Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Oh jeez. I just realized that every Nova combo I do can lead into one of two different air throw reset setups, and one of them is safe if I call virgil assist when I do it. Gosh I love this character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Nova's resets are seriously godlike. Here's a cool video to watch.

Particularly the javelin reset, I'm scared.

Sex Vicar
Oct 11, 2007

I thought this was a swingers party...

Glass Eater posted:

Crossover counter is forward + assist any time in blockstun, I believe.

Reverse cover is S tier.

Europe didn't get a reverse cover :sigh:

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Seizure Robot posted:

That combo to get Frank to Level 4 is pretty nice. If I get fed up with how different Tron feels and how neutered her combos are, I might have to give Nova a try instead.

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan

Kageneko posted:

You sound a lot like me. I'd love to play you but I'm on xbox.

I just kept playing online. Ignore the record. Play everyone you can. Don't worry about combos, don't worry about losing. Just learn to block and get in. Gotta beat that anxiety. I can spend all day off line and do sweet Morrigan jump loops or fly combos, or recently I learned Doom's BuK loop (which he really doesn't need anymore) but as soon as I play a human it goes to poo poo. None of that matters if you can't learn to get in and start the combo.

Once you do it enough you can get past that anxiety a bit and then start pulling out the combos and setups you practiced.

Appreciate that. It's a weird thing to have to deal with since I don't fully understand why it happens. I know it's just an online match that means little - it's practically an extended training mode - but no matter the rationalizing, it still kicks in. There's enough on my mind without it, just trying to get use to the delay factor, so it really isn't a fun time.

What's worse is my mental reflex wants me to go in with crouched magic series into launcher, but Iron Fist cannot link his launcher if the opponent is caught floating and the crouching heavy hit is a sweep that causes them to be air born for a moment (like Ryu's). Trying to break that habit so I can do some standing attacks (his medium and heavy standing dash him forward as well, I gotta learn to make use of that).

Crayvex posted:

Speaking of salty online play, how is it that everyone I've played online is 100000 times better than me?..

As I mentioned before, those who played in vanilla are now reset in their rankings. This means that a lot of Beginner ranked players are actually much more experienced due to their online time in MvC3. As well, they seem to be more focused on joining Spectator lobbies and not so much going up in their ranks. So, trying to tell if someone really is new or not requires looking at their battle stats. In my limited experience yesterday, the majority of players joining the Beginners Only labelled lobby were actually newer players - at least, they played like it. Only after a while did we get someone who was more competent, and even he I wouldn't say was "good", just, was able to do full sentinel combos.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

That combo to get Frank to Level 4 is pretty nice. If I get fed up with how different Tron feels and how neutered her combos are, I might have to give Nova a try instead.
You're playing... Tron?! :stare:

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Seizure Robot posted:

Those combos are godlike. Makes me realize how much I don't know. At least I found the fly/unfly ground thing before seeing the video.

I especially liked the gravimetric pulse H square jump corner setup. Now I gotta figure out if I want to pick up Spencer for that combo extender assist.

usedpizza
Jan 1, 2009

Give it up for the champ
Why does everyone say Doom no longer needs the buktooth loop, what does he use instead?

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
As I understood Doom in vanilla, he needed the Buktooth loop for his midscreen combo. Now he can do launch, M (2 hits) M f+H S airdash downforward whiff M, land, jump upforward, immediate airdash downforward, land, H (OTG) S into another air combo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3VgCH-oPbc&t=3m17s or 3:17 in this vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3VgCH-oPbc

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!
Dante's new arcade mode ending is the best

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"

Niddhogg posted:

Sengoku Basara X was published by Capcom.
So was Fate Unlimited Codes. Doesn't mean they could reference Saber or Emiya that easily.

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

leather fedora posted:

So was Fate Unlimited Codes. Doesn't mean they could reference Saber or Emiya that easily.

Or Strider Hiryu? The entire franchise is based off of the games that Capcom makes.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

leather fedora posted:

Except Sengoku Basara does actually belong to Capcom. They had two games in the franchise made before Arc even made SBX.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Yes. We need more characters with swords, this is a thing we should argue for.

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

NecroMonster posted:

Only if they have longcoats too.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Speaking of longcoats, I just realized Vergil's cash alt will probably transform into Nelo Angelo :spooky:

Also there are plenty of Sengoku Basara characters that would be cool in this game that don't use swords but whatever

Cinroth
Dec 11, 2008

Has it never occured
to you that this club
is overpopulated?

Niddhogg posted:

Only if they have longcoats too.

If only they gave Tron a longcoat. One for Tron and one for Gustaff.

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

Speaking of longcoats, I just realized Vergil's cash alt will probably transform into Nelo Angelo :spooky:

Yeah the DT is Nelo Angelo and it's :black101: as hell

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

NecroMonster posted:

Yukimara from SB would be really cool and own. A sick combo of Sonson and Sol from GGX!!

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Cat Machine posted:

You're playing... Tron?! :stare:

I was messing around with the concept, because like I mentioned before, any Tron combo into Lunch Rush whiff DHCed into Frank's qcb super gives him time for three camera shots, guaranteeing Level 5 Frank. Nova can only get Frank to 4 with the combo in that video, but Nova is most likely far and away more playable on point than Tron is so it might be worth the difference.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

iPodschun posted:

As I understood Doom in vanilla, he needed the Buktooth loop for his midscreen combo. Now he can do launch, M (2 hits) M f+H S airdash downforward whiff M, land, jump upforward, immediate airdash downforward, land, H (OTG) S into another air combo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3VgCH-oPbc&t=3m17s or 3:17 in this vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3VgCH-oPbc

Oh my goodness, you don't need to Buktooth with Doom in order to be good anymore?

What am I fighting foooooorrr

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Cat Machine posted:

Yukimara from SB would be really cool and own. A sick combo of Sonson and Sol from GGX!!

Yeah I'd say Yukimura would be a decent fit what with his whole fire and dual lance shtick. A lot of the notable characters from Basara already have other characters in this game filling their niche.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Date Masamune would essentially be Wolvergil and that would be kinda cool/scary in a way I guess

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Cat Machine posted:

Date Masamune would essentially be Wolvergil and that would be kinda cool/scary in a way I guess

Vergil is already Wolvergil, we don't need another.

doctor/prostitute
Sep 30, 2004

You really ought to lock that down

Cinroth posted:

If only they gave Tron a longcoat. One for Tron and one for Gustaff.

Yeah the DT is Nelo Angelo and it's :black101: as hell

Uhhh are you sure? Looking at the gamespot article (http://uk.gamespot.com/special_feature/marvelcapcom-final/image-feature/index.html?image=10) it definitely looks like Sparda to me, I was pretty disappointed

That Which Squeaks
Aug 28, 2006

"Good. Use your aggressive feelings, boy. Let the hate flow through you."
-Bill Belichick
CrossCounter is streaming their tournament, they've got a pretty sweet setup/

http://www.justin.tv/thestreamdottv

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Fellblade posted:

Vergil is already Wolvergil, we don't need another.

But the guns need to be put on. :smith:

Tokugawa would fit, but for some reason I feel he would be like Iron Fist. Magoichi would be awesome, but we already have a ton of gun characters.

Cinroth
Dec 11, 2008

Has it never occured
to you that this club
is overpopulated?

doctor/prostitute posted:

Uhhh are you sure? Looking at the gamespot article (http://uk.gamespot.com/special_feature/marvelcapcom-final/image-feature/index.html?image=10) it definitely looks like Sparda to me, I was pretty disappointed

It's the version from DMC3 is what I meant, sorry for the confusion.

Now that you're pointing it out I may be wrong though and it's not that either, been awhile since I played DMC3...

*edit* Yeah it's definitely Sparda and I'm dumb but I'm hype anyway!!

Cinroth fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Nov 21, 2011

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I'm gonna say something and I wanna see if you people agree: you can actually get pretty decent at MvC3 just laboring in training mode, but I can't see that happening with SF4. I feel like this game is more about mixup tricks and proactivity after getting a hit, while AE requires a lot more of matchup knowledge, which is something you can't get just from training mode. I dunno, just had this in my mind and decided to put it out there.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Dias posted:

I'm gonna say something and I wanna see if you people agree: you can actually get pretty decent at MvC3 just laboring in training mode, but I can't see that happening with SF4. I feel like this game is more about mixup tricks and proactivity after getting a hit, while AE requires a lot more of matchup knowledge, which is something you can't get just from training mode. I dunno, just had this in my mind and decided to put it out there.

You can get pretty far in AE through training mode tech if you pick the right characters.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

Cinroth posted:

Now that you're pointing it out I may be wrong though and it's not that either, been awhile since I played DMC3...

To clarify some DMC minutia for all ya'll, in DMC3 SE that costume is unlockable, but transforms you into one of the bosses from DMC1, not Sparda. Not that it really matters.

:goonsay:

In any case way to be lazy Capcom :thumbsup:

doctor/prostitute
Sep 30, 2004

You really ought to lock that down

Cinroth posted:

I was just hoping you knew something I didn't, it's not a bad alt I guess but it's kind of stupid that it's almost identical to Dante's when they could have differentiated them more, I'd definitely have put down money for a Nelo Angelo DT alt.

Cinroth
Dec 11, 2008

Has it never occured
to you that this club
is overpopulated?

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

To clarify some DMC minutia for all ya'll, in DMC3 SE that costume is unlockable, but transforms you into one of the bosses from DMC1, not Sparda. Not that it really matters.

:goonsay:

In any case way to be lazy Capcom :thumbsup:

Yeah I know that, I just didn't remember exactly what his DT looked like in that costume in DMC3, but got blown up when I googled it.

And yeah it's lazy as hell but that's crapcom!!

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Dias posted:

I disagree in that I don't think you can get very far in either game just with training mode tech. I'm the world's biggest training mode warrior in MVC3, and any time I play other people I get absolutely destroyed because training mode doesn't teach you to use setups or defense or how to open people up or just about anything else that makes you successful against other people aside from just not dropping combos. I know you can use the training dummy options to replicate some of that, but it's still not the same as actually playing another person.

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Here's some Wright tech for y'all, check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO0QuIEokSo

40 OZ
May 16, 2003
I'm really trying my best with Iron Man.

I see what the strategy guide says to do with him, I just haven't been able to execute their "battle plan" with any luck yet.

Is there -any- footage of a decent UMvC3 Iron Man just playing the game?

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
Doesn't the strategy guide suggest superjumping, then flying straight up and repeatedly using smartbombs?

40 OZ
May 16, 2003
I'm having trouble threatening with the recommended long distance tri-jumps, in particular.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Please ban the use of the black and white ghouls and ghost stage, it hurts my eyes :stare:

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
I played a lot of point Iron Man in vanilla - he was the anchor/assist char on my vanilla team - and from what I can tell, he does a lot more damage when he lands a hit in Ultimate, but his nerfed trijump plus the fact that he still can't do cr.LMHS makes it ten times harder to land that hit in the first place.

While I'm on a tangent, riddle me this, thread: Hawkeye is, judging by his array of projectiles, ostensibly a zoning character. His st.H is a projectile, and it combos into S, slide, f+H, all his specials and the gold arrow super. Rocket Raccoon is, again ostensibly, a zoning character, and has projectile standing and crouching H's that combo, again, into his standing S. Iron Man's changes all seem to involve weakening his tri-jump offense in exchange for strengthening his zoning game, and they even went to the trouble to make his cr.H missile fly more horizontally and special cancellable, but it doesn't combo from his cr.M and doesn't lead to anything in particular. It kinda sucks, Iron Man is a cool character. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
I'm not sure why it bothers you so much that Iron Man can't do cr.lmhs. He can do cr.l l l m s, so what's the difference?

• Locked thread