Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Any suggestions for picking up a USB+Female AC Adapter package for less than what Sprint wants to charge?

I'm sending back what I ordered from Amazon because though it looked real, it doesn't charge the phone.

Now I'm worried that anything I try to pick up from other vendors is just going to be a rip off. Anyone else had success getting a new Cable+Wall plug set for their phone?

I have an HTC Evo 3d if it matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

td4guy posted:

The Hero only has 288MB.

And it chugs like crazy.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

The Ferret King posted:

Any suggestions for picking up a USB+Female AC Adapter package for less than what Sprint wants to charge?

I'm sending back what I ordered from Amazon because though it looked real, it doesn't charge the phone.

Now I'm worried that anything I try to pick up from other vendors is just going to be a rip off. Anyone else had success getting a new Cable+Wall plug set for their phone?

I have an HTC Evo 3d if it matters.

It may be late and I am reading this wrong, but do you just need a wall charger? If so go to monoprice.com, they have the best prices on micro USB cables and their wall bricks are also ok.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Some phones and things are more picky about their chargers. My Kindle won't charge properly with a cheapo noname wall charger.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

diospadre posted:

And it chugs like crazy.

Even on 1.5/1.6 it was laggy, let alone with GB.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I have a dedicated wall charger already. I wanted to get a USB data cable that comes with a USB to wall adapter. I bought one off amazon that looked authentic, but it didn't charge.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
I looked on ebay for htc chargers, there's some dude selling tons of original htc chargers (brick only) for like 4 bux. You can pick up cables anywhere for like a dollar.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Did you have a good experience with a specific seller that I should check out?

I'm looking at all these chargers and most of these sellers have 20+ negative feedbacks in the last 30 days for defective products. Seems like the business of reselling phone accessories is shady as hell.

I'd be happy to buy from a goon recommended source before committing to another random charger that might turn out to be defective.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

http://www.seidioonline.com/htc-evo-3d-multi-function-battery-charger-black-p/bd3-bcsi3hev3d-bk.htm

This looks nice, and I've had good experiences with Seidio products in the past. And it seems specifically designed for the picky EVO 3D/Sensation 4G. Mentioning "specific power requirements" and all.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
What's the deal with google talk lately, hitting back just cycles through my chats indefinitely instead of just backing out of the app. This happens in any ROM I try, so it can't be just my phone.

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet
Can someone explain to me the appeal of cases that only protect the back/sides of a touch phone? The touch screen is the only part that is really sensitive to damage/drops and is expensive to replace. To me it's like buying a condom that only covers your balls.

Battle Cattle
Aug 13, 2003

MOO.

scarymonkey posted:

Can someone explain to me the appeal of cases that only protect the back/sides of a touch phone? The touch screen is the only part that is really sensitive to damage/drops and is expensive to replace. To me it's like buying a condom that only covers your balls.
Well even the thinnest case has a bumper effect - if I drop my phone, the glass doesn't touch the ground because of the sides of the case. Of course if I drop it on say, a rock... Then yes, I'm hosed. That's what Gorilla Glass is for!

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
People need to be able to see touch the touchscreen. They are also more careful about the screen itself. The case protects the rest of it from drops/etc.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

The Ferret King posted:

Did you have a good experience with a specific seller that I should check out?

I'm looking at all these chargers and most of these sellers have 20+ negative feedbacks in the last 30 days for defective products. Seems like the business of reselling phone accessories is shady as hell.

I'd be happy to buy from a goon recommended source before committing to another random charger that might turn out to be defective.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150673183964

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

scarymonkey posted:

To protect the back from scratches or to add a splash of color to it. I respect that more than I do a Otterbox case (unless you are in a warzone).

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

scarymonkey posted:

I bought my TPU case so that may be able to put my E4GT on any flat surface without worry. I prefer to not have the camera lens or screen directly touching something like wood.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I'm giving up on my Moment finally and getting a new Sprint phone for Christmas. Is the Evo 3D still the hot poo poo phone to get, even if you don't care about 3D or 4G?

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

PerniciousKnid posted:

I'm giving up on my Moment finally and getting a new Sprint phone for Christmas. Is the Evo 3D still the hot poo poo phone to get, even if you don't care about 3D or 4G?

The new hot poo poo is the Epic 4G Touch (Samsung Galaxy S II).

Here's a hardware tour:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jsxB2NKJvM

Here's a software tour:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96q6YCQvAdo

-------------

On a side note Amazon is having a Black Friday deal, all phones for $0.01 for new activations:

quote:

Amazon Wireless, one of our favorite online mobile retailers, launched its Black Friday promotions a little early this year, and boy are they good!
Did I say good? I meant absolutely incredible (though, unfortunately, only for new customers): every single phone at Amazon Wireless sold by Verizon Wireless, AT&T, and Sprint is going for just 1 penny.
Yup, even such $299 monsters as the HTC Rezound 4G and the DROID RAZR, along with the Galaxy S II variants (including the Skyrocket) are all priced down to a cent above free.
97 phones in total are participating in this Penny Pincher promotion, which is scheduled to go through Cyber Monday (November 28th), giving you ample time to pick up the best cell phone deals of the year. And here we thought the $111.11 RAZR deal was good only a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/1...-ii-evo-3d-etc/

scarymonkey fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Nov 21, 2011

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

PerniciousKnid posted:

Evo 3D is my personal favorite buy to get on Sprint. Compare the 3D and the Epic Touch, either one is fine. I've been considering putting the Photon in the "do not buy" category, for some reason I now have been having customers return that phone due to weird problems.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

PerniciousKnid posted:

If you don't care about 4G or 3D, I would go with the iPhone 4S, and even if you did care I would still go with it. That said if you care about being on Android you can't go wrong with either the EVO 3D or the Epic 4G Touch. That said pretty much the only 3 phones I would even consider from Sprint right now if you are taking your smartphone purchase serious.

Just curious how has the Epic 4G battery life been? The 3D has been pretty good battery life wise for my wife.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

PerniciousKnid posted:

You can't choose wrong between the Evo 3D and the GSII (used both, liked the thinner/lighter profile of the GSII better). However, if you're thinking of rooting, avoid the GSII. Too many problems right now when it's rooted.

halokiller fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Nov 21, 2011

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

halokiller posted:

You can't choose wrong between the Evo 3D and the GSII (used both, liked the thinner/lighter profile of the GSII better). However, if you're thinking of rooting, avoid the GSII. Too many problems right now when it's rooted.

There's no problem with GSII rooting, maybe using some of the custom kernels, but you can stay with stock ROM/Kernel and still root with no problem, I've already done on it on two phones, and no complaints from the two people I did it for after a month+ of use.

nate fisher posted:

Just curious how has the Epic 4G battery life been? The 3D has been pretty good battery life wise for my wife.

Battery life is great, even XDA members are pretty impressed with battery life.

scarymonkey fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Nov 21, 2011

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

scarymonkey posted:

There's no problem with GSII rooting, maybe using some of the custom kernels, but you can stay with stock ROM/Kernel and still root with no problem, I've already done on it on two phones, and no complaints from the two people I did it for after a month+ of use.

Which method did you use? I went with flashing thru ODIN to get CWM/root on stock and I got nothing but LOS issues since.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

scarymonkey posted:

Battery life is great, even XDA members are pretty impressed with battery life.
Gotta second this. The phone has really good battery life - put it in airplane mode and it will last a couple of days.

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

PerniciousKnid posted:

I'd say you should look into both the Evo 3D and ET4G. They're both great phones from what I can tell. I think a lot of it will come down to sense vs. touchwiz, higher res SLCD vs. slightly lower res but bigger/prettier SAMOLED+, and which feels better in hand.

In the abstract I think that the ET4G wins if you're just looking at bullet points on a spec sheet (faster CPU, bigger/prettier screen, better camera, better battery life) but given Samsung's track record with android devices I'd always be a little hesitant to pull the trigger.

For the record I own an Evo 3D and love it (I actually am a fan of sense which probably helps).

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

halokiller posted:

Which method did you use? I went with flashing thru ODIN to get CWM/root on stock and I got nothing but LOS issues since.

I used an older convoluted method, this seems the best way now (no ODIN required):

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1342728

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

halokiller posted:

I would suggest backing everything up and using ODIN to flash the "EG31" build that just came out and then using scarymonkey's link to root it. (You can also flash this in ODIN to get CWM5 with that build.) I did that on Thursday and things have been probably the most stable they ever have since then.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

berzerkmonkey posted:

put it in airplane mode and it will last a couple of days.

This is every Android phone. Hell, if I disable mobile network while at work, 8 hours later it's dropped maybe 2%.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

big mean giraffe posted:

This is every Android phone. Hell, if I disable mobile network while at work, 8 hours later it's dropped maybe 2%.

There is also the whole, A PHONE IS loving USELESS WITHOUT RADIOS thing. But y'know, whatever. I honestly thought the guy was being sarcastic? I hope?

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

ddogflex posted:

There is also the whole, A PHONE IS loving USELESS WITHOUT RADIOS thing. But y'know, whatever. I honestly thought the guy was being sarcastic? I hope?

I can play fruit ninja without a radio. Thus radios aren't essential.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Fyi Evo 3D people: Warm 2.3 Final finally reached 1.0 last night. Yeah, the Sense theme is kinda ehhhh, but holy gently caress the battery life.

I'm currently at 8 hours 37 minutes off charger, and the battery is still rockin at 79%. And I've been taking pictures, playing a little Sim City, dicking around on the web/SA, and being in and out of coverage dead zones all day.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
What you're talking about involves rooting the phone, correct?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
So.....ever since I've stopped working for Sprint back in July, I haven't really paid much attention to phones at all.

I still have the original EVO that I got 2 weeks before launch, I'm really getting sick of it. How many people have gone from Android in general or the EVO specifically to an iPhone 4S?

If you have, what's the verdict? What do you like/dislike?

I can sell my EVO back to Sprint for $90 so basically I can get a 4S for $110.

Should I do it? I'm just no longer impressed/infatuated with Android as I think it has gone about as far as its gonna go for the next year, Ice Cream Sandwich notwithstanding.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

datajosh posted:

I would suggest backing everything up and using ODIN to flash the "EG31" build that just came out and then using scarymonkey's link to root it. (You can also flash this in ODIN to get CWM5 with that build.) I did that on Thursday and things have been probably the most stable they ever have since then.

Gonna try this method now. I was still thinking at that time where can only have either root or CWM recovery (not both) on stock unless you used a custom ROM (which caused the LOS issue).

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

halokiller posted:

Gonna try this method now. I was still thinking at that time where can only have either root or CWM recovery (not both) on stock unless you used a custom ROM (which caused the LOS issue).
Oh yeah, that was the case for a bit. That second link is the stock EG31 kernel modified by chris41g to include CWM5 and initramfs changes to make it compatible with ROM Manager. Every kernel he's released - stock or custom - has been extremely stable. All those lovely Zedomax kernels we were stuck with in the beginning gave me LOS every hour or two.

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet

Mahoning posted:

So.....ever since I've stopped working for Sprint back in July, I haven't really paid much attention to phones at all.

I still have the original EVO that I got 2 weeks before launch, I'm really getting sick of it. How many people have gone from Android in general or the EVO specifically to an iPhone 4S?

If you have, what's the verdict? What do you like/dislike?

I can sell my EVO back to Sprint for $90 so basically I can get a 4S for $110.

Should I do it? I'm just no longer impressed/infatuated with Android as I think it has gone about as far as its gonna go for the next year, Ice Cream Sandwich notwithstanding.

I feel the opposite, I'm enjoying my EVO much more than the first day I bought it. There are many more quality apps now available that simply didn't exist when I first got the phone. At this point Android surpasses the iPhone when it comes to apps, iPhone still wins in the games department but Android is no slouch either.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

nate fisher posted:

If you don't care about 4G or 3D, I would go with the iPhone 4S, and even if you did care I would still go with it.
Maybe this is wandering off-topic, but aside from the lack of 4G are there any obvious downsides to the iPhone? I like Android but I don't love it, don't root, and I can't think of anything I really prefer about it other than being able to order extra cables online for a nickel apiece shipped.

scarymonkey posted:

I feel the opposite, I'm enjoying my EVO much more than the first day I bought it. There are many more quality apps now available that simply didn't exist when I first got the phone. At this point Android surpasses the iPhone when it comes to apps, iPhone still wins in the games department but Android is no slouch either.
Care to share any specific examples, to help inform my decision? (Thanks in advance.)

Edit: Phones are hard. :sigh:

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Mahoning posted:

6 months ago, I would have said I completely understand. Unless you really wanted the flexibility of Android or sideloading out of the box, iOS was a stronger choice. Since the ICS announcement, I really think Google has finally brought an OS on par with iOS as a whole with ICS.

iOS 5 feels like they didn't do much more than copy Android notifications and got Siri. ICS feels like they really overhauled the whole OS in about every way they should have. Which is pretty much how I felt about the 4S/Galaxy Nexus announcements. The iPhone is the same tiny screen, same huge bezel, and some upgrades under the hood. The Galaxy Nexus is like what you want from the next generation of phones.

All totally my opinion, but it felt like Apple was holding stuff back for iOS 6/iPhone 5 and Google is going all out.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

PerniciousKnid posted:

Maybe this is wandering off-topic, but aside from the lack of 4G are there any obvious downsides to the iPhone?

3.5" screen is about the only downside that I can think of, but people rarely complain about it so I doubht it's much of a problem. My own personal reasons for not getting an iPhone, aside from screen size, is the automation stuff I can do with Android. I can have WiFi turn on when I get home, have notifications shut up at night, have my media volume silent unless headphones are plugged in, have the screen brightness increase and the lockscreen disable when plugged in, and other such things. I don't know if this stuff is possible on iOS but I don't think I've heard about it.

On the other hand, iOS has far superior apps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

900ftjesus posted:

6 months ago, I would have said I completely understand...Since the ICS announcement, I really think Google has finally brought an OS on par with iOS as a whole with ICS.
How does that change anything right now? He can't buy a phone from Sprint right now that has ICS. And we all know how terrible of an idea it is to buy a phone on the promise of an Android update.

900ftjesus posted:

All totally my opinion, but it felt like Apple was holding stuff back for iOS 6/iPhone 5 and Google is going all out.
Why wouldn't they? With how long it takes for updates to be rolled out and the lineup of phones from CES to hit the market, ICS won't be on the majority of Android phones until next summer at the earliest.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Nov 22, 2011