Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. D Bewildering
Mar 24, 2010

8^y

Rhinoceraptor posted:

God, the text colors make it feel like I'm reading Aquaman's laundry.

I agree. I long for more cotton candy antics between Jane and ____ Lalonde

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

golgothasTerror posted:

GT: Laughter isnt an emotion dickprince!
Kidbro confirmed for being the Prince of Dick.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

His name has got to be Dane. There's no other name douchey enough. Dane is scientifically proven by a team of douchologists to be the douchiest name.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Doc Uzuki posted:

His name has got to be Dane. There's no other name douchey enough. Dane is scientifically proven by a team of douchologists to be the douchiest name.

Chad is a way douchier name than Dane. Dane is probably the douchiest 'd' name, though.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Paul.Power posted:

And a flawed frog was probably Scratch and English's goal all along.

Hmmm, we know the flawed frog was because Kanaya let Karkat hurry her along. Do we have any indication that said hurrying has anything to do with Scratch? I thought it was just Karkat being Karkat.

Also, regarding UU: she's an interesting character, really. She seems to come off as this omniscient being, but what all do we know about her omniscience? Has she actually shown that she really knows anything important? I've been taking her omniscience as being similar to Jade's or the trolls'. That is, she knows about things that will happen in the future, but not necessarily why- or even the how, in some cases.

She could be more along the lines of Scratch, who legitimately knows things, but I'm not convinced. I think she's just an extra-universal being. She has all this knowledge about the post-Scratch guardians' future, but that's just because she can see it happen in her Trollian equivalent chat client.

EDIT: Also the auto-responder log was great. I look forward to more mishaps with both it and kidBro himself.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
To me, UU comes off as no more omniscient than Jade in Acts 1-4 (due to her seeing visions in Skaia's clouds) or the trolls (due to trollian time shenanigans). As a result, the only bit of First Guardian-ness that I really see in her is her name.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Nate RFB posted:

To me, UU comes off as no more omniscient than Jade in Acts 1-4 (due to her seeing visions in Skaia's clouds) or the trolls (due to trollian time shenanigans). As a result, the only bit of First Guardian-ness that I really see in her is her name.

She also has a white/green colour scheme, her vision is partially foiled by Lalonde's (possible) Void powers, and her helpful-but-cryptic manner is a bit too reminiscent of Doc Scratch. To be frank I'd really like her to be a good guy (for some reason), but she just seems very suspicious to me.

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.
So Bro's auto responder is this universe's version of a dream bot and real Bro is currently asleep and tooling around Derse right now, isn't he?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Glory of Arioch posted:

Chad is a way douchier name than Dane. Dane is probably the douchiest 'd' name, though.

This is pretty funny because according to the arbitrary rules Andrew set himself when selecting the kids' names, Dave was "supposed" to have been named Chad Buskin. (We all lucked out there.)

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

I really hope that Bro earnestly loves poo poo like Detective Pony and uses his obnoxious SAT vocabulary to do literary analysis on horse-themed children's books.

Also that we see Latawnya the Naughty Horse somewhere.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

quote:

GT: Oh. Yes! But of course.
GT: The ironies!
GT: Good grief how i was bandying them just now.

I couldn't help hearing this in Old Timey Strong Bad's voice for some reason. That is going to end up being Jake's default voice in my head now whether I like it or not.

So yeah, I had been under the assumption that Kidbro didn't put down his glasses and turn the auto-responder on until the first instance of "It seems", and the beginning of the conversation actually featured him, until I saw that people in the thread think otherwise. Which means that unless everyone Bro knows is constantly shaking him down for uranium, he puts custom settings in for each individual person (ie "Jake" => "probably being overly flowery and asking for uranium"). Which would be pretty cool. The problem is that then it'd inexplicably start acting a lot more chatbot-like later on.

So my headcanon for this conversation is still going to be that Bro engaged Jake in conversation, saw that he only wanted uranium, turned him down, and then turned on the auto-responder to allow for no further argument. It just makes so much sense.

And if this is true I gotta say I like Kidbro's personality. He's a cross between Rose and Dave, but, like, in the opposite way Kidmom is. Dave's personality with Rose's mannerisms.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

I really like Jake begging for uranium over the internet. And that Strider is in the middle of a Texas city and has uranium readily available.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

loquacius posted:

I couldn't help hearing this in Old Timey Strong Bad's voice for some reason. That is going to end up being Jake's default voice in my head now whether I like it or not.

So yeah, I had been under the assumption that Kidbro didn't put down his glasses and turn the auto-responder on until the first instance of "It seems", and the beginning of the conversation actually featured him, until I saw that people in the thread think otherwise. Which means that unless everyone Bro knows is constantly shaking him down for uranium, he puts custom settings in for each individual person (ie "Jake" => "probably being overly flowery and asking for uranium"). Which would be pretty cool. The problem is that then it'd inexplicably start acting a lot more chatbot-like later on.

So my headcanon for this conversation is still going to be that Bro engaged Jake in conversation, saw that he only wanted uranium, turned him down, and then turned on the auto-responder to allow for no further argument. It just makes so much sense.

And if this is true I gotta say I like Kidbro's personality. He's a cross between Rose and Dave, but, like, in the opposite way Kidmom is. Dave's personality with Rose's mannerisms.
Yeah, that makes an awful lot of sense. The first Strider "monologue" of the pesterlog, for instance, doesn't seem much like an autoresponder (if only for the simple reason that it's a monologue, rather than a response).

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Mr. Pumroy posted:

I really like Jake begging for uranium over the internet. And that Strider is in the middle of a Texas city and has uranium readily available.

This IS a universe where it's apparently fairly normal for teenagers to know how to make robots (at least that's the impression I got from "im not the best or even second best robosmith i know!").

Gizmotinker
Oct 31, 2011

WILL COACH 4 RARES

Great at giving unsolicited bad advice in the Dota2 thread without having a public profile! You see, it's his shitty teammates that hold him back; he wouldn't want you thinking it's him.

His posts make it sound like he's playing a different game. Seriously.

Paul.Power posted:

Yeah, that makes an awful lot of sense. The first Strider "monologue" of the pesterlog, for instance, doesn't seem much like an autoresponder (if only for the simple reason that it's a monologue, rather than a response).
Reread the Brolog assuming that Bro is the one responding, but at the point

quote:

GT: Jesus christmas you are such a loving douche.

he sets the glasses down, lets the autoresponder to take over, and leaves.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Thats the way I read it too, but I guess we will find out soon enough.

Not soon enough really.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Gizmotinker posted:

I prefer to interpret it that Bro has created an autoresponder that is smart enough to give that whole uranium spiel but still falls prey to giving SmarterChild/ELIZA-esque responses occasionally.

I also hope that Bro prototypes his autoresponder.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Android Blues posted:

She also has a white/green colour scheme, her vision is partially foiled by Lalonde's (possible) Void powers, and her helpful-but-cryptic manner is a bit too reminiscent of Doc Scratch. To be frank I'd really like her to be a good guy (for some reason), but she just seems very suspicious to me.

The thing is, her color scheme is also very similar to Karkat's, and we know that grimdark hides a person from Trollian. It reasonable to speculate, then, that kidMom's void powers (or whatever her deal is) can hinder UU's Cheerian (or whatever her client is called. We don't know, I just pulled that out of my rear end.)

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009

Gizmotinker posted:

Assuming this also leads me to the conclusion that Bro was talking to Jake while he was on the toilet.

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004

creationist believer posted:

I prefer to interpret it that Bro has created an autoresponder that is smart enough to give that whole uranium spiel but still falls prey to giving SmarterChild/ELIZA-esque responses occasionally.

That's how I read it as well. kidBro is just so good at computers that his autoresponder actually pretty much sounds just like him. I can see the interpretation that he switched Jake off, though, but kidBro's side of the conversation was generally pretty realistic even after we learned for sure it was the autoresponder

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

haruspex posted:

Assuming this also leads me to the conclusion that Bro was talking to Jake while he was on the toilet.

Who takes off their shirt to take a dump?

TurnpikeLad
Feb 12, 2007

ghost in bucket
I think Bro probably anticipated the conversation with Jake and programmed the bot to follow a script verbatim for the first few lines. He knew he was going to message him asking for uranium, and he knew how the exchange was going to go.. but after the script ended, then the bot went on its own logic.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Yeah, that's kind of the joke. It wouldn't be that funny if Bro's autoresponder was only the obviously automatic bits.

Up until it ran out of things to say, the conversation was entirely determined by the bot, with little regard for what Jake was saying. I mean, even if Bro was there, he clearly knew what Jake was going to say, so it's perfectly reasonable that he wasn't even there for that.

From the autoresponder's perspective, the conversation basically goes-
State your business.
[waits a while]
That's bullshit. I hope you were being ironic. Say you were ironic.
[waits]
Good. Now that you've said you were being ironic, I bet you need Uranium.
[waits]
You are out of Uranium. Can't fool me.

And so on. I mean, considering how sophisticated the autoresponder was when confronted with its own inhuman nature, it's not at all surprising that it could navigate this simple one sided conversation, especially as Bro apparently knew it was coming.

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004
I'm starting to think Jake actually is somehow aligned with Lord English to some negative degree. At first I expected he was going for a fakeout by having the connection be strongly implied and then have that not turn out to be true. Now, after having seen all of Jake's computer devices and especially the Cairo Coattop, I get the feeling Hussie is going for a double-fakeout. The hints have wrapped around from 'so obvious it's got to be a trick' to 'so amazingly blatant the trick is that it's not a trick'

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

King of Solomon posted:

The thing is, her color scheme is also very similar to Karkat's, and we know that grimdark hides a person from Trollian. It reasonable to speculate, then, that kidMom's void powers (or whatever her deal is) can hinder UU's Cheerian (or whatever her client is called. We don't know, I just pulled that out of my rear end.)

Her being similar to Karkat just makes me more suspicious, since the post-Scratch universe has lots of sinister versions of benevolent pre-Scratch things (CrockerCorp has replaced SkaiaNet, Grandpa Harley/Becquerel have given way to weird Lord English iconography). If there's a post-Scratch person supplanting Karkat's role (initially cantankerous and antagonistic, ultimately a helpful good guy) then I'm expecting a similarly sinisiter reversal, which is only backed by UU being very purposefully the opposite of Karkat as he was when we first knew him!

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!

Pleasant Friend posted:

Who takes off their shirt to take a dump?

George Costanza

loquacius posted:

He's a cross between Rose and Dave, but, like, in the opposite way Kidmom is. Dave's personality with Rose's mannerisms.

What a horrifying chimera.

Also, I love the meta-joke going on here. Everyone is dying to see Bro, and Andrew toys with us in pretending we are, and then we realize as Jake does that we aren't, and we share his disappointment.

HUSSIE :argh:

On a serious note: I know headcannon or whatever is bad and all, but how does this jive with the whole "Bro is actually sincere." I'm glad he's not just a dumb weeaboo/Brony thing because that's not much to build a personality on, but he IS a big enough douchebag to pull off the whole superiority complex of the japanophile. Not that he has to be or anything, I wasn't overly fond of that idea to begin with, but I did like the theory that he was unironically into terrible things.

I guess he really still could be, and also be a big unironic rear end on top of it.

(Or maybe the characters are just more interesting and complex then we were expecting.)

I'm really looking forward to the other character's interactions with him. We finally understand Jake's apprehension.

Starmaker fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 21, 2011

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Android Blues posted:

Her being similar to Karkat just makes me more suspicious, since the post-Scratch universe has lots of sinister versions of benevolent pre-Scratch things (CrockerCorp has replaced SkaiaNet, Grandpa Harley/Becquerel have given way to weird Lord English iconography). If there's a post-Scratch person supplanting Karkat's role (initially cantankerous and antagonistic, ultimately a helpful good guy) then I'm expecting a similarly sinisiter reversal, which is only backed by UU being very purposefully the opposite of Karkat as he was when we first knew him!

Certainly, I agree with her being very sinister. I'm just suggesting that she is not actually a Scratch equivalent so much as she's still more a character with imperfect information; just more information than Jane et al.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
Bro's name will be "Dean".
...or "Dude".

e: or quite possibly he will be referred to as "Bro" forever, his real name remaining an unanswered mystery.

kjetting fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 21, 2011

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
Am I crazy, or is there an implication that Bro is gay? It's hard to decipher what level of irony the "for me to rush to your vicinity as nakedly as possible" line was, but Kidmom did say Jane was naive for thinking she and Strider were perfect for each other.

On the other hand, I could see Bro's autoresponder running the Sburb client and server applications. Every character interaction will be with the autoresponder. We never see or meet Bro himself, he is just too drat elusive.

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

I just saw Dave Strider on TV.

I was walking by and glanced upon some guy talking about a new CGI penguin movie.Right to the left of was a large picture of hero mode Dave.
Cant for the life of me find it on youtube though.

I just saw Dave Strider on TV.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

On the other hand, I could see Bro's autoresponder running the Sburb client and server applications. Every character interaction will be with the autoresponder. We never see or meet Bro himself, he is just too drat elusive.
I have absolutely no objections to this whatsoever.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Starmaker posted:

On a serious note: I know headcannon or whatever is bad and all, but how does this jive with the whole "Bro is actually sincere." I'm glad he's not just a dumb weeaboo/Brony thing because that's not much to build a personality on, but he IS a big enough douchebag to pull off the whole superiority complex of the japanophile. Not that he has to be or anything, I wasn't overly fond of that idea to begin with, but I did like the theory that he was unironically into terrible things.

I guess he really still could be, and also be a big unironic rear end on top of it.

(Or maybe the characters are just more interesting and complex then we were expecting.)

I feel like his talk about not making it easy for Jake when it's something Jake stakes his pride on is very consistent with the "Bro is unironic" deal. It's the same as the way he tests Dave and it's also the whole silly Japanophile personal honour samurai code thing. Of course that might not be the case but there is something pretty anime about Mr. Miyagi'ing your friends so that they can unlock their inner potential.

Am I crazy, or is there an implication that Bro is gay? It's hard to decipher what level of irony the "for me to rush to your vicinity as nakedly as possible" line was, but Kidmom did say Jane was naive for thinking she and Strider were perfect for each other.

It sounded to me like Bro was either into Jake and had been previously rebuffed, or he was just being creepy-ironic in that way Dave at once inherits and finds unnerving.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
My first instinct was that UU is the Condesce, doing whatever inscrutable time meddling Lord English required of her, maybe even creating him. Then, I realized that the text should be purple then, unless they come up with an explanation for it. Maybe the trolls talking to the new kids are from the peaceful pre-scratch Alternia.

The new Strider reminds me of Doc Scratch, with his creepy prescience and the auto-response reminding me of the Magic Cue Balls.

Where did it say his first initial was D? I missed it.
VVV

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 21, 2011

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Dr Christmas posted:

The new Strider reminds me of Doc Scratch, with his creepy prescience and the auto-response reminding me of the Magic Cue Balls.

The initials don't help either.

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!
I thought he wasn't supposed to be ironic at all.

And while I'm all for gay characters in media or whatever, it still seems slightly out of place. It just seems a bit too overtly sexual for Homestuck (yes I know quadrants but alien sex is different okay)

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Starmaker posted:

And while I'm all for gay characters in media or whatever, it still seems slightly out of place. It just seems a bit too overtly sexual for Homestuck (yes I know quadrants but alien sex is different okay)

How is it any more or less sexual than Jane having a crush on Jake?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Starmaker posted:

This is really dumb and a common complaint about homosexuality in media. You realise there's a bunch of straight characters who talk about kissing each other all the time in the comic already, right? There's this assumption that heterosexuality can be innocent and romantic, but homosexuality is a PG-13 thing - which is really just entirely wrong.

I mean, that apart from the ridiculousness of the complaint based on what's been in the comic already. Do you not remember when Dave was telling Tavros that he'd lucked out on as much pubescent boy dick as he could handle, and talking about his "naked spam porpoise"?

That's kind of academic though, because honestly saying homosexuality is overtly sexual but giving straight romance a pass is just duuuuuuumb and super wrong and I think that needs to be driven home.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

That's a real interesting line for him to go out of the way to add that to the initial script the auto-responder was going by.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Starmaker posted:

Dave was all about overt innuendo. Reread the first few acts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

Starmaker posted:

Dave identifies his species as "North American Hollering Phallus Babboon" to Terezi, so.