Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subbz
Nov 4, 2008

That Which Squeaks posted:

Grand Finals from the Super Arcade tournament is definitely a must see, about 1:12:00 http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive/b/300454344

Holy poo poo, the second match of the bracket reset. What the christ? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Dren posted:

Nice I didn't know Nova Strike L addf j.H was a thing. It looked like there ought to be a way to continue after a Nova Strike L in the air I just hadn't found it.

Do you know if j.M j.M j.H NS L addf j.H xx fly j.M j.H j.S works at superjump height? You might even be able to get greedy and do a second NS L addf j.H since you might still be in flight, giving you a second airdash. I've been doing j.M j.M j.H xx fly j.M j.H NS M j.S but it's midscreen only.

It's not, that's a typo, the first nova strike should be nova strike M. I was super tired.

There are ways to follow up air nova strike L at midscreen, but they are pretty character specific.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Ryan Hunter talks about pushblock - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SleUR_PG18I

Interesting comments start around 5:30

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Lothire posted:

Braved the online world outside the danger room for the first time today. Unfortunately, I'm still as mentally unstable and unbelievably salty as I was when playing vanilla. Really takes a lot out of me. Looking to air out my experience (Playstation Network).

I find Maximilian's preview fairly well accurate. I don't suffer from dropped inputs on simple combos anymore (sadly I'm still unable to perform anything more advanced than a magic series because I'm bad at this game). However, I feel the overall delay in input has increased since vanilla. Perhaps it's just me and the lobbies I was in, but it took a great deal of mental adjustment every match just to get into any sort of flow.

Speaking of matches, I lost a bunch. 3/11 in fact. Looks like a lot of people are going back to the big guys again so input delay becomes less a problem (hulk, nemesis, sentinel). Could just be new players grabbing the easy guys, could also be top rank players stat padding off us scrubs. I wouldn't know, since all the ranks were resent. Either way, it's a bit frustrating. Still, gotta learn to deal with these guys eventually - even if you aren't allowed to punish some things that local play wouldn't be a problem. My biggest gripe is not being able to grab dudes out of the air well because of how fickle that can be.

Despite all that, I had fun. While trying to cool off my anxiety between matches, watching others play just as badly (sometimes worse, amazingly enough) than me is refreshing. Watching tournament players on streams tends to cause me to forget most people aren't playing on that level. It'd be nice if we had a goon lobby of some sort so that I could get feedback on what I'm doing wrong. You know, outside the obvious combo dropping and frantic button mashing.

You sound a lot like me. I'd love to play you but I'm on xbox.

I just kept playing online. Ignore the record. Play everyone you can. Don't worry about combos, don't worry about losing. Just learn to block and get in. Gotta beat that anxiety. I can spend all day off line and do sweet Morrigan jump loops or fly combos, or recently I learned Doom's BuK loop (which he really doesn't need anymore) but as soon as I play a human it goes to poo poo. None of that matters if you can't learn to get in and start the combo.

Once you do it enough you can get past that anxiety a bit and then start pulling out the combos and setups you practiced.

Also, for anyone interested, I went back to SSF4 for a awhile and learning to do combos in that game really helped me in Marvel. Having to be so precise with the inputs and timing in that game really prepared me for Marvel.

So Wolverine: I didn't think SWISS CHEESE would be an issue. I don't mash out my combos or c.Ls, but then it started effecting me in places I didn't think it would. At the start of a match when trying to throw, and most importantly going for the slide to OTG after a throw or flying screen. Gotta adjust to that, but it's hard because it's not like Skrull or Chun where they always had that limitation.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Schmendrick posted:

I...don't know anyone from Killer 7.

It's alright, there's basically only one good character in it anyway.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

flatluigi posted:

I assume you're talking about Mask De Smith because otherwise I have no idea.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser

flatluigi posted:

I choose to interpret this as "clever" instead of "wrong"

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Ran into Viscant playing Ghost Rider/Strider/Hawkeye on ranked earlier. Have never played against GR before. I let myself get excited when I saw his gamertag, was starstruck, choked bigtime and lost :(

Any anti-Ghost Rider strategies if your team doesn't have any teleports?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sade posted:

Wavedash to try to get inside j.S range. Be patient so you don't go charging into a ground combo. If you have a horizontal air projectile (firebrand, arthur, dante, some others) you can throw it out and then take to the skies to get in. Overall just don't do stupid poo poo, ghost rider thrives on your impatience.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!
Speaking of salty online play, how is it that everyone I've played online is 100000 times better than me? I'm okay at SSF4 but this game... I can't block. I can't do my combos. I can't do poo poo. Are there any good videos that can show me what the gently caress I'm doing wrong as far as combos are concerned? I need to see the hands/arcade stick. It seems like I'm just hammering on buttons and sometimes the combos work and sometimes they fail.

I'm trying to play a Deadpool, Frank West, and Doom team. Not that teams matter when I feel so completely outclassed.

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

Sade posted:

Ran into Viscant playing Ghost Rider/Strider/Hawkeye on ranked earlier. Have never played against GR before. I let myself get excited when I saw his gamertag, was starstruck, choked bigtime and lost :(

Keep in mind that none of GR's moves go all the way full screen, so he wants to keep you at a very specific range. Any teleport character can just back out that range and then teleport behind him.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Jmcrofts posted:

I assume you're talking about Mask De Smith because otherwise I have no idea.

He's talking about him, and a bunch others.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Crayvex posted:

Speaking of salty online play, how is it that everyone I've played online is 100000 times better than me? I'm okay at SSF4 but this game... I can't block. I can't do my combos. I can't do poo poo. Are there any good videos that can show me what the gently caress I'm doing wrong as far as combos are concerned? I need to see the hands/arcade stick. It seems like I'm just hammering on buttons and sometimes the combos work and sometimes they fail.

I'm trying to play a Deadpool, Frank West, and Doom team. Not that teams matter when I feel so completely outclassed.

You might want to swap Frank out for someone else until you get a bit more comfortable...he requires a bit of work to level up, but then he's amazing.

Team Phoenix/Phoenix/Frank - "No, screw you, *I* get the meter!"

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Honest Thief posted:

He's talking about him, and a bunch others.

I just want a character that can headbutt Wesker's gunshot, stopping it in midair.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
All this talk about anti-GR techniques makes me wonder: What can GR actually do against super jumpers?

Disclaimer: I don't have the game (yet)

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Crayvex posted:

Speaking of salty online play, how is it that everyone I've played online is 100000 times better than me?

They probably were good at MvC3.

quote:

I'm okay at SSF4 but this game... I can't block.

This is a huge difference between SF4 and MvC3. This is probably the biggest thing.

Notice in pro matches that people cheer wildly when someone successfully blocks for more than 3-4 seconds? That's because blocking (for very long) is difficult to impossible against a good player. In general, if you are blocking any of these sick rushdown characters backed up by an assist you are just being temporarily lucky.

You have other tools to play defensively- spamming, mobility, huge space controlling moves, etc.

There are some characters who can block and then counterattack like SF4, but they are rare. And if the guy is backed up by the right assist, you still can't.

quote:

I can't do my combos.

You need to practice them repeatedly, and then start trying them against other people. You won't land them at first because you will be freaking out and trying to figure out what is going on.

quote:

Are there any good videos that can show me what the gently caress I'm doing wrong as far as combos are concerned? I need to see the hands/arcade stick. It seems like I'm just hammering on buttons and sometimes the combos work and sometimes they fail.

For the most part, you can do the combos slower than you think. If you are going by the BnBs in the strategy guide, some of them have precise timing. Don't be afraid to simplify them into something you can do reliably.

quote:

You might wanna try some characters that are easier to play at first. If your heart is set on those guys, that is fine, but it helps to play some guys who are a little more boring/straightforward to get a feel for the game. Wesker, Nemesis, Hulk, etc.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

40 OZ posted:

They probably were good at MvC3.

This is a huge difference between SF4 and MvC3. This is probably the biggest thing.

Notice in pro matches that people cheer wildly when someone successfully blocks for more than 3-4 seconds? That's because blocking (for very long) is difficult to impossible against a good player. In general, if you are blocking any of these sick rushdown characters backed up by an assist you are just being temporarily lucky.

You have other tools to play defensively- spamming, mobility, huge space controlling moves, etc.

There are some characters who can block and then counterattack like SF4, but they are rare. And if the guy is backed up by the right assist, you still can't.

You need to practice them repeatedly, and then start trying them against other people. You won't land them at first because you will be freaking out and trying to figure out what is going on.

For the most part, you can do the combos slower than you think. If you are going by the BnBs in the strategy guide, some of them have precise timing. Don't be afraid to simplify them into something you can do reliably.

You might wanna try some characters that are easier to play at first. If your heart is set on those guys, that is fine, but it helps to play some guys who are a little more boring/straightforward to get a feel for the game. Wesker, Nemesis, Hulk, etc.

Thanks for this. What is a good beginners team?

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Okay, I'm probably pretty slow on this, but I just noticed for something for Nick, doing Order in the Court actually destroys any bad evidence you have. Combined with the fact that it automatically puts you in Investigation mode that's pretty cool actually.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I would totally follow a series about the Heroes for Hire in Iron Fist's ending.

Captain Corduroy
Mar 31, 2007

We find the source of the problem, and we throw dragons at it.

Crayvex posted:

You can't go wrong with Ryu or Akuma to start with. Hulk is great for beginners too (high damage, high health, some super armor).

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Crayvex posted:

Pick whoever you want really, but if you don't want to work super hard avoid Viper, Arthur, Phoenix Wright, and Jill. As long as you pick characters you have fun with and you have at least one good assist, you should be able to pick up the basics.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Crayvex posted:

Wesker and Nemesis are my suggestions.

They have good combos that are really easy and they play in a very basic manner. You can learn 'em in like 10 minutes.

For comparison, I spent like 1.5 hours on captain america's BNB last night and i still can't do it reliably.

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

All this talk about anti-GR techniques makes me wonder: What can GR actually do against super jumpers?

Disclaimer: I don't have the game (yet)

He has a few things, but nothing he has is really going to make them regret super jumping.

His S has a pretty high up hit box. Dash under and do it as you wish.

His d.M has a curiously large hitbox, if you think they are going to empty jump, you can actually cross them up from the ground with this move just before they hit the ground. Links to launcher.

b+H has projectile properties, hits about jump height and recovers much faster than you think and chips.

Probably the most annoying thing vs super jumps is his b+M+H backdash is hosed up, you can spam it with no timing whatsoever and get an incredibly fast backdash cancel. Just hold back and spam M+H as fast as you can! So just dash forward a few times, and then turbo your way to the opposite side.

Vildiil
Dec 16, 2003
Stuff

40 OZ posted:

Wesker and Nemesis are my suggestions.

I barely played vanilla mvc3 but would storm work alright with these two? I'm definitely interested in Nemesis and it seems you can't go wrong with Wesker. Storm is the only character I remember how to play at all though from when I did play mvc3.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Nemesis, Sentinel, Wolverine to an extent (though Wolvie did eat a lot of nerfs)... Sent and Nemesis are nice because they have huge range and do shittons of damage with simple combos. Sent also has one of the nicest assists in the game (drones) though with Nemesis you have to keep in mind the projectile you want to use with him is air qcf+s for air rockets, on the ground his shoulder is so high the rockets go over most of the cast.

Hawkeye is pretty drat annoying, there are some matches I've won just by merit of triple arrow and Gimlet - X-Factor cancel - Gimlet. It really is one of the most braindead easy ways to kill an assist and is very difficult to stuff.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Vildiil posted:

I barely played vanilla mvc3 but would storm work alright with these two? I'm definitely interested in Nemesis and it seems you can't go wrong with Wesker. Storm is the only character I remember how to play at all though from when I did play mvc3.

Storm goes great with basically every single team.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

Fenn the Fool! posted:

Are there any characters that can do the crossover counter (the forward+assist thing while blocking) into an invincible attack and follow it up with a combo that builds back that bar of meter? Are there, perhaps, 3 such characters...?

Delving into the guide to answer my own question here, when used as a Crossover Counter Deadpool-a, Thor-b, X-23-y, Chris-a, Felicia-a, Tron-b, and Joe-b are all invincible and can be comboed out of sans-meter. I'm pretty bad, but I've found letting your opponent throw a few attacks that you interrupt with xfactor into Doom Time to be really simple and reliable. Being able to do pretty much the same thing multiple times per game seems really awesome, does anyone actually do this?

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

PunkBoy posted:

I would totally follow a series about the Heroes for Hire in Iron Fist's ending.

And we already saw the IRON SHORYUKEN in Ryu's new ending sooo...

It would be a pretty rad thing is what I'm trying to say.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Munsun posted:

He has a few things, but nothing he has is really going to make them regret super jumping.

His S has a pretty high up hit box. Dash under and do it as you wish.

His d.M has a curiously large hitbox, if you think they are going to empty jump, you can actually cross them up from the ground with this move just before they hit the ground. Links to launcher.

b+H has projectile properties, hits about jump height and recovers much faster than you think and chips.

Probably the most annoying thing vs super jumps is his b+M+H backdash is hosed up, you can spam it with no timing whatsoever and get an incredibly fast backdash cancel. Just hold back and spam M+H as fast as you can! So just dash forward a few times, and then turbo your way to the opposite side.

Yeah, that's the thing, GR cannot do much about super jumps, but super jumps also aren't really going to get you anything against him.

And characters going to full screen and teleporting isn't something ghost rider has to worry about either. Now if your opponent can set up teleport mixup from full screen, that's a different matter.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Fenn the Fool! posted:

Delving into the guide to answer my own question here, when used as a Crossover Counter Deadpool-a, Thor-b, X-23-y, Chris-a, Felicia-a, Tron-b, and Joe-b are all invincible and can be comboed out of sans-meter. I'm pretty bad, but I've found letting your opponent throw a few attacks that you interrupt with xfactor into Doom Time to be really simple and reliable. Being able to do pretty much the same thing multiple times per game seems really awesome, does anyone actually do this?
The only time I ever saw people using counter to combo into was with Sentinel, where you can activate Hard Drive before landing to have an invincible attack out right away. I imagine you can do this with air X-Factor now with everyone.

What I see with the characters+assists you listed is that they look to be characters that not many people used or assists that people usually don't use. From what I've seen (mainly talking about vanilla): Deadpool is better with Katanarama for OTG or guns to cover space, nobody uses Thor other than Nidd who does use the counter invincibility I believe, X-23 players use Ankle Slice for OTG+low attack, Chris I usually see the grenade, Felicia wasn't used much but the low attack is her best assist at least, pretty much nobody wanted Tron active in vanilla and especially not now in Ultimate, and Joe I don't know.

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
It isn't much, but if you dash forward or kara d.M into dp+H, it just barely reaches full screen. But too late on that, you'll probably eat that full screen teleport anyways.

I haven't tested it myself, but I would imagine you could Penance Stare a ground teleport on reaction if you got the meter.

Vildiil
Dec 16, 2003
Stuff

Jmcrofts posted:

Storm goes great with basically every single team.

Awesome, looks like I finally have a team to start training with.

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~
I think Quick Work is Deadpool's best assist overall in UMvC3 because it's more flexible than Katanarama. It ignores hitstun decay and causes spinning knockdown so it's a great combo extender, Deadpool can combo after an invulnerable crossover counter with Chimichangas‼, and of course, it hits low. Still, Katanarama is better if you really need an OTG and don't mind the ground bounce!

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Is there any specific timing to doing a crossover counter, or is it just as soon as you're blocking (any time that you could be advance guarding) that you just press the partner button?

also: new tier question: WHICH SIDE OF THE COVER ARE YALL USING?

Revitalized fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Nov 20, 2011

usedpizza
Jan 1, 2009

Give it up for the champ
Crossover counter is forward + assist any time in blockstun, I believe.

Reverse cover is S tier.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Revitalized posted:

Is there any specific timing to doing a crossover counter, or is it just as soon as you're blocking (any time that you could be advance guarding) that you just press the partner button?

also: new tier question: WHICH SIDE OF THE COVER ARE YALL USING?

the flipped side of course. I like my nemesis EXTRA hideous

waspinator
Oct 18, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm thinking about making myself learn spider-man because he's always been my favorite hero (yeah yeah, shut up), so I was wondering what the concensus on him was?

edit: also, what is a wave dash. Forgive my noobness.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Wave dashing is when you dash (generally done by pressing two attack buttons at the same time) and then cancel the dash by hitting Down, and then dashing again and cancelling again, etc etc. Generally it makes a character move significantly faster on the ground, but some characters can't do it at all (Hulk, others I don't feel like finding out).

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

waspinator posted:

I'm thinking about making myself learn spider-man because he's always been my favorite hero (yeah yeah, shut up), so I was wondering what the concensus on him was?

edit: also, what is a wave dash. Forgive my noobness.

Spidey is pretty good, but his damaging combos require a lot of execution so to get really good with him you'll have to spend some time in training mode.

Wave dashing is done by cancelling dash into crouch, and repeating it. This allows you do repeatedly dash across the screen very quickly. In this game you can wavedash by just alternating tapping 2 attacks, then tapping down, then 2 attacks repeat.

You can also press 2 attacks, then repeatedly tap down+ 2 attacks at the same time. This is the MvC2 method, and it still works in this game. it's slightly harder than alternating.

If you're doing it right it should look like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2qaKtevaqo#t=0m15s

Note that some characters can't wavedash: Any character who can't cancel their dash into crouch (Dormammu, Hulk, a few others) cannot wavedash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

I'm really enjoying playing as Iron Fist... In training mode. Whenever I take him online I get blown up because BnBs don't mean poo poo when you can't even land the first hit of the combo. What assists should I be using to close the distance and get in there?

• Locked thread