Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Smiley! posted:

After recently watching It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World and Gandhi, I'm curious- what was the last/most recent movie released to have an intermission?

If you saw Grindhouse as God intended, it had an intermission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Smiley! posted:

After recently watching It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World and Gandhi, I'm curious- what was the last/most recent movie released to have an intermission?
King Kong. But I saw it in Belgium and I'm pretty sure my friends who saw it back in Sweden said it didn't have one.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Waroduce posted:

Should I go see J. Edgar? I love historical pieces and dramas.

No. It's pointless.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

penismightier posted:

Probably Che. I don't know if that went wide, though, so... Gettysburg?

I'm not sure if this was an official thing or not but when I went and saw Titanic during the original run the theater I was at did an intermission.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Toy Story 1 & 2 in 3d had an intermission but I don't know if that counts since it's two separate movies even if they are on one ticket.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
Any movie over a certain length (I think the maximum is about 2h45m) will have an intermission available, simply because 35mmm theaters with only one projector and no plattersystem would not be able to run the entire length over one assembled reel.

Whether the director has a say on when and how the intermission works or it's simply one of convenience, that's a different matter entirely.

Smiley!
Dec 7, 2009

The Picard Maneuver
:tipshat: for all the quick responses/info. I did see Grindhouse on its opening weekend, and it completely slipped my mind. The fact that it was split up for audiences outside the US may have clouded my memory, though.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Grindhouse may not quite fit since the "intermission" is part of the entertainment. It's hard to say.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Godfather originally had an intermission between the restaurant scene and the newspaper montage, but Coppola took it out.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

SubG posted:

Not intentionally; I'm pretty sure Barris is serious, just loopy.

I've met him, I'm pretty sure he was in a REALLY dark place when he wrote it but it was just dark comedy. He also said he went to U Penn instead of Drexel and I called him out on it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Mouser.. posted:

It's from the commentary that he did with John Milius on the Conan the Barbarian DVD. It's hilarious with the way Arnold and John sounds so lecherous when they talking about the women. It's also clear that Arnold was really enjoying himself reminiscing on the film. I personally love commentaries like this. Check out the one that Arnold did with Paul Verhoeven for Total Recall as well. Kurt Russell and John Carpenter did some great ones too, just less sex talk.

Anyways, here's the clips you are looking for:

Arnold Schwarzenegger and John Milius on Conan The Barbarian

Is it on the double sided disk version? As that's the one I have. I do also have Total Recall one. Arnold laughing at the three breasted hooker getting shot is a classic.

Mr_Zombie posted:

Huh, I read that same article and was surprised they didn't seem to approach it from the angle of it being an interesting failure. If I'm remembering it right they even talk about how the villain coming to the real world and being faced with withered hookers didn't jibe with the light hearted approach they took earlier. I always thought that was the point and it worked well in the context of the movie. Sure, it's a little bit smug, but it's a popcorn movie ripping the piss out of popcorn movies. In the 90's.

The thing is, I don't think anyone really needed to be told these movies were silly and over the top. And yea, the Villain coming into the real world was by far the best part of the movie. I think if they had concentrated on the fictional characters in the real world, rather than annoying kid telling everyone all the cliches as reverence, and Arnold doing back flips down Mulhulland (I think).

Speaking of Grindhouse, is there versions with the missing footage? I thought it was on the Dvd/bluray, but i've scoured the disk and come up with nothing.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

Is it on the double sided disk version? As that's the one I have. I do also have Total Recall one. Arnold laughing at the three breasted hooker getting shot is a classic.

This is amazing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ncR2_pnzngM

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

twistedmentat posted:

The thing is, I don't think anyone really needed to be told these movies were silly and over the top. And yea, the Villain coming into the real world was by far the best part of the movie. I think if they had concentrated on the fictional characters in the real world, rather than annoying kid telling everyone all the cliches as reverence, and Arnold doing back flips down Mulhulland (I think).

Speaking of Grindhouse, is there versions with the missing footage? I thought it was on the Dvd/bluray, but i've scoured the disk and come up with nothing.
The extended version of Death Proof has the lap-dance scene, but the extended version of Planet Terror just has a few extra scenes. The "missing reel" was never actually filmed.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Pablo Gigante posted:

The extended version of Death Proof has the lap-dance scene, but the extended version of Planet Terror just has a few extra scenes. The "missing reel" was never actually filmed.

Are those the stand alone ones or the double feature release?

A coworker told me Expendables had 2 stuntmen die on the set. What other films have had people die during the filming? I know about Twilight Zone and the Crow, but i'm sure there have been other deaths caused by accidents with effects and students.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

twistedmentat posted:

A coworker told me Expendables had 2 stuntmen die on the set. What other films have had people die during the filming? I know about Twilight Zone and the Crow, but i'm sure there have been other deaths caused by accidents with effects and students.

Michael Curtiz decided to use extras instead of stuntmen for the flood scene in his Noah's Ark.

3 people died, one lost his leg, 38 ambulances were called.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

twistedmentat posted:

I believe Dark Knight had a stunt man die

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

twistedmentat posted:

A welder died on Spider-Man.

Edit: A Shark ate a stuntman on Sam Fuller's Shark!

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

NeuroticErotica posted:

A welder died on Spider-Man.

Edit: A Shark ate a stuntman on Sam Fuller's Shark!

Have you seen this? I hear it's awful, but the phrase "Sam Fuller and Burt Reynolds present: Shark!" is very hard to resist.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

twistedmentat posted:

John Jordan (the second unit director) got sucked out of a plan during the filming of Catch-22 (1970).

One of the camera planes used for the filming of Top Gun (1986) crashed, killing pilot Art Scholl.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

penismightier posted:

Have you seen this? I hear it's awful, but the phrase "Sam Fuller and Burt Reynolds present: Shark!" is very hard to resist.

Yeah. It's not that great, but it's not terrible, it's just got a boring middle that goes on far too long, and they reuse footage of sharks.

It's still one of the better 70's Sharksploitation films.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
H.B. Halicki, director of the original Gone in 60 Seconds, died when he was crushed by a telephone pole while filming Gone in 60 Seconds 2.

The Dark Knight thing wasn't a stuntman but a SFX technician trying to figure out how they'd film a scene with the Batmobile. He was in the camera vehicle when it crashed.

Not a film, but Jon-Erik Hexum put a gun loaded with blanks to his head and pulled the trigger while on set for some TV show. The wadding of the blank blew a piece of skull into his brain and killed him.

I'm sure there are tons of film-related deaths way back in the early days, when safety regulations weren't so prominent.

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
What are some good online resources for film appreciation/education?

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Detective Thompson posted:

I'm sure there are tons of film-related deaths way back in the early days, when safety regulations weren't so prominent.

There's a bit near the end of Metropolis with a bunch of people where they literally flooded the studio and killed a bunch of the extras. Unless I'm totally bullshitting, I swear that was a thing.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Szmitten posted:

There's a bit near the end of Metropolis with a bunch of people where they literally flooded the studio and killed a bunch of the extras. Unless I'm totally bullshitting, I swear that was a thing.

I think you're thinking of Noah's Ark the film Pen is Mightier mentioned not Metropolis.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !
A stuntman died on xXx during the filming of the river chase scenes. It's been years since I saw it and listened to the commentary but I think he crashed into a bridge.

Fake edit : According to Wikipedia, it was Diesel's stunt double. I'll quote :
" in a scene in which he was supposed to rappel down a parasailing line and land on a submarine. When O'Connor failed to rappel down the line fast enough, he hit a bridge at high speed and was killed instantly. His death was caught on film, and director Rob Cohen decided to include the footage of the scene with the final moments edited out — out of respect for the stuntman's final act."

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

cloudchamber posted:

I think you're thinking of Noah's Ark the film Pen is Mightier mentioned not Metropolis.

This is correct. Three allegedly died, plus a lot injured. John Wayne and Andy Devine were among the extras in those scenes.

Michael Curtiz was an rear end in a top hat. Hundreds of horses died during the making of The Charge of the Light Brigade and he had real arrows shot on the set of The Adventures of Robin Hood.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Nov 23, 2011

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Egbert Souse posted:

This is correct. Three allegedly died, plus a lot injured. John Wayne and Andy Devine were among the extras in those scenes.

Michael Curtiz was an rear end in a top hat. Hundreds of horses died during the making of The Charge of the Light Brigade and he had real arrows shot on the set of The Adventures of Robin Hood.

But... but... I love the Adventures of Robin Hood!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

According to legend The Conqueror caused a bunch of people to get cancer.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
Didn't a shitload of people have horrible health problems and eventually die after filming Tarkovsky's Stalker? Wikipedia has a quote from the sound designer stating that they were downstream from a half-broken Soviet power plant that was dumping waste into the river.

number one pta fan
Sep 6, 2011

my work is my play play
every day pay day

JayMax posted:

What are some good online resources for film appreciation/education?

David Bordwell's blog. One of the authors of one of the definitive film textbooks.

http://filmstudiesforfree.blogspot.com/ is pretty exceptional but it's a random collection of resources, you can't really read it like a book and it's not got much in the way of organisation.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Egbert Souse posted:

There were a lot of rear end in a top hat directors back then. My favorite story is when Cecil B. DeMille fired Victor Mature for refusing to wrestle a lion.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

The Conqueror shot on sands exposed to fallout for nuclear experiments and lead to many cast and crew getting cancer later... including John Wayne, Susan Hayward and Dick Powell.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

NeuroticErotica posted:

The Conqueror shot on sands exposed to fallout for nuclear experiments and lead to many cast and crew getting cancer later... including John Wayne, Susan Hayward and Dick Powell.

I mentioned that on this page

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
I'm a huge fan of massive extra documentaries on dvds(think the invidual docs on alien quadrilogy box, the thing doc, invidual docs on each batman movie(the old ones) … so my question is that what dvds have the best and most deep making of documentaries that talk about every little detail about the process(once again like the alien docs) ?? And i dont mean commentary tracks

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

TheCool69 posted:

I'm a huge fan of massive extra documentaries on dvds(think the invidual docs on alien quadrilogy box, the thing doc, invidual docs on each batman movie(the old ones) … so my question is that what dvds have the best and most deep making of documentaries that talk about every little detail about the process(once again like the alien docs) ?? And i dont mean commentary tracks

Check out "The Hamster Factor" on the 12 Monkeys DVD, "The Beginning: Making Episode I" on The Phantom Menace dvd and the docu on The Magnolia dvd, all of them fantastic looks at the filmmaking process, albeit on very different types of productions.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

TheCool69 posted:

Another on is Lost in La Mancha, which is a documentary on how God hates Terry Gilliam.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

TheCool69 posted:

The Shining has a behind-the-scenes documentary shot by Stanley Kubrick's daughter that is pretty good.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Rob Zombie's Halloween. It's nearly twice as long as the movie itself.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Dangerous Days, on the recent special editions of Blade Runner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

TheCool69 posted:

The Dawn of the Dead deluxe special edition has two feature-length making of documentaries, one made at the same time as the movie and one for the DVD. It also has three separate cuts of the film.

Edit: Also, "Never Sleep Again" is a four-hour long documentary that covers every Nightmare on Elm Street movie in startling depth.