Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

kalvick posted:

3) since you are basically racing in a parking lot, if you get into an accident, does insurance see this as a sanctioned race event or kids being assholes in a parking lot? for instance, lets say I damage my car, or hit someone else and I call the insurance company and say I was speeding in the parking lot and hit a car. what happens in these events?
My position is that the only way that an accident happens is either blatant gross negligence on the part of the driver or the course designer and safety steward. (Or maintenance issues, which are different)

The first, the driver is clearly liable. I've seen this once -- a WRX tried to do a slalom at 80+ mph (he was in 3rd) and then instead of going feet in, tried to save it and went through a chain link fence.

As for the second, I've been an SCCA safety steward (and am also an attorney), and the rules for course setup are strict. If you follow those rules, you pretty much have to try to cause an accident. That said, a lot of course designers play extremely fast and loose with these rules. Things I've seen are shocking. This is why I'm not a safety steward anymore, I was sick of arguing with assholes.
In this case, the club is clearly liable, which is why these rules are so loving important as in most cases, failure to follow these rules will lead to a loss of insurance cover. Then the club and organizers will have to pay. The SCCA has deep, deep pockets, so you're getting paid. These are extremely uncommon though, but when one happens and there is serious injury or death (likely of a spectat. . .I mean non-participant), that region is hosed. Waivers are pretty useless when you design courses with obvious problems.
If you design courses, follow the rules, and listen to your safety steward. And for fucks sake, don't direct momentum toward the paddock or "non-participant" area.

nm fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Sep 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004
Tested out a ghetto camera mount for auto-x. The video came out pretty nice, one video was out of focus and the way it's mounted makes it hard to tell. The rear camera shoots in 720p, but it's FOV isn't as wide as the front camera. Also the windscreen bounces a lot which I hadn't noticed in earlier tests.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3I4-PPEIpw&feature=channel_video_title
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnZCQ8yIIws

Also someone brought an ariel atom and was running it in the rain with slicks and the car that spun and took out the timing box wasn't any of the high tq, rwd cars but an Evo X. We also had a middle aged woman caning the everliving poo poo out of her 4cyl accord. The first section was a pegleg burnout followed by bouncing the revlimiter while going through one cone section.

edit: Videos fixed.

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Oct 2, 2011

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Muffinpox posted:

Also the windscreen bounces a lot which I hadn't noticed in earlier tests.

You can probably damp it with some cotton balls and painter's tape, right?

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007

Mezmerized Machine posted:

I bet this comes up a lot, but here it goes.

I've never been in an autocross, never been TO an autocross even, but it looks like a lot of fun and I'm definitely intrigued. There's an event near me happening soon(UNCG Park n Ride) and I'm thinking about going. I'm very nervous, though, and I'm wondering if I could(or should) just go as a spectator to see how it works and talk to some people there about it. Any feedback you have would be appreciated.

I drive a 96 Miata, one of the best autocross machines, or so I'm led to believe.

My only autox experience was basically watching videos on youtube. I just drove to an event in WA while I was interning there, signed a waiver and had a blast. I don't think there's a need to spectate there and while obviously your mileage may vary, I found the people over at Bremerton Sports Car Club to be an extremely welcoming bunch so I felt right at home.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I was going through old videos and re-watched my local clubs compilation of courses from last year. Worth a look if you're wondering what you're getting into.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf9FnUigU-w

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

One of our local guys made a cool 'how to get around at your first autocross' video. It's specific to our region of course, but I thought it was pretty cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olepdvcCEzs

The Locator fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 10, 2011

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.

DogDodger posted:

Yep, I agree. Return on investment is lower at an autocross, but so is the total invested. You're right that the risk is also less. I only know of one car being severely damaged at a local autocross: a guy driving his C5 Z06 in its first event lost control, hopped a curb, and flew into a building. Also, for competitive people autocross provides that rush.

I definitely wasn't saying it's not fun, just a personal preference. :)

Good'ol Riverside High.

A few years ago I watched a young guy in a STI "jump" the sidewalk busting 3 out of 4 rims and doing god know what to the underside. Then bolted on all of his friends spare tires and drive to Morgantown... 6 months his dad tried to sue the club.

I havnt been out to a event in over a year.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

The Locator posted:

One of our local guys made a cool 'how to get around at your first autocross' video. It's specific to our region of course, but I thought it was pretty cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrjLo7f5r8g

Why did they remove the video? I was hoping to use it as a great example for making a similar video for Dixie Region.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Beach Bum posted:

Why did they remove the video? I was hoping to use it as a great example for making a similar video for Dixie Region.

They apparently moved it from the channel of the guy who made it to a brand new channel for all videos from the club.

Should find it here now: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olepdvcCEzs

I'll update the link in the original post, thanks for letting me know it had changed.

Mezmerized Machine
Dec 29, 2008
Well I went to my first autocross yesterday. Didn't get to run since I had work in the morning, but got to watch some cars go around and talk to people. Even got a ride along until the guy's bumper came off. I'm definitely interested now. There's another event next month about an hour away and I think I'm gonna participate this time. Really looking forward to it!

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
I'm guessing you're somewhere in the Triad area since TSCC had their event yesterday. There is also an event in Danville, VA on the 23rd with THSCC. I should be there if I don't blow my car up this weekend and someone else from this thread will be helping to design the course.

http://thscc.com/autocross/events/event_info.php?id=92

Mezmerized Machine
Dec 29, 2008
Yeah it was the UNCG Park n Ride. Their next event is Nov 13 in Winston-Salem and that's probably the soonest I'll be able to do anything since I work early in the morning on Sunday.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Final event of the season was a triple: a rally-x, a TSD, and an auto-x (on a go-cart track) on the (Canadian) long weekend. I don't see a rally thread (that TSD fits in) so I guess I'll put a picture here.

SCO 2011 TSD 2 by Execudork, on Flickr
We had cooling issues.

Still working on the pictures for the rally-x and the auto-x

\/\/\/ You don't have to be at all hardcore to do a TSD - except for the backpedalling away from the angry, gun-waving (seriously) farmers part, I guess. If you don't get lost ( :v: ) you're going 10% under the speed limit, remember.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Oct 11, 2011

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
TSDs are pretty hardcore. I'm not confident enough yet in either my driving or navigation/calculation skills to put myself in either front seat of a TSD car, though. :(

Kudos on doing it in a Saab. Do they divide your TSDs into multiple classes depending on calculation method? If so, where did you end up with a GPS?

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Oct 11, 2011

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
RE: classes in TSD. Normally there are two classes: "non-equipped" and "equipped". The rules date back about 10 years, so the "equipped" description talks about trip computers, laptops, and other high-tech wizardry, while the "nonequipped" says you can't even use a calculator, pencil and paper only!

This year they just called everybody "non-equipped"; nobody had a trip computer or a laptop (you could make a serious difference running an Excel spreadsheet, but only if you know what you're doing and your driver doesn't slide you into a tree listening to you 'sperg out about 1/10 of a km/h). There were only 5 teams, which was sad because last year there were at least 15, not sure why the difference.

The GPS, a base-model Garmin, made a big difference, I feel a little (only a little) bad about using it. We had no choice - the odometer on the Saab was hosed, the 11km test section before the rally resulted in a final value of 0.0; it started working again (poorly, registered about 1/2 km for every km travelled) about 1/2-way through the rally. The GPS was our odometer (Garmin tip: touch your speed on map view), and also provided moving speed average and some other useful data. NOT blowing corners is the biggest thing, though - if your rally is set up by non-idiots. The twisty bits were a bit better, too - zoomed in on map view you can tell whether that corner coming up is sharp or shallow, which makes a huge difference at night on dusty roads. We only crashed once!

EDIT: That Saab was awesome. $1000, not a spot of rust anywhere on it. :sweden: engineering at its 80's finest.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Oct 11, 2011

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer
So I went to my very first evolution phase one school this weekend and all I can say is it was worth the money! It was really eye opening to have Doug Rowse and Tom Kotzian in the car teaching me and forcing me to get rid of the bad habits i've picked up. By the end of the day I felt a lot more confident in the car but more importantly in the driver. Also plenty of drive time! I would highly recommend the course to anyone.

Wheeee!

Conelrad fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Oct 18, 2011

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Evolution does a pretty awesome school. It's certainly a lot more cost effective at improving your autocross times than a $5000 set of shocks. :)

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
I'm getting bumped to STR next year and have to compete against S2000s, which have 100 more hp for about the same weight at my RX-7. Any clues on how to remain competitive?

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Put on R-comps and run CSP.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
CSP isn't really active in my division, and I'd rather not spend 8 times as much on tires per season, especially if I'm just going to win by default.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
One series I run Autocross with had a shootout for all 6 class winners.

What was the car? A 2000ish Toyota Corolla Automatic. Owned by an organizers wife.

The runs have an interior and exterior camera and are in a playlist here: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL70E7F01228FB4FC7&feature=mh_lolz

Not surprised that the link YouTube gave me has lolz in it.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
The shootout vehicle for the year-ender here, between the FTD and Pax-adjusted winners, was an early-90's Nissan Sentra that one of the organizers had just kicking around. They installed a datalogger in it, seeing the different ways the two drivers worked shifted gears and got on / off the throttle was pretty interesting.

SSIS 2011 Sunday-42 by Execudork, on Flickr

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Going to Dixie Region's shindig up in Moultrie today... gently caress it's cold.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Finished out our points season yesterday. Best run is below. It was so cold in the morning I couldn't get any heat in the tires. Still ended up 20th/85 raw time which isn't great for a CSP car but I expected much worse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNZWays03_Q&hd=1

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

FatCow posted:

Finished out our points season yesterday. Best run is below. It was so cold in the morning I couldn't get any heat in the tires. Still ended up 20th/85 raw time which isn't great for a CSP car but I expected much worse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNZWays03_Q&hd=1

Finished ours yesterday, it was a nice course that was 2mi long and also freezing. Also finally managed to catch a spin on film, it was my passangers first time at an autox. I had just rode with him and lost all the tire heat I had, so next time I took a normally flat out section the rear came out at 60ish. Also that corner worker don't move their station even after this which can only mean they have balls of steel.

http://youtu.be/Zty8B6w9n3w

Muffinpox fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Nov 7, 2011

Mezmerized Machine
Dec 29, 2008
Participated in my first AutoX today! TSCC Event 9 at the LJVM in Winston Salem. My times were adequate at best, but I had a lot of fun and now I'm hooked! Went with a friend who was also there for the first time. He got first in novice class with his broken Z06(No TCS or ABS).

We were rocking the Grand Sport Tape Stripes

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
You have an NA, of course you had fun.

If you bring a Miata to an AutoX and don't have fun something went very very wrong.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

The final moments in the life of a cone...

Was a great event today, although a bit damp for the first groups. I am told that on my final run of the day, I was captured on video doing horrible things to the finish (spin and extreme DNF). Haven't seen it yet though.

On the other hand, this is how you *should* do a slalom:

One of the photographers caught another picture of a cone wrinkled and slightly tipped over, but stayed in the box. I was a wee bit tight on the slalom cones today (or, I guess yesterday, since it's 2:30am now).

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
drat, pictures like that ALMOST make me wish for my E36 with the S50 again.

Almost. But I have an E30 now. :D

Any goons planning on coming to the Allies v Axis event in Cecil, GA that Dixie Region does? I hope to have a suspension setup dialed in for that event, I'm buying a parts car with a few nice things on it that should really clean up the old girl. It'll also be the first time I've raced on my Hankooks since my old car got T-boned.

Edit: You also seem to be missing a fog light.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Beach Bum posted:

Edit: You also seem to be missing a fog light.

I blame evil cones for jumping out in front of my car.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

The Locator posted:

I blame evil cones for jumping out in front of my car.

I lost my brake ducts because of that. I started removing them before AutoX after I ran over one of the originals.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I wish I had better pictures of our rallycross cones exploding in -20'C weather. We lost so many last year that a lot of them are just orange mudflap material folded into a cone and ziptied to a shattered cone's intact base.

We have a lot of autocross cones with burned scars in them from being dragged under hot exhaust or along the asphalt as well. Stupid bastards just can't figure out how to stay out of the way.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I wish I had better pictures of our rallycross cones exploding in -20'C weather. We lost so many last year that a lot of them are just orange mudflap material folded into a cone and ziptied to a shattered cone's intact base.

We have a lot of autocross cones with burned scars in them from being dragged under hot exhaust or along the asphalt as well. Stupid bastards just can't figure out how to stay out of the way.

Exhibit A:

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

The Locator posted:

The final moments in the life of a cone...

Was a great event today, although a bit damp for the first groups. I am told that on my final run of the day, I was captured on video doing horrible things to the finish (spin and extreme DNF). Haven't seen it yet though.

On the other hand, this is how you *should* do a slalom:

One of the photographers caught another picture of a cone wrinkled and slightly tipped over, but stayed in the box. I was a wee bit tight on the slalom cones today (or, I guess yesterday, since it's 2:30am now).

Haha awesome and great pictures (Rob took those I imagine?). AZSolo is a cone grinder for sure. Looking froward to destroying a few with the new and improved Turbo Yaris this weekend at Marana.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Podothehobbit posted:

Haha awesome and great pictures (Rob took those I imagine?). AZSolo is a cone grinder for sure. Looking froward to destroying a few with the new and improved Turbo Yaris this weekend at Marana.

Rob took them I do believe, they are from Rob's site anyway.

I am probably not going to make Marana this weekend, but who knows, something might change and I'll head down. The weather forecast looks awesome, so it should be a great time.

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer
So took the Yaris out for the first time since the turbo install. It was a very fun course and we had a huge turnout! I even had my first spin out ever, quite the experience!

The Locator, you missed out!

Here's the obligatory Yaris-cam-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWqGzA_yZag

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Podothehobbit posted:

So took the Yaris out for the first time since the turbo install. It was a very fun course and we had a huge turnout! I even had my first spin out ever, quite the experience!

The Locator, you missed out!

Here's the obligatory Yaris-cam-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWqGzA_yZag

Wanted to go, but just wasn't in the cards for this weekend.

Nice video, but dump the music so we can hear sweet Yaris turbo noises.

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

The Locator posted:

Wanted to go, but just wasn't in the cards for this weekend.

Nice video, but dump the music so we can hear sweet Yaris turbo noises.

Haha the camera picked up nothing but wind.....I need a good camera that actually picks up poo poo :downs:

Also did you have anything to do with the new novice designation that was put on cars right next to the run group? Seemed to help a lot of the newbies out.

Conelrad fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Nov 21, 2011

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Podothehobbit posted:

Haha the camera picked up nothing but wind.....I need a good camerashotgun mic that actually picks up poo poo :downs:

fixt :unsmigghh:

So how much power is the Yaris putting down now? Does it feel very different?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

fixt :unsmigghh:

So how much power is the Yaris putting down now? Does it feel very different?

I wonder if the GoPro has semi decent pickup. As for HP numbers, i'm pulling about 175whp now, not too shabby for a 1.4 liter motor I figure.

• Locked thread