Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*
Just pick doom, aka better iron man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Right. With the Doom buffs and the Iron Man nerfs, Unibeam assist no longer justifies his existance on any team.

Sadly. :qq:

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming
Latverian technology reigns supreme.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
Time for Tony to start working on some Doombuster armor.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Metrohunter posted:

"Don't think I've forgotten what happened at Camelot!"

Comic nerds: What actually happened at Camelot? Inquiring minds want to know

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Metrohunter posted:

That reminds me. They should have given Ironman a new DLC alt. Galactus-Buster Iron Man would have looked badass.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

They should just give him hulk buster armor and have another really slow character with super armor on some of his moves and maybe give him a token air dash.

He could be called worse hulk.

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Vengarr posted:

Iron man and Doom get sent back in time to King Arthur where Doom teams up with Morgan le Fay and Tony teams up with Arthur. They fight. Then they make a truce in order to return to the present.

And they called it "Doomquest".

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

Vengarr posted:

They were punching eachother in the present and then Doom accidentally brought them back in time. Then they started punching eachother in Camelot.

Also Doom's armor is his dead lover from Camelot.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.

Dosvidanya posted:

They should just give him hulk buster armor and have another really slow character with super armor on some of his moves and maybe give him a token air dash.

He could be called worse hulk.

I think the airdash alone would make him better than Hulk.

FauxCyclops
Feb 25, 2007

I'm the man who killed Hostess. Now, say my name.
Some dude added me the other day after I posted in this and my NZ fighting games forum with my gamertag. He joined a lobby with me and a local, said something like "Hurrwuwhh you actually use MODOK? :downs:" and then soundly lost the match to the Scientist Supreme and left the lobby. His voice was really deep and goony and American-accented so I assume it was one of you hosers.

Who was it? :argh:

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Metrohunter posted:

I think the airdash alone would make him better than Hulk.

Not helping Tron Bonne :smith:

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan
Another few hours logged online. The number one thing people are doing is spamming an attack that is most rewarding - that's been Nova's overhead dive charge deal, Spider-Man web zipping into crouching lights, any of the big guys I mentioned before and Strider's teleport. Oddly enough, not a lot of vergils so far, hardly any akumas or ryus (beam spam xfactor beam spam is probably the most deadly thing online still).

Nova in particular puzzles me. These people know well his combos but all they do is jump, dive attack into OTG. I block it and think "well I heard he takes forever to recover I'll just hit light att- huh, it got blocked." Is it suppose to be punishable? It looks like it takes forever to recover but the only times I reach him is when I dash under the dive and get a sliding kick with Deadpool. Few people cover themselves with assists so if it is, latency either makes it impossible or I just need better timing.

I'm on the goon PS3 sheet and I don't mind going up against skilled goons. Was watching Filipino Champ play online earlier, but he quit pretty quickly and claimed that it was worse than vanillas. :(

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I played around a bit with Deadpool's improved bolo and I really like it. Superjump, throw a bolo at someone who is jumping, and now you can connect a quick work H into a full combo with no problem at all (it was a tough link before if it was even possible off of a superjump, now enemies bounce longer after getting hit with the bolo in the air). I think this may be a bigger buff for him than the guns teleport cancel.

I think you can actually get really good at marvel in the training room. Learning combos is a given but you pretty much have to spend some time learning setups and resets if you want to have a chance at winning. Also, I turned the CPU on very hard and sparred with it a little today and I think that helps a lot, especially when you're learning a new character. If you spend a little time fighting the computer you learn how to attack from any area on the screen so that you're not standing there like a jackass waiting to get murdered when you fight a person. Obviously real matches are better but the CPU is better than nothing and you can play against it as long as you want.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Niddhogg posted:

They were punching eachother in the present and then Doom accidentally brought them back in time. Then they started punching eachother in Camelot.

Also Doom's armor is his dead lover from Camelot.

So it's kind of like Spencer's arm?

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

Jmcrofts posted:

Not helping Tron Bonne :smith:

:unsmigghh:

Pretty much.

That Which Squeaks
Aug 28, 2006

"Good. Use your aggressive feelings, boy. Let the hate flow through you."
-Bill Belichick
Really digging CrossCounter and the production values, we got a pre-Winners Finals interview with Yipes and Fanatiq.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Revitalized posted:

So it's kind of like Spencer's arm?

We don't talk about dreadlock Spencer anymore.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Jmcrofts posted:

I'm not sure why it bothers you so much that Iron Man can't do cr.lmhs. He can do cr.l l l m s, so what's the difference?

Damage and hitstun scaling, for one, but it's also a philosophical thing cause I wish Tony didn't suck.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

But they're the same Spencer. :v:

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
In Amaterasu's beginner BNB combo from the guide, I'm supposed to go from an aerial Head Charge H then land and combo into a standing M. The trouble is, aerial Head Charge H causes hard knockdown and standing M doesn't hit OTG. Am I supposed to wait for the opponent to roll from the hard knockdown and then hit with standing M, or am I doing something wrong?

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.
So can anyone give me some tips for fighting virgil?

The real problems i have with him is his teleport and his stinger.

I mean, I basically have to guess which direction to block, and then just block after he teleports, because if I guess wrong, im comboed. If i guess right, there is still a 50% chance hes gonna hit me anyways because of im playing online. There are times when I guess right, dash to the position he will exit the teleport, hit my crouching light, and he still beats me to the punch. This seems... unfair to me

His stinger is also a problem. It hits completely full screen, takes what feels like about 2 frames to connect, and leads to a wallbounce, which leads to a full combo.

Im also a huge noob, so this little loop my friend does also fucks me over. He does the launch/strong loop and just spams it if i block. Then I pushblock him out of range. He then stingers. If the stinger misses or is blocked, he can instantly go back into the launcher/strong loop again. Even if i pushblock, jump over the stinger, and try to launch my own attack, the recovery is too fast and I eat a full combo.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

If you don't want to deal with his crossups, try jumping :shobon:

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Until that DLC hits, it's the only Spencer we can talk about :colbert:

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Millions posted:

In Amaterasu's beginner BNB combo from the guide, I'm supposed to go from an aerial Head Charge H then land and combo into a standing M. The trouble is, aerial Head Charge H causes hard knockdown and standing M doesn't hit OTG. Am I supposed to wait for the opponent to roll from the hard knockdown and then hit with standing M, or am I doing something wrong?
It causes ground bounce, not hard knockdown. You can still hit them when you land as they bounce off the ground.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Sade posted:

Damage and hitstun scaling, for one, but it's also a philosophical thing cause I wish Tony didn't suck.

The hitstun scaling is irrelevant because your ground and air hitstun are stored differently, meaning no matter how many L's you do, once you launch it doesn't matter.

The damage scaling is also kind of a non-issue because you're using the same number of hits to confirm if you only do 2 cr.l's, so they get the same amount of scaling. All you really lose is the difference in damage between a cr.l and a cr.h.

I want iron man to be good too, but seriously not being able to do abcs has 0 impact on how good he is, you should worry about other things.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?

iPodschun posted:

It causes ground bounce, not hard knockdown. You can still hit them when you land as they bounce off the ground.

Ah, I'm still a newbie obviously, thanks for the info. I don't seem to be landing in time to hit during the bounce, I'll try to work on my timing.

Millions fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Nov 21, 2011

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Vengarr posted:

Right. With the Doom buffs and the Iron Man nerfs, Unibeam assist no longer justifies his existance on any team.

Sadly. :qq:

This isn't 100% true. The one vital difference between the two beams is that Iron Man's will leave a grounded opponent still grounded, meaning it has some obscure utility in that regard. As an example, Frank can start a combo while charging back and use Unibeam to combo into his H grabby zombie.

Anyway, I'm now putting some training room time into Nova, the character I thought I would enjoy the least out of the new 12, and he's pretty cool with his funny H fly H unfly H relaunch and everything (does this work on small characters midscreen? I couldn't get it on RR). I guess that's just how fighting games, especially the Marvel series, can be.

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Nov 21, 2011

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Jmcrofts posted:

The hitstun scaling is irrelevant because your ground and air hitstun are stored differently, meaning no matter how many L's you do, once you launch it doesn't matter.

The damage scaling is also kind of a non-issue because you're using the same number of hits to confirm if you only do 2 cr.l's, so they get the same amount of scaling. All you really lose is the difference in damage between a cr.l and a cr.h.

Did not know that about ground/air hitstun! Cool tidbit. I thought using light attacks scales damage more harshly than heavy attacks though? Maybe I just need to read up on UMVC3's damage scaling rules again.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Revitalized posted:

Until that DLC hits, it's the only Spencer we can talk about :colbert:

The worst part is that unless all tournament machines have the DLC, We're never going to see Combofiend with the Spencer he deserves. :(

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Millions posted:

Ah, I'm still a newbie obviously, thanks for the info. I don't seem to be landing in time to hit during the bounce, I'll try to work on my timing.
The first two combos in this video show what the ground bounce -> followup look like, so you get a better idea about how it works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2FNowhvc2Y

Razeam
Jul 13, 2004

Nya~

Sade posted:

Did not know that about ground/air hitstun! Cool tidbit. I thought using light attacks scales damage more harshly than heavy attacks though? Maybe I just need to read up on UMVC3's damage scaling rules again.

Damage is scaled per move based on the type of attack and current number of hits, so starting with a light attack doesn't hurt the entire combo.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Razeam posted:

Damage is scaled per move based on the type of attack and current number of hits, so starting with a light attack doesn't hurt the entire combo.
All attacks get scaled the same, but doing a bunch of light attacks at the beginning of a combo still hurts because scaling drops off pretty significantly pretty fast so you want to get those damaging hits in early while they still hurt (comparatively speaking).

For a really oversimplified example, do a basic LMHS j.MMHS and then MHS j.MMHS and take a look at the damage difference.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

It doesn't hurt people that are going to get 100+ hits in a combo so much as it does hurt people who are going to get 13.

Nate405
Oct 21, 2002

Vengarr posted:

Oh my goodness, you don't need to Buktooth with Doom in order to be good anymore?

Are people finding the double foot-dive loop to be easier than Buktooth? I can hit the Buktooth loop pretty consistently but I'm having trouble with the double foot-dive loop even in training mode.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."
Been having fun messing around with Strider(dive kick thing)/Vigil(rapid slash)/Strange(bolts of ballsack), just teleport all over the place doing 50/50s into 1/2 life tons of fun. Then if they somehow manage to take out the first two they have to deal with Reading Rainbow.

Double Monocle posted:

The real problems i have with him is his teleport and his stinger.

If he is just teleporting after stinger or something with out an assist just mash and hit him, if you just figured out ohh he can call an assist and teleport behind me welcome to marvel.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Nate405 posted:

Are people finding the double foot-dive loop to be easier than Buktooth? I can hit the Buktooth loop pretty consistently but I'm having trouble with the double foot-dive loop even in training mode.
I can do the first part of Buktooth pretty easily (and then I usually just end it with a combo into sphere flame on the ground because my execution is rear end) and I'm just completely mystified by this new thing. I have no idea how people do it at all, let alone consistently.

Tetrakarn
Nov 1, 2011
On a doom-related note, can anyone tell me the functional difference between hard kick and his launcher? Honestly, Hard Kick just feels like its there to screw my combos up and do nothing that the launcher cant do.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The purpose of Hard Kick is for there to be a move that forces the voice actor to say "Hard Kick!!" all dramatically and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

It's a launcher you can dash cancel. I'm not sure about the utility of that but I assume you can backdash (and get hit) or maybe air dash afterwords??

• Locked thread