Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
I don't have a postal scale, but on a balance, it seems to weigh as much as 28 playing cards. Google tells me that a full deck (52) weighs 3.3oz, so I'm guessing my mail weighs something like 1.5 - 2.5 oz. The USPS site says that this should cost $0.84.

My problem is that my stamps don't have a dollar value on them. They say "first class forever". Can I stick two or three on and assume that it's enough?

Fake-edit: Answered my own question. It looks like they're worth whatever it costs to send a first-class letter right now, so two of them are $0.88.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Why on earth don't all cans have pull-tabs? Half of my dog's food has the tab, the other half requires a clunky can-opener. Is there some advantage to the old-fashioned design? I can't imagine that it's significantly cheaper to manufacture, and it's certainly less convenient.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Where can I buy Dr. Bronner's Liquid Soap cheaply in Melbourne, Australia?

Also, what is the best way to use this stuff to wash myself in the shower? I currently just use the cheapest bar soap I can find in the supermarket and a flannel. I have been generally dissatisfied at various "body wash" stuff, but heaps of people reckon Dr. Bronner's stuff is amazing so I'm willing to give it a shot.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

TheGame posted:

I can't imagine that it's significantly cheaper to manufacture, and it's certainly less convenient.

Scoring the lid to be peelable but still not break the inner seal might very well be more expensive than just stamping a normal lid (of thicker material) onto a can.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

TheGame posted:

Why on earth don't all cans have pull-tabs? Half of my dog's food has the tab, the other half requires a clunky can-opener. Is there some advantage to the old-fashioned design? I can't imagine that it's significantly cheaper to manufacture, and it's certainly less convenient.

When you're churning out a million cans a year, saving 1 penny per can by not having the tab, for example, means making $10,000 extra. And the tab stuff probably costs more than a penny per can, but it's still a decent savings at a penny per can.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
What's the most hasslefree and reliable way to receive long-distance money w/o giving out personal info these days? I used to have a PP account, but when they forced non-US customers to use the european centre (then in the UK) quality of service dropped instantly.

Are things better now or is there a better alternative? I'm currently in France, if that makes a difference.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

Install Gentoo posted:

When you're churning out a million cans a year, saving 1 penny per can by not having the tab, for example, means making $10,000 extra. And the tab stuff probably costs more than a penny per can, but it's still a decent savings at a penny per can.
Ignoring the fact that $10k is probably so undiscernible in, say, Campbells' total costs in a year, you still have to consider the customer factor. Many people will consciously or subconsciously buy cans with tabs on them for the convenience factor, which will more than make up the penny(ies) the company spent on the tab. When I was in college for the first couple semesters I didn't have a can opener (I grew up with an easy electric one at home and didn't know how to use the hand-crank one; I still suck at them) so I only bought pull-tab ones. Thank God Chef Boyardee used tabs or I would have starved!

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
This is probably a long shot, but I just broke one of my favorite glasses and I'm so pissed. My aunt got it for me a antique store a long time ago and she can't remember what the name of the store was or even where it was. So, mayhaps is there someplace online I might be able to find this glass?

It's a profile and a a head-on etched picture of an SA-16 Albatross, with some gold inlay. Please help, goons.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

AlphaDog posted:

Where can I buy Dr. Bronner's Liquid Soap cheaply in Melbourne, Australia?

Also, what is the best way to use this stuff to wash myself in the shower? I currently just use the cheapest bar soap I can find in the supermarket and a flannel. I have been generally dissatisfied at various "body wash" stuff, but heaps of people reckon Dr. Bronner's stuff is amazing so I'm willing to give it a shot.
Amazon sells it.

It says to dilute it a ton, and lots of people do, but I just grab a full strength squirt from the refillable wall-mounted dispenser thing, shampoo with it, and use the suds to wash just like any other kind of soap.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Underflow posted:

What's the most hasslefree and reliable way to receive long-distance money w/o giving out personal info these days? I used to have a PP account, but when they forced non-US customers to use the european centre (then in the UK) quality of service dropped instantly.

Are things better now or is there a better alternative? I'm currently in France, if that makes a difference.

I don't fully understand your requirements, but Alertpay or Dwolla will probably help you out.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Gobbeldygook posted:

I don't fully understand your requirements, but Alertpay or Dwolla will probably help you out.

Thanks.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

A lot of people have avatars featuring cartoon ponies. What the heck is up with that?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

thegloaming posted:

A lot of people have avatars featuring cartoon ponies. What the heck is up with that?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2338

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

thegloaming posted:

My Little Pony. Ironic goon humor taken too far.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Thanks for clearing that up. I tried googling some custom titles a while back to see if they were quotes from some show (I figured it was only on the internet, but I guess cartoons use vector graphics nowadays) but couldn't find any.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Dominoes posted:

My Little Pony. Ironic goon humor taken too far.

Unfortunately It's not all ironic.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
German or Danish (or European in general) phone numbers.

I have a phone number that was read out as +12345678901 (11 digits). How is it supposed to be written, including any parentheses or hyphens?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Dudebro posted:

German or Danish (or European in general) phone numbers.

I have a phone number that was read out as +12345678901 (11 digits). How is it supposed to be written, including any parentheses or hyphens?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E.123

quote:

E.123 specifically recommends that:

only spaces be used to visually separate groups of numbers "unless an agreed upon explicit symbol (e.g. hyphen) is necessary for procedural purposes" in national notation.
only spaces should be used to visually separate groups of numbers in international notation.

In national notation, parentheses are used to indicate digits that are sometimes not dialled.

Parentheses should not be used in the international notation.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_conventions_for_writing_telephone_numbers

quote:

Denmark

Danish telephone numbers are 8 digits long, and normally written in four groups of two separated by spaces, AA AA AA AA. In recent years it has also become common to write them in two groups of four, AAAA AAAA

So:

+123 45 67 89 01 or
+123 4567 8901

skynix
Jul 6, 2005
I actually have two questions:

1. The chain on my bike keeps coming off when I ride above a certain speed and/or hit bumps. It's a cheap bike (a Huffy that I got at Walmart about 1.5 years ago), but I don't have enough money to buy a new one and need it to get to work. I've read that it might either be a problem with the sprocket in the back wheel or else I might need to tighten the chain somehow. I don't have any idea how to tell what the problem is, though! Any advice?

2. What's the cheapest way to get an eye exam and a decent pair of eyeglasses (w/o insurance)? There are like ten different stores in my town, and I can't decide what to go to and the Yelp Reviews have been really sparse other than warning me that places that will give you two pairs of glasses for $70 are a scam. I want a pair of glasses that will actually last a couple of years and that will look decent on me. One idea I had is to get the eye exam someplace cheap (like for instance the Eye Care place in Walmart) and then go "shopping" at a bunch of stores to look at frames and compare prices. Can you do that though? I don't know whether Walmart would release my prescription to anyone else, and I don't want to buy Walmart frames at all.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

skynix posted:

2. What's the cheapest way to get an eye exam and a decent pair of eyeglasses (w/o insurance)? There are like ten different stores in my town, and I can't decide what to go to and the Yelp Reviews have been really sparse other than warning me that places that will give you two pairs of glasses for $70 are a scam. I want a pair of glasses that will actually last a couple of years and that will look decent on me. One idea I had is to get the eye exam someplace cheap (like for instance the Eye Care place in Walmart) and then go "shopping" at a bunch of stores to look at frames and compare prices. Can you do that though? I don't know whether Walmart would release my prescription to anyone else, and I don't want to buy Walmart frames at all.

Get your eye exam done wherever it's cheap and ask for your prescription. Then just buy the lenses and frames online. There used to be an SAmart thread for a place that was good and crazy cheap. I'm sure someone with archives can dig it up.

skynix
Jul 6, 2005

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Get your eye exam done wherever it's cheap and ask for your prescription. Then just buy the lenses and frames online. There used to be an SAmart thread for a place that was good and crazy cheap. I'm sure someone with archives can dig it up.

Do you have any idea what the turnaround is for doing it that way? I broke my glasses by wrecking my bike and doing a faceplant, and I can get around without them but it gives me a headache and makes it harder to do things that require seeing long distances (such as riding my half-broken bike). So, I'd like glasses again as soon as possible.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

skynix posted:

Do you have any idea what the turnaround is for doing it that way? I broke my glasses by wrecking my bike and doing a faceplant, and I can get around without them but it gives me a headache and makes it harder to do things that require seeing long distances (such as riding my half-broken bike). So, I'd like glasses again as soon as possible.

I imagine that it depends a lot on your prescription, but I'll give you me as a baseline: I had an eye exam at Walmart on Thursday the 10th, got my full prescription plus my pupillary distance so that I could shop elsewhere, decided to get cheap glasses at Walmart anyway, and placed my order the same day. I picked up my new glasses on Saturday the 12th. I paid less than $90 for the procedure + glasses (and I got anti-scratch and anti-glare coatings on the lenses, too).

Plus, Walmart now has a 12-month no-questions-asked guarantee on their glasses, so if you step on them or get into a bike accident, they'll replace them flat-out for free. (According to the technician I talked to, anyway.)

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

skynix posted:

1. The chain on my bike keeps coming off when I ride above a certain speed and/or hit bumps. It's a cheap bike (a Huffy that I got at Walmart about 1.5 years ago), but I don't have enough money to buy a new one and need it to get to work. I've read that it might either be a problem with the sprocket in the back wheel or else I might need to tighten the chain somehow. I don't have any idea how to tell what the problem is, though! Any advice?

http://www.aoa.org

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
I was planning to buy this laser pointer until I read a random review with the following,

"Don't look directly at the beam even if you have it pointed at the wall as prolonged use could damage your eyesight."

If I were shining this against a wall is there a good chance of injuring myself? Obviously I won't be shining it in my face.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010

Pweller posted:

I was planning to buy this laser pointer until I read a random review with the following,

"Don't look directly at the beam even if you have it pointed at the wall as prolonged use could damage your eyesight."

If I were shining this against a wall is there a good chance of injuring myself? Obviously I won't be shining it in my face.

I'm curious why you need a laser pointer like this? These are made for specific purposes and are even banned in some countries. I suppose they're useful for something like signalling to someone in the great outdoors or doing experiments (although in that situation they would be considered too crude, I think).

I don't know what the definitive answer to your question is though. If you want to be extra cautious then I would suggest wearing safety glasses designed for that sort of protection if you are going to be playing around with it a lot.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I'm wondering why a large company needs in-house counsel and outside counsel? What would each group handle?

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

Dudebro posted:

I'm curious why you need a laser pointer like this? These are made for specific purposes and are even banned in some countries. I suppose they're useful for something like signalling to someone in the great outdoors or doing experiments (although in that situation they would be considered too crude, I think).

I don't know what the definitive answer to your question is though. If you want to be extra cautious then I would suggest wearing safety glasses designed for that sort of protection if you are going to be playing around with it a lot.

My plan was to get a can of phosphorescent paint, and 'draw' on it with a laser pointer. I figured that the green laser pointers might work better than a crummy red one, but maybe they're way overkill? I really have no idea about the relative power of the different pointers out there.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Pweller posted:

According to a mate of mine who works with lasers (he's a physicist of some sort), those super bright green laser pointers can permanently hurt your eyes if you look at the dot on a nearby wall. It's not a "definitely will", but it's a "don't risk this stupid poo poo".

We were wearing safety goggles of some sort when he was demonstrating this one he brought home from the lab. It could cut through plastic bags and stuff, and he was saying there were more powerful ones available on the net "as laser pointers", and although they would be illegal to own as a private citizen, it wouldn't be hard to get one.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
Red are pretty weak, but can easily damage your eye if pointed directly at it. I don't think they're nearly strong enough to damage eyes from being pointed at a wall. That's why they're acceptable for classroom and lecture use. Greens are quite powerful in comparison. They're used legitimately by astronomers to draw a line in the sky.

You may want to read the wikipedia article on laser pointers. It's going to be more accurate and informative than anything I have to say. It has some information on regulation in various countries at the end of the article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_pointer

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Uh, so in a very sad attempted to repair a boot using Shoe Goo (a polyurethane adhesive) I got it all over the boot and my bathroom floor. How can I get that poo poo off? I'm having a hard enough time getting off my loving hands.

Also is my boot hosed? It can easily be repaired by someone Not Stupid, I just need to get that drat adhesive off. Worthless stuff...

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

Uh, so in a very sad attempted to repair a boot using Shoe Goo (a polyurethane adhesive) I got it all over the boot and my bathroom floor. How can I get that poo poo off? I'm having a hard enough time getting off my loving hands.

Also is my boot hosed? It can easily be repaired by someone Not Stupid, I just need to get that drat adhesive off. Worthless stuff...

You can get stuff called De-Solv-It that's pretty loving good at getting adhesives off things. It should work on your floor, hands, and boots.

My girlfriend uses a different brand thing. It's got a blue label and an orange on the bottle and smells of citrus.

You can find both of these things in the cleaning product aisle at a supermarket.

Take your boot to a cobbler or a Mr. Minit or whatever your local place is that employs ex-convicts who fix shoes and cut keys. I have never successfully glued a boot back together.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Nov 21, 2011

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Danish and German phone numbers are not the same, what with there being a lot more Germans than Danes. But yeah, we use XX XX XX XX mostly, and say it as "fortytwo, eightynine eleventyfive zero one" or whatever with a real number. The +45 thing is only for international calls to Denmark.

skynix posted:

Pretty much all parts of a bike can be replaced, and once a year (depending how and how much you use it) you probably need to replace the chain. It's inevitable that it gets loose at some point. Go to a bikeshop and tell them to replace it. You can also try to check where the back wheel is bolted to the frame. Sometimes it will be possible to loosen the bolt and drag the wheel a little further away from the pedals, though it's probably too late for that to have any noticeable effect by now anyway.

Also: Remember to lubricate your chain (oil, not astroglide). It'll make your chain last longer AND make it run smoother.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

AlphaDog posted:

My girlfriend uses a different brand thing. It's got a blue label and an orange on the bottle and smells of citrus.

You can find both of these things in the cleaning product aisle at a supermarket.

Goo Gone and Goof Off are the commonly found brands here. They will get pretty much anything off of anything. If you have too much on your shoes though I'd be careful and test somewhere inconspicuous as it may try to dissolve your shoe as well. You could try nail polish remover too; it often contains a lot of acetone, which is the main ingredient in goof off. Or you could just buy a big can of acetone at the hardware store for not much more than a tiny can of the other stuff.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

stubblyhead posted:

acetone

Do this outside.

Non Sequitur
Apr 22, 2007
A queasy undergraduate scratching his pimples

Dudebro posted:

I'm wondering why a large company needs in-house counsel and outside counsel? What would each group handle?

I'm not speaking from first-hand experience, but generally in-house counsel will handle routine matters and outside counsel will be brought in for mergers and other major deals, big litigation and so forth.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Do this outside.

That works for the boots, but not for the bathroom floor :haw:

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010

Non Sequitur posted:

I'm not speaking from first-hand experience, but generally in-house counsel will handle routine matters and outside counsel will be brought in for mergers and other major deals, big litigation and so forth.

I was thinking about this more and it would make sense for in-house counsel to handle "family matters" like if there was a sexual harassment matter or how to deal with XYZ event in the company.

But outside counsel would be retained to deal with lawsuits coming from other companies or even individual suits. Does in-house counsel ever deal with this kind of stuff?

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I have another legal question.

Can someone explain the meaning of the words "Judge Advocate General" to me? I don't quite understand what judge and general are referring to. Is general a rank or is it an adjective? What is judge referring to, etc...

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Cross-posting from the Stupid Questions megathread in DIY:

I'm thinking really hard about this package on Best Buy and saying "gently caress you!" to satellite TV.

Does anyone have any experience with these things as far as whether or not they work well in really rural areas? I'm not sure if I want to just trust the reviews on the website talking about disconnecting the satellite dish and putting that antenna in it's place and using the satellite cable network to feed the TVs you're hooking up to.

Is there a better place to post this question?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Wade Wilson posted:

Cross-posting from the Stupid Questions megathread in DIY:

I'm thinking really hard about this package on Best Buy and saying "gently caress you!" to satellite TV.

Does anyone have any experience with these things as far as whether or not they work well in really rural areas? I'm not sure if I want to just trust the reviews on the website talking about disconnecting the satellite dish and putting that antenna in it's place and using the satellite cable network to feed the TVs you're hooking up to.

Is there a better place to post this question?

Go to http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx and put in your address. It will spit back a list of stations you can potentially receive and tell you what antenna types and angles are best to receive them.