Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

KetTarma posted:

Hell, being stuck at a-school is possibly the best deal in the nuclear field.
You get your pick of the dropout honeys. :quagmire:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
He was later transferred to kings bay where he worked with people who were getting kicked out.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
ahahah Senior chief burel? White dude with white hair? Works at TTF now?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Holy crap he made senior. Welp.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
uhg. been on 14 hour lockshift for a few weeks now. for the uninitiated, that's where you work x number of hours on, y number of hours off every day with no weekend or off days.

so tired

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

KetTarma posted:

uhg. been on 14 hour lockshift for a few weeks now. for the uninitiated, that's where you work x number of hours on, y number of hours off every day with no weekend or off days.

so tired

I feel so bad for you. The system we have in place for nukes just simply cannot last.

itsrobbiej
Oct 23, 2010
Over halfway in Power School. I'll hit Prototype at some point...depending on the hold. I heard it was 6-9 months. :(

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Henry Meowlins posted:

I feel so bad for you. The system we have in place for nukes just simply cannot last.

One could argue that the Navy nuclear program's high attrition rate only helps the country as a whole as many will find service at commercial nuclear plants. Win/win for America.

Cousarr
Apr 29, 2008

Only a king can make this face.

itsrobbiej posted:

Over halfway in Power School. I'll hit Prototype at some point...depending on the hold. I heard it was 6-9 months. :(

It depends on your rate and when the prototypes are classing up. MMs will have long holds (6+ mos atm), wire rates will have shorter holds.

1337_ScriptKiddie
Mar 21, 2009

What is going on in here?

Cousarr posted:

It depends on your rate and when the prototypes are classing up. MMs will have long holds (6+ mos atm), wire rates will have shorter holds.

So wait... what do they have you do for the 6 months while you are waiting to go to prototype?

e: Also, what is "the hold"

itsrobbiej
Oct 23, 2010

1337_ScriptKiddie posted:

So wait... what do they have you do for the 6 months while you are waiting to go to prototype?

Random stuff around the base. Help out SLPOs, duty driver, check IDs at the gate, whatever, until you get to pre-fill. Then you work down at Prototype doing whatever they want.

The hold is the period of time between Power School and Prototype. I'm an MM, so I will be on hold for probably 6 months or more because right now, the big push is to get ETs and EMs in the fleet. It's usually pretty slack work...like a long T-Track.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

"Base Bitch"

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

We only have a limited number of prototype instructors. Also, the prototypes are approaching 60 years old so they break all the time. As an instructor, I spend far more time making the submarine work than I do teaching.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Tell me about the fires. All of the fires.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

KetTarma posted:

We only have a limited number of prototype instructors. Also, the prototypes are approaching 60 years old so they break all the time. As an instructor, I spend far more time making the submarine work than I do teaching.
You probably can't elaborate, but I often wonder why they don't use an excess sub as a trainer instead, one that would otherwise be decommissioned and sold for scrap.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I don't know why you think he couldn't elaborate on that.

They are using an excess sub as a trainer, two of them in fact.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Third World Reggin posted:

I don't know why you think he couldn't elaborate on that.

They are using an excess sub as a trainer, two of them in fact.
Yes, that much is public knowledge. Anything even remotely related to nuclear propulsion that's not mentioned on USN press releases is usually pretty sensitive and not to be commented on publicly.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I wish that was true.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

grover posted:

You probably can't elaborate, but I often wonder why they don't use an excess sub as a trainer instead, one that would otherwise be decommissioned and sold for scrap.

Do you really want a bunch of nuke washouts knowing random details of a top of the line attack submarine?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

No he wants an old sub, something in excess. Just like the two you got. Don't worry, if they get replaced, it will be by something that catches fire just as much.

<FUNNAY JOKE>

One of my favorite moments in power school was when our instructor came in and said, "See this power point? We were shown this in quarters today. See how it says confidential at the top? Well that number there is top secret. So is that number there. You guys just all saw top secret information without the clearance for it." The entire time while laughing.

This was an officer who was formerly enlisted, like E-6 to O-3.

This isn't the only time this happened either.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Nov 18, 2011

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

From primary coolant to classified information. Spillage. Spillage never changes.

fake edit:

stop
walk away
implicate others
make up a story
stick with it

:haw:

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
Please don't even joke about classified material, Third World Reggin.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

The joke is that has been mentioned on these boards before, a few times, and not edited out.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

grover posted:

You mean like my idea of making the Big E a floating prototype? :v:

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

DarkSol posted:

You mean like my idea of making the Big E a floating prototype? :v:
Exactly! 8 reactors to scavenge parts from :D

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

grover posted:

Exactly! 8 reactors to scavenge parts from :D

That would be amazing. I can almost see the prototype suicide rates skyrocketing from here!

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

belt posted:

That would be amazing. I can almost see the prototype suicide rates skyrocketing from here!

Hey, at least if they used the Big E, they could let the sailors live on board. Just like in the real Navy!

Just cut off the island, weld any compartment shut that you don't want sailors getting into, convert the hangar bay into a giant barracks.

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo
Don't forget making the instructors live there too, because I can't think of any other way that would make KetTarma's life worse.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

belt posted:

Don't forget making the instructors live there too, because I can't think of any other way that would make KetTarma's life worse.

Got you beat. Im already living in the NNSY barracks/a converted WW2 troopship in Portsmouth, VA.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

KetTarma posted:

Got you beat. Im already living in the NNSY barracks/a converted WW2 troopship in Portsmouth, VA.

Why the gently caress?

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

The prototype I teach at is being repaired. They towed it from charleston, sc to portsmouth, va and shipped the instructors up with it to stand watch, clean, do maintenance, and do support jobs like pulling up tiling, grinding off rust, and painting. Most of us are E6s. This is my shore duty. I'm billeted as a nuclear instructor/supervisor. Most of my time is spent scrubbing dirt off of the walls. At least I'm senior enough to get out of most bad deals here!

Try explaining that to your fiancee that you'll barely see her for the next year since you're "deployed" to VA away from "homeport"..

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

KetTarma posted:

The prototype I teach at is being repaired. They towed it from charleston, sc to portsmouth, va and shipped the instructors up with it to stand watch, clean, do maintenance, and do support jobs like pulling up tiling, grinding off rust, and painting. Most of us are E6s. This is my shore duty. I'm billeted as a nuclear instructor/supervisor. Most of my time is spent scrubbing dirt off of the walls. At least I'm senior enough to get out of most bad deals here!

Try explaining that to your fiancee that you'll barely see her for the next year since you're "deployed" to VA away from "homeport"..

I need to buy you a drink since you're practically down the street from me.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

KetTarma posted:

Are you at least getting FSA? If not, I think each and every one of you has room to file a grievance and make an IG complaint.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Anyone that's married gets FSA. All of us get per diem.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

KetTarma posted:

Anyone that's married gets FSA. All of us get per diem.

Well, at least they're loving you with a little lube. It might just be some spit on the tip, but at least it is something.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

You going to get a sea service ribbon for it? :haw:

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Will someone please tell me what the best case scenario for your typical nuke is, because I don't often see anything remotely resembling being worth reenlisting for. I mean, the money isn't THAT good.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Eat your way to freedom.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Will someone please tell me what the best case scenario for your typical nuke is, because I don't often see anything remotely resembling being worth reenlisting for. I mean, the money isn't THAT good.

There is literally no reason to stay in past 8 years. Everything you would want on your resume can be accomplished in that time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no

KetTarma posted:

There is literally no reason to stay in past 8 years. Everything you would want on your resume can be accomplished in that time.

what do you need to do before you leave then, any tips or thins like that?

• Locked thread