Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
40 OZ
May 16, 2003

kaujot posted:

If you wanna watch Justin Wong gently caress around in training mode, here's his stream: http://www.twitch.tv/eg_jwong

He's also answering chat questions.

Oh my god you have no idea how much better i feel about myself after watching justin wong swear at and struggle with challenge mode combos :twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Wong's not well known for his execution. His skills lie in other places.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Can someone explain how Doctor Doom's Hidden Missiles assist OTG's? Will it actually pick people off the ground if you time it right?

It occurred to me that he would make an awesome teammate for Phoenix Wright because Hidden Missiles can zone, stuff teleporters, and extend combos. I've never actually played Doom seriously, though.

Wright's basic Investigation BNB outside of the corner is magic series, air magic series, Maya M OR Stance Chance (Trial) xx Order in the Court if you don't have an OTG assist. Technically, you can relaunch after Maya M in the corner--realistically, Phoenix will not be cornering anyone in Investigation Mode.

If Hidden Missiles works the way I think it works, you could perhaps do something like this?

If you had three pieces of evidence you could hit the objection immediately upon the missiles hitting and do a turnabout combo.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
What are some good Dante BnB's with his tougher timing now? I can't seem to get his jump loop going. His ground pound always seems to be out of range.

Micgael
Aug 8, 2007

"Gimme a kiss."
So I just noticed Wily is in Dormammu's ending. Has he always been there or is that new to Ultimate?

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
So if anyone uses Haggar/Frank like I do, turns out one mashed out Rapid Fire Fist can lead to instant level 5 Frank:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyGr4oDUGGk

There's gotta be a few other supers that let you do this but this one works really well because Lariat lets you follow up really easily after the first camera.

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming
Strange is unquestionably good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMGWSXazUik

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Niddhogg posted:

Strange is unquestionably good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMGWSXazUik

This is my new favorite video.

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming
All that + the best level 1 super in the game.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

While we're posting videos, here's some interesting Nova stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zSwFNun92k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhdRv6Eah7s

I would've never figured out that hard knockdown bit, that's awesome. I think I might have Nova/Frank/Spencer set for a B team.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Niddhogg posted:

All that + the best level 1 super in the game.

Dr. Strange anchor is Spencer levels of good because of spell of vishanti and he has one of the best beam assists in the game. Doc Strange circlejerk go!!

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
I'm now one and fifteen online in ranked. You guys talk about how bad online is but no one online drops a combo against me. Ugh. Everyone I play online is amazing at this game. My only win was against another guy who had never won before - and I destroyed him. There are very large skill tiers here.

Ugh, I've never had a "I need to walk away and not look at this game for a week" game. I understand salty.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Skychrono posted:

I'm now one and fifteen online in ranked. You guys talk about how bad online is but no one online drops a combo against me. Ugh. Everyone I play online is amazing at this game. My only win was against another guy who had never won before - and I destroyed him. There are very large skill tiers here.

Ugh, I've never had a "I need to walk away and not look at this game for a week" game. I understand salty.

Remember that ranks are reset, so all those losses you are getting are probably from high-ranking online players. Maybe you should try fighting some people you know, get a chance to improve your game if the online losses are getting you that salty.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

TaurusOxford posted:

Remember that ranks are reset, so all those losses you are getting are probably from high-ranking online players. Maybe you should try fighting some people you know, get a chance to improve your game if the online losses are getting you that salty.

Yeah, you're definitely right. Ranks will stabilize one day.

As for friends, I can beat them pretty reliably. It just seems like 90% of online players are savants.

Toilet.Duck
Jul 13, 2006
Cleanest ever!
The problem with Ironfist combos is that writing them down is a major pain the rear end with 8 qcf+x to choose from and being able to chain 3 at a time, so I'm going with the srk forums idea of using street fighter normals instead (i.e qcf+L = LP, qcb+H = HK, qcf+S = SP).

I've been working on a lot of combinations and these are the most useful ones I've figured out so far, feel free to fire off any questions and I'll try and answer what I can.

Basic Midscreen bnb
M,H xx LP,LK,MP, dp+L, H,f+H jM,jH,jS (really stagger these), b+H xx LK,HP, dp+whatever/Super

Corner bnb
M,H xx LP,LK,MP xx dp+L, H,c.H,f+H xx HP,LP,HP, MK,LK,HP xx super (SP if you want lvl3 instead of super x2)

you can use the jump cancel combo here but HP,LP,HP does more damage for less effort. You can end in SK to finish with MP xx super after the wall bounce to save meter

Corner Throw
MK,LK,SK, M,b+H xx LK,HP,SP xx super/lvl3

This one I found by accident as the M after the wall bounce from SK hits cross up and b+H turns you back around to the corner to let you get the rekkas into super, SP combos into level 3 even with the wallbounce already used up which owns and the whole thing even works on fatties and small chars.

I've been trying to work out how to squeeze more damage out of meterless midscreen combos and then best I can come up with is to end in SK after the crumple followup then wave dash in to b+H xx LK,HP,dp+whatever as the scaling is pretty high by this point.

Oh and if you want to get Ironfist out you can raw tag him after connecting any LP,MP crumple and you can even cancel the MP into powerup and still raw tag into a combo. Don't forget to use him as an assist as he's off cooldown straight away even though the combo can keep going with the tagged in char.

Toilet.Duck fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Nov 22, 2011

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Skychrono posted:

Yeah, you're definitely right. Ranks will stabilize one day.

As for friends, I can beat them pretty reliably. It just seems like 90% of online players are savants.

Then play against other goons online. I'm sure people like Niddhogg would be more than willing to kick your rear end help you out with some training. :v:

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming
Yeah if any of you are on xbox I'll go easy on you + tell you what you're doing wrong. (Saveyesh and BimodalToaster also play online and are better than me as well)

FauxCyclops
Feb 25, 2007

I'm the man who killed Hostess. Now, say my name.
I have awful intercontinental lag against American players but go nuts I'm FauxCyclops on XBL

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.

Elephunk posted:

Yes the online in this game is unplayable and terrible but that won't stop pages and pages of "oh man im top 100 win streaks on xbox live!!!", "what do i do against the pros using sentinel???" and other XBox related posts

but try to start a discussion about bnbs for the new characters and everyone ignores your post

I just do the bnb Yipes has been using, which is whatever into Stinger xx LP Dragon Punch, teleport down and superjump (some chars you can do it neutral which is easier, but only UF superjump works vs everyone) into MHS, st H, Stinger xx teleport, st H, S, M, H, down + H, DF H OTG into down teleport and go for resets or add on Maximum Vergil for ~700k total damage. If it is a character you really wanna kill you can also do whatever into Stinger, LP DP, teleport, SJ MHS, st H, Stinger xx Devil Trigger, M teleport, st H, S, M, H, down H, level 3 OTG for ~1.1 million.

If they are cornered from the S after the superjump that follows the LP Dragon Punch, you can do (instead of the st H into stinger): cr. H xx Swords, 2 or 3 reps of jumping down + H as low to the ground as possible, and then right as the swords ends you get the DF H OTG. Adding Maximum Vergil after that isn't worth it unless it will kill since you get a sick mixup off the teleport when they are cornered. You might have to add a LP hadouken before starting the jumping down + H loop with swords out, you can kinda eyeball it.

Doing all the combos with multiple of the MP Dragon Punch thing or using the charge move is really finicky in an actual match. I don't even bother trying round trip in a combo unless it's very early on.

Even a baby mode cr LMH, Stinger, teleport, LMH, MP DP, S, MHS, down H, OTG, Maximum Vergil does like 550k or something, so finding optimal combos for him is really just about whatever builds the most meter/gives the best position after since everyone dies in two combos. And of course, LANDING that initial hit to start a combo is what matters the most.

Aside from "oh I got a hit, go into bnb" combos that you get while teleporting arround with an assist or whatever, Vergil is mainly going to start most of his offense from a few scenarios. In casuals Yipes was anti-airing EVERYTHING with st L, M, xx LP DP into the bnb (but people flip out of it a lot, so probably remove the st H before the final launch after teleporting, and just do H, down H in the air). Aside from starting a combo off an anti-air, there are a few ghetto options. 1) Activate swords (preferably in a blockstring where you confirmed that Stinger was blocked, but just at random works too) and start being really active with teleporting/assists. 2) Activate swords after a knockdown and do the S hadouken thing, this costs an extra meter though so it generally sucks. 3) HP Dragon Punch thing, xx Swords or Devil Trigger. Again, ideally you are only doing the HP Dragon Punch off a blocked Stinger. You have FOREVER to combo the LP Dragon Punch off a hit Stinger (even if you do cr. L, cr. M, st. H before doing Stinger), so it should be pretty easy. Stinger hits? BNB. Didn't hit? Berserker Slash and cancel it into your super of choice. If you cancel it into Swords, you're basically in the same situation as scenario "1)" above or you can go right into jumping D+H loops sometimes. If you cancel the Berserk Slash into Devil Trigger, look to see how many hits you have during the super flash. If you have 3 hits of Berserker Slash, after Devil Trigger you can do Stinger, S, H, S into whatever air combo into the DF H OTG for the reset/Maximum Vergil (or Level 3 instead of the OTG if you're feeling saucy). If you have 4 hits of Berserker Slash when you cancel Devil Trigger, it's kinda harder to combo after, you can do H, S and continue air comboing vs. bigger characters. Against other people you can go into immediate MP Dragon Punch though and do a reset off the ground bounce. If your Berserker Slash is blocked, it's kind of a tossup which super is better. Devil Trigger lets you start airdashing around to initiate offense, but it's not nearly as good as Dante's. Devil Trigger also feels like it lasts way longer than Swords, so that's more time you're spending in a state of not being able to build meter. I like doing Swords after a blocked Berserker Slash, lets you probe for a hit pretty safely.

So in general Vergil seems a ton more complicated than he actually is. Once you get the timing down on superjump after cancelling teleport from the LP Dragon Punch, everything else is gravy. Get in (with a teleport while being covered by an assist, or with safe Swords approach, etc) and do a blockstring that ends in Stinger. Stinger hit? Cancel into LP Dragon Punch and BNB. Stinger blocked? Cancel into Swords, or Berserker Slash. Berserker Slash hit? Cancel into Devil Trigger and BNB. Berserker Slash blocked? Cancel into Swords and go back to trying to get in. Getting attacked? AA with jab...or be really good at blocking. He dies so fast...

As far as team synergy, Yipes was using him first and every single person in the world let him Down + S aerial exchange into Dante. Vergil thrives with lots of meter to play with, it takes all his generally unsafe crap and turns it into completely free pressure. I like him second after someone who builds a shitload of meter (Wesker or Ghost Rider), and basically any kind of assist that works with a teleport is going to be good. As far as worrying about assists to continue Vergil combos...meh. His combos do 700k anyway, so getting to that extra 800k at the risk of having a weirdo anchor like Deadpool isn't worth it.

Hopefully this helps, I hate this game but I've watched a lot of Yipes playing Vergil so I thought I would chime in. I'm currently using Ghost Rider/Vergil/Doom, and it works pretty well. Oh yeah, use Berserker Slash for Vergil's assist, it's really great for a Wesker or Ghost Rider starter.

Chocolate America
Nov 5, 2008

by garbage day

blue font posted:

I've been trying to pick up X23, for better or worse. I mostly play online and sometimes it seems drat near impossible to land any of her feint combos with any kind of lag present.

How exactly does her OTG into assist work? I've seen people end a magic series with a L talon dive, call cold star assist after landing, and then using her OTG ankle slice to pop a grounded opponent into the assist. When I land after the talon dive, though, it seems like there's a long delay before I'm able to call an assist, not giving me enough time to charge up ankle slice before the opponent gets up. NOt sure if there's some basic timing or part of her strings that I'm missing there.

You actually need to use another character with an OTG assist, call that assist and then immediately charge Neck Slice. The OTG assist will pop them up into the Neck Slice and then do s.HS into another air combo ending with L Talon, then do the Ankle Slice OTG canceled into Rage Trigger.

Chocolate America fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Nov 22, 2011

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Justin is playing Floe and Yipes on his stream now: http://www.twitch.tv/eg_jwong

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!
So I played a couple matches online (the lag really is terrible) and I'm enjoying my Frank/Dante/Doom team (affectionately nicknamed "The Fruit Bowl" for its citrus-shaded costumes). Only problem is, I'm having a lot of trouble getting in with level 1 Frank. After I get some shots, I can use the CvS roll to dodge my way in, but until I can get a combo in I get zoned out by pretty much everything. Should I teleport in with Dante then TAC into Frank?

Also, re:stream, I'm happy a big-name player like Jwong is using Iron Fist. I love the character's style and it would be a shame if he were left by the wayside for not having an air game.

Groghammer fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Nov 22, 2011

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Whatever Doom assist you've got should be at least a decent help at getting Frank in, which one are you using?

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!
Hidden Missiles for the OTG. They work, but Doom takes forever to get them out and he gets caught by beam supers, etc.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*
Use beam assist imo. Frank has otgs plus you can snap a photo whenever a random beam assist lands for 9 pp :shobon:

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Why don't you use Doom's beam assist to let you cover your horizontal approach? It seems it would serve you better to cover that weakness if you start Frank. Then do that dumb team hyper combo that gives you instant level 5 as Frank that NerdJosh uses.

Beaten and such

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

The issue with the THC stuff is getting two bars-Frank's BnB doesn't give enough meter to get the THC out at the start of a match and once it begins it's a lot harder to start one. But if there's some way around it I'll use the beam or switch Doom out for Hawkeye (3x arrows) or Sent (drones).

Edit: Oh, that's what NJ did

Groghammer fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Nov 22, 2011

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
The combo NerdJosh was doing day one was getting him the bar necessary to do the team hyper combo with Dante by himself at the start of the match if I remember correctly. But then again I can't really speak to personal experience. You should look to refining your solo combos if that is the case though.

Groghammer
Aug 10, 2011

Couldn't find the NerdJosh combo but this one could do the trick. Replacing Spencer's assist with Dante's should be easy.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I have the loose framework of a team but I need some input on the second character and which assists would go good together. Right now I have Ghost Rider as the opener and Nemesis as the anchor and that's pretty much set in stone but I'm not sure for the rest of it.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Unlucky posted:

I have the loose framework of a team but I need some input on the second character and which assists would go good together. Right now I have Ghost Rider as the opener and Nemesis as the anchor and that's pretty much set in stone but I'm not sure for the rest of it.

Sentinel.

Chocolate America
Nov 5, 2008

by garbage day

Mr. Unlucky posted:

Nemesis seems like a bad anchor to me. How are you playing him in that role?

Also my suggestion or your second slot is Doom with Plasma Beam assist. He goes on every team.

edit: Yeah Sentinel with Drones is a good idea too.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Sentinel probably makes a stronger anchor than Nemesis too so maybe do GR/Nemesis/Sent.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Countblanc posted:

Sentinel probably makes a stronger anchor than Nemesis too so maybe do GR/Nemesis/Sent.

This guy's right, play this team.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
I think I have to drop Nemesis from any teams. Seriously every time you run into an Ammy, Rocket, Arthur or V.Joe it's like you have one character that can't even deal damage.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
Hum, it seems like 90% of the matches I play against involve Wesker. On the bright side, when I am getting comboed for about ten million years I can eat lunch while I wait to get out of the loop.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Wesker's combos are actually pretty short compared to a lot of the other vanilla high tiers.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Yeah, if you think Wesker combos take ten million years, the universe could live out multiple lifetimes in the duration of Dante's or even Zero's combos.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW

Broken Loose posted:

Yeah, if you think Wesker combos take ten million years, the universe could live out multiple lifetimes in the duration of Dante's or even Zero's combos.

Ya know, I never really see those guys. It's often Wesker/Virginal/and Nova.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I think out of all the characters that i loathed going up against in vanilla, Wesker to me was worse than Wolverine. Can't wait to get this game and fight buffed weskers.

Question, can people still do Wesker's Pistol shot teleport X-Factor lvl 3 spam like an rear end in a top hat?

• Locked thread