Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Mickolution posted:

1. Not a goal. In a shootout, once the ball starts to move away from the goal, the kick is over.

Isn't the rule that the player can't kick it in off the rebound? It's the same as if someone hits the post and it goes in off the keepers head who dives for it, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

euroboy posted:

Isn't the rule that the player can't kick it in off the rebound? It's the same as if someone hits the post and it goes in off the keepers head who dives for it, right?

Well there are no rebounds from a shootout, anyway. I think there's a rule about the direction the ball is travelling in. I guess we'll know on Monday.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Mickolution posted:

Well there are no rebounds from a shootout, anyway. I think there's a rule about the direction the ball is travelling in. I guess we'll know on Monday.

I'm pretty sure that it'd count, the weird backspin penalty that got posted in the video thread counted as a goal didn't it?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
I think it did, but I'm not sure it should have.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Mickolution posted:

I think it did, but I'm not sure it should have.

That might as well be the title of this thread, there's so many laws that get waived for reasons of laziness/ ref self preservation that it's impossible to answer a difficult question with any accuracy.

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

Mickolution posted:

1. Not a goal. In a shootout, once the ball starts to move away from the goal, the kick is over.

I thought the ball going forward rule existed, but recently we've had two examples:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6-4vyrtWd8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDoQXXBzXzI

Both counted.

I emailed FIFA for a clarification and I got a bullshit response saying:

quote:

Dear JingleBells,

Thank you for your enquiry regarding the Laws of the Game.

We regret to inform you that we are not in a position to answer specific questions regarding the Laws of the Game (that may be found at: http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/federation/81/42/36/lotg_en.pdf) as the reply may fall under the competence of the International FA Board.

We trust that you will find this of use to you.

Yours sincerely,

Mewcenary
Jan 9, 2004
1. It's a goal. Penalty kick is over when the referee deems it to be. No idea where that 'Ball moving away from goal' rubbish has come from. Read the Laws!

2. That's what goalkeepers do. Since when is a goalkeeper diving on the ball as someone is about to kick it Playing in a Dangerous Manner? IDFK would be insane.

3. If it's deliberate to try and act as a distraction, then it's an IDFK and a caution. However, nothing in the question makes it look deliberate, so give the goal!

JingleBells
Jan 7, 2007

Oh what fun it is to see the Harriers win away!

Mewcenary posted:

1. It's a goal. Penalty kick is over when the referee deems it to be. No idea where that 'Ball moving away from goal' rubbish has come from. Read the Laws!

The closest I can get is:

quote:

A kick is successful if, having been touched once by the kicker, it crosses the goal line without going out of play or touching any player other than the defending goalkeeper. The ball may touch the goalkeeper, posts, or crossbar any number of times before going into the net.

This was clarified after an incident in the 1986 World Cup shoot-out between Brazil and France. Bruno Bellone's kick rebounded out off the post, hit goalkeeper Carlos's back, and subsequently bounced into the goal. Referee Ioan Igna gave the goal to France, and Brazil captain Edinho was booked for protesting that the kick should have been considered a miss as soon as it rebounded off the post.

In 1987, the IFAB clarified Law 14, covering penalty kicks, to support Igna's decision

Mewcenary
Jan 9, 2004
That is correct as per Law.

The other very relevant quote:

quote:

The referee decides when the penalty kick has been completed.

Law 14.

(Recently got promoted in 'referee world' so tend to have an interest in this stuff!)

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Mickolution posted:

gently caress, didn't think about that at all.

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
1) A KFTPM is still live until the ball has been stopped, crossed the goal line, or has moved a 'reasonable distance' from the goal. Goal.

2) The keeper's head ends up inches from a striker's boot about 347896 times a game. Play on.

3) You can probably make the argument that this was intentional, and then file it under unsporting behavior. Caution, IDFK on the goal area.

Psybro
May 12, 2002

SteadfastMeat posted:

It's Friday!

1) No goal.

2) This is unsporting play as the striker cannot contest the ball without putting the keeper in danger, so award the indirect free kick and book the keeper.

3) What the gently caress? Is goal.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

1. Goal, a penalty kick ends when the ref says it does, not when the ball hits the crossbar.

2. We can't let the keeper get away with this, it's reckless. The keeper's going to get kicked in the head doing that. Indirect free kick, caution the keeper for being unsporting/reckless/a oval office.

3. Not the striker's fault the keeper is a moron. Goal. Hackett will say it's unsporting behaviour and IDFK I'm sure though.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Nov 19, 2011

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
1)Goal
2)Keeper has the ball so it's a goal kick
3)Goal

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Giovanni_Sinclair posted:

2)Keeper has the ball so it's a goal kick

I see

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
1) goal
2) retake but turn your back so you don't see the attacker smash the keepers head in with his boot
3) goal

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Psybro posted:

2) This is unsporting play as the striker cannot contest the ball without putting the keeper in danger, so award the indirect free kick and book the keeper.

Of course he can, he just kicks it. Attempting a diving header in the box isn't unsporting play either so why should this be?

Psybro
May 12, 2002

Scikar posted:

Of course he can, he just kicks it. Attempting a diving header in the box isn't unsporting play either so why should this be?

Since the ball is dead, this is more akin to encroaching on a set piece. There's nothing to say the goalkeeper has to be the player contesting the drop ball, and it gives an advantage to the defending side (he can use his hands) which the attacking side doesn't have.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
Keith Hackett's verdict

1) It's a goal. The same law applies in a shoot-out as for a penalty in extended time: "A goal is awarded if, before passing between the goalposts and under the crossbar the ball touches either or both of the goalposts and/or the crossbar and/or the goalkeeper." You decide when the kick has been completed, but you must allow the ball to finish its course. If it's any consolation to the keeper, he can expect many millions of hits on YouTube... Thanks to Duncan Childs.
2) Award the free-kick – but not because the keeper handled the ball. Once the ball hits the ground it is in play – so it's fine for the keeper to gain possession with his hands. However, that only applies when the dropped ball is uncontested, as they often are inside the area. In this situation, the keeper is guilty of dangerous play because his action caused danger to himself, so award an indirect free-kick against the defending side. Duncan Turton wins the shirt.
3) Award the goal. You'd have to be very certain that a deliberate unsporting act had been committed to disallow it. Calm the players down, make the striker aware that you understand what has been alleged, and include it all in your report. Thanks to Patrick Somerfield.

2) makes no sense to me.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

"guilty of dangerous play because his action caused danger to himself"

That sounds like absolute bollocks.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Scientastic posted:

"guilty of dangerous play because his action caused danger to himself"

That sounds like absolute bollocks.

Surely it is absolute bollocks; it's not any different to a keeper going down for a ball with a striker bearing down on him.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
A drop ball (when not uncontested by the attacking side) is supposed to be a 50/50 chance thing, surely if a keeper is putting his face in the way he's making it so the attacking player can't contest for the ball without risking injury to the keeper.

Psybro
May 12, 2002

pik_d posted:

A drop ball (when not uncontested by the attacking side) is supposed to be a 50/50 chance thing, surely if a keeper is putting his face in the way he's making it so the attacking player can't contest for the ball without risking injury to the keeper.

Yeah, this. The keeper is preventing the other player from being able to kick the ball within the Laws, and the point of the contested drop ball is that either team has a shot at winning it.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Mewcenary posted:

Law 14.

(Recently got promoted in 'referee world' so tend to have an interest in this stuff!)

Good lad. Are you going for 6-5 straight away?

s0meb0dy0
Feb 27, 2004

The death of a child is always a tragedy, but let's put this in perspective, shall we? I mean they WERE palestinian.

Trin Tragula posted:

For everyone else, what does this mean? I'm curious how the referees I see get to that level.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!

s0meb0dy0 posted:

For everyone else, what does this mean? I'm curious how the referees I see get to that level.

My certification expired a few years ago, so excuse me if I'm a little off, but this should be fairly accurate. Also, I don't know exactly how they separate it over in euroland, but I'd imagine its similar, but you start as a grade 8. 8 is pretty much entry level (doing town league games and such), 7 is local level with some experience, which you can upgrade to after a year or two. 5 and 6 are "state" level, where you'd end up probably doing state and regional contests and tournaments, city travel team games and the like. 3 and 4 are "national" where you'd be able to do MLS and other pro or semi-pro (5 may even do semi pro, I'm not sure). 2 is a FIFA linesman, 1 is a FIFA ref.

Mewcenary
Jan 9, 2004

Trin Tragula posted:

I am indeed. I'm on the enhanced promotion scheme this year, which allows me to jump two promotion levels in one season. It also means doing twice as much work in order to do that!

So level 5 in March if all goes well.

For the non-referee types: The lower the better for the level. When I get level 4 I can start refereeing supply league fixtures here in the UK.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)
So, putting that together, MLS refs wouldn't even be allowed to ref League games in the UK, assuming the levels are comparable? I knew they sucked.

e: And yes, I know that a lot of the usual suspects are FIFA refs too, but still.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

My certification expired a few years ago, so excuse me if I'm a little off, but this should be fairly accurate. Also, I don't know exactly how they separate it over in euroland, but I'd imagine its similar, but you start as a grade 8. 8 is pretty much entry level (doing town league games and such), 7 is local level with some experience, which you can upgrade to after a year or two. 5 and 6 are "state" level, where you'd end up probably doing state and regional contests and tournaments, city travel team games and the like. 3 and 4 are "national" where you'd be able to do MLS and other pro or semi-pro (5 may even do semi pro, I'm not sure). 2 is a FIFA linesman, 1 is a FIFA ref.

I found a page that explains it over in Engerland. You start at 7 (refs under 16 start at 8) and have to reach 1 to do League football at all. 4 is the big stumbling block where you have to pass a big old fitness test and all that. You don't get to do semi-pro football until 4. Anyone who's kicked off the ref list anywhere between 1 and 4 automatically goes back to 5.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Nov 23, 2011

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!

Luigi Thirty posted:

I found a page that explains it over in Engerland. You start at 7 (refs under 16 start at 8) and have to reach 1 to do League football at all. 4 is the big stumbling block where you have to pass a big old fitness test and all that. You don't get to do semi-pro football until 4. Anyone who's kicked off the ref list anywhere between 1 and 4 automatically goes back to 5.

It looks really as if they start a bit higher, and can progress higher more quickly, just as numbering goes. I'd say a large, large percentage of US refs are 5 or lower, whereas in England I'd imagine the lowest you'd want to be is 4 or 5.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Mewcenary posted:

I am indeed. I'm on the enhanced promotion scheme this year, which allows me to jump two promotion levels in one season. It also means doing twice as much work in order to do that!

So level 5 in March if all goes well.

For the non-referee types: The lower the better for the level. When I get level 4 I can start refereeing supply league fixtures here in the UK.

Excellent! Which supply league are you lining on, and which contributory league would you line on if you get your 4?

Baggins
Feb 21, 2007

Like a Great Wind!
Frrrriday!

1: Yes. Also report to the league.

2: Yes. Don't think the LOAF covers the eventuality.

3: Check with assistants. If no one saw it the goal stands.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
Here's our Billy the Badger getting sent off against Villa for breakdancing on the pitch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zdfztm1Mx74

Thel
Apr 28, 2010

1: Sure can. If you can't do that, then call the game off with a away win by default because the home team failed to keep it's idiots under control. Likelihood of a ref ever actually doing this: 0%

2: Sure why not.

3: Nobody saw it, so the goal stands. If you're going for MAXIMUM oval office, book both of them for diving.

Mewcenary
Jan 9, 2004
1. Yep, bin him.

2. Great goal.

3. Goal stands, unless a neutral Assistant Referee saw an offence, in which case you can bring play back as required.

Mewcenary
Jan 9, 2004

Trin Tragula posted:

Excellent! Which supply league are you lining on, and which contributory league would you line on if you get your 4?

Combined Counties is 'my' supply league. I am not lining on it this year due to having to concentrate on as many middles as possible. However, I'm getting plenty of lines in the mid-week U18 youth league (typically supply league academy sides) and in appropriate county cup appointments.

I'm now a registered referee on the supply league's Div 1 and Reserves divisions. These aren't 'actual' supply league games but obviously feature the same setup, neutral assistants and so on. I've been granted permission to do those as development games, which is great !

As a 4, I'd imagine I'd be lining on the likes of the Southern League...

Newbori
May 4, 2009
1. Tell your 4th official to get rid off him. Or for hilarity purposes go over and red-card him.

2. Sure, why not?

3. Unless someone saw something that interfered with play, no reason to disallow it.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Could be something about smaller pitches in the law that stops the keepers "shooting" in any way, maybe.

Mewcenary
Jan 9, 2004

Hoops posted:

Could be something about smaller pitches in the law that stops the keepers "shooting" in any way, maybe.

No such Law exists. Either the field of play is legal in terms of its dimensions, or it is not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

I'm sure I've seen it before, something along the lines of you can't score a goal with a throw, whether it's a throw-in or from the goalkeeper.

• Locked thread