Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
Mission Mode is no joke this time but when you get combos like Skrull 10 it's just so satisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeDM92
May 24, 2005

Tetrakarn posted:

On a doom-related note, can anyone tell me the functional difference between hard kick and his launcher? Honestly, Hard Kick just feels like its there to screw my combos up and do nothing that the launcher cant do.

You can dash cancel hard kick and special cancel it without having to jump cancel it.

It's also a few frames faster than his launcher.

Cancel cancel.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

CubsWoo posted:

Mission Mode is no joke this time but when you get combos like Skrull 10 it's just so satisfying.

Yeah, I knew they weren't kidding around when Haggar's mission 10 is actually the Hangeto corner loop.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Tetrakarn posted:

On a doom-related note, can anyone tell me the functional difference between hard kick and his launcher? Honestly, Hard Kick just feels like its there to screw my combos up and do nothing that the launcher cant do.
To add to what other people have already said, there are a couple people that for whatever reason H OTG to S doesn't work for a relaunch but H to hard kick does.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

The Rokstar posted:

To add to what other people have already said, there are a couple people that for whatever reason H OTG to S doesn't work for a relaunch but H to hard kick does.

Did they take that weirdness out in UMvC? I coulda sworn I'd heard Shuma Gorath was one of the Hard Kick guys, but I was doing the corner Foot Dive combo just fine with him last night.

e: Also, when I'm practicing Hawkeye's Freeze Shot OTG, sometimes I don't get the ground bounce, but the shot clearly connects and adds to the combo meter. The opponent just kinda rolls out in those cases. What's going on here?

e2: It happens about 36 seconds into this video.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Nov 21, 2011

duffath
May 9, 2007

My name is Legion for we are many.
Help me fellow Goons.

Since day 1 my team has been:

The coon (Pendulum)
Hawkeye (scatter/triple arrows)
Doom (Missiles)

I'm interested in some varied input.

First off is about rocket raccoon. He seems quite fun and he does have a tonne of ways to open people up, but his big weakness of lovely ranged normals is becoming really frustrating. His zoning game seems good and simply something that I'd need practice at, but when I'm trying to get in someone's face and open them up there seems to be very little I can do. I have three main options to pressure it seems.

The first is fast j.b,j.b,j.S then land and follow into a ground string of some sort which allows for a launch of mixup. The issue with this is in some circumstances pretty terrible range tends to make it whiff, and also on a lot of characters it'll completely whiff over the top of them, so it seems close to useless on a more than a few of the cast members.

The other one I tend to go for is simply his ripper dash (F+H) command normal which can be followed with either a launch or some sort of trap which may allow me to set something up. This is pretty slow and even though is moves him forward it seems to lack a bit of priority compared to a bunch of other normals.

A third method to open them up is storm style fast float into instant over-head, but again with the lacking range it seems incredibly hard to get to point blank and set this up without taking a hit in the process. I can lock them in place with oil fire or perhaps hidden missiles from time to time to open them up, but it's tricky to do while being rushed down and trying to keep people out.

I was curious if anyone has found good ways to pressure and keep people locked down with the coon because it's the first time I've ever used a character like this in fighting games so his whole play style (partly the fast, low health, low damage thing but to another extent the traps part of his game) is an entirely new concept to me. Any input or advice on how to not suck terribly with him would be great.

Another thing relating to advice would be team order. Having rocky on point means that he tends to die and never has much bar, which he really needs to get anything close to meaningful damage (currently I have a bnb which generally does 450-550k for 1 bar, but it's possible to burn up to 5 bars in a single combo with him for some pretty big damage) so I've considered putting hawkeye on first which would allow him to benefit from both missiles and pendulum but the problem is that hawkeye is also incredibly useful with a load of meter to burn on Gimlet.

I'd appreciate any help you guys might want to provide with me on this. Like I said rocky's playstyle seems like a pretty alien concept to me at the moment and I'd like to try and make it more robust since he's much better at getting hit and dying than anything else right now. :smith:

duffath fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Nov 21, 2011

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...

Vengarr posted:

Right. With the Doom buffs and the Iron Man nerfs, Unibeam assist no longer justifies his existance on any team.

Sadly. :qq:
I think Iron Man is way stronger in this game. The new range on his Jumping Medium, Jumping Heavy and crouching Medium make converting combos off a hit-confirm so much easier. He can convert now from almost the max possible distance of his new longer crouching Medium, which is at least two character lengths.

His air down dash (like directly down) is the fastest in the game and makes Magneto and Nova's look slow by comparison.

Crouching Heavy rocket being special cancellable is really solid. His new smart bombs recovering faster is really nice.

Cancelling air normals with an air dash lets him do some crazy setups on characters after a snapback or character kill.

His Air Heavy xx flight Air Heavy xx unfly Air Heavy poking game is really brutal for some characters since it now has even more ridiculous range.

He just actually works in this game, where in the previous one he often couldn't connect a combo even off a successful hit confirm.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Phenotype posted:

e: Also, when I'm practicing Hawkeye's Freeze Shot OTG, sometimes I don't get the ground bounce, but the shot clearly connects and adds to the combo meter. The opponent just kinda rolls out in those cases. What's going on here?

e2: It happens about 36 seconds into this video.
I noticed this while playing around with him as well. It's like Akuma's dive kick OTG where you have to hit the OTG move ASAP after you finish an air combo with S. Do the air combo as slow as you can, then go for the flip -> freeze shot as soon as you land.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
I hate Rocket Racoon. Just hitting that M every single time I am in the air makes me weep.

duffath
May 9, 2007

iPodschun posted:

I noticed this while playing around with him as well. It's like Akuma's dive kick OTG where you have to hit the OTG move ASAP after you finish an air combo with S. Do the air combo as slow as you can, then go for the flip -> freeze shot as soon as you land.

Yeah I've been on Clint since day one and the timing on the trick shot OTGs can be a bit fiddly to get used to. If it isn't already then make sure that J.H hits twice and it'll mean you'll be on the ground and ready to OTG a little bit faster which makes it more likely to work properly.

Also relating to Hawkeye and his corner OTG's since I saw a few people talking about it a few pages back.

Generically I try and super jump straight up after launcher when corner comboing but even if you don't holding back on the stick does allow you some directional control in the air so you can make a bit of space even when you mess it up so you can land ice or poison otg. Someone also mentioned the sharper angle of poison so it also allows you to connect while right in the corner if you do it really fast after hitting the ground and the poison arrow will clip them if they are in the middle of that mini-bounce after being spiked down with S.

Edit: also is there any footage of Combofiends poison arrow pressure?

duffath fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Nov 21, 2011

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

In the corner, it helps to dash back before you OTG freeze shot.

Midscreen, it usually helps to dash forward before you OTG freeze shot.

What's the current vergil BnB? I'm still stuck on:

5L (charge) 2M 2H STINGER XX TRICK M, 5S 5H (release L), 5H 5S 5H xx 236L xx Swords Super, then either:

j. H xx Helm Breaker, lunar phase, super

or the easier lunar phase x2, super.

I see people incorporating cr. H xx L judgment cut into their post-sword action but I can't even get it to work in training mode...

Anybody doing an iron fist BnB better than the simple one JWong was using in the Maximillian videos? I feel like he should have a storm-esque jump cancel 6H combo but I can't figure out a good one.

(charity tournament in philly yesterday was dope, even got to play some arcana offline which hasn't happened outside of my fighting game circle in like 3 years)

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

A highly sophisticated simpleton.
Goons what do I do against Zero? I can't ever get on him between the like zero recovery on his moves and his floating about in the air. The game just turns in to me hitting him with the occasional projectile every now and again and praying that I block all his attacks or else I eat a 70% combo. It used to I rolled she hulk and used Slide to gently caress his day up when he started with his greedy attack spamming, but I just dont know about she hulk these days.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Who else do you play? Zero is actually relatively easy to zone out if you have a projectile you can fire down from the air at a 45-degree angle. Wesker beats Zero pretty bad for this reason, IMO, because the only option the robot has against super jump gunshot teleport is his level 3.

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

A highly sophisticated simpleton.
I've got Chris who is the only one who does reasonable against him so I can machinegune or magnum from the air, but I don't see how this zones him out. Like I'll plink away at him but I'm not really getting anything done, and at some point I have to risk jumping at/over him to get out of the corner. Unless that's the entirety of that matchup. Am I supposed to super jump machinegun/magnum till he dies?

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Do you not have any useful assists?

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.
So been playing with a buddy, and i have ironed out 2/3rds of my team.

Running purple willy wonka wesker as my point otg assist, hawkeye triple arrow as my 2nd. My problem is my 3rd. I really have no idea what I should play as my 3rd

Any suggestions?

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Double Monocle posted:

Running purple willy wonka wesker as my point otg assist, hawkeye triple arrow as my 2nd. My problem is my 3rd. I really have no idea what I should play as my 3rd

Any suggestions?
My suggestion would be a "get off me" assist for Hawkeye. Ryu/Akuma tatsu would be good, Haggar is still pretty good, not many people seem to think this way but I think Doom rocks is good in that situation, etc.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Double Monocle posted:

Any suggestions?

If it helps, I think I'm settling on Wesker/Dormammu/Hawkeye. Good DHCs, Dorm and Wesk can lengthen eachother's combos, and Triple Shot assist is nice for creating mixups without scaling the damage as heavily as Doom's beam.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
Just finished watching last week's WNF. In the grand finals Combofiend taught a masters class on how to play Sentinel. He also had some pretty great ghost rider.

http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive/b/300215444 @ part 2, 1:36:20

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp
Does anyone else have god awful input lag online in this game? Its loving terrible, way worse than vanilla. It feels like a half second delay on everything, and I have a fast connection.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Duck_King posted:

Does anyone else have god awful input lag online in this game? Its loving terrible, way worse than vanilla. It feels like a half second delay on everything, and I have a fast connection.

Did you get a new television since Vanilla?

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

40 OZ posted:

Did you get a new television since Vanilla?

Yes, but offline runs fine.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

Duck_King posted:

Yes the online in this game is unplayable and terrible but that won't stop pages and pages of "oh man im top 100 win streaks on xbox live!!!", "what do i do against the pros using sentinel???" and other XBox related posts

but try to start a discussion about bnbs for the new characters and everyone ignores your post

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

Elephunk posted:

What's the current vergil BnB? I'm still stuck on:

5L (charge) 2M 2H STINGER XX TRICK M, 5S 5H (release L), 5H 5S 5H xx 236L xx Swords Super, then either:

The day 1 combo I was running on him was, 5M5H6H,623L~H, super jump MHS,land,5M5H6H, trick M, SWORDS SUPER, start holding light, jump j.2H~H spam, release L>super. I'm thinking I can probably squeeze in another special or something somewhere. I have no idea if this is better but maybe it gives you some ideas so there is that.

The KoRn Identity
Apr 9, 2009

Sarchasm posted:

I'm really enjoying playing as Iron Fist... In training mode. Whenever I take him online I get blown up because BnBs don't mean poo poo when you can't even land the first hit of the combo. What assists should I be using to close the distance and get in there?

frank shopping cart/akuma tatsu are good for setting up a high low rekka mixup but air lockdown assists are nice since anyone good is simply going to fly out of reach of if

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

The day 1 combo I was running on him was, 5M5H6H,623L~H, super jump MHS,land,5M5H6H, trick M, SWORDS SUPER, start holding light, jump j.2H~H spam, release L>super. I'm thinking I can probably squeeze in another special or something somewhere. I have no idea if this is better but maybe it gives you some ideas so there is that.

I saw Cat Machine (I think) post that one a couple days back, that's where I stole the idea for lunar phase x2 after sword.

I drop the manual super jump 10x more than the other setup I gave. It's really all about finding a reliable ender post-swords. Lunar Phase x2 , 3C, super is really winning the race for me right now though. I find j. H xx Helm Breaker isn't worth the risk of messing it up (at least on day 2 of playing vergil anyway)

So how about that Iron Fist? Jump Cancel combo, anyone?

(yes I know about the shoryuken forums but I read all the character combo threads and they're not much further along in discovery)

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

Elephunk posted:

I'll bug my friend tommorow what he is running, he uses him in slot 2 and abuses that insane assist of his. Whatever combo he does on Iron Fist all I know is it lasts longer then his firebrand combo, and kills all of my characters in 1 combo...when he doesn't drop it.

Woah if I dash forward H after releasing light sometimes I can push them into getting hit by the Virgil buster for like 7 hits and then do something??? maybe not sure yet. This is at the end of the combo I was doing too.

ShinsoBEAM! fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Nov 22, 2011

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

This seems to be an extension/variation of the combo you're talking about :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpOkO6qyves

There's certainly some stuff that can be added, but I don't know if that's exactly what you're looking for.

Also, I finally figured out what I was doing wrong with the Zero Sentsuizan OTG > Raikousen loop I was trying to work out. You basically have to delay the buster shot just a little bit after you hit with Sentsuizan H, since the opponent gains a bit of height that, if you do the buster shot instantly, he doesn't gain, causing the Raikousen L to miss. Too bad someone beat me to the punch on a full loop. Turns out the problem I had was that I was doing a full air combo after the first launch instead of just M > Sent, causing the combo to decay. Still, I'm loving this buff.

Merton Blask
Jun 30, 2008

So it's true! Mysterio is
gay for sex... with me?
How's Strange treating you guys? I just swapped him into my squad on point in place of Spidey, and I'm having a blast so far.

I've got a while before I'm comfortable taking him into a real fight, but he's suddenly tied with Nova for my favorite character to spend hours in the lab with. I just got the hang of Strange's jump loops, and my god they are satisfying. I found a video that sets up the loop with a post-crumple fly instead of Graces, so that's what I'm using for now.

Haven't really experimented much with Graces, haven't seen a huge need outside of the OTG in the corner. I've only seen them used so far in tandem with a teleport, and M Daggers kinda seem to do the same thing.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

I gotta look up real stuff for strange only things I know is j.M(M)H6H loop all day, and that you can set it up off of 623L. That and that double laser assist makes me so happy.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Merton Blask posted:

How's Strange treating you guys? I just swapped him into my squad on point in place of Spidey, and I'm having a blast so far.

I've got a while before I'm comfortable taking him into a real fight, but he's suddenly tied with Nova for my favorite character to spend hours in the lab with. I just got the hang of Strange's jump loops, and my god they are satisfying. I found a video that sets up the loop with a post-crumple fly instead of Graces, so that's what I'm using for now.

Haven't really experimented much with Graces, haven't seen a huge need outside of the OTG in the corner. I've only seen them used so far in tandem with a teleport, and M Daggers kinda seem to do the same thing.

Note that I haven't tested this, but I am thinking that 2 Red Graces then Flames for the OTG explosion might do more damage than the fly combo after crumple.

As for the Yellow Graces, the benefit to them is that you can place multiples of them pretty quickly, then super jump and Flames and go into your teleport mixup, whereas you can't do both M Daggers and teleport in the same super jump.

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

I gotta look up real stuff for strange only things I know is j.M(M)H6H loop all day, and that you can set it up off of 623L. That and that double laser assist makes me so happy.

The funny thing is that you can do pretty well with Strange combo-wise just with that jump loop. There are some slightly more damaging things you can do, but for the ease of use and meter built, going into jump loop is a real solid option.

Just as a reference, here's the combo I've been practicing:

s.MH f+H XX M Grace, M Grace, slight pause then Flames for the OTG explosion, f+H XX L Mystic Sword, (j.MMH f+H)x3, s.H f+H slight pause S sj.MMH f+H pause S, land M Daggers lateXX SoV

You can instead opt to start the combo with 1-4 c.L's into Impact Palm, and you can also go into this off of a 2 Yellow Graces or M Daggers teleport mixup. After the third iteration of the loop, you can actually do j.H f+H delay S, land f+H S, but I tend to drop that part so I leave it out. Also, if you don't want to place Graces for whatever reason, you can get to the jump loop by doing dash in c.H f+H XX L Mystic Sword or by doing some sort of fly combo into Impact Palm, I would imagine.

Shadow Ninja 64 fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Nov 22, 2011

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
If you wanna watch Justin Wong gently caress around in training mode, here's his stream: http://www.twitch.tv/eg_jwong

He's also answering chat questions.

fix yr hearts fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Nov 22, 2011

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Goons, help me deal with hidden missile assist!

I try to mix them up when doom isn't on the screen but it's really hard when they just super jump up back when he's not out. It's not like I'm getting hit by it but eventually I am getting die to the chip if I do nothing.

Elephunk posted:

(yes I know about the shoryuken forums but I read all the character combo threads and they're not much further along in discovery)

Did you watch the fingercramp tutorial? At the end it has combos and the one Jago suggests for his bnb is a jump cancel combo.

edit: Also watch Jwongs stream the guy just posted.

Fellblade fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Nov 22, 2011

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Note that I haven't tested this, but I am thinking that 2 Red Graces then Flames for the OTG explosion might do more damage than the fly combo after crumple.

As for the Yellow Graces, the benefit to them is that you can place multiples of them pretty quickly, then super jump and Flames and go into your teleport mixup, whereas you can't do both M Daggers and teleport in the same super jump.

I just do crumple, dash red graces,2H,6H, 623L,j.MMH6H,land j.MMH6H,land,5H6HS,jump,MH6HS,OTG explosion,6H,S,j.6HS,super...I don't have time to land if I want it to hit most of the time.

Thing is I normally don't land crumple in a real match.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

I just do crumple, dash red graces,2H,IMPACT PALM, 623L,j.MMH6H,land j.MMH6H,land,5H6HS,jump,MH6HS,OTG explosion,6H,S,j.6HS,super...I don't have time to land if I want it to hit most of the time.

That's fine for a corner variant, I would imagine.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

That's fine for a corner variant, I would imagine.

Everything up till OTG explosion works midscreen too, last time I actually hit this midscreen I had an OTG assist to call instead so I didn't do the explosion. It worked on both Ammy and Wolverine as well :D, but not RocketRaccoon :(.

ShinsoBEAM! fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Nov 22, 2011

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
Hey, so have people seen Desk's discovery that Frank can combo after his Shopping Cart Super on his own? :haw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9m6yOzoFhY

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President
Bon Voyage owns, Firebrand owns. I've had so much fun just extending combos with it or just hitting it out of no where with every single flight cancel or move that moves in to fly mode.

duffath
May 9, 2007

Duck_King posted:

I think there may be something in that. Maybe it's a uk thing though since we both limey and dat. I'm not entirely sure yet, but I occassionally get a noticeable lag spike which never happened in vanilla. Lag was very obvious and ongoing, but this seems...inconsistent, which perhaps is worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue font
Feb 28, 2011
I've been trying to pick up X23, for better or worse. I mostly play online and sometimes it seems drat near impossible to land any of her feint combos with any kind of lag present.

How exactly does her OTG into assist work? I've seen people end a magic series with a L talon dive, call cold star assist after landing, and then using her OTG ankle slice to pop a grounded opponent into the assist. When I land after the talon dive, though, it seems like there's a long delay before I'm able to call an assist, not giving me enough time to charge up ankle slice before the opponent gets up. NOt sure if there's some basic timing or part of her strings that I'm missing there.

• Locked thread