Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larva
Dec 26, 2007

Spermy Smurf posted:

A friend recently had some blood work done on a 6-8 year old cat that was very lethargic, I told him to get that cat eating and drinking anything ASAP. He did, then took it to the vet a couple hours later.

The cat got an IV and a lot of blood work done, and they are now saying they want to keep the cat for 3 days, hooked up to an IV, and monitor it.

They're basically saying "kidney failure" but I have no idea how to read any of this info, and I figured someone else could verify that it is kidney failure.

The reason I ask is because the vet said "Kidney Failure" and then in the next sentence said "Liver Failure" and followed that with "muscle failure" which I am pretty confused on.

Edit: They are talking $900 for the 3-day stay at the vets, followed by weekly IV's and a complete diet/lifestyle change. Is this anywhere near normal procedure? The 2 other vets he called wont even read the blood work without a full exam.

Hospitalization for ~3-5 days on IV fluids is the optimal treatment for acute renal failure. This bloodwork shows a dehydrated animal (going by the elevated albumin and high hematocrit) with a low urine specific gravity, indicating that the kidneys are unable to appropriately concentrate the urine. The BUN is extremely high, but oddly the Creatinine is normal. In a typical case of acute renal failure creatinine would be above normal, unless the cat is also extremely low on muscle mass. There are also a bunch of electrolyte changes on here that occur when the kidneys are doing a lousy job of concentrating the urine. Most concerning is the high potassium, which can cause fatal arrhythmias if untreated. There's nothing to indicate liver failure on this bloodwork, but one of the liver enzymes (ALT) is mildly elevated. Has the cat been vomiting?
This is certainly the bloodwork of a cat who should be hospitalized. It's most likely renal failure, but the relatively low Creatinine makes me wonder if there might be something else going on on top of underlying chronic renal failure. Addison's disease is rare in cats, but it's not unheard of. At any rate, the advice of any vet who has actually examined the cat is worth 100x that of a stranger on the internet. All I can really tell you is that this kitty is sick and needs intensive supportive care. Good luck.

Larva fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Nov 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!
Haha, I admit I thought of Addison's too when I saw that bloodwork, but I did a retrospective on it over the summer and now I see it everywhere I go. Especially since there isn't a stress lymphopenia. Addison's would be a total zebra, though.

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.
I need some cat litterbox tips if anyone has any. Basically, we got a new cat a few weeks ago. We're having problems with him not just using the litterbox and tracking litter out/normal mess, but he actually flings litter out as far as he can. Like, the box is at the other end of the house and he has woken me up in the middle of the night because he is digging so loudly, and there is litter all over the room.

The obvious solution is an enclosed box, but my other cat who is an insane and temperamental tortie, refuses to use them. We tried giving them the option of enclosed or not (using the new cat's favorite box as the enclosed one, and two other open ones) but he won't use it when there are open boxes.

Any tips for either stopping this behavior or minimizing the mess? We have a pretty small house so it's kind of a big deal, their boxes are in pretty heavily-trafficked areas so I'm sweeping 2-3 times a day at least to keep it halfway presentable.

He hasn't had any other litterbox problems and otherwise seems to be adjusting really well, if that matters.

hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE

2tomorrow posted:

I need some cat litterbox tips if anyone has any. Basically, we got a new cat a few weeks ago. We're having problems with him not just using the litterbox and tracking litter out/normal mess, but he actually flings litter out as far as he can.

What about just a high sided box? Like a rubbermaid tub? Not sure if your tortie would jump in and use something with high sides or not? Or maybe cut one of the shorts sides down so they can walk in easier, but the other sides might still help keep things under control. I've considered doing something like this as well, because I have a flinger (I was standing probably 4-5 feet away and he was flinging it and it hit me in the face), but I also have a cat with really bad hips who also has litter box issues, so I keep the low sides for him. It helps that I have a room that is a litter box room and nothing else, so I don't really care as much about the flinging.

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.
That's such a simple solution I'm not sure why I didn't think of it. I don't think the crazy cat will jump into a high-sided one but she just might if I cut an entrance.

Also I'm glad to know that this flinging behavior isn't abnormal. I'm not really a cat person and I've never seen it before so I was kind of worried. He's an awesome cat otherwise too, I'm in love. :3: Not with having litter all over my house, though.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

2tomorrow posted:

That's such a simple solution I'm not sure why I didn't think of it. I don't think the crazy cat will jump into a high-sided one but she just might if I cut an entrance.

Also I'm glad to know that this flinging behavior isn't abnormal. I'm not really a cat person and I've never seen it before so I was kind of worried. He's an awesome cat otherwise too, I'm in love. :3: Not with having litter all over my house, though.

Trust me, your cat will jump. I was worried when I got my cat that he wouldn't because he wasn't used to it and was also (and still is) fat, but he's fine. If my retard cat can figure it out, your cat will be fine.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
My dog has a tick. Whats the best way to get it off without special tweezers?

[edit]

nvm, got it off

davey4283 fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Nov 18, 2011

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy
oops wrong thread, sorry!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Hey is it true there's some kind of castration for male cats where they can keep their balls? They just snip the tubes or something? IIRC that's something I've read on this forum I think. I was thinking it could be an alternative for this guy who thinks castrating his indoor male cat is cruel and not required.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Hey is it true there's some kind of castration for male cats where they can keep their balls? They just snip the tubes or something? IIRC that's something I've read on this forum I think. I was thinking it could be an alternative for this guy who thinks castrating his indoor male cat is cruel and not required.

I don't see how keeping the balls would change his mind- unless for some reason he wants to make sure his cat at least looks like it has balls. :psyduck:

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.

Serella posted:

Trust me, your cat will jump. I was worried when I got my cat that he wouldn't because he wasn't used to it and was also (and still is) fat, but he's fine. If my retard cat can figure it out, your cat will be fine.

Well, I'm sure she would do it if she wanted to, but she's the type of cat who doesn't like any real change and is already prone to problems using the box so I'm afraid to try it. She's very smart, she's just nuts.

Though maybe I shouldn't have typed that, she's looking over my shoulder and just began purring loudly while giving me an evil look...

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Greycious posted:

I don't see how keeping the balls would change his mind- unless for some reason he wants to make sure his cat at least looks like it has balls. :psyduck:

I dunno myself, I told him its a cat, it won't miss its balls.

I just remember hearing about some kind of procedure that was pretty quick, non-invasive and left the stuff intact somehow while still "inactive", maybe it was just a vasectomy for cats, but that won't help with the cats behaviour so why bother with that.

Larva
Dec 26, 2007

Almost certainly won't change his mind, but...http://www.neuticles.com/
Has his cat started spraying yet? How about desperately trying to escape the house at every opportunity?

Intl Cron
Dec 5, 2005

I'm just an olde-fashioned cowboy...
Crossposting from the kitten thread:

Quick dumb question - we have a 1 year old neutered Maine Coone and just got our 6 month old black mutt kitty spayed. The clinic said to keep her cone on for seven to nine days, and that's fine and all.

We've been keeping her sequestered in the bathroom for the past three nights with food litter water etc. because we don't want the other cat to be licking her or whatever while we're sleeping.

Is this necessary? The incision site is clean and looks to be healing perfectly. Also, after watching them closely it doesn't look like he's too interested in licking her. I don't want to make this any more annoying for her than the cone of shame is already making it.

ladyofshallnot
Nov 11, 2008

CarrotFlowers posted:

Talking to my mom yesterday, Niki's back legs have been kind of giving out on her randomly. I guess she'll just be standing there and suddenly her back legs will give out and she'll be sitting on her butt. She doesn't yelp or otherwise show pain when this happens, but when she deliberately sits or lies down, she will let herself down very slowly, almost like she's really stiff. Sometimes she will lean against the wall when she's standing there, which she has never done before. Also
now that it's colder out, she is definitely more arthritic. My mom has to carry her outside to her pee spot when she has to go on the colder days, as she can't always make it up and down the deck stairs.

I'd take her to the vet. Our yellow lab has the same problem; some days his legs just decided they wouldn't work. Our vet gave him some medication (possibly just anti-inflammatory painkillers?) and most days he's fine. Sometimes he gets a leg stuck under himself and needs a boost up, but he gets up and down the stairs to the backyard fine and is living as active a life as a geriatric dog can manage.

We also no longer make him sit for treats. Try to minimize the amount of up and down she's doing.

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.

I dunno myself, I told him its a cat, it won't miss its balls.

I just remember hearing about some kind of procedure that was pretty quick, non-invasive and left the stuff intact somehow while still "inactive", maybe it was just a vasectomy for cats, but that won't help with the cats behaviour so why bother with that.

I'm pretty sure that is just a vasectomy. I know they do them in dogs and horses (because I've run into people who prefer to do that for some reason) so it wouldn't surprise me if it's done in cats as well. I think it's hard to find a vet who is willing to do it and expensive though, and I'm pretty sure you have to do some followups to make sure things took. And like you said, why bother?

Good for you for trying to find something you can get your friend to do, though.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

ladyofshallnot posted:

I'd take her to the vet. Our yellow lab has the same problem; some days his legs just decided they wouldn't work. Our vet gave him some medication (possibly just anti-inflammatory painkillers?) and most days he's fine. Sometimes he gets a leg stuck under himself and needs a boost up, but he gets up and down the stairs to the backyard fine and is living as active a life as a geriatric dog can manage.

We also no longer make him sit for treats. Try to minimize the amount of up and down she's doing.

Yeah she took her to the vet and apparently she had a fever as well so they gave her some pain meds and something for the fever. Mom says she's back to normal and acting like a 14 year old dog, so that's great!

I'll talk to her about limiting the sitting and up and down movements.

Number 169
Feb 25, 2007

Let's see if I can guess your function.
My cat got something really sticky on his fur and is refusing to wash it off. We're out of cat shampoo - is there any household product that is safe to use on my cat to remove the sticky? I've tried a fine comb and that didn't help much. It hasn't dried noticibly in a day; it's still sticky to my touch. Ideally there would be something I could use in conjunction with a damp cloth rather than having to give him a proper bath, for obvious reasons but also because he will probably roll in whatever he has found again immediately after I wash this lot off.

Answers on the internet varied from "you NEVER need to wash your cat are you crazy they wash themselves" to "detergent/human shampoo is fine as long as you rinse well" to "rub vegetable oil into your cat's fur with your hands before washing". Naturally I didn't find any answer that looked trustworthy.

If I need to go and buy some cat shampoo, so be it, but I am rather hoping that there is a quicker/cheaper SAFE solution.

Edit: VVV I'm in NZ and have no idea what the equivalent of Dawn is :) I buy this stuff: Home Brand Dishwash

Edit 2: Used the tiniest smidge of dishwash on him and it got all the sticky stuff off, then 'rinsed' profusely with a damp cloth. Hopefully he feels clean and doesn't wash that part for a bit!

Number 169 fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Nov 21, 2011

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

If you have dawn dishwashing liquid around that is generally safe to use on animals. My dog got scrubbed with it when he got skunked and was no worse for wear.

chuchumeister
Jul 23, 2007

Stuffed with dericious cream for your pleasure!
I have two shih tzus, Maverick and Goose. Lately, Maverick has been losing a lot of hair. I know it's only him because he has black/white hair and all the clumps are black/white.
Sometimes he will get allergies and hot spots, but he hasn't had any itchiness or irritated spots that I've noticed for about half a year now. Also, lately when I brush him, I'm constantly cleaning the bristles because it's catching so much fur. I usually give them at least a cursory brush every other day but I've been brushing Maverick every day now to try to stem the fur loss. Ironically, it seems the more I brush him, the more hair clumps I notice the day after.

I switched them from Nutro Max back to Solid Gold earlier this year, but I did it gradually and they used to eat Solid Gold a few years ago, so I can't imagine that that could be it.

Again, he doesn't seem to have any hot spots and he hasn't been scratching more than usual. More importantly, he doesn't have any bald spots; from what I can tell, he's as fluffy as he always is.

Should I be concerned? I'm not sure it's bothering him but at the same time it's a LOT of hair. I'll walk in the house and it looks like a weave exploded on the carpet and couch.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

chuchumeister posted:

I have two shih tzus, Maverick and Goose. Lately, Maverick has been losing a lot of hair. I know it's only him because he has black/white hair and all the clumps are black/white.
Sometimes he will get allergies and hot spots, but he hasn't had any itchiness or irritated spots that I've noticed for about half a year now. Also, lately when I brush him, I'm constantly cleaning the bristles because it's catching so much fur. I usually give them at least a cursory brush every other day but I've been brushing Maverick every day now to try to stem the fur loss. Ironically, it seems the more I brush him, the more hair clumps I notice the day after.

I switched them from Nutro Max back to Solid Gold earlier this year, but I did it gradually and they used to eat Solid Gold a few years ago, so I can't imagine that that could be it.

Again, he doesn't seem to have any hot spots and he hasn't been scratching more than usual. More importantly, he doesn't have any bald spots; from what I can tell, he's as fluffy as he always is.

Should I be concerned? I'm not sure it's bothering him but at the same time it's a LOT of hair. I'll walk in the house and it looks like a weave exploded on the carpet and couch.

I have no ideas behind the cause of the excess shedding, but maybe getting him professionally groomed with help with the excess hair, they'll also be able to tell you if they find anything unusual on his skin. It also wouldn't hurt to take him to a vet just to look at him and maybe get a skin sample if you feel like the hair loss is really excessive and isn't letting up.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
My puppy went to her first class last week, which was pretty entertaining as she absolutely LOVES people and dogs so she was all over the place.
The trainer told me to lead her around the other people and dogs just for a quick meet and greet of them all, and one terrier growled at her a bit. The trainer dashed over, picked the terrier up off the ground by the collar and carried it over to my puppy, then held it down on the ground on its side while my puppy sniffed and licked and tried to play with it.

My question is - what the gently caress was that about? It happened so quick I was completely bewildered and then suddenly it was over and we were all doing walk to heel. I felt really awkward about asking the trainer 'what the gently caress did you just do' but I really need to know. She's a positive methods trainer, or so I thought, but that looked really lovely to me. If she had grabbed MY dog by her collar and carried her anywhere I would have gone crazy on her.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

dog days are over posted:

My puppy went to her first class last week, which was pretty entertaining as she absolutely LOVES people and dogs so she was all over the place.
The trainer told me to lead her around the other people and dogs just for a quick meet and greet of them all, and one terrier growled at her a bit. The trainer dashed over, picked the terrier up off the ground by the collar and carried it over to my puppy, then held it down on the ground on its side while my puppy sniffed and licked and tried to play with it.

My question is - what the gently caress was that about? It happened so quick I was completely bewildered and then suddenly it was over and we were all doing walk to heel. I felt really awkward about asking the trainer 'what the gently caress did you just do' but I really need to know. She's a positive methods trainer, or so I thought, but that looked really lovely to me. If she had grabbed MY dog by her collar and carried her anywhere I would have gone crazy on her.

Yeah that's pretty much a classic dominance thing. With a terrier especially the last thing you want to do is make them feel trapped/defensive, because they by and large WILL lash out to get you to go away. The idea behind the move is to make the dog 'relax' and 'learn that a thing isn't a threat' basically but all it does is scare the puppy shitless and make them think of the person as scary and unpredictable and the thing (your puppy in this case but the terrier could easily generalise that to 'all dogs') as a predictor of that scary behaviour.

Are you sure the trainer uses R+ methods? Because it that was my puppy I would not be going back, and I'd be complaining (as I actually did with a trainer I had).

tiddlez
Nov 25, 2006

Nice shirt, Gaywad.
I have another question regarding my Cocker Spaniel puppy Campbell. We recently switched his food back to Beta Puppy, which he was getting from the breeder when we first brought him home, and for the first few days everything was normal. He would scoff his food down and be so excited when it was food time. However the past few days he has barely touched his food at all. I've had to start sitting on the floor with him and making meals a very big deal, and get him all excited about it etc, and seems to only want to eat it if I put some of the food on the floor for him, and he then thinks it's a game?

What could this be? I used to be able to put his dinner down and walk out the room and he'd stay and eat it, but now if i even take a few steps back he wont even consider eating it?

Yesterday I mixed in some tuna with it, as we had been giving him that mixed in as advised by the breeder. And after that he ate more than he's ate in a while, do you think he just isn't liking the taste anymore?

Here are some pictures to thank you in advance for your help!

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

On top of what Fraction said, the idea here is that the terrier pup doesn't learn that if he growls he gets what he wants (space). I think this is a really terribly horribly bad precedent to set.

No, you don't want a dog to growl at everything as he walks down the street, but the solution isn't to punish the growl out - the solution is to change the dog's emotional reaction to what he used to growl at. Punishing a growl can easily lead to a dog who will feel threatened and not offer that valuable growl warning system and go straight to a bite instead.

Not good.

tiddlez posted:

I have another question regarding my Cocker Spaniel puppy Campbell. We recently switched his food back to Beta Puppy, which he was getting from the breeder when we first brought him home, and for the first few days everything was normal. He would scoff his food down and be so excited when it was food time. However the past few days he has barely touched his food at all. I've had to start sitting on the floor with him and making meals a very big deal, and get him all excited about it etc, and seems to only want to eat it if I put some of the food on the floor for him, and he then thinks it's a game?

What could this be? I used to be able to put his dinner down and walk out the room and he'd stay and eat it, but now if i even take a few steps back he wont even consider eating it?

Yesterday I mixed in some tuna with it, as we had been giving him that mixed in as advised by the breeder. And after that he ate more than he's ate in a while, do you think he just isn't liking the taste anymore?

Here are some pictures to thank you in advance for your help!

How's his energy level? Is he lethargic at all? If you notice him acting unnaturally tired or listless it's time for a vet visit. Is he pooping on a regular schedule?

My guess is that the pup is just picky. It's not wise to spend a lot of time trying to coerce a dog to eat. You don't want a dog to think that if he holds out long enough he'll get something really tasty, or he'll get you to painstakingly hand feed him each and every piece of kibble. Put the food down for 15 minutes, and if there's still food there pick it up until the next meal time. If he doesn't eat, he goes hungry. Eventually he'll eat.

I'm not familiar with the brand Beta Puppy. Is it of good quality? It's possible that it's actually just kind of a gross food, taste-wise. So I would give the pup a "gimme" and look into a different brand and see if that changes his eating habits.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Yeah, that is some crazy dominance crap that should never be used on puppies. If you continue to go to that class (I wouldn't and I would tell the trainer exactly why) make very sure you never ever hand off your lead to this person. It's your job to be an advocate for your dog so don't feel pressured to do things that make you uncomfortable.

tiddlez posted:

Puppy not eating.

A sudden disinterest in food would get me to the vet real quick with a puppy. If the vet clears him of anything wrong I would stop mixing things in with the food and start giving him meal times with clear beginnings and ends. If he doesn't eat in 15 minutes he can try again the next meal. Dogs generally won't starve themselves and will start eating again when they're hungry. If you start switching foods whenever he's a bit fussy about eating you can train him to be a picky little poo poo. Again, talk to a vet first to make sure he's not sick.

fistful of hammers
Nov 11, 2011
I need some advice regarding separation anxiety. I work at a pet rescue, and we took in three whippet/IG mix pups a month or two ago from a puppy mill. One of the pups, Rossi, is very outgoing and spunky, while his brother, Costa, is very sensitive (the third went home already). They're about 4 months old.

Because they're been together this long, Costa has bonded extremely closely to Rossi. In order to prepare them for their new lives with adopters, we've been trying to separate them at night. This hasn't been working, though... Poor Costa gets so freaked out that he digs at the gate of his Shoreline, and his paws get all cut up. Short of just putting a blanket over his gate to prevent him from tearing his claws out, is there something I can do to help him realize that being away from his brother isn't the end of the world? We have one of those plush toys that makes a heartbeat and breathing motions; would that be a start, or is he too old to appreciate that by now? Any training suggestions for this little guy?

Thanks for any input!

Here are a couple pics of the little guys:

fistful of hammers fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Nov 22, 2011

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

So I have a bit of a personal question regarding what to do with one of the dogs that myself, my girlfriend, and my roommate all own and take care of together. We'll be moving in a month, and I'm feeling apprehensive.

We have two dogs, one is an American Bulldog. He's sweet, old, lazy and housebroken. Very good with kids and a little skittish, but only with strangers. Overall, he's not an issue at all. Walks on a leash well, etc etc.

The other dog is technically my girlfriend's dog - she calls it hers, but we all take care of it. The dog is an Australian Shepherd, EXTREMELY high energy, loud, and hates to be confined. The issue is that next month, we'll be moving to a place without a yard. The bulldog won't be a problem, as he is calm and easy to walk and such. However, the shepherd has never been in a house overnight, cannot be walked on a leash by anyone other than our roommate, and tends to be destructive when bored.

I want to find a better home for her instead of forcing her to live in an apartment setting. The other thing is that I'm pregnant, and at home all day while everyone else is at work. There will be a point at which I am simply physically unable to take care of both dogs while they are gone. My girlfriend wants to work with the dog, but we're moving in a month, which is not enough time for her to train the dog, especially since her "training" consists of yelling, alpha rolling, smacking on the nose, that sort of thing. And she barely spends 5 minutes a day doing it now.

I don't want to force her to give up "her" dog, but at the same time I know for a fact I cannot care for it on my own, which I basically will be since they work 5/7 days a week.

I've tried bringing it up to my girlfriend, but she wants to "try to see" how the dog will do. My issue is that I know the dog will not do well. The shepherd needs lots of room, and an apartment is not enough for a very young high energy breed. Even now I get on to other members of the house because I'm the only one willing to clip her nails and get the mats out of her fur. It's like no one else notices.

Does anyone know of a way that I can convince my girlfriend to give the dog to a better home? I even have a relative looking for a farm dog, and she's perfect for that, still has herding instinct and everything. My roommate and I both agree it's not a good idea to keep her in an apartment, but we're having trouble convincing my gf.
Any ideas? Maybe issue some sort of ultimatum? My gf has said already she'll try to train the dogs, and I've sent her the entirety of PI's training thread intro posts, but she is either too busy or too tired from work to even attempt it. I don't want to make it a "It's me or the dog" (hurr) situation, but I don't want to make it sound like it's okay that she wants to dump an untrained hyperactive dog on me while I'm pregnant without any help during the day.

Summary of that: we have a hyperactive dog my girlfriend wants to keep even though I'll end up taking care of it and am/will be physically unable to. Moving to an apartment in a month. Don't want to be unfair to the dog or my girlfriend, but don't want to sacrifice my sanity to train a dog AND take care of kids I babysit, myself, and a future baby.
Thoughts?

Hardwood Floor fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 21, 2011

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

The dog has never slept inside? How long have you had it? Honestly it sounds like your gf is not willing to put in the effort for a dog like that and you need to put your foot down ASAP. Especially if you already found a good working home. Just tell her Everything you said in your post and if she refuses issue an ultimatum

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Plus_Infinity posted:

The dog has never slept inside? How long have you had it? Honestly it sounds like your gf is not willing to put in the effort for a dog like that and you need to put your foot down ASAP. Especially if you already found a good working home. Just tell her Everything you said in your post and if she refuses issue an ultimatum

Well I used to live with my roommate about a year ago*. We got her and Corbin (the bulldog) at the same time. Unfortunately I left, and as far as I know, she's mostly kept in the fenced-in yard with a large doghouse and plenty of space, but she still gets antsy and bored because there's no one to play with her (Corbin is in a separate lot because of aggression towards other dogs he's displayed, and he comes inside regularly).

So she's been an "outside dog" for about a year, and before that she'd been in a kennel for at least 6 months, and before that we have no idea. She's likely never been inside for longer than the times she's taken in here (bout 2-3 hours at a time, only when everyone is home).

Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to have to sit down with everyone later and just say it point blank instead of saying "this may be a problem", it will be a problem.
What sort of ultimatum would be appropriate for that situation?

*I moved away about a month after we got the dogs, in about November 2010. I just recently moved back here in late September this year.

Etheldreda
Jun 1, 2008

There's this cat who has been visiting me for almost a month and I'm not sure if it's a stray. It has no collar but has shiny fur, isn't underweight and is definitely very friendly. It shows up during the daytime if I'm at home, but I've never seen it at night. I put a spare collar on it after a couple of its visits, with a note taped to it saying "Am I homeless? I should have an address". The next day, the collar was gone.

If it's homeless, I want to take care of it... but if it belongs to someone, I want it to have a collar so it doesn't get taken in by the animal control folks. What would you guys do?

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

I know I'm going through my own ordeal here, but Etheldreda: did the cat seem to take to the collar at all? I used to own a cat when I was 10 who would pull off collars because he hated the feel of them. It's possible that it's a stray being fed elsewhere, and took the collar of itself, but it's hard to say. I'd call animal control regardless, especially if it's a free-roaming collarless cat and especially especially if it's near a highway. That's not safe for the cat even if it has an owner.

Etheldreda
Jun 1, 2008

Kitty seemed not to mind the collar, but I know cats have a way of escaping from them. Either that or its owner took it off. Hardline nudist?

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

The idea of a "nudist extremist" who would push it on their pets is seriously making me laugh.

Who knows though, maybe it's a crazy cat lady who thinks collars are bad. A landlord I used to live near was like that; thought that collaring was a sign of dominance and putting a collar on made your dog subservient instead of your equal/friend or something.
I have no idea. :psyduck:

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Bear Rape posted:

Who knows though, maybe it's a crazy cat lady who thinks collars are bad. A landlord I used to live near was like that; thought that collaring was a sign of dominance and putting a collar on made your dog subservient instead of your equal/friend or something.
I have no idea. :psyduck:

Sounds like something a real crazy PETA enthusiast (AKA my sister) would say. I think my sister believes crating is mean too. :eng99:

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

The weird thing is, he never trained them, at all, because he thought that was bad. Then he let them have free roam of the house, gettin mad when they'd pee inside. He also never neutered/spayed because his Great Dane mix would have "amazing puppies" with his husky mix.

I think it's more out of laziness than anything else he claimed, though. Also he really really hated cats.

Nonsensical pet ownership is so common in the southeastern US, though.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bear Rape posted:

Nonsensical pet ownership is so common in the southeastern US, though.

You can find people with odd ideas about pet ownership everywhere.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Bear Rape posted:

Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to have to sit down with everyone later and just say it point blank instead of saying "this may be a problem", it will be a problem.
What sort of ultimatum would be appropriate for that situation?
I'd emphasize how completely unfair it is to the dog for it to be bored out of its mind all the time when a perfectly good home for it available. Your girlfriend needs to take a big girl pill and do what's best for the dog.

If that doesn't get through to her, then it sounds it's you putting money into the dogs, which means they're technically yours. Dogs are considered property, it's how it works. Especially if you've paid for the vet bills and general care this entire time. You're within your rights to rehome the dog.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
I just had some yahoo tell me that Laxatone is terrible for cats and is poison, and that it "kills all the natural fauna in cat stomachs"

I've never heard this before. It sounds like bullshit, but i'd love a confirmation anyway.

Now, I have two cats with hairball problems that Laxatone has helped a lot. Should I consider switching to "laxatone natural" with codliver oils?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

nitrogen posted:

I just had some yahoo tell me that Laxatone is terrible for cats and is poison, and that it "kills all the natural fauna in cat stomachs"

I've never heard this before. It sounds like bullshit, but i'd love a confirmation anyway.

Now, I have two cats with hairball problems that Laxatone has helped a lot. Should I consider switching to "laxatone natural" with codliver oils?

My vet gave me laxatone for my cats. I trust her.