Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

hell yes

hell loving yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Wow. We just witnessed a Brobot AI rebellion. This is probably the most out-of-left-field thing to have happened yet.

Mr. D Bewildering
Mar 24, 2010

8^y
It almost looks like somebody could assemble a somewhat accurate sprite of D___ Strider now that we see his clothing, his outline, and the fact that he probably has a face very similar to Dave's.

And then watch all of that end up being a red herring.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Mr. D Bewildering posted:

I think it might be a very, very early cameo from ____ Lalonde

I also think I'm possibly wrong and missed the point.

It's just a reference to poorly written/typed internet walkthroughs. More than one person can make typos.

damn chimera
Jan 31, 2007

EMERGENCY
EMERGENCY
EMERGENCY
Square! Where's Sawtooth though?

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=002212

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Sawtooth is maybe the brobot in Jake's house?

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Regy Rusty posted:

TT: Maybe he should just rip his heart out of his chest and pound it into green gravel there in the jungle with his hella strong robot arm.

So, Jake was given an Aradiabot?

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Ominous Jazz posted:

So, Jake was given an Aradiabot?

More like a Callbackbot. Remember that that line was originally spoken by Vriska.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I'm not even being a little bit hyperbolic any more, the shades really are the Best New Character.

I eagerly await the next installment of Brose.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Holy poo poo this is the best loving poo poo yet.

I'm a little reminded of Davesprite seeming rankled about not being considered the 'real' Dave.

I also think Bro is going to spend the entire session in the shower. The Auto-Responder will play the game in his place.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Oh man I never thought Bro's sunglasses would turn into the best new character. Bro himself must work real loving hard to outclass his own autoresponder. I am enamored with the autoresponder's sublime brose.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

This is now a sad page.

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

Love? Justice? Pah! I'll crush them all!
The dynamic between Bro's shades and Jake really reminds me of... Karkat's conversations with Jade.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Man, I wonder if maybe Bro's dead and his robots are going to take his place?

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em
Yesssss more rap dude.

I was going for Spades in Alkinator and one of the questions was "Is your character an excellent host?"

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Dolash posted:

Man, I wonder if maybe Bro's dead and his robots are going to take his place?

I was thinking he's already dead or he assimilated with the bots he makes and is actually Cal.

I don't know where I was going with this

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Boneless Jogger posted:

Oh poo poo, Sawtooth and Squarewave actually playing a role in an MSPaint Adventure! This is all I've ever wanted. :allears:

Can someone explain what these words are

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

The robot here is seen on a poster in Dave's room here. The one we're looking at is Square, and the other robot is Sawtooth. They also exist in an art print on the Whatpumpkin website, by Supercar Gautier. It was my desktop for a month straight.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Sawtooth and Squarewave were, if I recall, one of the original ideas for the Homestuck soundtrack - a bunch of fake bands with distinct styles. The Midnight Crew, Felt and Mobius Trip and Hadron Kaleido albums were the result of the original idea, but Sawtooth and Squarewave (the bot in the bathroom) and their Rapocalypse didn't really happen.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Cheers, all. I love them. I love them.

standard owl
Jan 9, 2011

Poor Autoresponder and his deep human feelings, he's pretty much this timeline's Davesprite already :smith:

Though I'm not sure how to feel about Hussie using unwanted homosexually-inclined :roboluv: advances as a way to characterize Bro? There was a lot of that sort of thing with the trolls, but they're an entirely different culture and all that. I guess I'll wait and see if he'll deal with it in a way that's not just "queer (human) character creeps on straight one WHOA!!" Even knowing that basically all the characters are awkward adolescents and pretty bad at dealing with their emotions in some way or another, it still leaves me wary.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ograbme posted:

Yesssss more rap dude.

I was going for Spades in Alkinator and one of the questions was "Is your character an excellent host?"

Akinator inspires a creeping dread in me that I can't fully describe.

That loving genie stares at me. Judges me.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I just came here to say....

I loving love the auto-responder.

I almost don't want anybody to actually be able to talk to Bro at all, they just keep getting the auto-responder.

And yes I have said this twice now, it is a statement that deserves being said twice now.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
There is no Bro; merely the Auto-Responder's incomplete robot body.

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

Being an AI would be a pretty significant personal challenge for a Heart player, and Sburb does like to challenge its players... I like it.

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004

Android Blues posted:

This is really dumb and a common complaint about homosexuality in media. You realise there's a bunch of straight characters who talk about kissing each other all the time in the comic already, right? There's this assumption that heterosexuality can be innocent and romantic, but homosexuality is a PG-13 thing - which is really just entirely wrong.

I mean, that apart from the ridiculousness of the complaint based on what's been in the comic already. Do you not remember when Dave was telling Tavros that he'd lucked out on as much pubescent boy dick as he could handle, and talking about his "naked spam porpoise"?

That's kind of academic though, because honestly saying homosexuality is overtly sexual but giving straight romance a pass is just duuuuuuumb and super wrong and I think that needs to be driven home.

I had forgotten to mention this, but thanks for this exposition*. I really did view heteronormative relationships as G and homonormative relationships aa PG-13 or greater, which is not a realistically reasonable point of view. I can't honestly say how I'll end up feeling, but thanks for giving me something to think about

*that is totally not the right word. What word am I looking for here?

Cyrai fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Nov 22, 2011

Gizmotinker
Oct 31, 2011

WILL COACH 4 RARES

Great at giving unsolicited bad advice in the Dota2 thread without having a public profile! You see, it's his shitty teammates that hold him back; he wouldn't want you thinking it's him.

His posts make it sound like he's playing a different game. Seriously.

standard owl posted:

Poor Autoresponder and his deep human feelings, he's pretty much this timeline's Davesprite already :smith:

Everybody forgot in a hurry about Rose Davesprite had to leave behind.

Idunn
Apr 30, 2011

That's it?
I really think Bro is Hero of Void.

Supercar Gautier posted:

I approve of the idea that Bro is gay for Jake, because it would mean that all of Jake's friends are crushing on him.

This is from a few pages back, but I think it's important. Given the huge amount of parallels the new session has for the old, I wasn't thinking about troll parallels, but now that I do it seems pretty blatant:

Jane, Mom, and possibly Bro have a crush on Jake -- parallels with Eridan having a crush on everyone else.
Jane is an heiress -- parallels pretty obviously with Feferi being a princess.
Mom seems to love cats -- parallels Nepeta?
Bro makes robots -- parallels Equius? (Also ponies vs muscular hoofbeasts)

Of course, if this is true, it means Mom goes dark sometimes for reasons other than her Void powers. I think it has to do with Rose. Mom seemed to work at the lab that made Sburb and probably knew some of what was going on. Rose has likely learned things too, only uses magic instead and goes grimdark again.

Idunn fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Nov 22, 2011

marsattacks
Apr 2, 2011

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I just came here to say....

I loving love the auto-responder.

I almost don't want anybody to actually be able to talk to Bro at all, they just keep getting the auto-responder.

And yes I have said this twice now, it is a statement that deserves being said twice now.

It really is.

quote:

TT: It seems there is a 76.10395784% chance you are pussying out on me. Are you pussying out on me, Jake?

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Dizz posted:

I was thinking he's already dead or he assimilated with the bots he makes and is actually Cal.

I don't know where I was going with this

Bro died in the shower months ago, now he's just haunting his various computers and robots Aradia-style.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
I believe it. I am curious though how this is going to play out if the autoresponder is going to count as an actual 5th character.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Talorat posted:

I believe it. I am curious though how this is going to play out if the autoresponder is going to count as an actual 5th character.
Kinda like how Davesprite was a 5th character.

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011
Maybe Bro will just use his Auto-responder to start every conversation, and only intervene if the conversation needs the real him, if it ever does at all. Oh, and when/if he does type, he makes it look like the auto-responder is typing.

I don't know why I like this idea, but I do. Of course, whatever Hussie does with Bro will be gold, I at least feel assured on that.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Oh hey, side note. On the about page of MS Paint adventures Hussie says that he started doing the ms paint adventures originally on "an online forum." Was SA that forum? I vaguely remember an MS paint CYOA with an art and humor style that was very similar to Hussie's several years ago.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
I believe it was the Penny Arcade forums.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style
It was on what are now the MSPA forums, then known as the Gangbunch forums. Basically a place where Hussie and some of his friends (who all met via the PA forums) hung out and I guess talked about his earlier comics like TSO.

The original Jailbreak thread still exists there.

Walliard fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Nov 22, 2011

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

I want the first person to successfully contact and have a conversation with the real Bro Strider while we watch to be his own auto responder. Wana see them argue or something.

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."
Well to complete the Dave / Davesprite parallels, hopefully bro will prototype his sprite with his autoresponder to make Brosprite

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
And all those best character points Jake had just went straight out the window. Getting trolled into the ground by a jumped up chatbot, honestly.

Ice_Mallet posted:

Maybe Bro will just use his Auto-responder to start every conversation, and only intervene if the conversation needs the real him, if it ever does at all. Oh, and when/if he does type, he makes it look like the auto-responder is typing.

I don't know why I like this idea, but I do. Of course, whatever Hussie does with Bro will be gold, I at least feel assured on that.

It's cool because it would basically mean that we'd have one of the kids deliberately trolling/mildly antagonising another. Also that guilt trip was pretty masterful conversation forcing, not that Jake wasn't still a chump to fall for it.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Nov 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

It's motherfucking ~square~ ~wave~ that is incredible and the best :buddy: