Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Ok so I looked at the readme for BTB's spells addon and he made a lot of the spell effects unavailable in the spellmaker and unavailable for enchanting. Does anyone know if there is an alternate form of this mod that has all the effects available, or do I need to open up the construction set and figure out how to change all these effects back? I can't play this game unless I abuse the gently caress out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cow
May 6, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

soscannonballs posted:

Ok so I looked at the readme for BTB's spells addon and he made a lot of the spell effects unavailable in the spellmaker and unavailable for enchanting. Does anyone know if there is an alternate form of this mod that has all the effects available, or do I need to open up the construction set and figure out how to change all these effects back? I can't play this game unless I abuse the gently caress out of it.

It's real easy to change whatever in the construction set, BTB has a lovely readme which details all the changes.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive

Magic posted:

Any tips for magic users?

Yeah, survive & practice until you get levitate. Then you cast levitate and rain death down from above. Collect levitation items and learn to love them. Invis when you don't want to fight, levitate when you do. There's no point in even messing around with it. If you play a straight mage (not a nightblade or arcane warrior or w/e) this is the only way you can really play successfully, at least until you get to be so high level that you can kill poo poo like Umbra with a single touch spell.

It's a good, painful and interesting way to play though. Good and interesting because dungeons become extra dangerous as you can't fly around so easily. Painful because my house rules require me to bump the difficulty slider up 1 notch for every level I gain and aaaaaaaaaaa

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

So i installed MSGO and MGE just fine, along with some mods from BTBs list, and am really enjoying the game now in a way I never did before. However I can't get MGEXE working correctly. In fact, after downloading and unzipping it into the morrowind directory, trying to run it in Win7 just gives a "program stopped working" error message. I actually had the exact same problem with MGE, in fact, but resolved it by downloading MGE directly from sourceforge, instead of using what came with the overhaul pack.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

So I am having an issue where my game crashes about 50% of the time when a summoned creature dies. Has anyone else had an issue like this? It can get pretty annoying since every Dunmer now summons a ghost if I don't kill them in one hit, and I kind of wanted to make a summoner.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

soscannonballs posted:

I'm going to wager that BTB isn't really for you, then. Have you read the author's manifesto on his overhaul? Dude hates exploitable mechanics. That's why he reworked pretty much everything about the game--so that it hates you more. Personally, I love it. But for somebody looking to relive the golden era of gamebreaking Morrowind, BTB is sort of antithetical.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

soscannonballs posted:

So I am having an issue where my game crashes about 50% of the time when a summoned creature dies. Has anyone else had an issue like this? It can get pretty annoying since every Dunmer now summons a ghost if I don't kill them in one hit, and I kind of wanted to make a summoner.

Is that a 50% CTD with any summoned creatures, or mainly with those summoned by NPC racial abilities (i.e., Dunmer summoning Ancestor Ghosts)? I'd recommend deactivating the "NPCs use Racial Abilities" feature of the MCP, since it's pretty unbalancing. If it isn't a CTD related to MCP, you should post your load order on here and also run it through Mlox, which should tell you where any potential conflicts are.

The Bramble posted:

So i installed MSGO and MGE just fine, along with some mods from BTBs list, and am really enjoying the game now in a way I never did before. However I can't get MGEXE working correctly. In fact, after downloading and unzipping it into the morrowind directory, trying to run it in Win7 just gives a "program stopped working" error message. I actually had the exact same problem with MGE, in fact, but resolved it by downloading MGE directly from sourceforge, instead of using what came with the overhaul pack.

Do you run them as Administrator? Do yourself a favor and flag everything--everything--remotely related to running Morrowind (Morrowind.exe, MWSE, MGE, MGE-XE, etc.) as running with admin privileges.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Is that a 50% CTD with any summoned creatures, or mainly with those summoned by NPC racial abilities (i.e., Dunmer summoning Ancestor Ghosts)? I'd recommend deactivating the "NPCs use Racial Abilities" feature of the MCP, since it's pretty unbalancing. If it isn't a CTD related to MCP, you should post your load order on here and also run it through Mlox, which should tell you where any potential conflicts are.

Do you run them as Administrator? Do yourself a favor and flag everything--everything--remotely related to running Morrowind (Morrowind.exe, MWSE, MGE, MGE-XE, etc.) as running with admin privileges.

I tried summoning my own guys and it still crashed. As far as BTB's, I like a lot of the stuff, and it only took a second for me to go in and edit his spells addon to enable the effects I like. If I could just get this summoning crashing bug fixed I would be golden.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

soscannonballs posted:

I tried summoning my own guys and it still crashed. As far as BTB's, I like a lot of the stuff, and it only took a second for me to go in and edit his spells addon to enable the effects I like. If I could just get this summoning crashing bug fixed I would be golden.

Have you tried running your load order through Mlox? It's like a smarter version of BOSS because it actually explains the conflicts. If you don't mind, post your load order so I can eyeball it. I might not be able to help much, but who knows.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Does anyone know of any good leveling mods? It's a huge pain in the rear end to have to level some misc skills so I can get x5 modifiers every level up.

Sinfjotli
Dec 22, 2003

Lemon Curry?

Azuth0667 posted:

Does anyone know of any good leveling mods? It's a huge pain in the rear end to have to level some misc skills so I can get x5 modifiers every level up.

I've been using this one posted a page ago or so:

ulmont posted:

There's the "always plus five" mod:
http://tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=29859

which works OK, but you still seem to need to gain a point or two in the skill type to get the bonus (ie you either get no multiplier in an attribute at all or an x5) so I've just been supplementing it with console commands.

Backyarr
Jun 6, 2006
There's a pirate in your backyard!

Fallen Rib

Azuth0667 posted:

I like MADD Leveler. It automatically increases the relevant attribute as you raise a skill -- if you improve your Illusion skill 3 times, your Personality goes up by 1 point. The level-up screen still appears, but the multipliers are always at x1.
It also has a workaround to get rid of skill and attribute caps, so they can go beyond 100. I've noticed the mod can increase your power level somewhat if you know all the trainers and money-earning tricks, which most of us do.

Also, another mod people might like that somewhat concerns leveling: Talrivian's State-Based HP. It's basically a patch to make health growth retroactive, something that never made sense to me in the original game.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
New Version of MGE-XE Out Now

Well, it seems that Hrnchamd decided to come out of the hole he's been hiding in for the past few months yesterday to finally release a version of XE that supports dynamic water from MGE rev 178. There's a ton of other fixes and updated shaders as well. I haven't tested this myself yet, but the feedback looks positive.

Hrnchamd posted:

New features since 0.8
Dynamic water from MGE 178+, water simulation adjusted to be more liquid
Full install package, doesn't require a previous MGE
HDR shader upgraded, opinions please
Settings GUI improved

New features over standard MGE
All objects in Morrowind view distance receive shadows.
High quality selection of default shaders included.
Screenshot enable checkbox now works like others since the screenshot code is patched. Just use PrintScreen, no macro required.
Object pop-in at the screen edge no longer occurs. Distant land and grass culling is not delayed by a frame any more.
Grass parts when the player is nearby; grass is lit better.
Shaders no longer affect the crosshair, nor spill over the screen during cell loading, nor screw with cutscenes.
Windowed mode snaps to the screen edge to act like fullscreen, allowing Alt-Tab to work.
New underwater surface effects, total internal reflection.
Water shows up in the local map again, previous MGE versions did not allow it to render in the map.
Scattering exponential fog and better sunsets, thanks to phal.

Install Instructions:

1. Update to DirectX 9.0c June 2010. (This won't conflict with DX10+.)
2. Install MGE XE to the Morrowind directory.
3. If you are using HUD mods made for standard MGE, you should deselect them from your load order.
4. Run the new MGEXEgui. Read the instructions page. If you are upgrading from MGE you should generate distant land with 150 minimum static size.
5. If you use Crossfire/SLI, turn off "Responsive menu caching" in the In-game tab, to avoid performance reductions as caching is SLI unfriendly.

Click here to download version 0.9

:siren: Edit: I just tried it, and here's my results:

I'm getting much better framerates with this version than normal, even with some features enabled I didn't use before (except when a lot of water is on screen). On the other hand, none of the shaders that come with it made any visual difference whatsoever but gave me a sizeable FPS hit.

Musical_Daredevil fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Nov 25, 2011

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Of the three great houses I've joined Telvanni and the wizard tower is awesome. How does Redoran or Hlaalu turn out?

ivy
Apr 4, 2009

You want to know my take on the title of the album? Billy and Jimmy always have this bad pun game, is what I call it. It's the bad pun game getting out of control. Embarrassing. Not the name. The name's not really embarrassing. Just the game.
Pillbug

Musical_Daredevil posted:

New Version of MGE-XE Out Now

Just came back for another attempt at modding the poo poo out of Morrowind and have been pleased with Ogg's modpack - MGE-XE seems to have come a long way since last time I tried it, especially as far as stability and framerate are concerned, but I'm disappointed that a lot of the crazier SSAO, Bloom and HDR options don't seem to work any more, or at least do much - the sunshafts are pretty dull now too. Has anyone had any luck getting anything pretty other than DoF to work on the new XE?
Also, this might be a dumb question but although I'm happy with my textures, the game isn't as colourful as I'd like it to be; could anyone suggest a mod or ini configuration to make things look a little less grey?

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

PxiePip posted:

have been pleased with Ogg's modpack

I poke around this thread a bit even though I haven't played Morrowind in a while. Glad you like the pack!

I'm playing through Oblivion for the first time right now, but don't tell anybody.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Azuth0667 posted:

Of the three great houses I've joined Telvanni and the wizard tower is awesome. How does Redoran or Hlaalu turn out?

It's been awhile since I played, but if I recall, the Hlaalu house was always my favorite because it was a swank villa in the hills just south of Balmorra. The Redoran house has armed guards and comes with some neat weapons, but is in the middle of a lovely ash field between Balmorra and Ald'ruhn, and way too far from both.

ivy
Apr 4, 2009

You want to know my take on the title of the album? Billy and Jimmy always have this bad pun game, is what I call it. It's the bad pun game getting out of control. Embarrassing. Not the name. The name's not really embarrassing. Just the game.
Pillbug

Oggumogoggum posted:

I poke around this thread a bit even though I haven't played Morrowind in a while. Glad you like the pack!

I'm playing through Oblivion for the first time right now, but don't tell anybody.

Let us know when you're done with the Oggblivion Megapack!!

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Is there any chance someone could post the spell renamer ESP file? I'm trying to get the python file in the OP to work, but apparently the python install and the renamer zip don't come with all the plugins/modules/whatever I need in order for it to work.

pre:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Wrye Mash\Mopy\spell_renamer.py", line 414, in <module>
    main()
  File "C:\Wrye Mash\Mopy\spell_renamer.py", line 393, in main
    init()
  File "C:\Wrye Mash\Mopy\spell_renamer.py", line 369, in init
    mosh.initSettings()
  File "C:\Wrye Mash\Mopy\mosh.py", line 6795, in initSettings
    settings = Settings(path)
  File "C:\Wrye Mash\Mopy\mosh.py", line 235, in __init__
    inData = cPickle.load(open(self.path))
ImportError: No module named wx._core

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
I'm basically a functional computer retard, and I've installed my GOTY CD of the game, and done all of the steps in the OP up to the "adding shaders" part. I figured I'd do Ogg's megapack, as it seems the most hassle-free, but when I click the torrent, download it, and then click on it, it says that it doesn't know where to open the files. I don't want to do anything stupid (beyond not knowing how to do this already), so could someone kindly and in dummy's terms give me an idea of how to get started at this point?

I'm running Vista on my crap laptop and just want to try the game in a new way, if that helps any.

Tufty
May 21, 2006

The Traffic Safety Squirrel

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

I'm basically a functional computer retard, and I've installed my GOTY CD of the game, and done all of the steps in the OP up to the "adding shaders" part. I figured I'd do Ogg's megapack, as it seems the most hassle-free, but when I click the torrent, download it, and then click on it, it says that it doesn't know where to open the files. I don't want to do anything stupid (beyond not knowing how to do this already), so could someone kindly and in dummy's terms give me an idea of how to get started at this point?

I'm running Vista on my crap laptop and just want to try the game in a new way, if that helps any.

You need a bittorrent clien in order to download .torrent files. uTorrent is a good simple one that's small too.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007

Tufty posted:

You need a bittorrent clien in order to download .torrent files. uTorrent is a good simple one that's small too.

This helped a lot. Having now downloaded it, where do I move it?

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
Oggs has a text file that tells you what to do in what order. I think there are some other clients you still need to download. Even though this is the "easiest" mod pack to install, there are still some hoops.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Yeah, it all ended up being a bit much, and it looks like just installing the Morrowind Patch Project, along with the Better bodies/heads/clothes will be enough for me. I just really want people to look less-potatoey and have less crashes.

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!
The OP says not to install Morrowind to the default folder (Program Files) but the installer doesn't give me the option to change the install directory. Do I just move it manually after installation?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

BeanBandit posted:

The OP says not to install Morrowind to the default folder (Program Files) but the installer doesn't give me the option to change the install directory. Do I just move it manually after installation?

I always had this problem on Windows 7, but a buddy of mine, also running Windows 7, never had this issue. This is the chief reason I never tried to setup this poo poo.

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!
I guess the OP says that "Program Files (x86)" works fine, so maybe it's just an issue with 64-bit versions of Windows.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I have Morrowind modded to hell and back in the Programs (x86) directory for both of my computers. One is Vista and one is Windows 7. Both are 64-bit. I've never had problems because of this, but I have noticed that others encounter issues possibly related to this. Better safe than sorry.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I think it's suggested you install to another directory is because Program Files (x86) is monitored by User Account Control on Vista and Windows 7, which can screw things up if applications aren't being run as admin. I never really had issues with it either though.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
When you first install it, it sets a reg key for the install directory. that key does not get removed when you uninstall, so subsequent installations can't be installed to a different location. You have to edit the registry and delete that key after you uninstall. I'm not at my home computer so can't tell you the key. I think it's HKLM\Software\morrowind or something fairly straightforward.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Is there any Werewolf or Vampire mods that are worth downloading? I saw some, but wasn't sure if they were worthwhile.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Mr E posted:

Is there any Werewolf or Vampire mods that are worth downloading? I saw some, but wasn't sure if they were worthwhile.

Yeah... for Vampires:

Vampire Embrace - http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=mods.detail&id=771

Vampire Realism II - http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=mods.detail&id=1875Vampire

Vampiric Hunger III - http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=mods.detail&id=1914

Patch - http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=mods.detail&id=7222

Diablare - http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=mods.detail&id=3796

Configure these with "StartScript VR_Menu" and "StartScript VH_Setup" in the console.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
Are there any quest mods that are work downloading? I'm trying the Seekers faction right now, and the premise seems promising but thus far its a series of fetch quests.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

So a couple of things:

The author of MGE-XE recently made an official, not retardedly-named (Skunk Works) page for his utility on TES Nexus. As of yesterday, this page hosts the latest versions of MGE-XE. The shaders are working properly now, overall performance seems to have improved, and water caustics a la MGE are in. There's one more shader, "HDR Adjust" which is supposed to simulate eyes adjusting to rapid changes in light levels, but I haven't dicked around with it too much yet.

Also, this mod might be worth a look for "beautifying" the swamp areas. It simply removes the flat swamp-scum texture from swamps so that you can see the water underneath. There are still lilypads, leaves, and other poo poo in the pools so they aren't completely clean. Here's a (somewhat) dark morning shot I took outside Seyda Neen with the swamp-scum removed.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

prometheusbound2 posted:

Are there any quest mods that are work downloading? I'm trying the Seekers faction right now, and the premise seems promising but thus far its a series of fetch quests.

Look up "Great House Dagoth" (in the OP) OR "The Sixth House". They both allow you to actually take Dagoth Ur up on his offer and join the Sixth House. Both mods are packed full of new quests and features and don't succumb to boring "I'm evil now!" pitfalls.

Then there's "Darknuts' Greater Dwemer Ruins", which makes the quest for Keening and Sunder much more epic in scope. And then "Rise of House Telvanni" in the OP. All four are really awesome quest mods, in my opinion.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Apparently the alchemy set at the top of the tower in Caldera is supposed to be unguarded, but I find Ailendal there around the clock:

Am I supposed to run her out somehow? I'm up for it, if so.

Edit: I guess I had to sleep on it. She was gone when I checked back this (RL) morning.

The Orcs in the Caldera manor defended their armor quite fiercely, so I'll have to figure that out when my sneak is better.

The MGSO author has started testing on the 2.0 release, and is asking for testers in this Bethsoft forum thread. I tried it out and the install was simple, plus the results are way better than I had with 1.3 -- better visuals, no glitches or crashes, much faster load times. I guess it's due out for real in a week or two?

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Dec 11, 2011

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Interociter posted:

Apparently the alchemy set at the top of the tower in Caldera is supposed to be unguarded, but I find Ailendal there around the clock:

Am I supposed to run her out somehow? I'm up for it, if so.

Edit: I guess I had to sleep on it. She was gone when I checked back this (RL) morning.

Is Ailendal a mod-added NPC?

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
Added this to the OP:

Interociter posted:

The MGSO author has started testing on the 2.0 release, and is asking for testers in this Bethsoft forum thread. I tried it out and the install was simple, plus the results are way better than I had with 1.3 -- better visuals, no glitches or crashes, much faster load times. I guess it's due out for real in a week or two?

I might get in on this myself and see whether the problems brought up here in the thread are dealt with.

[quote!=edit]

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Musical_Daredevil posted:

Is Ailendal a mod-added NPC?

A fine question for which I do not have an answer. The internet seems to know nothing about her, and none of the mods I have installed (all of them via MGSO) look at all plausible except for Morrowind Patch Project. I can't find a modern list of what's in MPP, but what I can find doesn't make it sound like it's from there.

I guess with TCS I could grep the modules and see where she came from, but :effort:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
Then it's probably "Animated Morrowind - Expanded" which adds her.

The odd thing is that you have the same mods I do (MGSO), yet I've never seen this NPC and constantly [ab]use that alchemy set.