Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

I'm just asking out of curiosity rather than trying to replicate this sound myself, but how does Tobacco from Black Moth Super Rainbow get that vocoder tone? Is it a specific technique or setting? He doesn't sound like anyone else I've heard on vocoder and the sound is unusually "natural". For reference, here's Sun Lips from Dandelion Gum, which is where he started sounding like that. Also here's a Tobacco track Heavy Makeup with some varied vocoder tones, though I'm not sure if they're all vocoded or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geb
Mar 22, 2007

A Crystal Sword?! I'm all about swords! How did you know?!
I'm looking to buy a volume pedal for my guitar (Telecaster, so passive PUs) and will be running it through other effect pedals (delay, fuzz, etc). For this setup would it be better to go with a low or high impedance volume pedal? Sorry if this has already been asked, but 49 pages is a lot to go through to check.

RossMan4Life
Dec 18, 2002

by R. Guyovich
I'm a beginner with the spanish guitar and love the thing to death, but I'd like a tiny acoustic stringed instrument (I'm thinking ukulele) to drag around with me all the time. Since I'm just starting with stringed instruments and this will be going places, I'd rather get a sorta low-end ukulele in case I accidentally do something very dumb with it. I see that they're really cheap on the low-end, but I wouldn't mind dropping up to around a hundred.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a decent ukulele or other small stringed instrument? Should I get a case? Do ukulele styles vary enough that I need to be concerned with fitting?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I got a Lanikai LU-21 for about $40, and was really impressed with its playability. I definitely recommend it. I'm a guitarist and I did get the thing just for fun, and it's sort of perfect for that - just taking it around places and having a good time on it. Learn a couple of songs and folks seem to find it delightful.

Soup in a Bag
Dec 4, 2009

RossMan4Life posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a decent ukulele or other small stringed instrument? Should I get a case? Do ukulele styles vary enough that I need to be concerned with fitting?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2690439 is the thread for you.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
Reduced size Spanish guitars are fun too. A 1/2 size fits in a smallish suitcase or kitbag for travel, and the sound is actually quite nice. Snappier sounding than a normal size nylonstring, and the neck feels more comfortable to those used to steelstrings or electrics.

RossMan4Life
Dec 18, 2002

by R. Guyovich

Soup in a Bag posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2690439 is the thread for you.
Thanks for the link, but I stumbled on it via Google a little after posting. This just goes to show it's high time I upgrade my SA account.

Underflow, I'm not too keen on steelstrings though I know I'll have to get an electric for blues down the road, so I'll keep an eye out for reduced size guitars. Portability is always good and I'm coming to realize that one cannot own enough instruments.

My buddy gave me his Rogue soprano uke. Not top notch, but I couldn't argue with the price. Goddamn, this thing is a blast. I feel like the king of barre chords! Makes me curious about tenor ukes though, a little extra fretboard would be nice when I'm not as concerned with size. Unfortunately, the local store only had one uke in, it was a Lanikai LU-21 which sounded and looked great, but they were asking $90. Thanks to Manky's suggestion, I knew it was a poor deal!

Thanks for the help guys!

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:

Tre Past Cool! posted:

I'm just asking out of curiosity rather than trying to replicate this sound myself, but how does Tobacco from Black Moth Super Rainbow get that vocoder tone? Is it a specific technique or setting? He doesn't sound like anyone else I've heard on vocoder and the sound is unusually "natural". For reference, here's Sun Lips from Dandelion Gum, which is where he started sounding like that. Also here's a Tobacco track Heavy Makeup with some varied vocoder tones, though I'm not sure if they're all vocoded or not.

The vocals on "Sun Lips" are using a typical vocoder effect. I couldn't tell you what hardware or plugin but it's recognizable as a vocoder.

Now the effects on that "Heavy Makeup" song are getting more extensive and although there is the regular robot vocoder, there is also some other stuff going on by the sound of it. If I had to guess, downpitching (with some higher grade tuner like Melodyne and not a typical pitch bending tool). Also TC Helicon makes some vocal processing hardware that can get those half-robot like effects. As well, at times you can hear the clean vocals layered ontop his effected vox which creates a good illusion.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Do goons do collaborations around here? Surely there must be a thread for it, but I haven't seen it. I was looking to make a few for some 80s metal.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
How do I go about shipping musical equipment without damaging it? Just a shitload of bubble wrap?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

What is it?

NTT posted:

Do goons do collaborations around here? Surely there must be a thread for it, but I haven't seen it. I was looking to make a few for some 80s metal.

There are sometimes collaborations for the Rockstar threads, I'm sure I saw some general one somewhere... can't hurt to make a thread anyway!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

baka kaba posted:

What is it?

M-Audio Axiom 49. I no longer have the box it came in, and I'm concerned with all the knobs and whatnot that stick out.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Boxes get thrown the gently caress around and heavier boxes thrown on top of them, so just be careful to pack your box really well. Get a decent size so it isn't touching the sides, and maybe packing peanuts are the way to go - or a lot of bubble wrap, so it's all secure. Plan for the worst, basically

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Bubble wrap AND packing peanuts. Maybe even reinforce the corners of the boxes somehow.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
I've found lots of balled up newspaper works really well. If when it's closed, you shake it, and nothing movies around, it's secure. And of course, make sure none of the actual product touches any of the sides of the box.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

codyclarke posted:

I've found lots of balled up newspaper works really well. If when it's closed, you shake it, and nothing movies around, it's secure. And of course, make sure none of the actual product touches any of the sides of the box.

Eh I dunno about that, you'd need to ball it up pretty tight so it doesn't have much give. You have to be willing to jump on the box when you're done, because that's effectively what's gonna happen to it

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

baka kaba posted:

Eh I dunno about that, you'd need to ball it up pretty tight so it doesn't have much give. You have to be willing to jump on the box when you're done, because that's effectively what's gonna happen to it

I don't think Ace Venutra is gonna be delivering my packages...

And yeah, you've gotta ball it up pretty tight. But it does do a good job. And it's a good way to get rid of old newspapers, or sections you don't read.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Well I mean I've done a temp shift loading one of those trailers before, it comes up on the conveyor so fast that stuff ends up getting hurled, with other very heavy boxes ending up on top. They're meant to go near the bottom, but expediency calls and all that

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
Anyone know of an ear training site or program that features identification of seventh chord inversions which also allows an arpeggiated mode? I need to practice for an exam and the only ones I can find online are either root position or only allow the harmonic chord. Specifically I need major seventh, minor seventh, minor seven flat 5, minor major 7, dominant seventh, and dominant 7 sus. While I'm at it I'll also mention that any tips on this would be great, I did well last year but now that we've incorporated inversions and dictation I'm failing the course.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

MoosetheMooche posted:

Anyone know of an ear training site or program that features identification of seventh chord inversions which also allows an arpeggiated mode? I need to practice for an exam and the only ones I can find online are either root position or only allow the harmonic chord. Specifically I need major seventh, minor seventh, minor seven flat 5, minor major 7, dominant seventh, and dominant 7 sus. While I'm at it I'll also mention that any tips on this would be great, I did well last year but now that we've incorporated inversions and dictation I'm failing the course.

I love this thing and I think it does what you're asking unless I'm getting the wrong idea:
http://www.iwasdoingallright.com/tools/ear_training/main/

SSJ2 Goku Wilders
Mar 24, 2010
How do I know when I've used enough fretboard conditioner?

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

SSJ2 Goku Wilders posted:

How do I know when I've used enough fretboard conditioner?

When it stops soaking in. I cover the whole fretboard and leave it rest for a while, then come back and touch up any dry spots, then repeat until no more obvious dry areas appear and then buff the remainder away.

seigfox
Dec 2, 2005

Just an average guy who serves as an average hero.
I'd be eternally grateful to anyone who can tell me what this is and where I can buy one.

It was being sold on craigslist but the guy sold it before I could get in contact with him. The ad said it was a Matsumoku but the guy told me it had Antares on the head. I've searched around but I can't find anything that looks like this. I'm stumped.

aarontxwl
Apr 21, 2003

If anyone has any experience with licensing and royalties, I have a quick question. My little electro/house project (http://soundcloud.com/modelduo) isn't taking off by any means but we MAY be able to get a song on like a lovely mtv/vh1 reality show. My friend who I collaborate with on this project says we need to associate ourselves with BMI or ASCAP because our royalties get tracked through one of those. I've heard for instrumental poo poo that we are really only looking at TV for, BMI is the way to go.

Does anyone have any experience with licensing and royalties that has figured out whether BMI or ASCAP is better?

revolther
May 27, 2008

seigfox posted:

I'd be eternally grateful to anyone who can tell me what this is and where I can buy one.

It was being sold on craigslist but the guy sold it before I could get in contact with him. The ad said it was a Matsumoku but the guy told me it had Antares on the head. I've searched around but I can't find anything that looks like this. I'm stumped.

Hey there, I won't be completely helpful, but I'll try. If you mean the standard LP body but hollow with f holes, rather than oversized body of a 335 or 175, they usually are sold as Les Paul Florentine's or Semi-hollow elites, but are rare or were. Guitar fetish has affordable florentine LP's in stock usually, not sure if they have that sexy natural wood finish though.

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't it pretty to think so.

RandomCheese posted:

When it stops soaking in. I cover the whole fretboard and leave it rest for a while, then come back and touch up any dry spots, then repeat until no more obvious dry areas appear and then buff the remainder away.

How necessary are fretboard conditioners? I ask because I've never used them before out of a fear of damaging the natural finish of my guitars, and also because I have a deep and abiding cynicism towards guitar accessory products.

If there's a compelling reason to use them though I'd be interested in learning more.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
If you want your fretboard to stay in good condition for any meaningful number of years, you should give it some attention. Assuming it's not a lacquered maple board, it is an unfinished piece of wood subject to humidity changes.

The Mystery Date
Aug 2, 2005
STRAGHT FOOL IN A GAY POOL (MUPPETS ROCK)
I've had one guitar for seven years, never used any kind of substance on the fretboard, and the rosewood looks good as new. Every now and then when I change strings I run over it with a credit card to clean off any buildup (I also wipe down the guitar body with a soft cloth). I feel like the small amount of oil in your fingers is probably enough to keep the wood from drying out and cracking as long as you play it with any frequency. People are able to sell these products because their effects are supposed to be long term, so you can't possibly know if its doing anything but hey, "you'll thank yourself later!". Yeah, sure.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Mandals posted:

If there's a compelling reason to use them though I'd be interested in learning more.

The maintenance issue primarily (it gets done with every string change) as it cleans any accumulated debris away, and all my fretboards are rosewood so using fretboard conditioner leaves them dark and glossy which is a nice benefit. It also improves the feel when playing, the times when my fingertips brush the fretboard they glide and don't catch on any errant dry grain. I don't like using lemon oil because it leaves the fretboard "squeaky" when touched and doesn't feel as smooth, also I don't think lemony-fresh is the most suited odour to the music I play.

SSJ2 Goku Wilders
Mar 24, 2010
This is a 20+ year old guitar (and neck). I have no idea how the neck was treated before I got the guitar. The fretboard had a dull white satin to it and the tiny cracks in the wood looked dry as heck.

It looked like a deeper/darker, 'healthier' wood after I cleaned it and applied the oil. That is all I know.

Thank you for the information

DrChu
May 14, 2002

seigfox posted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Les-Paul-HO...1#ht_500wt_1076

Made in the late 70s/early 80s in the Matsumoku factory in Japan, you'll just need to keep an eye out for a used one.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

seigfox posted:

Not exactly the same, but...
http://www.guitarfetish.com/XV-550-Series-SOLID-Carved-Maple-Semi-Hollow-Highly-Figured-Quilt-Tops_c_181.html
The Xaviere XV-550 has that sexy natural top.
http://www.guitarfetish.com/XV-560-SOLID-Maple-Top-Semi-Hollowbody-Alnico-P90s_c_187.html
The XV-560 has that natural top and P90s.

This make you happy?

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011

baka kaba posted:

I love this thing and I think it does what you're asking unless I'm getting the wrong idea:
http://www.iwasdoingallright.com/tools/ear_training/main/

That's exactly what I needed, plus it has an option to download it to work offline. Awesome! Thanks a million buddy, I only wish I asked for help earlier 'cause my exam is in a couple days.

SSJ2 Goku Wilders
Mar 24, 2010
My guitar has a nick in the paint where my tremolo's (floyd) back treble-side edge meets the wood of the body, deep enough for me to see the wood. I had seen it when first buying the guitar and had forgotten about it, up until my rediscovery of it today.

If possible, I'd like to control current and prevent further damage. How do you deal with stuff like this? Do I even have to bother doing anything with it?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Check the studs. Next time you restring, take the trem off and make sure they're spaced correctly and drilled in at the right angle. Since I seem to remember you having an RG570, you probably have a Lo-Pro Edge, right? If you try raising or lowering the studs, make sure they aren't locked down, if you aren't already aware of that.

SSJ2 Goku Wilders
Mar 24, 2010

Pretentious Turtle posted:

Check the studs. Next time you restring, take the trem off and make sure they're spaced correctly and drilled in at the right angle. Since I seem to remember you having an RG570, you probably have a Lo-Pro Edge, right? If you try raising or lowering the studs, make sure they aren't locked down, if you aren't already aware of that.

It's a 450S (original Edge, not the Lo Pro), and funnily enough, I had toyed around with the actual position of the bridge on the studs. The knife edges as I guess they're called were resting above the nice little cut-ins in the studs. I raised the studs up and moved the entire thing down closer into the body. After-the-fact, it definitely seems like it was supposed to work like that in the first place! I feel really stupid now.

The damage was there when I bought the guitar though. I don't abuse the Floyd enough to get anywhere close to doing whatever caused the damage. The bridge is now resting perfectly on the studs and that all looks fine. Is there anything I should do to treat the damage itself? Scrape off any damaged wood and fill it up or something?

Thanks a lot for the reply.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer
Is there a thread/resource where people post their music workspaces (primarily computer/keyboard/synth related)? I'm running out of space on my regular desk and need some inspiration on how to adapt to this situation.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

SSJ2 Goku Wilders posted:

It's a 450S (original Edge, not the Lo Pro), and funnily enough, I had toyed around with the actual position of the bridge on the studs. The knife edges as I guess they're called were resting above the nice little cut-ins in the studs. I raised the studs up and moved the entire thing down closer into the body. After-the-fact, it definitely seems like it was supposed to work like that in the first place! I feel really stupid now.

The damage was there when I bought the guitar though. I don't abuse the Floyd enough to get anywhere close to doing whatever caused the damage. The bridge is now resting perfectly on the studs and that all looks fine. Is there anything I should do to treat the damage itself? Scrape off any damaged wood and fill it up or something?

Thanks a lot for the reply.

You can drop fill the poly finishes on modern guitars with super glue. You want a medium viscosity type and put a drop on the spot that needs built up and let it dry. Repeat until filled up the wet sand it flush and polish it.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Is there a simple way to find the tempo of an audio track? Using Ableton Live or some other method?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
There is probably a software method that can do it but I always just grab whatever metronome/synth is nearest to me that has a tap-tempo funtionality and tap it out using that.