argh! Sorry about dropping the ball on the banner guys. :saddowns: I cracked my tooth and I've spent most of the week either in pain or in a vicodin induced daze. SO LET'S GET THIS PARTY STARTED!

I started the thread! CLICK HERE!

Wandering Knitter fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 31, 2011

Kruxy
May 19, 2004

Just a steel town girl on
a Saturday night, looking
for the fight of her life

Does anyone have any suggestions on shop policies and what not? I have no idea what to put there.

Sonata
Jan 29, 2004

Returns, repairs, shipping, wait times, what types of payment you accept, wholesale prices and/or whether or not you can do wholesale... that's all I can think of.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
Last Call for the SA-Mart Etsy Thread!

And we still need a good name for the SA-Mart thread too.

zoecore
Dec 23, 2003

We're actually starting to design some new stuff... It's been awhile. I've been trying to design some new jewellery racks that use less material. Our current flat pack ones use a lot.

Here's one design we made this week made for hanging earrings. I needs a lot of work - the corners on the triangles are super sharp at the moment. So I need to make them slightly curved at the ends. I was also thinking of adding some holes for stud earrings. It's inspired by the 80s and the triangle artist on Seinfeld.

We make a lot of prototypes that don't always work out completely. Any suggestions what to do with these? I don't like just throwing them away.

zoecore fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Nov 6, 2011

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

zoecore posted:

We make a lot of prototypes that don't always work out completely. Any suggestions what to do with these? I don't like just throwing them away.

Sell them at a discount playing up how unique they are.

BTW, I still want you to design a Horace ring :colbert:
I will use it to propose to Horace's owner on Leap Day and trick him into marrying me (the dude has a chameleon, owns a house at the seaside, and smokes a pipe)

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

madlilnerd posted:

Sell them at a discount playing up how unique they are.

Agreed. Include images if you cutting up tomatoes with the piece.

altazakin
Aug 2, 2004

Does anyone make play food? Particularly wooden, but felt is OK too :) Or any kind of play kitchen stuff.

SassySally
Dec 11, 2010

altazakin posted:

Does anyone make play food? Particularly wooden, but felt is OK too :) Or any kind of play kitchen stuff.

I have a few crochet food items. I have a whole cornucopia full at http://www.etsy.com/listing/83581302/thanksgiving-cornucopia-horn-of-plenty and my store also has a couple of other stand-alones. (Don't forget to use GOONYGOON to get 20% off if you like them.)

altazakin
Aug 2, 2004

I love them! Especially the pumpkin. My dog is eating any crochet items right now :( He's doing a number on my kid's baby blankets. Once he's out of the puppy phase we'll see if he breaks that bad habit!

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Kruxy posted:

I just started a shop a few days ago. That's not true actually. I started a store back in 2006 around the same time I had a concurrent thread running in SA Mart - then life got too busy and custom orders took too long and I just wasn't making the sales at Etsy that I saw others doing. So I closed up shop.

But now it's 2011, and I'm trying again. With a new store, since having a store that's 5 years old with only 4 sales doesn't instill buyer confidence.

So check out my new digs: http://www.etsy.com/shop/micheldevon

I *finally* picked up that Lilith wallet! :iamafag: Still interested in a sugar skull one for my BFF if you find a way to expand your vinyl selection.

animeluva1
Aug 9, 2003

Hopefully I'll have that
problem someday.
I saw the banner ad and things are working real nice. I'm late on the SA Mart thread but I'll use the Goonygoon coupon to keep the spirit of Goonmas alive. Code GOONYGOONS will give you free shipping within the U.S.

I started noticing more requests for custom orders coming in. They see what I sell and many new Etsy buyers are brace enough to contact me and ask for custom work. It feels awesome really. Here's the latest one I'm working on:

Kruxy
May 19, 2004

Just a steel town girl on
a Saturday night, looking
for the fight of her life

13Pandora13 posted:

I *finally* picked up that Lilith wallet! :iamafag: Still interested in a sugar skull one for my BFF if you find a way to expand your vinyl selection.

And it has shipped out!

I'll keep you updated on sugar skulls, etc. I've got some art mockups started, but right now I'm trying to find a supplier/manufacturer who can do yards of custom printed oilcloth.

That would be the ideal situation. A thinner more durable wallet with artwork that's already water proof.

GRINK HELCH
Oct 24, 2004
My God, it's taking over america!
Doing a giveaway on my blog -

would love some entries :)

http://retrostationstore.blogspot.com/

zoecore
Dec 23, 2003

GRINK HELCH posted:

Doing a giveaway on my blog -

would love some entries :)

http://retrostationstore.blogspot.com/

I was going to... But it's not open to those on the other side of the Atlantic.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Just got my necklace from Weaselfactory (Zoecore!) and it OWNS.
And the packaging is totally kickass/adorable and the extra pins you sent me are also incredibly rad! The brontosaurus is the coolest dino, y'all are psychic.

the escape goat fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Nov 13, 2011

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Bewildrbeast posted:

Just got my necklace from Weaselfactory (Zoecore!) and it OWNS.
And the packaging is totally kickass/adorable.

I left feedback on Etsy, but I'll shout out here too. Got my order of a custom name necklace and honeycomb leaf earrings on Friday. The service is amazing (lots of emailing back and forth to make sure you get exactly what you want), having a personalised name necklace rocks and the earrings feel so strong but are not heavy at all, they are the most comfortable large earrings I have ever owned.

I actually would have preferred a little less packaging, but the care and attention put into the package makes you feel like you're getting a present from a dear friend.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I am suddenly very discouraged. I know it's hard to run a business on Etsy and compete with resellers, but ugh. I just read a thread in Business Topics by someone who spent $150 on junk from a known reseller, just because. They then tried to justify it by saying something like "I used to report their shop but Etsy never did anything so it must be okay LOL". Seriously, every other word was "lol" and I wanted to tear my hair out. She spent more in one transaction on cheap poo poo from China than I've made in the last couple months on actual handmade goods.. :eng99:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Mizufusion posted:

I am suddenly very discouraged. I know it's hard to run a business on Etsy and compete with resellers, but ugh. I just read a thread in Business Topics by someone who spent $150 on junk from a known reseller, just because. They then tried to justify it by saying something like "I used to report their shop but Etsy never did anything so it must be okay LOL". Seriously, every other word was "lol" and I wanted to tear my hair out. She spent more in one transaction on cheap poo poo from China than I've made in the last couple months on actual handmade goods.. :eng99:

Welcome to Etsy. :smithicide:

It all comes down to the pictures. People will spend way, way more money on items with professional looking pictures. And who has the most professional pictures? Resellers.

I've accepted the fact that etsy will never be a main source of income for me unless I shell out for a $500+ camera. And a professional lighting studio.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Wandering Knitter posted:

Welcome to Etsy. :smithicide:

Oh, I know. It's just that she had the nerve to tell everyone "I know this is wrong and I did it anyway", then tried to blame her mistake on Etsy for not removing the items so she couldn't buy them.

It did get kind of entertaining though, when people told her she was wrong and she started threatening everyone. A bunch of people got abusive convos from her, and she was telling everyone she'd say mean things about us in her blog. Like that's gonna hurt my sales any more than competing with the rear end in a top hat she just bought from.

She eventually decided to flounce, so good riddance, and an admin closed the thread after 26 pages of :psypop:

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

What's a reseller? Someone who copies other's work, or...?

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.

Bewildrbeast posted:

What's a reseller? Someone who copies other's work, or...?

Somebody that sells (typically ) Chinese made goods and passes them off as handmade. They usually take the same stock photos from wherever they bought it from and sometimes do very little to even make it sound handmade. They're often easy to spot. Because they have a large number of sales of an item that shouldn't be that easy to reproduce.

zoecore
Dec 23, 2003

madlilnerd posted:

I left feedback on Etsy, but I'll shout out here too. Got my order of a custom name necklace and honeycomb leaf earrings on Friday. The service is amazing (lots of emailing back and forth to make sure you get exactly what you want), having a personalised name necklace rocks and the earrings feel so strong but are not heavy at all, they are the most comfortable large earrings I have ever owned.

I actually would have preferred a little less packaging, but the care and attention put into the package makes you feel like you're getting a present from a dear friend.

We've got some lovely feedback from goons recently.. Thank you to everyone for both the orders and kind words. We really appreciate it!

We do our packaging Japanese style.. They take their packaging very seriously and you have to wait forever in a line when purchasing something there. You get your item wrapped, then in a decorative paper or plastic bag with a sticker, then in the shop bag. Most of the stuff I've bought in Japan is not as nice as the package it came in. I quite like doing it... It's a bit therapeutic for me.

However, if you ever purchase from us again, let us know if you don't want all of the packaging.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Kruxy posted:

And it has shipped out!

I'll keep you updated on sugar skulls, etc. I've got some art mockups started, but right now I'm trying to find a supplier/manufacturer who can do yards of custom printed oilcloth.

That would be the ideal situation. A thinner more durable wallet with artwork that's already water proof.

I LOVE my wallet and the bonus earrings! I'll add a photo to my Etsy feedback at some point in the near future. :neckbeard:

altazakin
Aug 2, 2004

quote:

it smelled so good i ate off my own lips :'( ... they were delicious

I had a chuckle today. I can always tell when a goon is leaving feedback :)

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

zoecore posted:

We do our packaging Japanese style.. They take their packaging very seriously and you have to wait forever in a line when purchasing something there. You get your item wrapped, then in a decorative paper or plastic bag with a sticker, then in the shop bag. Most of the stuff I've bought in Japan is not as nice as the package it came in. I quite like doing it... It's a bit therapeutic for me.

However, if you ever purchase from us again, let us know if you don't want all of the packaging.

Ha, I know. I got so much shopping flotsam and jetsam from 5 days in Tokyo! And it's so tempting to hold onto it because it's different and interesting. But I don't like having to throw stuff away, especially when it's pretty stuff so next time I'll opt out. Your weasel stickers are awesome though, and I loved the wooden/mdf box!

I will almost definitely be buying for you again, I have an idea for a design for an initial necklace in wood for a friend which I think you could do with your manufacturing process. I just need to do my budgeting and work out how much money I will have until my next student loan payment as right now it's costing me £19 a day for train fare :byodood:

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001
Totally forgot about this thread. I took a break from Etsy for awhile, but I'm back now. I have 2 shops:

http://rathina.etsy.com - Goon discount 20% with coupon code sagoons

http://cushycover.etsy.com

Wolfgang Müller
Sep 11, 2001

Visit the South! , where the beer is warm, the women are cold, and the sheep are nervous.
I set a shop up a few weeks ago, and would like some critiquing. I make (weld) picture frames,
which is not really ideal for Etsy, but I'm giving it a shot.

My shop is: http://www.etsy.com/shop/WolfgangMuller

First time selling online, so I need to setup some policies, coupons, etc.
Shipping is the main problem, since the frames are expensive no matter the carrier. I would like to do a goon discount since I think my choice in movie posters are similar to people here.

Comrade Quack
Jun 6, 2006
Witty closing remarks have been replaced by massive head trauma and general stupidity.

Wolfgang Müller posted:

I set a shop up a few weeks ago, and would like some critiquing. I make (weld) picture frames,
which is not really ideal for Etsy, but I'm giving it a shot.

My shop is: http://www.etsy.com/shop/WolfgangMuller

First time selling online, so I need to setup some policies, coupons, etc.
Shipping is the main problem, since the frames are expensive no matter the carrier. I would like to do a goon discount since I think my choice in movie posters are similar to people here.

It seems like you've already figured out the barnwood background. Aside from :ohdear: my first thought is that you might want to go into a bit more detail about the chainsaw frame in regards to the sharpness of the edges. Will you need to wear heavy gloves to put it up and take it down? Should you worry about cutting yourself if you touch it? It might also be good to give a weight estimate to help people get an idea about what they might need to do to actually hang it.

Wolfgang Müller
Sep 11, 2001

Visit the South! , where the beer is warm, the women are cold, and the sheep are nervous.

Comrade Quack posted:

It seems like you've already figured out the barnwood background. Aside from :ohdear: my first thought is that you might want to go into a bit more detail about the chainsaw frame in regards to the sharpness of the edges. Will you need to wear heavy gloves to put it up and take it down? Should you worry about cutting yourself if you touch it? It might also be good to give a weight estimate to help people get an idea about what they might need to do to actually hang it.

I had not thought about the sharpness factor for someone looking at a picture and not actually touching it in person. The chain is used, and is not very sharp at all. You can handle it with no gloves and hang it easily with a "monkey hook", which I was going to include with the purchase. I'm glad you brought this up, because I had not mentioned this in any of my listings.

I'm glad you noticed the woodsy theme I was going for. I'm not the best at pictures, and don't have the best camera either. Thanks for looking at my stuff and the comments btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clockwork Cupcake
Oct 31, 2010

I haven't had any real sales in the last few months - it's all been people using gift codes from a Heartsy deal I tried. I forget if I've asked here before, but would some of you mind looking over my prices?

http://www.etsy.com/shop/petitePastries

The most expensive things I've sold were $22 cake slice earrings. I realize it's probably just a lull in sales since I haven't had time to make new stuff in a while (hopefully I'll be fixing that soon), but now I'm just worried that it's too expensive. :ohdear:

Actually, while I'm at it, does anyone have suggestions for stuff I might make? I have some ideas and I'm hoping to work on my stock over Thanksgiving break but I'm always curious to see if people ideas match up with mine. (Definitely going to be trying cupcakes, just for the record.)