Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

KozmoNaut posted:

Thirding the Swing-A-Way, my parents have been using one just like it for the nearly 30 years. Different brand, but 100% identical otherwise.

Fourthing it, because we also use the same exact one at the restaurant. Mind you, we rarely need to open tins. Aside from coconut milk, diced tomato, and tomato paste, everything else is fresh, but when we /do/ open up tins, it's nice to have something sturdy enough to stand up to those #10 containers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolo yeung
Apr 23, 2010
Can anyone recommend me a good digital kitchen scale in the $30 range?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bolo yeung posted:

Can anyone recommend me a good digital kitchen scale in the $30 range?

In my experience, they are all about the same as far as how well they weigh. Things too look for (which all probably have anyway) are a tare button and ability to weigh in both ounces and grams. The only other thing I would suggest is one that has the display as far away from the scale as possible. Sometimes a large bowl can block the display if it's too close. My main scale is a Salter brand that has been going for 13 years. I think I've replaced the battery twice, and it's right in that price range. I also have a smaller scale that measures down to 100ths of a gram for mg type ventures, and I think it cost $20.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
I've been using this one for the past couple years and it does the job:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002CM8TZC

It would be nice to have the display elsewhere, but I haven't had too many problems reading it. The price is right, that's for sure.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
What is the advantage of All-Clad over cast iron? I've used both, and my $30 cast iron works just as well as my spendy All-Clad. Of course I can't throw the cast iron pan into the sink/dishwasher, but otherwise I can't find any difference?

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Oxford Comma posted:

What is the advantage of All-Clad over cast iron? I've used both, and my $30 cast iron works just as well as my spendy All-Clad. Of course I can't throw the cast iron pan into the sink/dishwasher, but otherwise I can't find any difference?

Generally, cast iron is slower to heat up (and slower to cool down) than any other pan, so pulling it off the burner to reduce heat for a few while you add exotic ingredient X or to prevent your Y from boiling over or charring won't make a difference. Cast iron is (some times a lot) heavier, doesn't handle starchy and acidic stuff as well and can rust if you don't treat it well. It's also more fun.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

dino. posted:

The point is that copper looks like poo poo if it's used over high heat repeatedly. In other words, don't buy it.

I don't really think copper looks like poo poo when its tarnished? / I don't care about looks at all.

but I guess there's no reason to have a copper/stainless bonded pan? I don't know, I I'm just looking for and want the best loving goddamnit pan in existence really, I don't care about anything else. I guess those compromise all clad ones with the copper band/center sound decent? burghh

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
SOMEONE BUY ME A PURE SILVER PAN ALREADY GODDAMN

EDIT : URANIUM CORED PURE SILVER PAN

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

mindphlux posted:

EDIT : URANIUM CORED PURE SILVER PAN

The U-238 line is cheaper but much, much, much heavier.

The U-235 line is really pricey but the beauty of it is the larger pans don't require an outside heat source. Rumored to cause issues, though.

logical fallacy
Mar 16, 2001

Dynamic Symmetry
If you really want copper cookware, have the money, and don't ever plan to use induction, then pick one of the brands I recommended. If you want to use induction, then pick one of the All-Clad Stainless (regular or D5, the D5 has rolled edges, but I have my doubts that it's otherwise worth the price difference). If you don't care about induction, then go with the LTD2 or MC2 (they have more aluminum than the stainless series). Don't bother with the copper series, as both have negligible amounts of copper, not enough to justify the price or to pretend that they're real copper cookware.

I own Mauviel, All-Clad Stainless, All-Clad LTD2, and All-Clad Copper Core (most of my All-Clad are the copper core), and even though I lust after copper cookware, I find myself using any one of the All-Clads more often than I use the one Mauviel sauce pan I own. If I had to buy it all again, I'd still keep the Mauviel, but I wouldn't bother with the All-Clad Copper Core. They have rolled edges and they look nice, but they aren't worth the extra cost, and although they're pretty, those 2 little bands of copper are a bitch to keep shiny.

As for can openers, I bought a Zyliss (at TJ Maxx) that cuts the sides of the lid. I was really excited to FINALLY have a good can opener, but I think I've only used it 3-4 times in the year or so I've had it. So while I like the way it opens, I can't truly recommend it because I don't open that many cans.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Oxford Comma posted:

I get way better fond out of a stainless cooking surface than I ever get off cast iron; well-seasoned cast iron is practically nonstick.

I also get a much clearer pan sauce/reduction using stainless; they always end up cloudy when I use cast iron.

I also reach for the stainless fry pan whenever I'm working with something acidic, like a red sauce or vinaigrette or whatever (just because the acid will gently caress with the seasoning), or whenever I care about the rate at which the pan is gaining or losing heat (like if you're expecting to use carryover heat to cook but not curdle eggs---so I use a stainless fry pan when making carbonara, because a cast iron skilled would still be hot enough to curdle the eggs for quite some time after you take it off the heat).

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

logical fallacy posted:

If you really want copper cookware, have the money, and don't ever plan to use induction, then pick one of the brands I recommended. If you want to use induction, then pick one of the All-Clad Stainless (regular or D5, the D5 has rolled edges, but I have my doubts that it's otherwise worth the price difference). If you don't care about induction, then go with the LTD2 or MC2 (they have more aluminum than the stainless series). Don't bother with the copper series, as both have negligible amounts of copper, not enough to justify the price or to pretend that they're real copper cookware.

I own Mauviel, All-Clad Stainless, All-Clad LTD2, and All-Clad Copper Core (most of my All-Clad are the copper core), and even though I lust after copper cookware, I find myself using any one of the All-Clads more often than I use the one Mauviel sauce pan I own. If I had to buy it all again, I'd still keep the Mauviel, but I wouldn't bother with the All-Clad Copper Core. They have rolled edges and they look nice, but they aren't worth the extra cost, and although they're pretty, those 2 little bands of copper are a bitch to keep shiny.

thanks, I really appreciate your feedback since you actually own this poo poo.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

logical fallacy posted:

As for can openers, I bought a Zyliss (at TJ Maxx) that cuts the sides of the lid. I was really excited to FINALLY have a good can opener, but I think I've only used it 3-4 times in the year or so I've had it. So while I like the way it opens, I can't truly recommend it because I don't open that many cans.

I have the Zyliss also and it works maybe 60% of the time. The vegetable cans from Costco (Kirkland) for example won't open using this opener. It just makes an indention around the circumference of the can, not deep enough to open it.

I just usually call an audible for my basic swing-a-way every time I try the Zyliss...

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Dane posted:

Generally, cast iron is slower to heat up (and slower to cool down) than any other pan, so pulling it off the burner to reduce heat for a few while you add exotic ingredient X or to prevent your Y from boiling over or charring won't make a difference. Cast iron is (some times a lot) heavier, doesn't handle starchy and acidic stuff as well and can rust if you don't treat it well. It's also more fun.

Black steel or carbon steel is sort of a middle ground between stainless and cast iron. Lower heat retention, so the pan heats up and cools down much faster, but you get the same baked-on nonstick surface as with cast iron, with all the benefits and drawbacks it offers. The pans are much lighter due to the thinner material (2-3mm even on the bottom), it's sort of like a wok in the shape of a traditional western frying pan.

I've got three different pans, one enameled cast iron, one bare cast iron and one carbon steel. I use all three equally and I'm adding a stainless steel pan soon.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I started reading Crust & Crumb: Master Formulas for Serious Bread Bakers because I was interested in bread making as my bread is "ok" but not to-die for.

This breaks everything down to a science explaining why you do specific things and shows just how horribly wrong and how little I knew about bread. If you are curious as to how to make kick-rear end bread this gets my seal of approval.

http://www.amazon.com/Crust-Crumb-Master-Formulas-Serious/dp/1580088023/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321961560&sr=8-1

bolo yeung
Apr 23, 2010
Thanks for the scale recommendations. I'll keep them in mind while shopping around.

Also, does anyone have any experience with one of these? http://www.amazon.com/Char-Broil-10101480-08101480-Oil-Less-Infrared/dp/B001HBI7D8/ref=sr_1_3?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1321971425&sr=1-3

I love me some deep-fried turkey, but hovering around a giant tub of hot grease makes me feel uneasy. This, however, kinda screams gimmick.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

bolo yeung posted:

Thanks for the scale recommendations. I'll keep them in mind while shopping around.

Also, does anyone have any experience with one of these? http://www.amazon.com/Char-Broil-10101480-08101480-Oil-Less-Infrared/dp/B001HBI7D8/ref=sr_1_3?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1321971425&sr=1-3

I love me some deep-fried turkey, but hovering around a giant tub of hot grease makes me feel uneasy. This, however, kinda screams gimmick.

Any cooking implement advertised using terms such as "infrared cooking" and "100% infrared heat energy" and similar semi-educated-sounding crap should be avoided like the plague, as should any other infomercial product.

"Gee-whiz, infrared cooking? Your wonderful gadget actually cooks with loving HEAT like every other single cooking implement ever in the entire history and pre-history of the world?! Will wonder never cease?"

Avoid. Avoid. Avoid.

Also, it will not produce anything even similar to deep-fried turkey. It's nothing but a cheap propane-fueled outdoor oven.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Nov 22, 2011

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

qutius posted:

I've been using this one for the past couple years and it does the job:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002CM8TZC

It would be nice to have the display elsewhere, but I haven't had too many problems reading it. The price is right, that's for sure.

Seconding this. Have had mine for a while now and it still works great.

Requesting a nice bottle. I'm making lemoncello for my dad for christmas and it is currently just sitting in a jar. I would like to get a nice bottle to store it in when presenting. Probably in the 1-1.5 liter range? Not sure off the top of my head what my post-straining volume will be.

bolo yeung
Apr 23, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

Any cooking implement advertised using terms such as "infrared cooking" and "100% infrared heat energy" and similar semi-educated-sounding crap should be avoided like the plague, as should any other infomercial product.

"Gee-whiz, infrared cooking? Your wonderful gadget actually cooks with loving HEAT like every other single cooking implement ever in the entire history and pre-history of the world?! Will wonder never cease?"

Avoid. Avoid. Avoid.

Also, it will not produce anything even similar to deep-fried turkey. It's nothing but a cheap propane-fueled outdoor oven.

I fugured as such. Never had any intention to buy it. Was only wondering just HOW much of a scam it was. Thanks.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

zerox147o posted:

Requesting a nice bottle. I'm making lemoncello for my dad for christmas and it is currently just sitting in a jar. I would like to get a nice bottle to store it in when presenting. Probably in the 1-1.5 liter range? Not sure off the top of my head what my post-straining volume will be.
Something like this? (500ml but maybe you can put it in two or three bottles?)

http://www.amazon.com/Clear-Flip-cap-Bottles-12-Pack/dp/B002Y29JMW/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1321990891&sr=1-1

I got a bunch at my local restaurant supply store

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

Avoid. Avoid. Avoid.

Not that I don't agree that "infrared cookers" are usually crap, but cooking with true IR (.74-300um photons) is very different from cooking with direct heat (kinetic energy), just as cooking with a microwave is different from cooking with an induction cooking.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Something like this? (500ml but maybe you can put it in two or three bottles?)

http://www.amazon.com/Clear-Flip-cap-Bottles-12-Pack/dp/B002Y29JMW/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1321990891&sr=1-1

I got a bunch at my local restaurant supply store

I can't seem to find any nice ones. Think I'm just going to look around the liquor store while I do my Thanksgiving booze shopping tonight and see if I find something there that I'll just drink through. You know, for the bottle.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Josh Lyman posted:

Not that I don't agree that "infrared cookers" are usually crap, but cooking with true IR (.74-300um photons) is very different from cooking with direct heat (kinetic energy), just as cooking with a microwave is different from cooking with an induction cooking.

Point taken.

But my point still stands, you aren't going to find a good IR cooker at infomercial prices :)

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

zerox147o posted:

If you're lucky enough to live within range of a Container Store (:swoon:) they sell quite nice glass bottles with a variety of tops. Most are in the 3-10 dollar range, depending on size and quality.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

edit

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Nov 23, 2011

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0SY06T5416&cm_mmc=BF2011_listing-_-2172-_-9SIA0SY06T5416&nm_mc=BF2011_listing

Thank God for black Friday sales!

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe

You are a bad person who should feel bad.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I was putting together an Amazon wish list of kitchen items for :ssh:secret santa:ssh: and I've been leaning toward the OXO stainless line. I always thought of OXO as making easy-to-grip tools, not necessarily quality tools. Are there better options?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have a number of OXO kitchen gadgets, and I don't think I've been disappointed with any of them,

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Josh Lyman posted:

I was putting together an Amazon wish list of kitchen items for :ssh:secret santa:ssh: and I've been leaning toward the OXO stainless line. I always thought of OXO as making easy-to-grip tools, not necessarily quality tools. Are there better options?

I love my OXO stuff, and have had literally zero problems/breakage with anything that I have bought from them. But they do not match my kitchen at all. :qq:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Their hand-squeeze citrus juicer is poo poo, but everything else I've had of theirs is solid.

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

Josh Lyman posted:

I always thought of OXO as making easy-to-grip tools, not necessarily quality tools. Are there better options?
Yeah OXO makes good products, the problem is they're all ugly as sin with huge handles.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

feelz good man posted:

Yeah OXO makes good products, the problem is they're all ugly as sin with huge handles.

:colbert:

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Cuisinart Prep 11 Cup food processor is on sale for $141 with a $52 dollar gift card on Newegg. I've been looking for one to make pizza/pie dough with, seems like a killer deal.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16896110077

tycho_atreides
Oct 25, 2006

Here be dargonz

Josh Lyman posted:

Everything Kuhn Rikon makes is loving awesome. Also do not buy the OXO oyster knife for any reason. It is total garbage.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Iron Lung posted:

Cuisinart Prep 11 Cup food processor is on sale for $141 with a $52 dollar gift card on Newegg. I've been looking for one to make pizza/pie dough with, seems like a killer deal.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16896110077

Hmm, looks good. Would the $149 one at Costco be better? All I know is it weighs about 20 pounds and is built like a tank...

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11623688

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

tycho_atreides posted:

Everything Kuhn Rikon makes is loving awesome. Also do not buy the OXO oyster knife for any reason. It is total garbage.

I'd second this, but I disagree. it's fine. it's not a 'good' oyster knife, but considering a 'good' oyster knife is something that would probably kill/maim the average consumer, I think it's about as good as you're gonna get.

soooooooooooo

speaking of newegg deals, there's this for like $25.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ..._-96268031-L05C

I basically don't know what the gently caress to make of it.

I've been wanting a foodsaver/cryovac (let's face it, I really just want a cryovac), but haven't gotten around to getting one. the price point on that thing is pretty appealing, but 0 reviews, and it probably doesn't include bags, and I've never even used one of the smaller, non-cryovac things... I don't know. half intrigued, half sketched out.

but hey I could claim parts of my computer and parts of my kitchen were made by the same company, which would be pretty hilarious!

Drive By
Feb 26, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

mindphlux posted:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ..._-96268031-L05C

I basically don't know what the gently caress to make of it.

I've been wanting a foodsaver/cryovac (let's face it, I really just want a cryovac), but haven't gotten around to getting one. the price point on that thing is pretty appealing, but 0 reviews, and it probably doesn't include bags, and I've never even used one of the smaller, non-cryovac things... I don't know. half intrigued, half sketched out.

I bought one like but better than that for sous-vide but I'm too cheap to spring for the channeled bags, and it works really badly with the simple bags. I haven't used it in a year because it's so frustrating.

I'd skip, it has a single wire heater and looks like yet another piece of plastic poo poo. What are you gonna use it for?

On the other hand if it's just an itch you want to scratch, hey, 25 bucks!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Drive By posted:

I bought one like but better than that for sous-vide but I'm too cheap to spring for the channeled bags, and it works really badly with the simple bags. I haven't used it in a year because it's so frustrating.

I'd skip, it has a single wire heater and looks like yet another piece of plastic poo poo. What are you gonna use it for?

On the other hand if it's just an itch you want to scratch, hey, 25 bucks!

I want to mainly use it for portioning / storage. taking large cuts of meat and freezing them for later use, etc. I'm sure I'll play around with sous-vide eventually, but I enjoy cooking stuff via traditional methods so much that I'm not really itching to start doing it at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans
Hi, big newbie question, and I hope this is the right place to post (the OP mentioned asking for recommendations is okay!).

Does anyone have any opinions on the Hampton Forge 52-Piece Kitchen Starter Set or recommendations for similar product? I'm no culinary expert by any means and I really need a basic starter kit, and I'm not sure where to begin!

• Locked thread