Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

There's currently a rerun on CreativeLIVE of Matthew Jordan Smith' live course, it's ongoing throughout the weekend. This is a head up for anyone that care. (I do!)

http://www.creativelive.com/live

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

McMadCow posted:

Printed this one tonight, same model.

Back to the Ocean by McMadCow, on Flickr

As you state 'inaccessible' is exactly how I'd describe your images, it's a good thing, many of your photos feel like they're taken from an film or a story book. A fragment of a narrative that the reader has no way of piecing together but it makes them all the more intriguing none-the-less. Your models don't seek to be beautiful (though they are) and through that and the mix of haunting, often unnerving posing, the covered or hidden faces and the frightened or piercing expressions comes a want to know more and see more.

Now excuse me I'm going to put on a beret and watch Breathless while wanking to a Smiths album.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

Pretty much me IRL.

thanks, BTW :)

McMadCow fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Nov 12, 2011

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Have you thought about putting together a narrative? I think that could be really cool.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".
Playing with movements and processing (crosspost from SAD):

IMG_3073 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_3008 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_3006 by avoyer, on Flickr

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.

Cyberbob posted:

Our biggest photo project to date.. 7 models of various experience (one's been doing it for 5 years, one's been doing it for 3 weeks), and multiple makeup artists.

Talk about a crazy weekend of shooting.

Each person was shot with the same lighting set up for consistency. I wanted something straight on so it'd be the same for all, and this was the most interesting I could come up with.

FYI, the wife just wrote up the "Behind the Scenes" for this shoot.

http://blogs.mczany.com/

Some day we'll invest in a decent SLR w/ video and get some cool BTS vids out of it.

Cyberbob fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Nov 14, 2011

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Got a chance to hang out with a 135L and put some clicks on the new 5D2 today. (Soz for the spam)

Sorry for the long post. I'm excited to get some time with the new camera.

Elite Taco fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Nov 15, 2011

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

Elite Taco posted:

Got a chance to hang out with a 135L and put some clicks on the new 5D2 today. (Soz for the spam)

Sorry for the long post. I'm excited to get some time with the new camera.

Like I said to PIMM, I'm glad someone is photographing us redheads, we're slowly dying out :haw:

The color and tone for these is really nice, they all compliment her hair colour and provide a soft pleasant feel. To critique:
In the first I feel like her movement should obligate negative space to the left of frame rather than the right, and so my eye has trouble keeping with her.
The second I feel she's a little too central, and has too much headroom, perhaps try cropping it so the bridge rail to the left of frame leads our eye towards her? Or the right, though again, negative space to compliment facing and movement.
The image by the fountain is stellar, love the way the solid dark green of the background contrasts with her hair and draws us to it, good job balancing the composition with the orange flare there, I think it completes the image nicely.

Assuming they're not natural how do you create your flares? Particularly interested in how you get them looking so soft, mine (+brightness or +exp Grad filter in LR) inevitably just look too grainy, washed out and 'digital' to be usable.

XTimmy fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Nov 14, 2011

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

The 2nd to last one is really nice, especially in terms of body language and expression. Isn't the 135 the best? :D They all look great though on some the composition is a bit off (side cut off, feet cut off etc), also the armpit one is a little awkward.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

nonanone posted:

Have you thought about putting together a narrative? I think that could be really cool.

I've done some sets with a recurring theme, but only tried to tackle the narrative thing once. I wasn't terribly pleased at how the narrative aspect of it turned out, but I did get a few keeper shots that worked stand-alone. I should probably try it again some time...

McMadCow fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 14, 2011

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

XTimmy posted:

Like I said to PIMM, I'm glad someone is photographing us redheads, we're slowly dying out :haw:

The color and tone for these is really nice, they all compliment her hair colour and provide a soft pleasant feel. To critique:
In the first I feel like her movement should obligate negative space to the left of frame rather than the right, and so my eye has trouble keeping with her.
The second I feel she's a little too central, and has too much headroom, perhaps try cropping it so the bridge rail to the left of frame leads our eye towards her? Or the right, though again, negative space to compliment facing and movement.
The image by the fountain is stellar, love the way the solid dark green of the background contrasts with her hair and draws us to it, good job balancing the composition with the orange flare there, I think it completes the image nicely.

Assuming they're not natural how do you create your flares? Particularly interested in how you get them looking so soft, mine (+brightness or +exp Grad filter in LR) inevitably just look too grainy, washed out and 'digital' to be usable.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll mess around with the editing and incorporate your thoughts and see how they look. I especially like the point you make about negative space in the direction she's facing.

The lens flares are legit. I am pretty :effort: about hoods, and the 135 has a giant front element right up at the face of the lens.

I'll work on these a bit tonight.

nonanone posted:

The 2nd to last one is really nice, especially in terms of body language and expression. Isn't the 135 the best? :D They all look great though on some the composition is a bit off (side cut off, feet cut off etc), also the armpit one is a little awkward.

I think my wallet is about to get punched about 135L times. I'll look through them again tonight and see how they look when it's not 1AM. :)

sw1gger
Sep 19, 2004
meowcakes

xenilk posted:

Playing with movements and processing (crosspost from SAD):

IMG_3073 by avoyer, on Flickr

Care to indulge me as to how you get that thing so flowy? Is that post work?

EvilRic
May 18, 2007

come have a nice cup of tea!
I love the sound of the 135L and it's had some great reviews, but don't you have to stand on the other side of a street to get a picture of someone with it?

I can understand it would be handy for sneaky long distance street shots and when you're in big open spaces but i assume it would be a bit useless in most indoor settings? Or am I overestimating its reach?

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
No. On a ff camera it is a back the gently caress up lens. It is also amazing. On a crop you'll be better off with an 84/1.8 cause you would be 20+ feet away for full body shots.

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

Elite Taco posted:

No. On a ff camera it is a back the gently caress up lens. It is also amazing. On a crop you'll be better off with an 84/1.8 cause you would be 20+ feet away for full body shots.

One important thing to note is while, yes, you will have to be very far from the subject for a full body shot, the 135mm will compress the background a lot more than the 84mm. It also flattens the shapes a bit more. It's all about the angle of view.

http://www.learnmyshot.com/Telephoto+Lens+Perspective+Compression+and+the+Angle+of+View

Sometimes, it's worth being 20 meters from your subject depending on what you shoot against.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
84 is the perfect number of millimeters :colbert: Man, I'm tired and iPhone typing isn't my best skill.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Well I mean the discounted and rare 84L is one of the best lenses for portraits. If you've got one of those you definitely don't need a 135.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Here's a Brenizer Method attempt from last night:

I used the 135L instead of the 84 on this one.

Elite Taco fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Nov 15, 2011

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

I know she's not quite chopped at the joints, but your cropping at her arms looks pretty awkward to me. Probably because of how her pose forms a triangle. We look and see it terminating where there's arm.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
^^ I agree. I can't get the stitching to work for the extra frames. :( I have 100+ frames of the whole scene, but I must have shifted the camera or something cause beyond this crop I get a discontinuity in her arm and then things start to distort :(

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
That took 100 frames? I barely know what I'm doing and can get a decent Breznier effect happening with about 20 shots, and that includes full body and surrounds!

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
No, that's only 20 or so.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I was thinking about that whole Breznier thing. For the amount of trouble and time it takes, you might as well use a medium format camera, send the film in then sit back and relax while some lab dude does the work.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
The best way to get medium format type effects is to shoot medium format. We have a thread over here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3191750 :smug:

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

sw1gger posted:

Care to indulge me as to how you get that thing so flowy? Is that post work?

I had an assistant throw the veil up in the air :) I wish I'd done it in a more open space but it's pretty easy to pull off pretty much anywhere, as long as you have someone ready to help (and patient, very patient!)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
This is my first time posting in this thread, but I had a shoot with one of my go-to models the other day. It was in the pitch-black woods and all I brought was my Bronica SQ-Ai w/ 80mm 2.8 lens, a roll of Portra 400, and one old Canon Speedlite. I also didn't have my light meter so I have to guesstimate and pray.

So, all in all I'm happy with the images I got, but feel like the post production is lacking a bit. That's where I'd like some tips.

Handful of Stars by iantuten, on Flickr

In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion by iantuten, on Flickr

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

Elite Taco posted:

^^ I agree. I can't get the stitching to work for the extra frames. :( I have 100+ frames of the whole scene, but I must have shifted the camera or something cause beyond this crop I get a discontinuity in her arm and then things start to distort :(

Just take it in a little tighter and liquify that tricep in.

Cross_
Aug 22, 2008

QPZIL posted:

So, all in all I'm happy with the images I got, but feel like the post production is lacking a bit. That's where I'd like some tips.
Any ideas where you want to go with the images? Since it's night time I would suggest shifting the white balance to blue for either the entire image or just for the background. A blue photo filter in Photoshop would do nicely for that.
The hard shadow of her nose in the second image is quite distracting.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

QPZIL posted:

Handful of Stars by iantuten, on Flickr

In the Shadow of Our Pale Companion by iantuten, on Flickr

I think the lighting is too harsh in #1 and the shadow from the nose in #2 is killing it for me. I agree with Cross that both need a change in white balance because I don't really like the color in either, but I am not sure I'd make it colder.. I don't really like the blues in your first image... I'd get rid of the blue completely. Also I'm not a big fan of the double exposure in the first one, but getting rid of the blue might help.

I did a photoshoot at night once a couple years ago and I had pretty similar results:

Pumpkin Patch 2 by Myotomy, on Flickr

I didn't really enjoy processing the shot, just because of my limitations to light the scene with just two strobes... and you only had one to work with. It was way too "contrasty" to really play around with. If I could do this particular shoot again, I would have taken a long exposure of just the scene with no flash added, so I have a good base to work with, then I'd layer in the elements on top of that and blend it to fit nicely.

Also the model made me put in that watermark, no hating allowed!

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
It's family portrait session season GO GO GO.

Katarena
Nov 13, 2011
My friend gave me permission to post this up here for some feedback. It was taken really on-the-moment when he was naturally positioned like this and I was sitting next to him in a shopping centre where we were eating dessert during a friends' birthday celebration. Minimal editing, only colour curves and desaturation.

Sigma 30mm f/1.4 on my Pentax K-r.

Yay! I finally worked out how to do the click through links!

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Fuji fp-3000b45

Katarena posted:

My friend gave me permission to post this up here for some feedback. It was taken really on-the-moment when he was naturally positioned like this and I was sitting next to him in a shopping centre where we were eating dessert during a friends' birthday celebration. Minimal editing, only colour curves and desaturation.
I like the undulating line staring with the outline of the face, I would burn the shadows in until the face is minimized, and boost the brightness on the top of the hand a bit.

365 Nog Hogger fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Nov 20, 2011

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

I was a backup shooter (mostly helping with equipment and guiding/fixing models) today but I managed to grab a few shots:

IMG_3564 by avoyer, on Flickr

IMG_3604 by avoyer, on Flickr

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
You are a raging monster of awesome. You're also the primary reason I've started using more split toning. Those are great!

IsaacNewton
Jun 18, 2005

Xenilk will be stealing my thunder (as he should, sweet rear end set he was on there!)

But here's my wife's youngest ready for sleepy times.

Emilie, Prête a dormir by Maxime Theriault, on Flickr

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

xenilk posted:

IMG_3604 by avoyer, on Flickr

This is the best photo you've shown here yet. I would do an exposure adjustment on the top part where the light falls off (a gradient would work perfect) but you may not want to even it out. Great photo.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Had a workshop today, this is once I snapped while she was posing for the teacher. It's amazing what you can do at 6400 ISO.

It's also amazing what a difference working with a model who knows how to dress, how to pose and a make up artist who does a good job. Aside from curves, minor exposure adjustments and some very light split toning, I've done nothing to these shots.

It'd be so nice to photograph pretty people all the time.

psylent fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Nov 21, 2011

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

psylent posted:

Had a workshop today, this is once I snapped while she was posing for the teacher. It's amazing what you can do at 6400 ISO.

It's also amazing what a difference working with a model who knows how to dress, how to pose and a make up artist who does a good job. Aside from curves, minor exposure adjustments and some very light split toning, I've done nothing to these shots.

It'd be so nice to photograph pretty people all the time.
The bridal one looks like a tad under, I feel like that dress and the highlights on her face should be a great deal brighter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

XTimmy posted:

The bridal one looks like a tad under, I feel like that dress and the highlights on her face should be a great deal brighter.

Agreed, there's no real true white point in the image. The other one's got a good tonal range though.