Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

showering has no effect on germs and is terrible for your skin. there is no good reason to do it
How much better is an engineering degree then an engineering technology degree?

I have an associates in electrical engineering technology, and I want to go back to college. I really want to go for a bachelors in electrical engineering instead of engineering technology but it looks like almost none of my credits will transfer for that. If I go for the bachelor's in technology it's probably going to be two years less work, plus it's something I enjoyed and was good at.

What do you guys think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
I'm sorry, what is an engineering technology degree?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engineering_technologist

quote:

The Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology describes the difference between engineering and engineering technology as: "Engineering and technology are separate, but intimately related professions. Here are some of the ways they differ:

Engineering undergraduate programs include more mathematics work and higher level mathematics than technology programs.
Engineering undergraduate programs often focus on theory, while technology programs usually focus on application.
Once they enter the workforce, engineering graduates typically spend their time planning, while engineering technology graduates spend their time making plans work.
At ABET, engineering and engineering technology programs are evaluated and accredited by two separate accreditation commissions using two separate sets of accreditation criteria.
Graduates from engineering programs are called engineers, while graduates of technology programs are often called technologists.
Graduates from engineering technology programs are often hired as engineers.
Some U.S. state boards of professional engineering licensure will allow only graduates of engineering programs—not engineering technology programs—to become licensed engineers."[2]

First time I've ever heard of anything like this. What do you learn exactly?

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

showering has no effect on germs and is terrible for your skin. there is no good reason to do it
I'm not entirely sure of the differences myself. I get the feeling that the technology degree is just a dumbed-down engineering degree. There's less physics, less math, no work co-ops. I was hoping someone could tell me how much of that matters after I graduate.

Here's the programs I'm looking at, if you're interested:

Electrical Engineering
Electrical Engineering Technology

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Aardlof posted:

I'm not entirely sure of the differences myself. I get the feeling that the technology degree is just a dumbed-down engineering degree. There's less physics, less math, no work co-ops. I was hoping someone could tell me how much of that matters after I graduate.

Here's the programs I'm looking at, if you're interested:

Electrical Engineering
Electrical Engineering Technology

A place that I cooped hired these from time to time, though I never had much direct contact with them. From what I understand they are basically a tech, they may do some troubleshooting , but never any design or "real" engineering. They made a decent salary starting off (~$50k) but didn't have much opportunity for advancement compared to an EE.

OctaviusBeaver fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Nov 16, 2011

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
EE=engineer
EET=technician

There's a big gulf in pay and job opportunities; go for EE over EET.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Aardlof posted:

How much better is an engineering degree then an engineering technology degree?

I have an associates in electrical engineering technology, and I want to go back to college. I really want to go for a bachelors in electrical engineering instead of engineering technology but it looks like almost none of my credits will transfer for that. If I go for the bachelor's in technology it's probably going to be two years less work, plus it's something I enjoyed and was good at.

What do you guys think?
In my intro to engineering course at CC the local university sent their ET Dean to talk to us. He basically said that it qualifies you for things that engineers sometimes do that don't really require a formal engineering education. Things like testing and sales. There is some overlap, but also the one big thing is you will not be doing any design work as a tech.

He also showed us this very informative graphic:
http://www.csupomona.edu/~et/img/slide1.jpg

Sales is a big one because it's nice to have someone with a little bit of a technical background doing that.
There's a lot more words on their page:
http://www.csupomona.edu/~et/

Personally, I'm not really into it but I could see how some people want to be close to engineering but not exactly an engineer.

Wolfy fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Nov 16, 2011

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Aug 10, 2023

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

And for the intangibles: an actual engineering degree sets your smugness threshold much higher

That's why I'm becoming an engineer

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Aug 10, 2023

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Thoguh posted:

You've obviously never worked with a 60 year old lab tech who's been working on the same process in the same lab since before you were born.

Not a real engineer

:smugdog:

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
My favorite is when they treat you like an idiot for not knowing how to use whatever ancient piece of custom-made industrial equipment they use every day.

And when after a week or so of working with them, you realize that they really have no idea how it works either.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

It also varies by school, I got an MET bachelors for the exact same reasons as Aardlof, where I went to community college first and didn't want to repeat a year and a half of it to drop the "technology" from my degree. Our coursework was the same as a full bachelors except we were not forced to take DiffEQ to graduate, even though it was offered and most of the guys in my program took it as an elective. We had a few more hands-on classes than a pure ME would, things like welding and machining and wiring. Graduates from my program were allowed to take the FE/EIT exams and we had a better pass rate than the ME programs at the other state schools. Basically it was a really good technology program. I think another difference was that they didn't require a PhD to teach, only a master's, although most of my profs were PhDs. The best prof there was one of the non-PhDs.

As far as I can tell it hasn't affected my career one bit, I'm employed as an engineer with competitive pay.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Traitorous Leopard posted:

Not a real engineer

:smugdog:

You will get soooooo arsefucked in the workplace if you actually have that attitude. I've seen it and it's awesome when they get destroyed :)

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
I am in school for Mech E (not MET cause im better than that gently caress you all)

My experience with METs is that they usually work at smaller companies and the college programs are more hands on. For example one college I looked at BSMETs have a course on dedicated to PLCs/Machine Controls that the BSMEs do not have. This is something probably every engineer should understand before entering the work place but it is omitted from a lot of BSME programs. Math requirements are lower and typical first 2 year weed out classes are far less/less difficult. Someone coming in with Trig level math knowledge can complete a BSMET in 4 years, it will likely take the BSME student 5.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Nam Taf posted:

You will get soooooo arsefucked in the workplace if you actually have that attitude. I've seen it and it's awesome when they get destroyed :)

I was joking.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.
I had a supervisor with an MET degree once, we mocked him mercilessly for it. He also claimed that he did all the math an M.E would have done, to which we asked him why he didn't get a real ME degree. He actually had a masters in engineering technology too. But I think mostly he got poo poo because he was just generally a douche, if I didn't know from all the poo poo we gave him I wouldn't have known otherwise.
But that place was a shithole, our manager went to DeVry and knew less than anyone, and his boss was one of those "worked my way up from the factory floor, did my MBA at night school" types.

honestly though, it does look bad and unless you're able to get a job via internships/connections you'll have a harder time getting a job. I see job listings that say "engineering technology degrees do not qualify for this position" all the time. and it really sucks to have a four year degree and end up working as a tech. it's decently paid, but the jobs are hard to find and really hard to move out of, and it is usually total bitch work.

Exergy
Jul 21, 2011

I've seen opposite. I am in Technology Center of a big petroleum company and we have Mech Techs with 20-30 years of experience, which can handle the development of new sensors better than some PhDs. Of course they may be lacking some fundamental knowledge, but they have pragmatic approach and very good feel of equipment and processes, which in many cases may be better that knowing the equation behind the sensor.

With this said - although they have good compensation and are very respected their career opportunities are still limited, simply because they don't have "the degree".

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Aug 10, 2023

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.

Thoguh posted:

Wait, what's wrong with doing your MBA at night school? Basically every engineer with an MBA did it via evening/weekend classes. Otherwise you have to take time off of work and not get tuition reimbursement.

Nothing probably. I think he was implying the guy was an obnoxious bootstraps guy.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

wide stance posted:

Nothing probably. I think he was implying the guy was an obnoxious bootstraps guy.

There is something obnoxious about people who work up in the world?

Wet Bandits Copycat
Apr 18, 2004

Vomik posted:

Nope, but since it's becoming harder and harder to work up in the world it's becoming more and more obnoxious to wave your hands and say "just work harder!" Because sometimes it doesn't work. (Work hard anyway.)

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Thoguh posted:

Engineering Technology is applications without theory. So it basically means being a lab tech. Not a bad job at all and for a lot of people it'll be exactly what they want to do. The downside will be that an ET graduate is going to be very limited in their ability to move upward or even to a different company, since much of their knowledge will end up being process and equipment specific.

I'd compare being a ET guy in an engineering lab to being a maintenance guy in a manufacturing setting. The pay is good and you are the person who does a lot of the actual "making things work", and the shift/group lead is probably on the same level of the hierarchy as the engineers.
I'm sure there are exceptions out there, but literally every person I know with an engineering tech degree regrets not going for the full BS in engineering. The market is so flooded with engineers that they have a hard time competing as an engineering tech, even for jobs that were classically "technician" jobs; it's a HUGE limiting factor for both salary and job opportunities.

Exergy
Jul 21, 2011

grover posted:

The market is so flooded with engineers ...

Yeah, that's why I cannot find a good ME with experience for my team for a year already...

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

ole_bjorne posted:

Yeah, that's why I cannot find a good ME with experience for my team for a year already...

It's hard to find work at the entry level. It took me over a year to get my first engineering job. Now that I have some experience under my belt, looking for the next one has been MUCH easier.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

Traitorous Leopard posted:

I was joking.

I figured you might be - I intended the 'you' to be the generic 'you', for any who may not be joking about that attitude (and who I've seen a few of).

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

grover posted:

I'm sure there are exceptions out there, but literally every person I know with an engineering tech degree regrets not going for the full BS in engineering. The market is so flooded with engineers that they have a hard time competing as an engineering tech, even for jobs that were classically "technician" jobs; it's a HUGE limiting factor for both salary and job opportunities.

Regret's a pretty strong word, but would I prefer a BSME to what I have? Probably. But I actually regret not taking the FE exam more than I regret the T on the end of my degree. Everyone in my class who took it passed it easily, and it looks great on a resume.

evensevenone
May 12, 2001
Glass is a solid.

Vomik posted:

Those kind of managers tend to be people that know everything about their little kingdom, and think that therefor they know everything about everything, and end up being really reluctant to change or take any lessons from the outside world.

And yes, the "when I started here in 1972" stories do get obnoxious.

The Experiment
Dec 12, 2010

Speaking of engineering techs, what have you all heard about people with engineering degrees taking up tech jobs?

I'm not one of these people but tech positions at my company these days are getting filled by fresh graduates with ABET accredited engineering degrees. I was just curious how these people fare in the long term. I understand times are tough and it is 10x better to take a tech job than nothing. Hell, since techs get overtime, a lot of them make more money than I do. I'm just wondering if these people could qualify to get PEs and whatnot as engineering techs. The attitude from what I picked up seems to be that the longer you're a tech, the harder the chance it is to move on or up as an engineer.

Edit: The reason I brought it up was the tech discussion here and that I noticed that tech jobs are being filled by engineers. Maybe the market is bad but it would be too bad for these people if they couldn't be an engineer 5-10 years down the road because they were a tech to start off with.

The Experiment fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Nov 21, 2011

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010
Does anyone with a Mech E even get a P.E.? The only ones I know are professors.

T.H.E. Rock
Sep 13, 2007
;)
A big construction firm I interviewed at said they required MEs to eventually get a PE.

I'm kind of surprised that companies would hire engineers for tech jobs. Personally, I'd be looking to leave as soon as an engineering position came up/I could tick the "1 year experience" box, and I assume most other recent graduates would feel the same way.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

T.H.E. Rock posted:

I'm kind of surprised that companies would hire engineers for tech jobs. Personally, I'd be looking to leave as soon as an engineering position came up/I could tick the "1 year experience" box, and I assume most other recent graduates would feel the same way.

I'm curious, what kind of technician's jobs are we talking about here? I've only worked in the world of startups, where everyone has to do a bit of everything.

fishhooked
Nov 14, 2006
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Nap Ghost

Lord Gaga posted:

I have three close friends with M.E. degrees and only one is going for their PE. He is with a design firm doing HVAC and other air exchange stuff for architects. The other two are in oil and gas and roll around in money all day.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

The Experiment posted:

Speaking of engineering techs, what have you all heard about people with engineering degrees taking up tech jobs?
In many fields, there's not a whole lot of difference in what engineers and engineering techs do. Especially for fields where an engineer's stamp is not required, and there's no real distinction beyond personal capability. The biggest difference is in upward mobility; techs have a much harder time getting promoted, and often bitterly watch less experienced (and arguably less qualified) engineers get promoted over them.

grover fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Nov 22, 2011

movax
Aug 30, 2008

CCKeane posted:

It's hard to find work at the entry level. It took me over a year to get my first engineering job. Now that I have some experience under my belt, looking for the next one has been MUCH easier.

Man, I am really thankful for my co-op program now. None of my classmates have had issues picking up jobs, mostly because they have ~2.5yrs of experience upon entering the market.

Now whether that experience was actually worthwhile / taught them anything is left as an exercise for the reader...

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Lord Gaga posted:

I interned at a fire protection consulting firm which requires PEs (eventually) if you worked there full time. Most were ME grads but the PE was for Fire Protection Engineering. So, sort of.

Sutureself
Sep 23, 2007

Well, here's my answer...
I had a Materials professor (not an engineer, but close?) who did expert testimony on cases where things failed and people got seriously seriously hurt. I think you need to be licensed to do that, and he made it seem both interesting and lucrative. It was very Phoenix Wright, the way he described it. One of these days I want to get a PE so I can solve mysteries in the courtroom.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

movax posted:

Man, I am really thankful for my co-op program now. None of my classmates have had issues picking up jobs, mostly because they have ~2.5yrs of experience upon entering the market.

Now whether that experience was actually worthwhile / taught them anything is left as an exercise for the reader...

Yeah, pretty much the single biggest piece of advice for engineering undergrads is find a co-op or internship (or research position) while you're in the school, and the earlier the better. I had a hell of a time finding a job after I graduated and eventually opted to get my MS in the meantime.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
my MET program require diffEQ, work co-ops, etc. our senior design project was more involved too. The big differences were that we had more lab classes and the classes were a little dumbed down. The derivation for formulas were explained but we generally only had to plug/chug with the base formulas.

edit: currently design tooling for capital equipment assembly.

edit2: also passed the FE, though I agree that there is generally a stigma attached to the programs.

Molybdenum fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 22, 2011

Phlegmbot
Jun 4, 2006

"a phlegmatic...and certainly undemonstrative [robot]"
A scene from my old engineering student bar. I stopped by recently because it has the cheapest beer around.

Some things never change!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

You lie. Girls like that are never seen around Engineers!