Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

AtomikKrab posted:

Awesome Alphas the mongoose, gives 0 fucks and kicks the hermes, ignore the raven it is a non threat. Good chance for one mech to kill two in a turn, everyone else should start moving southwards.

alphaing the mongoose will more than likely blow off a limb and make it unable to push, the others can't push because of lost limbs already so this will keep you safe.

If this is correct then this is the course of action.

Have the other mechs move into cover from the bombardier and the gaussie and use your storm powers thingy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"

AJ_Impy posted:

Hmm. With her piloting skills, can we risk just walking backwards into the water?

Well... This turn it would take you out of melee range, and the Awesome would benefit from the four heat sinks in its legs effectively having upgraded to Clan Doubles. Its heat capacity would rise from 28 to 32, meaning it would easily dissipate all the heat from alphastriking.

But, it would take you out of melee range, meaning you couldn't deliver a JUSTICE FOOT to one of those little pests. Next turn, they could move in to box you in, and now you're facing up to three kicks at short range, one of which is hitting on the punch table.

If the enemy 'mechs in question were heavier, I'd say absolutely, positively not. As it is, though, well... It's very risky, and I wouldn't, but it's not a deathly stupid idea, either.

quote:

Failing that, can we take the inhibitors off?

Don't do that. Without the inhibitors, the PPCs have no minimum range, they just run the risk of blowing up if your dice roll low enough. With the inhibitors on, you just have a penalty to-hit that Rebecca's massive piloting score easily compensates for.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
Ignore what ShadowDragon says regarding PPC inhibitors. They are terrible things only meant to cause lesser men peril. True warriors do not fear explosions, but revel in them.

Therefore the only course of action is to disable the PPC inhibitors for the noble purpose of crushing oversized beer cans.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

ArbitraryTA posted:

Ignore what ShadowDragon says regarding PPC inhibitors. They are terrible things only meant to cause lesser men peril. True warriors do not fear explosions, but revel in them.

Therefore the only course of action is to disable the PPC inhibitors for the noble purpose of crushing oversized beer cans.
This. They've ganged up on the Awesome because they think they're safe inside it's PPC range.

Show them pain.

Edit: Well I'd forgotten just how dangerous that could be. Only do this if you're drunk enough to black out after sending in your orders.

90s Cringe Rock fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Nov 21, 2011

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"
Well, let's crunch the numbers on saying "drat the torpedoes, all PPCs ahead!"

Rebecca has a Gunnery skill 2. Minimum range +3. Before weather and movement, she's shooting on 5s... Not ideal, but not terrible.

The Raven moved 3 hexes. +1
The Hermes moved 6 hexes. +2
The Mongoose moved 8 hexes. +3

If the Awesome uses its break in the wind (or if one of its teammates benevolently declares their own this turn,) then the Awesome, without disengaging its PPCs is shooting as follows:

Raven: TH 6 (72.22% chance of hitting per shot)
Hermes: TH 7 (58.33% chance of hitting per shot)
Mongoose: TH 8 (41.66% chance of hitting per shot.)

The Raven gives the best odds of hitting it, but the least utility in shooting it given that it's already been neutered and all it can do is kick you. The Hermes has better-than-even odds of hitting it, and it has two Medium Lasers, paper-thin armor and a Flamer (Oooh, watch that!), while the Mongoose, despite being five tons lighter than the Hermes, is more heavily-armed and armored, carrying three medium lasers and a small laser.

Now, let's look at those odds with the PPC inhibitors off, shall we?

Raven: TH 3 (97.22% chance of hitting per shot.)
Hermes: TH 4 (91.66% chance of hitting per shot.)
Mongoose TH 5 (83.33% chance of hitting per shot.)

Well, those numbers are a lot better, I'll grant you. Even if shot at the Mongoose, you stand a good chance of just blowing it up outright in one salvo...

And, at Range 1, you stand a good chance of blowing yourself up outright. You need to roll a 10+ to avoid PPC explosion at range 1 with the PPC inhibitor off. That means that each shot you fire has an 83.33% chance of blowing up your PPC and dealing 10 Internal damage to each location. You'll kill your target, but you'll more than double their weapon output against you and castrate yourself in the process.

This is not a good plan. The only time this is a good plan is when it's the last enemy on the field and you'll have him dead-to-rights if you blow the inhibitors.

Also, you've got to watch out for that flamer. If it hits (and it will probably hit,) it's going to raise your heat level by 3. Firing all your PPCs and the small laser will generate 31 heat, the flamer will raise it to 34. You'll sink 28, leaving you at heat 6, which will penalize you next round......

Under better circumstances, I'd never recommend any of the following: Backing down a hill (technically not allowed under current TW rules, but PTN has already set precedent for allowing it), backing into depth 1 water, or hugging the edge of a map-sheet. Now I'm going to recommend all three: back into 0301. You'd get Partial Cover, negating any shots that roll up leg locations, and increase your heat capacity from 28 to 32, but you'll be making PSRs. You'll develop 34 heat in the most likely scenario, sink 32, and be primed to alpha-strike again in the next round. The enemy will have 5 chances to do 5 damage to you and 1 chance to do 3 damage to you, so there's a possibility you'll fail a PSR and fall in water, but she's a good pilot.

You'll also have to roll just to make the move: according to the precedent set in The Vipers of Somerset update 5, backing down a hill is a PSR with no modifier. There's also a PSR for entering depth 1 water, at a -1 modifier. That's a roll of 3 (97.22% chance to pass) for backing down the hill, and a roll of 2 (100% chance to pass) for entering the water...

It's not a sure thing; the Wolfhound that made the move that set this precedent blew a 97.22% chance of backing down a hill and knocked his leg off in the process... But it beats the alternative, which is taking a savage mauling from five medium lasers and getting your heat spiked so badly you'll have to not shoot one of your PPCs in order to avoid overheating, followed up by those three 'mechs kicking you in the shins.

It will also raise your TH numbers by 1:

Raven: TH 7 (58.33% chance of hitting per shot)
Hermes: TH 8 (41.66% chance of hitting per shot)
Mongoose: TH 9 (27.77% chance of hitting per shot.)

But the resulting defensive bonuses; ignoring all leg hits, not suffering the fate of every movie bad guy to ever get gang-banged by five-year-olds with hard shoes - are worth it, in my estimation.

My advice, Canopus? Back into 0301 and alpha strike the Hermes. The enemy won't be able to kick you, and their shots will be at just under 1/4th of a chance to be ignored completely. You'll stand a good chance of disabling, or at least diminishing the Hermes, and unless those Piloting 5 pilots want to risk the water, only one of them can move in to melee range next turn - granted, he'll be kicking on the punch table, but at this point your choices are limited to "risk mitigation," not "risk avoidance."

My advice to the rest of the Lance: Rescue the Awesome. It's facing a gang-bang that's far too close to being a fair fight for your liking, and it's your can-opener, you need it alive.

ShadowDragon8685 fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Nov 21, 2011

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

AJ_Impy posted:

Hmm. With her piloting skills, can we risk just walking backwards into the water?

Failing that, can we take the inhibitors off?

You can't back down a level change, period.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I highly disagree with any plan to turn off the inhibitors :colbert:

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

You can't back down a level change, period.

Well, that changes a lot and renders my previous tactical analysis invalid (hint: Alpha Strike the Hermes, kick the Hermes if it's still alive or the Raven if it isn't, and pray to God/Allah/Sol Invictus/The Flying Spaghetti Monster your teamies rescue you before next round.)

But PTN, you already set precedent to allow backing down a level change. In The Vipers of Somerset, Tactical Update 7, you allowed Spencerb to back his Wolfhound down a level change at a null PSR modifier. (You also, I believe, allowed Mukaikubo to back his 'mech down a hill later on in that same fight.)

Granted, it didn't work out so well for them either time, but the Wolfhound's legs being made of balsa wood instead of steel was a fluke of the dice, and Samantha had already been beaten to hell before she tried and flubbed the PSR.

ShadowDragon8685 fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Nov 21, 2011

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

You need to roll a 10+ to avoid PPC explosion at range 1 with the PPC inhibitor off. That means that each shot you fire has an 83.33% chance of blowing up your PPC and dealing 10 Internal damage to each location.

Please do not do this. :(

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Artificer posted:

Please do not do this. :(

Don't... Give advice? Don't quote the numerical probability of an Awesome explodinating itself with the PPC inhibitors off at point-blank range? Don't fire three PPCs at point-blank range with the inhibitors off?

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Don't... Give advice? Don't quote the numerical probability of an Awesome explodinating itself with the PPC inhibitors off at point-blank range? Don't fire three PPCs at point-blank range with the inhibitors off?

Seems obvious to me.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Affi posted:

Seems obvious to me.

Me too, but with the internet and the lack of context, it was hard to be certain.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Me too, but with the internet and the lack of context, it was hard to be certain.

No, no, no... stop giving well thought out advice, with numbers to back it up. That's just ruining the thread track-record. :arghfist::v:

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Tarquinn posted:

No, no, no... stop giving well thought out advice, with numbers to back it up. That's just ruining the thread track-record. :arghfist::v:

Alright, here's some alternate advice, then.

drat the torpedoes, blow the inhibitors and fire everything at the Raven, then kick it so many times you make that Awesome do the Russian squat-dance on its mechanical corpse. Five medium lasers? Flamer? PPC explosions? Gross misuse of time and opportunity? Who gives a toss, annihilate the little bastard! The only reason I'm not advising a DFA is because you ain't got jump jets, so this is the next most self-destructively :black101: thing I can think.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Just because you aint got jumpjets don't mean your mech can't jump does it?

ELBOW DROP

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Affi posted:

Just because you aint got jumpjets don't mean your mech can't jump does it?

Unfortunately, Mechanical Jump Boosters won't be invented for another 30 years.

Affi posted:

ELBOW DROP

And they're explicitly disallowed from use for DFA attacks.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

Unfortunately, Mechanical Jump Boosters won't be invented for another 30 years.

And they're explicitly disallowed from use for DFA attacks.
Fun is lostech. :colbert:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

ShadowDragon8685 posted:

I meant don't turn the inhibitors off, yeah. :)

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

What are PPC inhibitors supposed to be/do? Why do clan PPCs (apparently?) not have them? I have never heard of them before.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Arglebargle III posted:

What are PPC inhibitors supposed to be/do? Why do clan PPCs (apparently?) not have them? I have never heard of them before.

clans only have erppcs which have no minimum range. Basically without cut and pasting the rules, turning off the field inhibitor of a ppc remove the minimum rnage but with the chance the ppc will explode.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Axe-man posted:

clans only have erppcs which have no minimum range. Basically without cut and pasting the rules, turning off the field inhibitor of a ppc remove the minimum rnage but with the chance the ppc will explode.

Honestly if the chance that the PPC will explode is if you roll under ten then.. yeah.. that loving sucks. If it had been like a 5 or something it'd at least be useful occasionally.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Okay but why do PPCs even explode at all? When ERPPCs don't?

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Affi posted:

Honestly if the chance that the PPC will explode is if you roll under ten then.. yeah.. that loving sucks. If it had been like a 5 or something it'd at least be useful occasionally.

actaully, i'm checking tacops on that. I never do it personally.

yeah, it's 10+ roll for it, range of 1 is a bitch for it, but range 3 is 3+ range 2 6+ so it's mainly good for things just inside the range. I personally wouldn't take the risk, but then again, I tend to have kinda bad streaks.

personally, i'd have the awesome go for some long range shots on the other gauss urbie, and melee the lights.
VVVV

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Nov 21, 2011

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Thankfully, this scenario works out well for the players. The Awesome can easily take whatever piddling damage the lights and the Whitworth might do, and you might be able to neuter the rest of the lights. As long as three of the enemy mechs are sitting back that far, you have the advantage of weight of fire to go along with your superior pilots and armor.

Turkey shoot.

As for the PPC Inhibitor. It is a roll of 10 on a target 1 hex away, 6 on a target 2 hexes away, and 3 on a 3 hex target. Just not worth it.

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Nov 21, 2011

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Arglebargle III posted:

ERPPCS have no minimum range at all. PPCs the fluff reason why is there is a field inhibitor that allows the ppc to function, but make it hard to charge and aim at close range. ERPPCS are updated versions of it, that were made just before the fall of the star league. in reality it was more that in the old days ppcs filled a different role than they do now days. TacOps has alot of rules for older weapons that tries to make them more effective with the modern ruleset and weapons.

IS ERPPCS don't do it either
VVVVV

Axe-man fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Nov 21, 2011

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Arglebargle III posted:

Because clan everything is better.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
ISERPPCs have no minimum range either. PPCs are still amazing and inexpensive weapons. The 5 less heat is very nice.

9Q is the best AWS for this reason.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
So how does spotting work? Because it looks to me as if the Awesome is set up to take two LRM-20s and two LRM-10s in addition to the attacks from the lights... unless it's possible for one of the lights to spot indirect missile fire onto the back of some other mech. Can you only spot if the target is in front of you, and can you torso-twist to meet that condition?

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Narsham posted:

So how does spotting work? Because it looks to me as if the Awesome is set up to take two LRM-20s and two LRM-10s in addition to the attacks from the lights... unless it's possible for one of the lights to spot indirect missile fire onto the back of some other mech. Can you only spot if the target is in front of you, and can you torso-twist to meet that condition?

A mech can spot for any mech sporting LRMs that is in range, but has no Line of Sight. Standard TH modifiers apply, along with a +1 TH for spotting, a +1 TH if the spotter is firing, and the spotters movement modifier.

The Whitworth already has Line of Sight on the Awesome and the Bombardier will probably have a better shot on a different mech, so it probably isn't a concern. That might change if the players decide to clear the weather this turn.

cwDeici
Oct 29, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Arglebargle III posted:

for game balance?

I can't imagine aiming at something close up would cause anything except stormtroopers to explode, so it must have something to do with arming whatever comes out of the PPC too early? Which doesn't seem to make any sense at all since it's an energy weapon if I guess correctly...

What's the PPCs destructive force made out of anyway? Is it something more solid that would require some sort of arming process?

To me, with my very limited knowledge, it seems it'd make more sense to forbid shooting at very close ranges and just apply huge negative modifiers for the to-hit, but I guess that'd screw up the weapon too much.

Narsham: I think those LRMs are inside its minimum range. I think they'll be going elsewhere (not sure whether a mech can fire missiles in a different direction from where it is facing, but probably, otherwise it'd be pretty difficult to hit fighters).

cwDeici fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Nov 21, 2011

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

cwDeici posted:

for game balance?

I can't imagine aiming at something close up would cause anything except stormtroopers to explode, so it must have something to do with arming whatever comes out of the PPC too early? Which doesn't seem to make any sense at all since it's an energy weapon if I guess correctly...

What's the PPCs destructive force made out of anyway? Is it something more solid that would require some sort of arming process?

To me, with my very limited knowledge, it seems it'd make more sense to forbid shooting at very close ranges and just apply huge negative modifiers for the to-hit, but I guess that'd screw up the weapon too much.

PPCs are basically man made lightening cannons. to get more into it, would require either looking up TacOps or a btech novel.

cwDeici
Oct 29, 2011

by Ozmaugh

Axe-man posted:

PPCs are basically man made lighting cannons. to get more into it, would require either looking up TacOps or a btech novel.

Oh, they're BT tesla-cannons? That acually makes some sense at least. : )
I'll check it up myself. Thanks ^^

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Axe-man posted:

PPCs are basically man made lightening cannons. to get more into it, would require either looking up TacOps or a btech novel.

Not true! It might look like lightning, but the PPC actually fires an ion or proton bolt from a magnetic accelerator. The electrical part is actually a burst of static. The PPC Capacitor is there to prevent the unfocused static from overloading the electronics.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Felime posted:

ISERPPCs have no minimum range either. PPCs are still amazing and inexpensive weapons. The 5 less heat is very nice.

9Q is the best AWS for this and many other reasons.

Reasons like not having an XL engine, not carrying any ammo, being a crit-eating unkillable zombie, and packing a Guardian ECM because why the gently caress not?

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Mary Annette posted:

Reasons like not having an XL engine, not carrying any ammo, being a crit-eating unkillable zombie, and packing a Guardian ECM because why the gently caress not?

Indeed! Though occasionally I wish it packed an extra DHS or two instead of the GECM. Make it slightly more heat-stable.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Shoeless posted:

Indeed! Though occasionally I wish it packed an extra DHS or two instead of the GECM. Make it slightly more heat-stable.

Check the -9Qs crit tables. It's jam-packed except for two slots each in the CT and legs. There is literally no room for another DHS, even though the weight is there.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Mary Annette posted:

Check the -9Qs crit tables. It's jam-packed except for two slots each in the CT and legs. There is literally no room for another DHS, even though the weight is there.

I would love to see a 9Q with the ECM, small laser, and half a ton of armor stripped off, replaced with c3i. It combines the pure bullshit that is c3i along with the amazing power of four PPCs on a zombie mech. SO GOOD!

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Mary Annette posted:

Well crap. Yeah, I suppose that wouldn't work then.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Axe-man posted:

I think this is yet another Stackpole-ism. PPC stands for Particle Projection Cannon so presumably they are some kind of superpowered cyclotron hooked up to a magnetic firing chamber. I guess they probably would cause all kinds of electrical weirdness when you shoot them*, but that's a side effect. The damage is caused by transferring momentum to the target just like any projectile weapon, only in the particle beam's case the mass is super-low and the speed is super-high. If you could use a neutron beam there would be no electrical side effects, but you can't use a cyclotron to accelerate neutrons.

*I have no idea of the realistic scale of those effects.

If only there was some Battlemech-portable device that generated very fast neutrons. Something like, I dunno, a fusion reactor. And they would need some kind of neutron-reflective material to focus it, like, for example, the housing of a fusion reactor. Then maybe you could create a neutron weapon that would bypass the electrical side effects of a proton beam. If only the BT universe had access to those kinds of technologies...

:eng99:

Still, I had never heard of PPCs having a built-in explosion device. Presumably ERPPCs get around this fundamental physics problem in their almost-identical cousins somehow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I believe the ability to disengage the PPC Inhibitors is a TacOps optional rule anyway.

• Locked thread