Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Seven Beauties Never seen a Lina Wertmüller, this one seems to be the most highly regarded, though if anyone think I should watch Love and Anarchy or The Seduction of Mimi instead I'm fine with that.

This one sounds interesting.

On The Searchers: The main story - Ethan's obsessive search for Debbie and an examination of his racist, bloodthirsty ways? Extremely interesting. The beautiful landscapes and expert photography? Wonderful. Everything else was terrible and really lessened my enjoyment of the film. It's still a good movie, but it's very uneven. At least it was really cool to see the clear influence this film had on some of my favorites like Taxi Driver and Star Wars.

1. The Battleship Potemkin Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans - Next highest on the They Shoot Pictures list.

2. Time of the Gypsies - One of my highest PSIs on Criticker but I never really see it talked about much.

3. The Lives of Others - Could it be even better than The Conversation? Not that it has to be.

4. Mean Streets - Love Scorsese, but I've heard people say that this is too similar to Taxi Driver but not nearly as good. That's okay, even if it isn't half as good as Taxi Driver it'll still be a pretty great film.

5. The Searchers The Wages of Fear - I've been really interested in this for a while but never actually bothered to watch it.

6. Videodrome - I am intrigued.

7. Léon: The Professional - Highest ranked movie on IMDb top 250 that I haven't seen.

8. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - Politics, corrupt you say? That's what I think this film is about, anyway.

9. La Dolce Vita - Another Fellini film.

10. The Grapes of Wrath - Here's the grapes, and here's the WRATH! *smash*.

Watched: The Seventh Seal, Moon, Barton Fink, The Thin Blue Line, Cool Hand Luke, Citizen Kane, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Rear Window, North by Northwest, Goodfellas, Casablanca, City Lights, Seven Samurai, Bicycle Thieves, Do the Right Thing, The Battle of Algiers, On the Waterfront, Wild Strawberries, The Trial, Adaptation, Unforgiven, Annie Hall, The 400 Blows, Diabolique, Mulholland Dr., Dirty Harry, The 39 Steps, Aguirre: The Wrath of God, 8 1/2, Boogie Nights, A Streetcar Named Desire, Raiders of the Lost Ark, The General, Pickpocket, Pulp Fiction, Amadeus, Lawrence of Arabia, Eraserhead, The Lady Vanishes, The Wild Bunch, A Clockwork Orange, Platoon, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Ikiru, Jules and Jim, The Asphalt Jungle, M, The Thin Red Line, Dial M for Murder, The Sting, Once Upon a Time in the West, The Exterminating Angel, A Woman Under the Influence, Singin' in the Rain, Scenes from a Marriage, Badlands, City of God, The Gold Rush, The Maltese Falcon, The Conformist, The Shawshank Redemption, High and Low, It's a Wonderful Life, Days of Heaven, Le Samourai, The Night of the Hunter, Metropolis, The New World, Persona, Manhattan, Some Like It Hot, The Rules of the Game, Nights of Cabiria, The Graduate, Pather Panchali, Punch-Drunk Love, Grand Illusion, The Hustler, The Great Escape, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Memento, Forbidden Planet, Stagecoach, The Usual Suspects, The Big Sleep, Modern Times, Tokyo Story, Seven, The Searchers, The Battleship Potemkin (Total: 90)

Atheistdeals.com fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Nov 13, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Atheistdeals.com posted:

On The Searchers: The main story - Ethan's obsessive search for Debbie and an examination of his racist, bloodthirsty ways? Extremely interesting. The beautiful landscapes and expert photography? Wonderful. Everything else was terrible and really lessened my enjoyment of the film. It's still a good movie, but it's very uneven. At least it was really cool to see the clear influence this film had on some of my favorites like Taxi Driver and Star Wars.

Yeah, you're not alone on this one. There was a brief exchange about it in Ye Olde Westerns thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3177262&pagenumber=2&perpage=40#post363817241

And Ebert has a theory about it, which I tend to agree with: http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20011125/REVIEWS08/111250301/1023

"In ''The Searchers'' I think Ford was trying, imperfectly, even nervously, to depict racism that justified genocide; the comic relief may be an unconscious attempt to soften the message. Many members of the original audience probably missed his purpose; Ethan's racism was invisible to them, because they bought into his view of Indians. Eight years later, in ''Cheyenne Autumn,'' his last film, Ford was more clear. But in the flawed vision of ''The Searchers'' we can see Ford, Wayne and the Western itself, awkwardly learning that a man who hates Indians can no longer be an uncomplicated hero."

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

How is The Searchers like Star Wars?

Jurgan posted:

I actually liked the openings, because they were slightly different each time. It showed Harry's growth by showing him taking less of their poo poo in each successive book. By the last one he actually has earned Dudley's respect, which is a crowning moment of awesome, character-wise.

Something just strikes me as odd with all he's accomplished and done that he has to be trapped in a house with those dullards. I've read synopses and critics and some have complained about this repetitive opening. Maybe I wouldn't have minded it. The other series that's easy to compare is the Narnia series which I read a while ago. From what I remember the children enter into Narnia through a different manner each time. However, some of the aspects of the books translated oddly to the film. Reepicheep, the mouse with a sword seemed okay in the book but absurd in the films.

Two other aspects of the film I forgot to bring up. The Buckbeak creature seemed to be fluff. Was it more prominent or significant in the book? Also, it struck me as odd that Harry would blast Snape with his wand without any repercussion.

penismightier posted:

That aspect of his personality is pretty spot-on. Patton's 3rd Army took more land in less time than any other military unit in history. The Germans were scared shitless of him, and if he wasn't such a colossal prick, he could've been the greatest hero of the war. He's an interesting read, he feels like he came out of the Civil War mold alongside Grant and Sherman - massive personality flaws offset by an insatiable love of combat.

After watching Patton I wondered how he would've fared in other wars. I happened to watch "Hearts and Minds" earlier today and suddenly Patton IV appeared on the screen. Apparently his career wasn't as distinguished as his fathers was.

Patton ultimately came across as pro-war propaganda. It's bizarre to think this was winning all the awards in 1970 with the realization of what was going on in Vietnam at the same time.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Zogo posted:

Something just strikes me as odd with all he's accomplished and done that he has to be trapped in a house with those dullards.

They do explain it in the book, but it's still kind of dumb. Being around his lovely relatives protects him from Voldemort because of magic (or whatever).

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Zogo posted:

How is The Searchers like Star Wars?

Well, this for one.

quote:

Patton ultimately came across as pro-war propaganda. It's bizarre to think this was winning all the awards in 1970 with the realization of what was going on in Vietnam at the same time.

It's a throwback. Ironically, it led the way for the most aggressively anti-war film of the era - Robert Altman says that Fox was so wrapped up in making Patton, he was able to get away with a lot during MASH.

It's important to remember Coppola wrote Patton, because I've always thought of Lt. Col Kilgore and Col. Kurtz as different interpretations of the same character, put into different contexts.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

Atheistdeals.com posted:

6. Videodrome - I am intrigued.

One of my favourite Cronenbergs. Enjoy!

Cinema Paradiso took a while to click for me but after digesting it, I am glad I watched it. It has a pleasant quality to it that tugs at the heart and in its essence is very cinematic. The sequence where Alfredo tells Toto that real life is hard was a bit of an eye roller...it seemed so out of place because the movie itself exists in an odd fantasy world. I guess it makes sense because with Alfredo's prodding, Toto was able to leave, bittersweet as it is. The kiss montage at the end is amazing. One of the most magical sequences I've seen in recent memory.

It's a nice movie with its share of faults...sometimes it tumbles into melodrama but is overall a worthwhile experience.

LIST O SHAME:

1) The Last Detail - Swearing sailors sounds superb.

2) Five Easy Pieces - Going to keep watching the America Lost and Found Box Set.

3) Deconstructing Harry - Hey Woody Allen, it's been a while.

4) Bronson - Just saw Drive, loved it, must see more by Refn.

5) Black Moon - Drawn in by various cover art for years. No idea what it's about.

6)Precious – Most recent BP nominee I haven’t seen.

7)Some Like it Hot – Highest in IMDB top 250 I haven’t seen

8)The Rules of the Game - It's so highly regarded and yet I know nothing about it.

9)Shotgun Stories - Don't know anything about this but I'm highly anticipating Take Shelter and would like to see this first.

10)Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance - Love Oldboy and have never gotten around to seeing the rest of the Vengeance trilogy.

SHAME BE GONE: Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our Man in Havana, Breathless, Phenomena, Withnail & I, 12 Angry Men, The Cranes Are Flying, Fitzcarraldo, Amadeus, Paths of Glory, Blow Out, Cronos, Hausu, City Lights, Easy Rider, The Lives of Others, Salo, In the Bedroom, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, Cars, Brand Upon the Brain!, The Great Dictator, Double Indemnity, Point Blank, Cool Hand Luke, 127 Hours, Black Narcissus, Lawrence of Arabia, The Sting, A Woman is a Woman, Life of Brian, Last Picture Show, The Company of Wolves, Tree of Life, Life is Beautiful, Young Frankenstein, Cinema Paradiso

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
Ratedargh, watch Some Like it Hot

If not for Max Schreck, Nosferatu would not be nearly as memorable. It really drags at parts, but every time he (or his shadow) is on screen, I could not look away. 3.5/5

A Short Film About Killing
I'm having trouble motivating myself to finish The Decalogue, even though I've liked what I've seen before.
Kes
Don't know anything about this.
Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives
Heard a lot about this, I feel like I'll love it or hate it.
Still Life
Next on TSPDT's 21st Century list. Don't know anything about it.
The World of Apu
Got to finish up the trilogy.
Stalker
I'm excited to see this, even if I haven't been thrilled with Tarkovsky in the past.
The Wind That Shakes the Barley
Another recent Palme d'Or winner.
Au Hasard Balthazar
Next on TSPDT.
Sweet Smell of Success
I've heard many good things.
Cabaret
On the most iCM lists. ehh.

Not ashamed anymore: Lawrence of Arabia 4.5/5, The Battle of Algiers 2/5, Toy Story 2 3.5/5, Sherman's March 3.5/5, His Girl Friday 4/5, Last Year at Marienbad 3/5, M 4/5, Stolen Kisses 3/5, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 4/5, Lost Highway 4/5, Gates of Heaven 3/5, Downfall 4/5, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 4/5, Grizzly Man 4/5, Wings of Desire 2/5, Z 3/5, A Shot in the Dark 2.5/5, Toy Story 3 4.5/5, The Fountain 4/5, Inland Empire 2/5, The Wild Bunch 4/5, Hunger 4.5/5, The Green Mile 3.5/5, The Ballad of Cable Hogue 4/5, A Woman Under the Influence 5/5, La Dolce Vita 4/5, Das Boot 4.5/5, Camera Buff 4.5/5, The Red Shoes 4.5/5, The Rules of the Game 3.5/5, Persona 4.5/5, Black Narcissus 2.5/5, The Battleship Potemkin 3.5/5, Departures 4/5, The Wages of Fear 4.5/5, Werckmeister Harmonies, 4/5, Blazing Saddles 1.5/5, Pickpocket 4/5, McCabe and Mrs. Miller 5/5, Le Cercle Rouge 4/5, Night and Fog ?/5, Opening Night 5/5, Notorious 4.5/5, Night of the Living Dead 3.5/5, Seven Chances 4/5, Faces 4/5, Europa 3/5, A Day at the Races 4/5, Three Colors: White 4.5/5, Vernon, Florida 4.5/5, Hud 3.5/5, Slacker 4.5/5, The Thing 4/5, Code Unknown 3.5/5, The Double Life of Veronique 4/5, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 4/5, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie 4.5/5, Sullivan's Travels 3.5/5, The Death of Mr. Lazarescu 4/5, Ben-Hur 2.5/5, Mona Lisa 3/5, Brief Encounter 4/5, Laura 4/5, Beauty and the Beast 4/5, Solaris 3/5, Alphaville 4/5, Nights of Cabiria 3.5/5, Gun Crazy 4/5, Tokyo Story 3.5/5, The Piano Teacher 3.5/5, Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans 3.5/5, The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 4/5, The Best Years of Our Lives 4.5/5, A Bittersweet Life 4.5/5, Rebecca 3.5/5, Sleuth 4.5/5, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie 4/5, Hearts and Minds 3/5, L'Atalante 2.5/5, The Passion of Joan of Arc 4.5/5, Far From Heaven 4/5, Children of Paradise 3.5/5, Shock Corridor 3/5, Heaven Can Wait 4/5, That Obscure Object of Desire 4.5/5, Before Sunrise 4/5, Before Sunset 5/5, When We Were Kings 4.5/5, Rio Bravo 4.5/5, Ordet 3.5/5, Bed and Board 2.5/5, Alice 3.5/5, Idioterne 4.5/5, L'avventura 2/5, Au Revoir Les Enfants 4.5/5 Amarcord 3.5/5, A.I. Artificial Intelligence 2.5/5, Princess Mononoke 2/5, Tender Mercies 4/5, Ran 5/5, Witness for the Prosecution 4.5/5, Winchester '73 4/5, Local Hero 3.5/5, Fanny and Alexander 5/5, Diabolique 3/5, The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans 3.5/5, Ugetsu 4/5, Salo, or the 120 Days of Sodom 1.5/5, Syndromes and a Century 4/5, Smiles of a Summer Night 4/5, Shadows 2.5/5, Umberto D. 3.5/5, Naked 5/5, Andrei Rublev 2/5, A Matter of Life and Death 4.5/5, I Am Cuba 4/5, A Zed and Two Noughts 5/5, The Belly of an Architect 3/5, Videodrome 4/5, Picnic at Hanging Rock 3/5, 2046 4.5/5, Fallen Angels 4/5, Schizopolis 4/5, Blind Chance 2.5/5, The Grapes of Wrath 4/5, Ace in the Hole 4.5/5, Safe 4/5, Woman in the Dunes 5/5, Scarface 4.5/5, The Man who Shot Liberty Valance 4/5, Ghost World 3.5/5, Contempt 3.5/5, The Magnificent Ambersons 4/5, Fantastic Planet 3.5/5, The Kid 3.5/5, Santa Sangre 4/5, Pather Panchali 4/5, The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser 4.5/5, Aparajito 4.5/5, Tout Va Bien 3.5/5, A Face in the Crowd 4.5/5, The Class 5/5, Intolerance 3/5, 71 Fragments of a Chronology of Chance 2.5/5, The Holy Mountain 4/5, Nosferatu 3.5/5

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

TenSpadesBeTrump posted:

Sweet Smell of Success
I've heard many good things.

This is really great.

The overall plot of Videodrome is pretty vague and muddled, but none of that is really important compared to the commentary on mankind fusing with technology (in the form of Betamax tapes no less) and the awesome 80's special effects. It's fairly disturbing at times but still silly enough to be fun. It's just a great, unique film.

1. Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans - Next highest on the They Shoot Pictures list.

2. Time of the Gypsies - One of my highest PSIs on Criticker but I never really see it talked about much.

3. The Lives of Others - Could it be even better than The Conversation? Not that it has to be.

4. Mean Streets - Love Scorsese, but I've heard people say that this is too similar to Taxi Driver but not nearly as good. That's okay, even if it isn't half as good as Taxi Driver it'll still be a pretty great film.

5. The Wages of Fear - I've been really interested in this for a while but never actually bothered to watch it.

6. Videodrome Bonnie and Clyde - I've been neglecting some of the New Hollywood stuff a little bit.

7. Léon: The Professional - Highest ranked movie on IMDb top 250 that I haven't seen.

8. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington - Politics, corrupt you say? That's what I think this film is about, anyway.

9. La Dolce Vita - Another Fellini film.

10. The Grapes of Wrath - Here's the grapes, and here's the WRATH! *smash*.

Watched: The Seventh Seal, Moon, Barton Fink, The Thin Blue Line, Cool Hand Luke, Citizen Kane, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Rear Window, North by Northwest, Goodfellas, Casablanca, City Lights, Seven Samurai, Bicycle Thieves, Do the Right Thing, The Battle of Algiers, On the Waterfront, Wild Strawberries, The Trial, Adaptation, Unforgiven, Annie Hall, The 400 Blows, Diabolique, Mulholland Dr., Dirty Harry, The 39 Steps, Aguirre: The Wrath of God, 8 1/2, Boogie Nights, A Streetcar Named Desire, Raiders of the Lost Ark, The General, Pickpocket, Pulp Fiction, Amadeus, Lawrence of Arabia, Eraserhead, The Lady Vanishes, The Wild Bunch, A Clockwork Orange, Platoon, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Ikiru, Jules and Jim, The Asphalt Jungle, M, The Thin Red Line, Dial M for Murder, The Sting, Once Upon a Time in the West, The Exterminating Angel, A Woman Under the Influence, Singin' in the Rain, Scenes from a Marriage, Badlands, City of God, The Gold Rush, The Maltese Falcon, The Conformist, The Shawshank Redemption, High and Low, It's a Wonderful Life, Days of Heaven, Le Samourai, The Night of the Hunter, Metropolis, The New World, Persona, Manhattan, Some Like It Hot, The Rules of the Game, Nights of Cabiria, The Graduate, Pather Panchali, Punch-Drunk Love, Grand Illusion, The Hustler, The Great Escape, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Memento, Forbidden Planet, Stagecoach, The Usual Suspects, The Big Sleep, Modern Times, Tokyo Story, Seven, The Searchers, The Battleship Potemkin, Videodrome (Total: 91)

The Great Burrito
Jan 21, 2008

Is that freedom rock? Well turn it up!
I've never seen the Godfather

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Atheistdeals.com posted:

It's been a while since I've seen it but I remember being impressed by a few of the performances.

Tokyo Story - This was kind of a depressing film on family, sometimes going into philosophical discussions fueled by too much Sake. WWII hangs over the family like a specter to a degree. Most of the family members came across as very callous and self-absorbed. In so many scenes I felt like I was watching the film from the perspective of a cat.

also watched:

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring - I watched this after Patton which made this a 180 degree change. There's not much dialogue in this film but it wasn't really needed. The film reminded me of a seasons of life documentary series I saw on PBS or one of those educational networks a few years back.

IMDb list:

#194 Mary and Max - Never heard of it. I just looked it up and it's about clay people. Hopefully it lives up to Gumby's standard. 6/22/11

#213 Howl's Moving Castle - I liked Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke but My Neighbor Totoro was a little too childish for me. 8/25/11

#223 Let the Right One In - Newer release about vampires. Hopefully better than the Twilight saga. 8/6/11

#237 Ip Man - This has been getting some good reviews. Thought it was some IT film when I first saw the title. 10/27/11

#241 Stalker - Watched Andrei Rublev a while ago and it was challenging. Been meaning to watch Solaris as well. 10/27/11

#242 Shutter Island - Looked like a run-of-the-mill mystery. 10/12/11

#246 Monsters, Inc. - I recall that this had lackluster reviews so seeing it on the top 250 is a surprise. 11/1/11

Elite Squad - Not on the list but the sequel is. Never heard of it. 11/9/11

new #248 His Girl Friday - I think I got this confused with My Man Godfrey at some point. 11/15/11

new #249 Anatomy of a Murder - I remember the 1995 Clockers poster copying this films poster too closely. The Clockers poster had to be changed. 11/15/11

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

The Great Burrito posted:

I've never seen the Godfather

That's nice Mr. Burrito. Did you check out the OP of this thread? I feel like you just read the title and posted. This is actually a really cool thread and can get you to see a lot of movies you never got around to.

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
Zogo, His Girl Friday is probably the best on your list.

Sweet Smell of Success should have been a movie that I absolutely loved, but for some reason that I can't put my finger on, I didn't. Everything worked perfectly in it. The first half was great, with Tony Curtis exploiting and manipulating everyone he knew. He was always two lies deep to get what he wanted. I'm going to give this one another shot, I was probably just not in the right mood to watch these sinister people ruin lives. 4/5

I'm having trouble motivating myself to finish The Decalogue, even though I've liked what I've seen before.
Kes
Still Life
The World of Apu
Stalker
I'm excited to see this, even if I haven't been thrilled with Tarkovsky in the past.
Au Hasard Balthazar
Next on TSPDT.
Cabaret
Days of Heaven
My last Malick.

Not ashamed anymore: Lawrence of Arabia 4.5/5, The Battle of Algiers 2/5, Toy Story 2 3.5/5, Sherman's March 3.5/5, His Girl Friday 4/5, Last Year at Marienbad 3/5, M 4/5, Stolen Kisses 3/5, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 4/5, Lost Highway 4/5, Gates of Heaven 3/5, Downfall 4/5, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 4/5, Grizzly Man 4/5, Wings of Desire 2/5, Z 3/5, A Shot in the Dark 2.5/5, Toy Story 3 4.5/5, The Fountain 4/5, Inland Empire 2/5, The Wild Bunch 4/5, Hunger 4.5/5, The Green Mile 3.5/5, The Ballad of Cable Hogue 4/5, A Woman Under the Influence 5/5, La Dolce Vita 4/5, Das Boot 4.5/5, Camera Buff 4.5/5, The Red Shoes 4.5/5, The Rules of the Game 3.5/5, Persona 4.5/5, Black Narcissus 2.5/5, The Battleship Potemkin 3.5/5, Departures 4/5, The Wages of Fear 4.5/5, Werckmeister Harmonies, 4/5, Blazing Saddles 1.5/5, Pickpocket 4/5, McCabe and Mrs. Miller 5/5, Le Cercle Rouge 4/5, Night and Fog ?/5, Opening Night 5/5, Notorious 4.5/5, Night of the Living Dead 3.5/5, Seven Chances 4/5, Faces 4/5, Europa 3/5, A Day at the Races 4/5, Three Colors: White 4.5/5, Vernon, Florida 4.5/5, Hud 3.5/5, Slacker 4.5/5, The Thing 4/5, Code Unknown 3.5/5, The Double Life of Veronique 4/5, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 4/5, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie 4.5/5, Sullivan's Travels 3.5/5, The Death of Mr. Lazarescu 4/5, Ben-Hur 2.5/5, Mona Lisa 3/5, Brief Encounter 4/5, Laura 4/5, Beauty and the Beast 4/5, Solaris 3/5, Alphaville 4/5, Nights of Cabiria 3.5/5, Gun Crazy 4/5, Tokyo Story 3.5/5, The Piano Teacher 3.5/5, Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans 3.5/5, The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 4/5, The Best Years of Our Lives 4.5/5, A Bittersweet Life 4.5/5, Rebecca 3.5/5, Sleuth 4.5/5, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie 4/5, Hearts and Minds 3/5, L'Atalante 2.5/5, The Passion of Joan of Arc 4.5/5, Far From Heaven 4/5, Children of Paradise 3.5/5, Shock Corridor 3/5, Heaven Can Wait 4/5, That Obscure Object of Desire 4.5/5, Before Sunrise 4/5, Before Sunset 5/5, When We Were Kings 4.5/5, Rio Bravo 4.5/5, Ordet 3.5/5, Bed and Board 2.5/5, Alice 3.5/5, Idioterne 4.5/5, L'avventura 2/5, Au Revoir Les Enfants 4.5/5 Amarcord 3.5/5, A.I. Artificial Intelligence 2.5/5, Princess Mononoke 2/5, Tender Mercies 4/5, Ran 5/5, Witness for the Prosecution 4.5/5, Winchester '73 4/5, Local Hero 3.5/5, Fanny and Alexander 5/5, Diabolique 3/5, The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans 3.5/5, Ugetsu 4/5, Salo, or the 120 Days of Sodom 1.5/5, Syndromes and a Century 4/5, Smiles of a Summer Night 4/5, Shadows 2.5/5, Umberto D. 3.5/5, Naked 5/5, Andrei Rublev 2/5, A Matter of Life and Death 4.5/5, I Am Cuba 4/5, A Zed and Two Noughts 5/5, The Belly of an Architect 3/5, Videodrome 4/5, Picnic at Hanging Rock 3/5, 2046 4.5/5, Fallen Angels 4/5, Schizopolis 4/5, Blind Chance 2.5/5, The Grapes of Wrath 4/5, Ace in the Hole 4.5/5, Safe 4/5, Woman in the Dunes 5/5, Scarface 4.5/5, The Man who Shot Liberty Valance 4/5, Ghost World 3.5/5, Contempt 3.5/5, The Magnificent Ambersons 4/5, Fantastic Planet 3.5/5, The Kid 3.5/5, Santa Sangre 4/5, Pather Panchali 4/5, The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser 4.5/5, Aparajito 4.5/5, Tout Va Bien 3.5/5, A Face in the Crowd 4.5/5, The Class 5/5, Intolerance 3/5, 71 Fragments of a Chronology of Chance 2.5/5, The Holy Mountain 4/5, Nosferatu 3.5/5, Sweet Smell of Success 4/5

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

TenSpadesBeTrump posted:

Zogo, His Girl Friday is probably the best on your list.

Sweet Smell of Success should have been a movie that I absolutely loved, but for some reason that I can't put my finger on, I didn't. [...] I'm going to give this one another shot, I was probably just not in the right mood to watch these sinister people ruin lives. 4/5
My own issues were with the ending since evil didn't triumph and the boring lovey-dovey couple got away scot-free.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I love that "sinister people ruin lives" is basically the logline for the whole movie.

lorenzo
Oct 4, 2009

TenSpadesBeTrump, I'd go with Stalker!

Here's my list:

Night of the Living dead - Kind of a paradox considering I'm big fan of horror. Unfortunately Martyrs and visiting gore websites has made me desensitized so I don't really find anything scary anymore.

Aliens - For me, Cameron is just-OK. I thought Titanic was extremely good but I do not like most of the others like Terminator, Avatar, etc.

Citizen Kane - Seems good but perhaps overrated by critics.

Dr. Strangelove - A classic that seems like I might not "get it" if I watched it.

The Fountain - One of my friends recommended this, but I just don't know much about this movie. I did like Requiem for a Dream a lot.

Raging Bull - Looks great just never watched.

Pan's Labyrinth - Looks like a children's movie to me, which isn't always a bad thing since I enjoy movies like Alice in Wonderland, Coreline, and other trippy adventures movies.

The White Sun of the Desert - I've heard some of the score to this movie and loved it. Seems like a must-watch.

Barry Lyndon - Not sure.

Full Metal Jacket - Looks interesting.

Reaction to Pan's Labyrinth: I felt like this movie had a lot of potential that was wasted. Every scene was engaging and well executed. I loved the elements of fantasy and the banquet scene was bonechillingly awesome. However, there was little to no character development and for me the ending is unsatisfying and meaningless.

While the majority of the effects were beautifully done, the gore was pitiful and cartoonish. Every time someone got shot a red mist sprayed out. Slices to the skin looked like they were slicing pieces of rubber. It was hard for me to take those scenes seriously.

I was extremely let down by how the movie ended. Why is Ofelia unwilling to give up a couple drops of blood from her brother? Seems like a relatively small sacrifice to reach paradise. Why is she rewarded with royal status after breaking her promise twice in a row? It seemed very contrived and rushed. Captain Vidal's death scene was a major letdown; it seemed like the plot had reached a dead end.

The movie attempts to make the cheap point that good people are rewarded and bad people are punished, but it does so in the most unconvincing way possible.

Thanks for the recommendation though!

lorenzo fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Nov 17, 2011

Palomares
Oct 13, 2011

by T. Fine
It's a tough list lorenzo! But the one that I chose for you is Pan's Labyrinth. Completely for personal reasons. It's one of my favorite movies all time, and no, it most certainly not a children's movie just be prepared for that

My list?

Godfather: This to me is unforgivable but the reason I haven't popped it in is because I only have a pan and scan VHS copy and I try to promise myself when I watch it it'll be on blu ray. Then when I'm in the video store I just forget.

2001 A Space Odyssey: It seems like the kind of movie that would be more fun to watch with people around me willing to help me interpret it on a academic level as well.

Man Bite's Dog: The cover art of a man shooting a baby intimidates me. Yet I hear it's a very well done film.

Goodfellas: Just never got around to watching it.

Trainspotting: Another film that seems fairly intimidating regarding the subject matter.

Three Kings Supposed to be really good but I don't hear many people recommending it.

Jackie Brown: I've heard nothing but glowing reviews of it. Plus it's the only Tarantino movie I haven't seen.

Boogie Nights: Seems really interesting

Shawshank Redemption I accidently saw the ending on T.V. one time so I dunno if it'd still be worth seeing.

Clerks I hate what Kevin Smith has become but I would love to see where he started.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
This article is sort of relevant to the thread. The Godfather is the movie most people lie about having seen, according to a study on the userbase of British dvd rental service lovefilm.com.

e. Someone make Palomares watch The Godfather, is what I'm trying to say here.

MIDWIFE CRISIS fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 16, 2011

Mistletoe Donkey
Jan 26, 2009
Palomares, you get The Godfather

The Asphalt Jungle was a stellar crime film. The screen just oozed toughness from the beginning. The heist was pretty much an afterthought compared to the planning and aftermath. Also, apparently it was set in the most corrupt city on earth. It seemed like everyone had an angle or something they were trying to pull.

1) Last Year at Marienbad- everything I hear about this intrigues me
2) Paths of Glory- working on some more Kubrick
3) Waltz with Bashir- I hear this is great
4) Once Upon A Time In America- finishing up the "big" Leone films
5) Le Doulos- Bring on the French crime films, I'm loving them
6) Love and Death- I'm trying to fill in my Woody Allen holes
7) Captain Blood- let's have some fun
8) Pale Flower- this looks interesting
9) His Girl Friday- catching up on my older comedies
10) The Searchers- because it's time

Watched: Blade Runner, Seven Samurai, Lawrence of Arabia, Alien, Breathless, Forbidden Planet, Night of the Living Dead, Days of Heaven, Bonnie and Clyde, Stagecoach, Once Upon a Time in the West, Blue Velvet, Bullet in the Head, The Shining, Jackie Brown, Mulholland Drive, The Godfather Part 2, The Right Stuff, The Big Sleep, My Darling Clementine, The Seventh Seal, Le Samourai, Vertigo, Le Cercle Rouge, Dog Day Afternoon, Double Indemnity, Requiem for a Dream, Singin' In The Rain, Serpico, 8 1/2, The General, Dracula, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, Solaris, Brazil, City Lights, Aguirre the Wrath of God, The Day The Earth Stood Still, Planet of the Apes, 12 Monkeys, The Gold Rush, The Getaway, Dawn of the Dead, The Dirty Dozen, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Zodiac, Chinatown, Memories of Murder, The Insider, The Thing From Another World, The Thing, The Wrath of Khan, Pierrot Le Fou, Oldboy, All The President's Men, Army of Shadows, 2046, Frankenstein, The Battle of Algiers, The Wages of Fear, Gojira, King Kong, Sleeper, Wings of Desire, Steamboat Bill Jr., The Birds, Pan's Labyrinth, The Friends of Eddie Coyle, Rashomon, Amelie, Wild Strawberries, Les Diaboliques, The Furies, It's A Wonderful Life, Network, Metropolis, Lady Vengeance, Sherlock Jr., The 400 Blows, High and Low, Carrie, The Iron Giant, M, Modern Times, Duck Soup, The Battleship Potemkin, The Leopard, Rififi, Winchester '73, The Asphalt Jungle

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Mistletoe Donkey posted:

2) Paths of Glory- working on some more Kubrick
Not the typical war movie, but worth a look.

I've watched all the movies on the list by myself and really got lazy with them the last couple of months. Well I watched Fast Times at Ridgemont High with a group just on a whim so it certainly may alter my perception a bit. Very fun period movie that had some amazing actors come out of it. It was nice in that it wasn't built around gags or set pieces, just a fun and funny 80s piece.

New List:

1. E.T.: The Extra Terrestrial - Really nothing I can say to justify this.

2. Planet of the Apes - I've probably watched about a quarter of this movie including the ending. I've never seen it all the way through.

3. V for Vendetta - I've always associated it with Sin City although now that I've seen Sin City it's probably much different.

4. The Departed - Most recent best picture I haven't seen.

5. Rebecca - Hitchcock's best picture film. Like most everything else that's not recent on this list, I'm going in blind.

6. The Graduate - All I knew is Dustin Hoffman, "Mrs. Robinson are you trying to seduce me", and Simon and Garfunkel.

7. Stand by Me - Seems to be liked by everyone I know. What I know is that it's supposed to be a Goonies-esque coming of age type of adventure movie.

8. City Lights - Highest top 250 movie I haven't seen and a nice reappearance of Chaplin.

9. Wild Strawberries - Have never seen a Bergman film (I know, I know).

10. Dog Day Afternoon - Recommended to me by my father among others recently.

Watched Count 79: Chinatown 9/10, 12 Angry Men 10/10, Gone With the Wind 7/10, Casablanca 8.5/10, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest 9.5/10, The Godfather Part I 10/10, The Godfather Part II 9.5/10, Goodfellas 10/10, Do the Right Thing 7/10, A Clockwork Orange 6.5/10, Wall-E 10/10, Citizen Kane 9/10, Aliens 9.5/10, The Shawshank Redemption 9.5/10, Back to the Future 8/10, Schindler's List 10/10, Saving Private Ryan 9/10, Dr. Strangelove 6/10, Raging Bull 7/10, Rear Window 8.5/10, The Green Mile 7.5/10, Braveheart 8/10, Apocalypse Now 10/10, Seven Samurai 9/10, The Great Escape 8.5/10, City of God 8/10, Vertigo 8.5/10, Blue Velvet 8.5/10, Ratatouille 8/10, All Quiet on the Western Front 8/10, Mulholland Dr. 9/10, Sunset Blvd. 9/10, Bridge on the River Kwai 8.5/10, Memento 9/10, Unforgiven 9/10, The Usual Suspects 9/10, Network 9/10, The Social Network 7/10, Psycho 8.5/10, Black Swan 8/10, The Professional (Leon) 7.5/10, Duck Soup 7/10, Up 8.5/10, The Silence of the Lambs 9.5/10, The Hurt Locker 7.5/10, Animal Crackers 7.5/10, American Beauty 9/10, The Princess Bride 8.5/10, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington 7.5/10, The Great Dictator 8.5/10, The King's Speech 7.5/10, American History X 7/10, Taxi Driver 8/10, The Philadelphia Story 8/10, Cars 6.5/10, Dial M for Murder 7.5/10, Amélie 8.5/10, Spirited Away 9/10, North by Northwest 9.5/10, Paths of Glory 8/10, Some Like it Hot 8.5/10, On the Waterfront 7.5/10, Platoon 8/10, Annie Hall 7.5/10, Patton 7.5/10, Harvey 6/10, Nikita 5.5/10, Yojimbo 8/10, How to Train Your Dragon 7.5/10, To Kill a Mockingbird 10/10, This is Spinal Tap 11/11, Fargo 8/10, Sin City 8.5/10, Wayne's World 7/10, A Streetcar Named Desire 5/10, Barton Fink 8/10, Slumdog Millionaire 8/10, No Country for Old Men 8/10, Rashomon 6/10, Fast Times at Ridgemont High 7/10

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

marioinblack posted:

9. Wild Strawberries - Have never seen a Bergman film (I know, I know).

Then it's about time you did.

For years I've been putting off watching Some Like it Hot thinking cross-dressing humour with Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon would not be able to go two hours without getting dull. While I think there is a lull in the second act it picks up again and with fast paced dialogue and great performances by everyone I'm glad I saw it. I wouldn't consider it one of the best movies I've ever seen but it's definitely enjoyable. They did not look good as women (I know that's the joke!).

LIST O SHAME:

2) Five Easy Pieces - Going to keep watching the America Lost and Found Box Set.

5) Black Moon - Drawn in by various cover art for years. No idea what it's about.

7)Singin' In the Rain – Highest in IMDB top 250 I haven’t seen

8)The Rules of the Game - It's so highly regarded and yet I know nothing about it.

9)Shotgun Stories - Don't know anything about this but I'm highly anticipating Take Shelter and would like to see this first.

10)Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance - Love Oldboy and have never gotten around to seeing the rest of the Vengeance trilogy.

SHAME BE GONE: Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our Man in Havana, Breathless, Phenomena, Withnail & I, 12 Angry Men, The Cranes Are Flying, Fitzcarraldo, Amadeus, Paths of Glory, Blow Out, Cronos, Hausu, City Lights, Easy Rider, The Lives of Others, Salo, In the Bedroom, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, Cars, Brand Upon the Brain!, The Great Dictator, Double Indemnity, Point Blank, Cool Hand Luke, 127 Hours, Black Narcissus, Lawrence of Arabia, The Sting, A Woman is a Woman, Life of Brian, Last Picture Show, The Company of Wolves, Tree of Life, Life is Beautiful, Young Frankenstein, Cinema Paradiso, Some Like it Hot

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
Ratedargh, Shotgun Stories isn't very good, but if it's stopping you from watching Take Shelter (which is great), then get it out of the way.

Stalker is possibly the most enigmatic and mysterious film I've seen. It's another Tarkovsky that could stand to be about an hour shorter, although this one wasn't as slow as Solaris, mostly because the location shooting and cinematography were stunning. The mysteries of The Zone where also intriguing, and the final shot is one of the best of all time. 4/5

Kes
Still Life
The World of Apu
Au Hasard Balthazar
Next on TSPDT.
Cabaret
Days of Heaven
My last Malick.
The Apostle
I want to see some more good Robert Duvall performances.

Not ashamed anymore: Lawrence of Arabia 4.5/5, The Battle of Algiers 2/5, Toy Story 2 3.5/5, Sherman's March 3.5/5, His Girl Friday 4/5, Last Year at Marienbad 3/5, M 4/5, Stolen Kisses 3/5, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 4/5, Lost Highway 4/5, Gates of Heaven 3/5, Downfall 4/5, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 4/5, Grizzly Man 4/5, Wings of Desire 2/5, Z 3/5, A Shot in the Dark 2.5/5, Toy Story 3 4.5/5, The Fountain 4/5, Inland Empire 2/5, The Wild Bunch 4/5, Hunger 4.5/5, The Green Mile 3.5/5, The Ballad of Cable Hogue 4/5, A Woman Under the Influence 5/5, La Dolce Vita 4/5, Das Boot 4.5/5, Camera Buff 4.5/5, The Red Shoes 4.5/5, The Rules of the Game 3.5/5, Persona 4.5/5, Black Narcissus 2.5/5, The Battleship Potemkin 3.5/5, Departures 4/5, The Wages of Fear 4.5/5, Werckmeister Harmonies, 4/5, Blazing Saddles 1.5/5, Pickpocket 4/5, McCabe and Mrs. Miller 5/5, Le Cercle Rouge 4/5, Night and Fog ?/5, Opening Night 5/5, Notorious 4.5/5, Night of the Living Dead 3.5/5, Seven Chances 4/5, Faces 4/5, Europa 3/5, A Day at the Races 4/5, Three Colors: White 4.5/5, Vernon, Florida 4.5/5, Hud 3.5/5, Slacker 4.5/5, The Thing 4/5, Code Unknown 3.5/5, The Double Life of Veronique 4/5, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 4/5, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie 4.5/5, Sullivan's Travels 3.5/5, The Death of Mr. Lazarescu 4/5, Ben-Hur 2.5/5, Mona Lisa 3/5, Brief Encounter 4/5, Laura 4/5, Beauty and the Beast 4/5, Solaris 3/5, Alphaville 4/5, Nights of Cabiria 3.5/5, Gun Crazy 4/5, Tokyo Story 3.5/5, The Piano Teacher 3.5/5, Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans 3.5/5, The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 4/5, The Best Years of Our Lives 4.5/5, A Bittersweet Life 4.5/5, Rebecca 3.5/5, Sleuth 4.5/5, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie 4/5, Hearts and Minds 3/5, L'Atalante 2.5/5, The Passion of Joan of Arc 4.5/5, Far From Heaven 4/5, Children of Paradise 3.5/5, Shock Corridor 3/5, Heaven Can Wait 4/5, That Obscure Object of Desire 4.5/5, Before Sunrise 4/5, Before Sunset 5/5, When We Were Kings 4.5/5, Rio Bravo 4.5/5, Ordet 3.5/5, Bed and Board 2.5/5, Alice 3.5/5, Idioterne 4.5/5, L'avventura 2/5, Au Revoir Les Enfants 4.5/5 Amarcord 3.5/5, A.I. Artificial Intelligence 2.5/5, Princess Mononoke 2/5, Tender Mercies 4/5, Ran 5/5, Witness for the Prosecution 4.5/5, Winchester '73 4/5, Local Hero 3.5/5, Fanny and Alexander 5/5, Diabolique 3/5, The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans 3.5/5, Ugetsu 4/5, Salo, or the 120 Days of Sodom 1.5/5, Syndromes and a Century 4/5, Smiles of a Summer Night 4/5, Shadows 2.5/5, Umberto D. 3.5/5, Naked 5/5, Andrei Rublev 2/5, A Matter of Life and Death 4.5/5, I Am Cuba 4/5, A Zed and Two Noughts 5/5, The Belly of an Architect 3/5, Videodrome 4/5, Picnic at Hanging Rock 3/5, 2046 4.5/5, Fallen Angels 4/5, Schizopolis 4/5, Blind Chance 2.5/5, The Grapes of Wrath 4/5, Ace in the Hole 4.5/5, Safe 4/5, Woman in the Dunes 5/5, Scarface 4.5/5, The Man who Shot Liberty Valance 4/5, Ghost World 3.5/5, Contempt 3.5/5, The Magnificent Ambersons 4/5, Fantastic Planet 3.5/5, The Kid 3.5/5, Santa Sangre 4/5, Pather Panchali 4/5, The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser 4.5/5, Aparajito 4.5/5, Tout Va Bien 3.5/5, A Face in the Crowd 4.5/5, The Class 5/5, Intolerance 3/5, 71 Fragments of a Chronology of Chance 2.5/5, The Holy Mountain 4/5, Nosferatu 3.5/5, Sweet Smell of Success 4/5, Stalker 4/5

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

lorenzo posted:

TenSpadesBeTrump, I'd go with Stalker!

Here's my list:

Night of the Living dead - Kind of a paradox considering I'm big fan of horror. Unfortunately Martyrs and visiting gore websites has made me desensitized so I don't really find anything scary anymore.

Aliens - For me, Cameron is just-OK. I thought Titanic was extremely good but I do not like most of the others like Terminator, Avatar, etc.

Dr. Strangelove - A classic that seems like I might not "get it" if I watched it.

The Fountain - One of my friends recommended this, but I just don't know much about this movie. I did like Requiem for a Dream a lot.

Pan's Labyrinth - Looks like a children's movie to me, which isn't always a bad thing since I enjoy movies like Alice in Wonderland, Coreline, and other trippy adventures movies.

The White Sun of the Desert - I've heard some of the score to this movie and loved it. Seems like a must-watch.

Barry Lyndon - Not sure.

Reaction to Pan's Labyrinth: I felt like this movie had a lot of potential that was wasted. Every scene was engaging and well executed. I loved the elements of fantasy and the banquet scene was bonechillingly awesome. However, there was little to no character development and for me the ending is unsatisfying and meaningless.

While the majority of the effects were beautifully done, the gore was pitiful and cartoonish. Every time someone got shot a red mist sprayed out. Slices to the skin looked like they were slicing pieces of rubber. It was hard for me to take those scenes seriously.

I was extremely let down by how the movie ended. Why is Ofelia unwilling to give up a couple drops of blood from her brother? Seems like a relatively small sacrifice to reach paradise. Why is she rewarded with royal status after breaking her promise twice in a row? It seemed very contrived and rushed. Captain Vidal's death scene was a major letdown; it seemed like the plot had reached a dead end.

The movie attempts to make the cheap point that good people are rewarded and bad people are punished, but it does so in the most unconvincing way possible.

Thanks for the recommendation though!

Are you not wanting to continue in this thread? Just wanted one movie picked for you? If you want more movies picked, you should reply, pick for the person who posted above you, repost your list with a new movie in place of Pans Labyrinth.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

TenSpadesBeTrump posted:

Days of Heaven
My last Malick.

Finish him off.

I really enjoyed Shotgun Stories. TenSpadesBeTrump had me worried when he picked it for me but it proved better than I was anticipating. It's very matter of fact with every little detail and in some cases this hurts the movie (characters as devices of exposition asking point blank about rumours surrounding the shotgun wounds on Son's back). Otherwise it's an engaging, sad story about old wounds that refuse to heal completely and eventually open up again. Definitely worth the watch.

LIST O SHAME:

7)Singin' In the Rain – Highest in IMDB top 250 I haven’t seen

9)The Changeling - Friend lent it to me. All I know is it's George C. Scott in a horror movie.

10)Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance - Love Oldboy and have never gotten around to seeing the rest of the Vengeance trilogy

SHAME BE GONE: Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our Man in Havana, Breathless, Phenomena, Withnail & I, 12 Angry Men, The Cranes Are Flying, Fitzcarraldo, Amadeus, Paths of Glory, Blow Out, Cronos, Hausu, City Lights, Easy Rider, The Lives of Others, Salo, In the Bedroom, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, Cars, Brand Upon the Brain!, The Great Dictator, Double Indemnity, Point Blank, Cool Hand Luke, 127 Hours, Black Narcissus, Lawrence of Arabia, The Sting, A Woman is a Woman, Life of Brian, Last Picture Show, The Company of Wolves, Tree of Life, Life is Beautiful, Young Frankenstein, Cinema Paradiso, Some Like it Hot, Shotgun Stories

Desiato
Mar 8, 2006

Thy next foe is...
Going to recommend Singing in the Rain, an iconic movie that needs to be seen, a great sendoff of the silent film era.

LIST OF SHAME:
1.Les Diaboliques: Murder, suspense, B&W, french, all things I love.

2.Island of Lost Souls: Criterion just released a blu-ray and I've heard a lot of great things.

3.The Phantom Carriage: Same as above.

4.Cul-de-sac: Wasn't the biggest fan of Repulsion, hoping to get a better feel for early Polanski.

5.Twilight Samurai: Haven't seen a modern samurai movie that matches the classics, but this one came highly recommended.

6.Masculin Feminin: One of the few Godards I haven't seen.

7.The Filth and Fury: Documentary about the Sex Pistols, why not?

8.The World of Apu: LOVED the first two movies in the series, not sure why I haven't finished the trilogy.

9.Le Beau Serge: Considered the first film in the French Nouvelle Vague movement.

10.Orpheus: Just saw Beauty and the Beast recently, now I want more Jean Cocteau.

PDMChubby
Feb 2, 2007

Desiato, Masculin feminin is definitely not my favorite Godard but give it a shot.

Top Hat is complete fluff, but I guess that's the point. All the faults that I saw in Swing Time are here too, but to a worse degree: sub-par acting, lame romance, and hit-or-miss comedy... but dammit if it isn't just a bit of light fun. Whatever, the dance numbers are what's important anyway, and they're pretty splendid.

Also, bonus points for less blackface.

List:

1. La Notte - Love L'avventura, would like to get through the trilogy

2. Andrei Rublev - The last of the TSPDT Top 50, Tarkovsky's rough

3. The Big Parade - Might as well keep putting up silents

4. The Blue Angel - Haven't seen a von Sternberg

5. The Conformist - I know very little about this

6. Rififi - I'm down

7. Ninotchka - Need more Lubitsch

8. Dogville - Hate Antichrist, love Dancer in the Dark, think Lars von Trier is an insufferable poo poo; let's do this

9. *NEW* McCabe & Mrs. Miller - Altman hasn't let me down yet

10. The King of Comedy - Got some Scorsese holes

Films I've Watched: Dawn of the Dead - 3.5/5; Adaptation - 4.5/5; Sullivan's Travels - 3.5/5; Touch of Evil - 4/5; Once Upon a Time in the West - 4/5; Boogie Nights - 3.5/5; Almost Famous - 4.5/5; Hiroshima Mon Amour - 4/5; City of God - 4/5; The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - 3.5/5; Brazil - 5/5; Sunset Boulevard - 4.5/5; The Conversation - 3/5; Trainspotting - 3/5; L.A. Confidential - 4/5; Napoléon - 4/5; The Green Mile - 3/5; E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial - 3/5; Léon: The Professional - 2.5/5; Sideways - 2.5/5; MASH - 4.5/5; The Philadelphia Story - 3.5/5; Three Colors: Blue - 5/5; Night and Fog - 3/5; Das Boot - 4/5; Three Colors: White - 4.5/5; Red River - 4.5/5; Le Samourai - 4/5; Fitzcarraldo - 4/5; Greed - 4/5; Sweet Smell of Success - 5/5; Stranger Than Paradise - 3/5; Top Hat - 3.5/5

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
stiil Citizen Kane.

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

PDMChubby posted:

9. *NEW* McCabe & Mrs. Miller - Altman hasn't let me down yet

This is possibly my favourite Altman (along with The Player and MASH). Enjoy!

I was leery about Singin' in the Rain because I don't particularly enjoy musicals. Musical numbers sprouting up out of nowhere has always been jarring for me as a viewer. I was in musicals in high school, fun to perform but I'll never like Fame. In this case, the numbers mostly work in the context of the story and the non-musical sequences are filled with great dialogue and performances. The music itself is not my thing so I did find my interest waning during some of the extended numbers (not all, just a few). It's a movie I respect more than I enjoyed.

LIST O SHAME:

7)All About Eve – Highest in IMDB top 250 I haven’t seen

9)The Changeling - Friend lent it to me. All I know is it's George C. Scott in a horror movie.

10)Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance - Love Oldboy and have never gotten around to seeing the rest of the Vengeance trilogy

SHAME BE GONE: Wild Strawberries, Sunset Blvd., The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, Our Man in Havana, Breathless, Phenomena, Withnail & I, 12 Angry Men, The Cranes Are Flying, Fitzcarraldo, Amadeus, Paths of Glory, Blow Out, Cronos, Hausu, City Lights, Easy Rider, The Lives of Others, Salo, In the Bedroom, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie, Cars, Brand Upon the Brain!, The Great Dictator, Double Indemnity, Point Blank, Cool Hand Luke, 127 Hours, Black Narcissus, Lawrence of Arabia, The Sting, A Woman is a Woman, Life of Brian, Last Picture Show, The Company of Wolves, Tree of Life, Life is Beautiful, Young Frankenstein, Cinema Paradiso, Some Like it Hot, Shotgun Stories, Singin' in the Rain

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
I like how fair you're being to Singing in the Rain- even though it wasn't your cup of tea, you understand what others see in it. That's a good attitude for a critic to have. A die roll says for you to enjoy Precious next.

A Face in the Crowd was very good. Lonesome Rhodes had a lot more depth than I was expecting. I thought he’d be basically a shameless con man from the beginning, but he was pretty innocent at the start. He ended up pretty sad- you couldn’t tell how much he believed his own press. He got caught up in the myth of his own celebrity and ended up crushed when even he didn’t know what was real. His behavior was generally loathsome, especially the way he used and disposed of women, and yet he also had some good points, like the way he railed against the corporate sponsor. But then, of course, he turns around and works for an even bigger sponsor. He’s not so much a hypocrite as he is someone who simply has no core values at all. Andy Griffith’s performance was absolutely stellar. I watched this movie with my dad, and he recognized a lot of big stars, but I didn’t catch any of them. The movie dragged a bit in the middle, when it showed Lonesome’s rise to the top and all the improbable things that happened (such as people naming ships and mountains after him). Otherwise, it was very strong all around. I felt the ending was a bit long, but mainly because I already knew a lot of what was going to happen. However, I thought Mel’s epilogue was necessary, explaining how Lonesome would go on to have another show and slowly fade away. It would be unbelievable for him to instantly vanish- some of his followers would delude themselves that he wasn’t really like that (blame it on the drat liberal media!).

Rating: 3.5/4

5. 2001: A Space Odyssey - More sci-fi that everyone but me has seen. I think my dad has a copy, so that would make it easier. I think I already know most of the plot, but that doesn't mean I won't enjoy it. If I'm given this one, I promise to try my best not to make too many Portal jokes.

9. The Aviator - More from that Scorsese clown. This one isn't as much a must see as some of the others, but it's added shame because it's another one that I own but haven't seen (there's probably another five movies like that, but most of them are more obscure). I bought it for three bucks about four years ago when a local video store went out of business and I've never taken it out of the box.

14. Apocalypse Now- Guy goes up a river, sees weird poo poo, the horror, goes back down the river, man is evil. Well, that's how my brother summed up Heart of Darkness, which I tried to read in high school and got to about page three. But I know this is a fairly loose adaptation and is supposed to be great, and Martin Sheen is awesome, so I'd be cool with this.

16. Schindler's List- Of course, I know what this is about, but I know very few details. My wife has seen it and said she'd watch it with me. Since she usually doesn't like serious movies, this is a strong recommendation indeed.

18. Deer Hunter- I seem to be seeing a lot of Christopher Walken bit parts, so let's see one of his rare starring roles. I started watching this one a while ago, but never got more than a few minutes in- I think I got called away, or maybe I just wasn't in the mood. I do know it ends with death by Russian Roulette, but I still think I'd enjoy it.

20. The Seventh Seal- Never seen any Bergman- like Kurosawa, it seems I'd have to go out of my way, even though I've heard lots about him. I know this is the one where the guy plays chess with death to save his soul (I once read a parody of this by Woody Allen, where a guy plays Gin Rummy with death to save his soul). That's about all I know, but I hope the chess game opens with 1. e4 c5, so I can point out that you should never go up against a Sicilian when death is on the line.

24. The Great Dictator- I think this Chaplin kid may be going somewhere. Maybe I should take a look at one of his movies.

25. Treasure of the Sierra Madre- Movies? We don't need no stinkin' movies! Yeah, I liked Bogart in Casablanca, so I'll probably like him in this, too, but mainly I just want to learn to do the prospector dance.

26. Battleship Potemkin- I have no idea what this is about- is it Russian, I think? I don't know, but it's on so many best of all time lists that I figure I should put it on mine.

27. Gattaca- Another on the embarrassingly long "owned but not watched" list. This is sci-fi, I think having something to do when genetic engineering? I was thinking maybe it was a prison, but that's Attica. As you can see, I'm mostly blind on this one.

Okay, tell me what I’m watching!

Shame relieved: The Godfather: 3.5/4, The Godfather Part II: 4/4, Taxi Driver: 4/4, Casablanca: 4/4, Duck Soup: 2/4, Pulp Fiction: 4/4, Barton Fink: 3.5/4, Annie Hall:3/4, Rashomon: 4/4, Blade Runner: 3.5/4, Chinatown: 4/4, Nashville: 3.5/4, Goodfellas: 4/4, The Seven Samurai: 4/4, Superman: 2/4, The Exorcist: 3/4, A Face in the Crowd: 3.5/4

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
So Seven Samurai was pretty amazing. I always balked on it because I'm just not a big fan of samurai films but obviously I've had the wrong impression of samurais (that they're like Asian cowboys). What really drew me into the film, besides the great storytelling, was the wide array of commentary: on social classes, on surviving, on life, death, love, war, etc. It's the kind of long film that's hard to imagine being any shorter due to the sheer amount of stuff in it. I'm also easily bored during battle scenes but besides the emotional involvement Kurosawa's direction of the final hour is so masterful that it was not only impossible to be confused or lost but to look away.

Masterpiece etc.

10/10

SHAAAAAAME

1) The Godfather Part 2 - Technically seen it but it's basically absent from my mind. Now that I'm not an easily-bored teenager maybe it'll stick better.

2) Hiroshima mon amour - I was perplexed by but really loved Last Year At Marienbad. I'm not really sure what this is about but it's the most interesting-looking movie next on TSPDT.

3) L'Atalante - I honestly don't know anything about this but man, number 14 on TSPDT must mean something.

4) I Know Where I'm Going! - gently caress me, I've rented this like four times and for some reason I never watch it, which is retarded because I love Powell and Pressburger.

5) Rashomon - More TSPDT, more Kurosawa, what's not to like?

6) Vivre sa vie - Replacing a new-wave with a new-wave, this is another meant-to-never-saw. Great that it's on Blu now. I think I skipped this one for A Woman Is A Woman when they were doing a Godard retrospective at SIFF.

7) Baraka - Put it on Netflix queue after seeing Koyaanisqatsi, never got it up to the top three because half of my dogged devotion to Koyetc is the Philip Glass score and the theme about industrialization. But apparently it's like mindblowingly cool or something I dunno.

8) Bringing Up Baby - My film professor told me to watch this once and I didn't for some reason. Apparently it has Cary Grant and a baby tiger?

9) The Princess Bride - I do not think this quote means what I think it means.

10) The Magic Flute - This has been in my Netflix since I was like 13. I love this opera and I love Ingmar Bergman.

Jules et Jim 6/10, Saving Private Ryan 9.5/10, Fitzcarraldo 9/10, The 39 Steps 7/10, Notorious 7/10, Run Lola Run 8/10, Downfall 7.5/10, The Searchers 7.5/10, Tokyo Story 7/10, Gone With The Wind 10/10, Touch Of Evil 9.5/10, Ikiru 7.5/10, The Apartment 7/10, Bicycle Thieves 7/10, Moon 7/10, The Color Purple 7.5/10. The French Connection9.5/10, The Leopard 8/10, Yojimbo 8.5/10, Sanjuro 8/10, Das Boot8.5/10, The Conformist 8/10, Breathless 9/10, Where The Wild Things Are7.5/10, Vertigo 9/10, Raging Bull 10/10, Ordet 7/10, City Of God 9/10, The Wages Of Fear 9/10, Aguirre, The Wrath Of God 9/10, The Mirror 9.5/10, Through A Glass Darkly 10/10, On The Waterfront 6/10, The Straight Story 9/10, Lawrence Of Arabia 8.5/10, Dial M For Murder, 8/10 Winter Light 10/10, The Silence 9/10, Badlands 8/10, The Wrong Man 7/10, In The Mood For Love 9.5/10, Secret Honor 10/10, Gosford Park 10/10, Viridiana 7.5/10, The Exterminating Angel 9/10, Seven Samurai 10/10 (total: 44)

Jurgan, I hope The Seventh Seal won't be your last Bergman.

jonnykungfu
Nov 26, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

5) Rashomon - More TSPDT, more Kurosawa, what's not to like?

Kurosawa is so good...

Watched Steamboat Bill, Jr..

My Criticker review:

Less visually impressive than Sherlock Jr. or The General, but still a funny, inventive physical comedy. The first half is slow going, but it's worth waiting for the amazing storm sequence. Another great Buster Keaton film.

My list:

Ulysses' Gaze - I've heard Angelopoulos is great.

Day of Wrath - I loved The Passion of Joan of Arc but couldn't get into Ordet, so I've kinda given up on Dreyer.

Fires on the Plain - Didn't care for The Burmese Harp. Figure I should eventually see this one though.

The Son - I feel like I should give the Dardenne's a chance, but I find their style so boring.

Ashes and Diamonds - Kanal was great. Should enjoy this.

Lola Montes - Another Criterion sale blind buy. Sounds pretty awesome.

Silent Light - Sounds really interesting and the style seems right up my alley.

Fallen Angels - Not a huge Kar Wai Wong fan, but I feel like I should see more of his work.

The Letter Never Sent - Been on my wishlist for a long time, and it just showed up on Hulu Plus in HD. I figure it's time.

City Lights - I'm in the mood for more silent comedy.

Watched: The Bad Sleep Well: 85/100, Die Nibelungen: Siegfried: 85/100, Die Nibelungen: Kriemhild's Revenge: 75/100, Tokyo Story: 70/100, Fanny and Alexander: 100/100, Stroszek: 70/100, When a Woman Ascends the Stairs: 85/100, Nostalghia: 85/100, Elevator to the Gallows: 85/100, Brand Upon the Brain!!: 90/100, Goodbye, Dragon Inn: 65/100, Kagemusha: 90/100, A Man Escaped: 90/100, Last Year at Marienbad: 95/100, Ran: 95/100, Les Enfants Terribles: 60/100, Uncle Boonmee who Can Recall His Past Lives: 85/100, Yi Yi:90/100, The Saragossa Manuscript: 85/100, Au Revoir Les Enfants: 80/100, Scenes from a Marriage: 80/100, Steamboat Bill, Jr.: 85/100.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

jonnykungfu posted:

City Lights - I'm in the mood for more silent comedy.

Only one I've seen on your list.

His Girl Friday - This is a strange cynical comedy with way too much dialogue. Listening to all these motormouths talking 500 words per minute gave me a headache and was a borderline hellish experience at times.

I theorize it was supposed to be funny that dozens of idiotic reporters were running around rooms jamming candlestick phones down their throats all while some guy is about to be executed and a woman jumps to her death/severe injury. Ultimately I felt like I was stuck on the floor of the NYSE and all the traders had been drugged with uppers.

also watched:

Let the Right One In - Boy meets girl and an awkward love story unfolds. While this broke some conventions it didn't do much for me. Would I have liked it more if Oskar and Eli were both a little older? Maybe, but then it loses some of its novelty and possibly becomes Bizarro Twilight. Is Oskar now the new Håkan?

PS I was watching this and the DVD froze halfway through (just another scratched DVD from the library) so then I started watching on Netflix and WTF? Many of the subtitles are drastically different. I googled this and now find millions of outraged fans across the world. I wasn't enjoying the film that much anyway and now that undermines the experience somewhat.

IMDb list:

#194 Mary and Max - Never heard of it. I just looked it up and it's about clay people. Hopefully it lives up to Gumby's standard. 6/22/11

#213 Howl's Moving Castle - I liked Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke but My Neighbor Totoro was a little too childish for me. 8/25/11

#237 Ip Man - This has been getting some good reviews. Thought it was some IT film when I first saw the title. 10/27/11

#241 Stalker - Watched Andrei Rublev a while ago and it was challenging. Been meaning to watch Solaris as well. 10/27/11

#246 Monsters, Inc. - I recall that this had lackluster reviews so seeing it on the top 250 is a surprise. 11/1/11

#249 Anatomy of a Murder - I remember the 1995 Clockers poster copying this films poster too closely. The Clockers poster had to be changed. 11/15/11

new #250 Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind - Don't know much about it. 11/20/11

new #251 Grand Illusion - Forgot about watching this one. 11/20/11

Zogo fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Nov 21, 2011

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Zogo posted:

Let the Right One In - Boy meets girl and an awkward love story unfolds. While this broke some conventions it didn't do much for me. Would I have liked it more if Oskar and Eli were both a little older? Maybe, but then it loses some of its novelty and possibly becomes Bizarro Twilight. Is Oskar now the new Håkan?

I was told that the girl was actually a neutered boy. If so, I missed it in the movie, but I think it was more explained in the book. Anyway, I really liked it.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Zogo posted:

It's actually a pretty fun film.

I quite liked Hamlet, not sure how it fares against other versions, as this is the first cinematic version I saw(Unless you count The Lion King, The Bad Sleep Well and that one episode of MST3K). Read and watched the play, but no film adaptations. Though I distinctly remember that the play I watched did not last 4 hours, it was an abridged version and did not lose anything because of it. As it is, the strength and weakness of Branagh's Hamlet is that he decided to do the full play, and the result is that the film is to long, and watching Shakespearan monologues is more captivating on stage than on film. There are plenty of dull moments through out, and you end up noticing the length. Though I did enjoy it in the end, it has that Epic tone to it and great camerawork, so when the film hits it right it's wonderful to watch.

The Shame List:

The Adventures of Baron Munchausen Looks insane.

Carlos the Jackal It's quite long. 330 minutes long.

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me She's dead, wrapped in plastic.

Wallace & Gromit in The Curse of the Were-Rabbit Love the shorts, never got around to this one for some reason.

Gangs of New York Only Scorsese I haven't watched from his 00's output.

Mesrine: Killer Instinct/Public Enemy No.1

The Long Good Friday English gangsters featuring Super Mario.

Have watched so far 21 movies: Barton Fink, Sweet Smell of Success, The 400 Blows, Rocky, Videodrome, Charade, The Double Life of Veronique, Ace in the Hole, Easy Rider, Dark City, Gosford Park, Seven, Hard Boiled, Mystic River, The Magnificent Ambersons, Midnight Cowboy, A Serious Man, A Hard Day's Night, Manhattan, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Hamlet.

lorenzo
Oct 4, 2009

Electronico6, I'd go with Wallace and Gromit. I've seen it 3-4 times and it's a lot of fun.

LIST O' SHAME:

The Conversation - This movie looks...thrilling.

Barry Lyndon - Not sure.

Reaction to Dr. Strangelove: I'd say this is a new favorite of mine. It's so unique, imaginative, and nonsensical in a way that reflects reality. Favorite quote of the movie: "You know Mandrake, I happen to believe in a life after this one and I know I'll have to answer to what I've done. And I think I can." - Jack D. Ripper right before killing himself. Had me in stitches.

lorenzo fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Nov 22, 2011

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Jurgan posted:

I was told that the girl was actually a neutered boy. If so, I missed it in the movie, but I think it was more explained in the book. Anyway, I really liked it.

They did have a zoom-in shot on the genitalia but it looked like a cracked egg or something really odd. Eli does have lines like "would you still like me if I wasn't a girl?" Now I took that as being a vampire/undead or some sort. Others may have taken it as a sex reference.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Zogo posted:

They did have a zoom-in shot on the genitalia but it looked like a cracked egg or something really odd. Eli does have lines like "would you still like me if I wasn't a girl?" Now I took that as being a vampire/undead or some sort. Others may have taken it as a sex reference.

I think that line is meant to hint at Eli being a boy, but audiences will think it's about being a vampire.

TenSpadesBeTrump
Oct 22, 2010
lorenzo, enjoy Dr. Strangelove.

Days of Heaven - I love Malick's storytelling style. He flits from scene to scene, never lingering on any conversation for too long. It really gives a sense that this is a fully realized world, and that it exists beyond the frame (an important trait that I think most films lack). 4.5/5

Kes
Still Life
The World of Apu
Au Hasard Balthazar
Next on TSPDT.
Cabaret
The Apostle
The Freshman
Only seen Safety Last! from Lloyd.

Not ashamed anymore: Lawrence of Arabia 4.5/5, The Battle of Algiers 2/5, Toy Story 2 3.5/5, Sherman's March 3.5/5, His Girl Friday 4/5, Last Year at Marienbad 3/5, M 4/5, Stolen Kisses 3/5, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp 4/5, Lost Highway 4/5, Gates of Heaven 3/5, Downfall 4/5, Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid 4/5, Grizzly Man 4/5, Wings of Desire 2/5, Z 3/5, A Shot in the Dark 2.5/5, Toy Story 3 4.5/5, The Fountain 4/5, Inland Empire 2/5, The Wild Bunch 4/5, Hunger 4.5/5, The Green Mile 3.5/5, The Ballad of Cable Hogue 4/5, A Woman Under the Influence 5/5, La Dolce Vita 4/5, Das Boot 4.5/5, Camera Buff 4.5/5, The Red Shoes 4.5/5, The Rules of the Game 3.5/5, Persona 4.5/5, Black Narcissus 2.5/5, The Battleship Potemkin 3.5/5, Departures 4/5, The Wages of Fear 4.5/5, Werckmeister Harmonies, 4/5, Blazing Saddles 1.5/5, Pickpocket 4/5, McCabe and Mrs. Miller 5/5, Le Cercle Rouge 4/5, Night and Fog ?/5, Opening Night 5/5, Notorious 4.5/5, Night of the Living Dead 3.5/5, Seven Chances 4/5, Faces 4/5, Europa 3/5, A Day at the Races 4/5, Three Colors: White 4.5/5, Vernon, Florida 4.5/5, Hud 3.5/5, Slacker 4.5/5, The Thing 4/5, Code Unknown 3.5/5, The Double Life of Veronique 4/5, Close Encounters of the Third Kind 4/5, The Killing of a Chinese Bookie 4.5/5, Sullivan's Travels 3.5/5, The Death of Mr. Lazarescu 4/5, Ben-Hur 2.5/5, Mona Lisa 3/5, Brief Encounter 4/5, Laura 4/5, Beauty and the Beast 4/5, Solaris 3/5, Alphaville 4/5, Nights of Cabiria 3.5/5, Gun Crazy 4/5, Tokyo Story 3.5/5, The Piano Teacher 3.5/5, Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans 3.5/5, The Testament of Dr. Mabuse 4/5, The Best Years of Our Lives 4.5/5, A Bittersweet Life 4.5/5, Rebecca 3.5/5, Sleuth 4.5/5, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie 4/5, Hearts and Minds 3/5, L'Atalante 2.5/5, The Passion of Joan of Arc 4.5/5, Far From Heaven 4/5, Children of Paradise 3.5/5, Shock Corridor 3/5, Heaven Can Wait 4/5, That Obscure Object of Desire 4.5/5, Before Sunrise 4/5, Before Sunset 5/5, When We Were Kings 4.5/5, Rio Bravo 4.5/5, Ordet 3.5/5, Bed and Board 2.5/5, Alice 3.5/5, Idioterne 4.5/5, L'avventura 2/5, Au Revoir Les Enfants 4.5/5 Amarcord 3.5/5, A.I. Artificial Intelligence 2.5/5, Princess Mononoke 2/5, Tender Mercies 4/5, Ran 5/5, Witness for the Prosecution 4.5/5, Winchester '73 4/5, Local Hero 3.5/5, Fanny and Alexander 5/5, Diabolique 3/5, The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans 3.5/5, Ugetsu 4/5, Salo, or the 120 Days of Sodom 1.5/5, Syndromes and a Century 4/5, Smiles of a Summer Night 4/5, Shadows 2.5/5, Umberto D. 3.5/5, Naked 5/5, Andrei Rublev 2/5, A Matter of Life and Death 4.5/5, I Am Cuba 4/5, A Zed and Two Noughts 5/5, The Belly of an Architect 3/5, Videodrome 4/5, Picnic at Hanging Rock 3/5, 2046 4.5/5, Fallen Angels 4/5, Schizopolis 4/5, Blind Chance 2.5/5, The Grapes of Wrath 4/5, Ace in the Hole 4.5/5, Safe 4/5, Woman in the Dunes 5/5, Scarface 4.5/5, The Man who Shot Liberty Valance 4/5, Ghost World 3.5/5, Contempt 3.5/5, The Magnificent Ambersons 4/5, Fantastic Planet 3.5/5, The Kid 3.5/5, Santa Sangre 4/5, Pather Panchali 4/5, The Enigma of Kaspar Hauser 4.5/5, Aparajito 4.5/5, Tout Va Bien 3.5/5, A Face in the Crowd 4.5/5, The Class 5/5, Intolerance 3/5, 71 Fragments of a Chronology of Chance 2.5/5, The Holy Mountain 4/5, Nosferatu 3.5/5, Sweet Smell of Success 4/5, Stalker 4/5, Days of Heaven 4.5/5

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

TrixRabbi posted:

I think that line is meant to hint at Eli being a boy, but audiences will think it's about being a vampire.

Let the Right One In: That's certainly how I took it until I read people saying she was in fact a boy. I saw the shot of hir genitalia, but I thought it was a vagina. I didn't look close, and I don't know exactly what a twelve year old's vagina looks like, or I'd be on multiple sex offender registries.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

TenSpadesBeTrump posted:

The Apostle

Only seen this from your list. I saw this one in the theaters and thought that Duvall was memorable. Especially when wielding a baseball bat.

Monsters, Inc. - This was an okay film with a lot of recognizable voices. It wasn't as ambitious as some of Pixar's other films and the story didn't delve into anything too complex. I kept waiting for a scene with giant monsters to appear and now I realize I must've seen a few minutes of some other kids CGI monster film at some point. Anyone have an idea?

IMDb list:

#249 Anatomy of a Murder - I remember the 1995 Clockers poster copying this films poster too closely. The Clockers poster had to be changed. 11/15/11

#250 Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind - Don't know much about it. 11/20/11

#251 Grand Illusion - Forgot about watching this one. 11/20/11

new #252 Nosferatu - I meant to watch this many years ago (after watching Ernest Scared Stupid or an episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark? That TV show had an episode revolving around Nosferatu) and completely forgot about doing so. This was back when my only avenue was the local video store and there were many films that were impossible to find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

I liked that movie better the first time, when it was on Nickelodeon and called Ahhh! Real Monsters! Ah, but seriously, it was pretty good, but not one of the great Pixar movies.