Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.
I always knew that Doc Scratch had evil intentions, but he never actually came off as evil to me until when he told Slick to shoot Snowman. That's when I figured out just how much was under his control, and the whole Scratch intermission seemed a lot more sinister from then. He really seemed like a villain from that point on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

DupaDupa posted:

What exactly did he do again?
He revealed to Dave that he is responsible for the writing on their dream walls, which leads to John's fear of harlequins, which lead to the first prototyping, and possibly roses MEOW dream wall code and the final prototyping with Bec.
It might be his bard of rage powers or by virtue of his being a descendant of a subjugulator.
Edit: in hindsight I might be completely wrong

Ominous Jazz fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Nov 21, 2011

Zooloo
Mar 30, 2003

just wanted to make you something beautiful
If you think shotgun speculation is the only method, then you're reading a different story than the one I'm reading, because the one I'm reading makes sense. Shotgun speculation is only necessary when the outcomes of the story are completely unpredictable, which is not the case here.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Two of Doc Scratch's first in-comic acts were helping Vriska to cripple Tavros, and persuading her to kill Aradia. I dunno, those sent a pretty strong signal to me that he was evil.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Paul.Power posted:

Two of Doc Scratch's first in-comic acts were helping Vriska to cripple Tavros, and persuading her to kill Aradia. I dunno, those sent a pretty strong signal to me that he was evil.
Not even just helping her, but mocking her when she shows reluctance. He has always been fat nasty trash.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Seoinin posted:

Not even just helping her, but mocking her when she shows reluctance. He has always been fat nasty trash.
Good point.

I suppose the key is that he always tried to present himself as a necessary evil: Aradia dying leading to her frog prototyping and gaining a whole bunch of knowledge about the workings of the game, for instance. Evil, but apparently necessary. But was it necessary? The Trolls could well have won without that. Would have taken longer, but that would have been a good thing - Kanaya would have had more time to perfect the genesis frog. And a flawed frog was probably Scratch and English's goal all along.

Which fits the conception of English as a kind of parasite on Skaia and paradox space. There are flatworms that parasitise snails* and give them thicker shells - which, on the surface of it, sounds like helping the snail out. But in doing so, it diverts resources away from reproduction - so ultimately it's only the flatworm that's helped out by the thicker shell. English and co's game seems to be similar: cause universes to be flawed, then "help" them overcome those flaws by coming in post-Scratch and making the player species tougher. But in doing so he makes the society nastier, propagates the flaws and gives himself universes to eat.

Given all that, I don't think UU's working for English. She has plenty of ulterior motives to be sure, but I think she's more likely to be working for Skaia itself, in its attempts to get rid of its parasite.

* Dawkins, R. The Selfish Gene 1989 edition.

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!

Paul.Power posted:

I suppose the key is that he always tried to present himself as a necessary evil

I dunno, maybe I'm dumb, but I guess I kinda always just went along with Scratch. I mean we always knew he succeeded, so I just saw him as an inevitability. I was more interested in seeing how he succeeded. I guess he was evil, he did bad things towards a bad purpose, but I couldn't see him as a villain because he already won. He was more a force of nature, just sort of in the story to get things done.

I guess I found him more interesting than despicable. Like Jack Noir I hated, going around killing characters I liked, or Eridan for the same reason, but Doc Scratch was just sort of... there. I mean none of this would have happened if he wasn't there, but then again we wouldn't have a story if he wasn't. So like I said, inevitability. Whether he was good or evil was pretty much academic to me.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I don't think there's anything wrong with suspecting that UU is evil; she is suspicious. She knows a lot about things and we know too little about her.

Also, about her name, let me put my :tinfoil: on here for a second because there's someone else whose name we don't know. :tinfoil:

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

YF-23 posted:

Also, about her name, let me put my :tinfoil: on here for a second because there's someone else whose name we don't know. :tinfoil:

Well, hey, that's a neat observation.

--

UU is exciting because she is opening up a new line of intrigue, i.e. who is she and, given what we know in general and what little we know of her, what will her impact be? I'm leaning towards the more positive interpretations, myself, but I couldn't really say why.

That's because we don't have a heck of a lot of information yet, so I'm not kill myself spinning out the perfect theory when we actually know vanishingly little. Right now, UU is a fairly open-ended mystery. A lot of folks seem to be drawing out huge "What if X, that would mean blah blah incredible detail." But a little information could nullify X, making blah blah so much wasted effort.

We're clearly starting a new story arc here, and things are just ramping up. We're getting a lot of background information. There's no need to get your theories out SUPER FAST AND SUPER DETAILED just in case the next update will prove you right, because chances are that won't happen until this story arc begins reaching its climax. So, y'know, chillax, don't annoy the mods, etc.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

YF-23 posted:

I don't think there's anything wrong with suspecting that UU is evil; she is suspicious. She knows a lot about things and we know too little about her.
Yeah, unlike Aradia/Rose/Whoever, this is not some established good character we're speculating about. She's an utterly unknown quantity.

She's extremely knowledgeable and (seemingly) powerful, and she seems to be doing all she can to help out the new kids. That seems like an odd thing to do at this point- to introduce a new powerful character to help the good guys. The story calls for more antagonists, if anything, after the old kids all powered up so much (and we've got four more protagonists with just as much potential as well).

It's certainly possible that UU is as friendly and helpful as she appears, but if that turns out to be the case, I'd count it as a twist. She's so exceedingly friendly and so unknown at the same time that it's perfectly natural to be really suspicious of her. Just take her stated goal- to summon up some gods. It's quite likely that doesn't refer to Lord English... but it sure as heck is supposed to remind us of Lord English. It's definitely intended to raise a big old red flag and question UU's allegiance.

And again, she could be what she appears to be, but it's perfectly reasonable to doubt that when it's set up, possibly as a red herring, to be suspicious and doubtful.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

YF-23 posted:

Technically we don't know Doc Scratch's real name either. That's just what he goes by, because it's descriptive of the service he performs.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

You can argue that we need more antagonists, true, but on the other hand there's one big obvious hole in the story that so far nobody (other than UU potentially. Well ok, Aradia too) is filling, and that probably needs to be filled for a non-nihilistic conclusion to the story: someone to organise the heroes, provide a goal for them to aim for and hopefully - once causal spoilers are no longer an issue - explain what the hell is going on (well duh universes being created but why? And why in this way?). Skaia itself can't speak, so it needs someone to speak for it.

UU could be an antagonist, but for me that would be pretty disappointing because then we'd still have all this metaphysical overhead hanging around being a loving pain in the rear end.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Nov 21, 2011

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
I don't trust UU simply because her into was the exact opposite of Karkat's intro. Karkat owns, therefore the thing that is his exact opposite does not own. :engleft:

Anyway a super-nice helper with near omniscience isn't what the story needs at this point, now that we've got God-Tiers galore. If Hussie was playing it straight with UU he'd have to severely limit her abilities to keep her from becoming god-mode boring.

Paul.Power posted:

someone to organise the heroes, provide a goal for them to aim for

We already have a heroic Friendleader who commands his troops through friendly requests.

Happy Yeti
Jun 1, 2011

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Anyway a super-nice helper with near omniscience isn't what the story needs at this point, now that we've got God-Tiers galore. If Hussie was playing it straight with UU he'd have to severely limit her abilities to keep her from becoming god-mode boring.

What abilities? What omniscience? We know next to nothing about UU. She knows a lot, sure, but that's not conclusive proof of (a First Guardian's) omniscience. At least not until we know more about her.
This is sounding a lot like when we were getting the first fragments of information about Jade.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Seoinin posted:

Has someone got a link to this? I can't remember actually reading anything from him around the time we see Tavros getting hobbled.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

I started playing an associative word game in my head and became annoyed.

Lord English, could Jake's title be Lord of English? What the hell is English? Put some English on it? Like spin? Lord of Spin? Lord of Deception?
Doc Scratch doctors scratches?

To be clear, I don't think Jake is English or anything but is Lord a valid role name? Jake the Lord of _____.

Hussie stop brain Jacking, I mean hacking. ...poo poo! :tinfoil:

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

We already have a heroic Friendleader who commands his troops through friendly requests.
John's great and all, but he's also an archetypal fool who tends to get by on karma. He's a leader, but he's no manager.

quote:

Has someone got a link to this? I can't remember actually reading anything from him around the time we see Tavros getting hobbled.
Here.

e: and here's Bro.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Nov 21, 2011

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Holy poo poo! Brolog! I need to calm down from the excitement before I read this.

e:

quote:

Can't wait til you read the end of the first page.
Oh my god, amazing. I about died right there.

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Nov 21, 2011

annatar
Jan 14, 2007
hellol

ActionZero posted:

Holy poo poo! Brolog! I need to calm down from the excitement before I read this.

Can't wait til you read the end of the first page.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Oh. My. GOD.

Hahahaha, Hussie you have outdone yourself by far. As soon as I reached the bottom of the first page I literally just said "Oh my GOD" and just stopped to take it in for a while.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
That wasn't quite as loving awesome as I wanted, and it's beaten quite soundly by Mom, but we are really building up to a downright fascinating character.

...Oh gently caress it's Equius to a T.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Holy gently caress that auto-responder :stare:

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Bro's interested in Jake's apparently choice rear end.

This is almost as good as Dave describing Mom's choice rear end to Rose.

I've never said choice rear end three times in the same breath before.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

It's like one of those AOL bots, on cocaine.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

GT: This is pointless im not having this conversation unless its with my REAL LIFE FRIEND. THE ONE WITH HUMAN FEELINGS WHO ISNT A PRETEND PERSON INSIDE SUNGLASSES.
TT: Ok, but I'm pretty sure he's going to share my position on the matter.

:allears:

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Nilbop posted:

Bro's interested in Jake's apparently choice rear end.

This is almost as good as Dave describing Mom's choice rear end to Rose.

I've never said choice rear end three times in the same breath before.
all I can think of is
http://www.mspaintadventures.com/sweetbroandhellajeff/?cid=018.jpg
when did dave describe mom's choice rear end to rose

also all he said about rear end was half-rear end when did bro express interest in rear end

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Also, note how the number the auto-responder gives regarding the auto-responder's authenticity compared to Bro's when Jake is asking about the it actually goes down when he repeats the question. Going ahead and guessing it's not a random number, but actually something it generated based on Jake blowing its cover a bit, and thus throwing off its long-term projections.

Alectai
Dec 31, 2008

It doesn't matter how long I live, I will never have a hat as dashing as this.
Not to mention when it's supposedly repeating itself, it changes words around.

My God, Bro is Equius with Sollux's computer wizardry :o

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, Bro looks like he's shaping up to be loving awesome. The whole robot angle seems a bit out of left field, if you look at him as being a mixture of Dave's and Rose's traits. Where would that have come from. Although I suppose robots could be seen as the ultimate puppets...

E: OH GOD. ROBOCAL :gonk:

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Tollymain posted:

Yeah, Bro looks like he's shaping up to be loving awesome. The whole robot angle seems a bit out of left field, if you look at him as being a mixture of Dave's and Rose's traits. Where would that have come from. Although I suppose robots could be seen as the ultimate puppets...

E: OH GOD. ROBOCAL :gonk:
Well, we knew he was good enough with robots to make this.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!
This is my new favorite Act 6 log, even more than drunk Mom and Jane. :allears:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
People sometimes ask me why I dislike AI so much; I think this pesterlog pretty much sums it up. Really hoping Bro programmed it to be significantly more of an ironic robotic rear end in a top hat than he is for giggles, because otherwise I'm likely to find all of these logs insufferable, if still somewhat amusing.

On that note, it's nice to see that accusations of homoerotic come-ons run in the family.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Glorious.

I love how people in this thread kept getting eager for Kidbro's chat log soon, and other people kept pointing out that we were "only" going to get his autoresponder...

"Only"

In retrospect, the least appropriate sentiment imaginable.

Timaeus is an... interesting allusion... if only because it immediately remember the fact that someone associated Kidmom's handle with Gnosticism, and both Timaeus and Gnosticism make me think of the idea of a demiurge, which, conceptually, has a lot to do with Homestuck in general. Put simply, a demiurge is the divine designer of the universe, but not the creator- the various Platonists thought this guy was pretty swell, and the Gnostics thought he was basically evil. It's an interesting idea, as that's pretty much what the players are in Homestuck for the universes they beget.

Though Timaeus outlines pretty much all of Plato's insane religion of "reason" and his take on the nature of the universe, so who knows what specifically, if anything, its significance is in Kidbro's chat handle is.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Nov 21, 2011

GloriousDemon
May 1, 2009
Hahaha, Bro's shirt symbol is a hat. He's so drat committed to irony.

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Bro is my new favourite player, it's like I'm reading Hussie's forumspring.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Computerized glasses are apparently entirely within the realm of stock standard human technology in 2011. It seems the way to prepare humanity to deal with an oncoming apocalypse is, as always, to give them the best toys. Neat!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

kidBro's shades are the best new character. :kamina:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Bro doesn't really sound like he's anyone's friend, but it's nice to see some actual antagonism in an inter-kid relationship after the lovefest that was the original four and the hatefest that was the trolls.

I did think it was interesting that he basically really was a little Bro though - his opening statements were basically a taunting test to see if Jake would go back on his sincere statement, he brusquely (good word) called out Jake's uranium needs, then explained to him that if it was a matter of pride there was some challenge he could do for more uranium. Then the auto-responder that is nothing but pure testing of the person responding.

These kids feel a little more complex than our original heroes, although I guess that might just be because they're new and their various mysteries have yet to be unravelled. Does Bro look up to reset-Dave? What do Lalonde and Crocker think of Bro? Just what the heck is going on with these weird kids and what's to become of them? A lot to think about.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
So Bro makes robotic puppets now,
That could end up being real frightening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
God, the text colors make it feel like I'm reading Aquaman's laundry.