Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

How does that change anything right now? He can't buy a phone from Sprint right now that has ICS. And we all know how terrible of an idea it is to buy a phone on the promise of an Android update.
Why wouldn't they? With how long it takes for updates to be rolled out and the lineup of phones from CES to hit the market, ICS won't be on the majority of Android phones until next summer at the earliest.

Yes this.

Also....I know rooting phones isn't hard, but I just don't want to bother with it anymore. I actually like what I see from Apple how they have a pretty set release schedule and you can get the update the day/week of the announcement.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Nov 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scarymonkey
Jul 15, 2003

by angerbeet
Honestly my device is already running a CM7 ICS theme with Launcher Pro Plus and Roboto font. Other than that there's nothing I'm clamoring for that I must have in ICS. I care more about ICS for my hacked tablets running Gingerbread so I can finally run some tablet optimized apps.

The faster browser/JS in ICS is nice, but I run Opera Mobile anyways. And for multi tasking switching there's great 3rd party apps that I actually prefer.

I've been running CM7 for about a year on my EVO, it's pretty much perfect. Visual Voice Mail, 3G/4G tethering, GPS locks within 5 seconds, Percentage Battery Bar, Very Speedy, OpenVPN Client, just to name a few things. Once you're happy with a particular setup there's actually very little reason to update to a new ROM. I like the fact with a rooted Android device updates happen on your schedule and if you're the type that likes to try a new ROM every week (I don't, I update very rarely, why fix something when it's not broken) things like Titanium backup and ClockWork Recovery make backing up/restoring your apps/settings a breeze. With a jailbroken iPhone it's a constant cat and mouse game as every little forced update breaks the jailbreak.

I'm also spoiled by the bigger screen available on some Android devices, whenever I have to use an iPhone screen my fingers feel cramped.

Another advantage of an Android device is the replaceable battery and expandable microSDHC storage. Sometimes I'm in long trip it's nice to be able to pop in a new battery when I start running low. New Android devices are even compatible with 64GB microSDXC cards.

For suggestions on Apps/Games we have threads for both.

Here's an HTML file with links to some Android Games/Apps I found interesting (no emulators in the list but there's crapload of those too, I can run a n64 emulator pretty much full speed and play with a PS3 joystick via BlueTooth):
http://www.filedropper.com/androidbookmarks112111

scarymonkey fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Nov 22, 2011

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Mahoning posted:

I still have the original EVO that I got 2 weeks before launch, I'm really getting sick of it. How many people have gone from Android in general or the EVO specifically to an iPhone 4S?

If you have, what's the verdict? What do you like/dislike?

I can sell my EVO back to Sprint for $90 so basically I can get a 4S for $110.

Should I do it? I'm just no longer impressed/infatuated with Android as I think it has gone about as far as its gonna go for the next year, Ice Cream Sandwich notwithstanding.

I went from the EVO (Hero before that) to the iPhone 4S. I am a Android fan who loves rooting and flashing. On my family plan I still have my EVO, a EVO Shift, Epic, and the EVO 3D.

You want my verdict? Can I be honest without this turning into a flame war? Because I find iOS and the iPhone 4S to be superior in almost every way. iOS feels so polished in comparison to Android. It is hard to explain, but the whole eco-system of iOS is just better. Everything just flows so much better.

I am open minded, and will be when I make a decision next year on a new phone. Still the early leader is for me to stay on the iPhone. Every time I use the EVO 3D I realize how much I don't miss most of Android.

Mahoning posted:

Yes this.

Also....I know rooting phones isn't hard, but I just don't want to bother with it anymore. I actually like what I see from Apple how they have a pretty set release schedule and you can get the update the day/week of the announcement.

If you are not rooting it should be an easy decision.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

3.5" screen is about the only downside that I can think of, but people rarely complain about it so I doubht it's much of a problem. My own personal reasons for not getting an iPhone, aside from screen size, is the automation stuff I can do with Android. I can have WiFi turn on when I get home, have notifications shut up at night, have my media volume silent unless headphones are plugged in, have the screen brightness increase and the lockscreen disable when plugged in, and other such things. I don't know if this stuff is possible on iOS but I don't think I've heard about it.

On the other hand, iOS has far superior apps.

I agree the screen size and one of the reason I almost didn't get a iPhone. That said after using the iPhone for over a month I don't even notice it. I actually think many Android phones have went too big. I think the perfect screen size might be the Nexus S with its 4 inch screen.

You do make some good points, and gently caress I miss using MIUI and it's 100 lockscreens. But hell I still got my first jailbreak coming once I get bored with my iPhone with way it is now.

Also the quality of iOS apps over Android apps is amazing. It is like I never had apps before.

Edit: This is really stupid I just realized. There is no way to discuss which is better without sounding like a fanboy (it is like talking about the PS3 vs 360). All I have to say is I love Android and I really love the iPhone also. If you can play with both, and find what you like. Hell get an iPhone for a week or so, and return if you don't like it. But don't just rely on what other people tell you. Too many people are trying to justify their purchases, because it is human nature. Good chance my own view is slighted because I am subconsciously trying to justify buying an iPhone 4S.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Nov 22, 2011

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

nate fisher posted:

Good chance my own view is slighted because I am subconsciously trying to justify buying an iPhone 4S.

Why would you need to justify buying the best phone?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

nate fisher posted:

Because I find iOS and the iPhone 4S to be superior in almost every way.
Have you found a (free) replacement for Google Navigation? I know the iOS MapQuest does turn-by-turn, but as far as I can tell it's overhead view only.

That's the one thing I can think of that Android has over iOS and I wish there was an equivalent as I keep recommending iPhones to folks.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Sprint's Everything Data plans include use of Sprint Navigation, which is just a skinned version of TeleNav. It's in the App Store. I haven't used a Sprint iPhone yet, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't preinstalled.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

How does that change anything right now? He can't buy a phone from Sprint right now that has ICS. And we all know how terrible of an idea it is to buy a phone on the promise of an Android update.
Why wouldn't they? With how long it takes for updates to be rolled out and the lineup of phones from CES to hit the market, ICS won't be on the majority of Android phones until next summer at the earliest.

Nexus S will get ice cream sandwich fairly quickly. And that phone runs smoother than most phones with twice the hardware.

I'm certainly an android user, for me I just find iOS boring. Siri gets dull after about 2 days, and it's a grid of apps. Apple does certainly win in games and media, but for productivity I'm quite happy with android (although ironically I'm also doing fairly well with windows phone).

In the end its preference. My main argument against apple stuff is the cost of the Eco system and how boring it is.

And in terms if "planned updates" with the iPhone, I see it as a double edge sword. They update their products, but they with hold software so you buy up (currently siri). I got burned with an ipod touch I got from apple, and personally their update schedule certainly isn't as bad as android, but apple purposefully withholds stuff from current models, no doubt. What's the difference then?

goku chewbacca posted:

Sprint's Everything Data plans include use of Sprint Navigation, which is just a skinned version of TeleNav. It's in the App Store. I haven't used a Sprint iPhone yet, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't preinstalled.

Sprint nav is a no go with the iPhone. Just fyi.

Oh, content. Here are sprints black Friday specials:

Nexus S: free ($50 mail in rebate)
Replenish: same as nexus.

EVO 3D: $99

HTC EVO view: $249 (scribe $50). Cue laugh track here.

And technically the playbook, which is just a joke to me.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Nov 22, 2011

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

Mahoning posted:

I still have the original EVO that I got 2 weeks before launch, I'm really getting sick of it. How many people have gone from Android in general or the EVO specifically to an iPhone 4S?

If you have, what's the verdict? What do you like/dislike?

Well this isn't exactly the same as going from the original evo to an iPhone but going from the evo 4G to the evo shift was awful. I missed the 4.3" screen a lot more than I thought I would. Still, I think that screen size (and availability of SAMOLED+ screens) is one of the biggest losses of going to the iPhone.

Also, looking forward to the next couple of months I can't help but feel that ICS is just way ahead of iOS.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.
I'm moving to an area that has no Sprint coverage at all. Everything (voice, data) is roaming on Verizon at the house and immediate surroundings. Do they still end your service if 50% of your usage is roaming for 2 consecutive months?

Also, we have 4 lines and one of them won't be roaming at all as it's being used in a completely different state. Is that line going to be terminated if the other lines are? It's not the primary line so I'm assuming it would be.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
So, the Galaxy S™ ll, Epic™ 4G Touch.... Its made by Samsung so what is currently broken on it? Is there any reasonable expectation of those broken things getting fixed? Am I about to get burned by buying one of these?

Unrelated: Is there any sort of speakerdock made for any phone other than the iPhone? I really like the idea of one but I'm not sure I want an iPhone over an Android device.

oshuaj
Jul 25, 2007

GEMorris posted:

So, the Galaxy S™ ll, Epic™ 4G Touch.... Its made by Samsung so what is currently broken on it? Is there any reasonable expectation of those broken things getting fixed? Am I about to get burned by buying one of these?

Unrelated: Is there any sort of speakerdock made for any phone other than the iPhone? I really like the idea of one but I'm not sure I want an iPhone over an Android device.

It's actually been relatively issue-free, from what I've heard/experienced.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

GEMorris posted:

Radio issues mostly I believe.

As for the dock, http://www.amazon.com/Philips-AS111...DFD3Q2R3FGS6ZFQ

Looks kind of.. cheap. Maybe not the word I'm looking for, but floating phone is kinda :psyduck:

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

ddogflex posted:

There is also the whole, A PHONE IS loving USELESS WITHOUT RADIOS thing. But y'know, whatever. I honestly thought the guy was being sarcastic? I hope?
Kind of? I work in an area with terrible reception, so if I turn on airplane mode, I'm still able to play games and stuff without totally killing the battery. I was referring to the monster screen not sucking all of the life out of the phone, but I wasn't specific in that regard.

So, yes, the phone is useless without a radio, but it's just as useless with a working radio if that radio can't get reception.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

tomguycot posted:

Well this isn't exactly the same as going from the original evo to an iPhone but going from the evo 4G to the evo shift was awful. I missed the 4.3" screen a lot more than I thought I would. Still, I think that screen size (and availability of SAMOLED+ screens) is one of the biggest losses of going to the iPhone.

Also, looking forward to the next couple of months I can't help but feel that ICS is just way ahead of iOS.

Well when you factor in the fact that I want a smaller phone overall anyways, with a good camera, and one that is useful-out-of-the-box, I think my choice is pretty clear.

I kind of had my mind made up anyways, but I wanted to see if there was gonna be anyone that would tell me "NOOOOOOO dude, you'll spend the next month doing this when you should be doing this."

I never use Google Navigation because I know how to read a map and pulling up directions on Google Maps or whatever other map program is good enough for me.

As long as there is no glaring reason for me not to get it, I'm gonna pull the trigger soon.

Now just to decide whether to get an iPhone 4 or 4S. Since I'm getting $90 for my EVO, I could spend $10 for an IPhone 4 which is awesome since I'm poor as gently caress. Or I could wait a few weeks and spring $110 to get the 4S once I get the cash. The only reason I'm hesitant to do that is a) I'm worried the buyback price for the EVO will drop and b) the iPhone 4S is in shorter supply and I could risk not getting it if I wait til closer to Christmas.

Ugh.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

eric posted:

Why would you need to justify buying the best phone?

While I agree it is the best phone, I refer being that blunt because I am still in the honeymoon period with my phone. Lets see what happens when I get the 7 month itch.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Have you found a (free) replacement for Google Navigation? I know the iOS MapQuest does turn-by-turn, but as far as I can tell it's overhead view only.

That's the one thing I can think of that Android has over iOS and I wish there was an equivalent as I keep recommending iPhones to folks.

To be honest I haven't used navigation since going to the iPhone. I live in a small city (Knoxville, TN) so anytime I don't know where a place is I get Siri to look it up on a map. Once I see where it is on the map I am fine. I guess I need to look into that before I go out of town.

Duckman2008 posted:

I'm certainly an android user, for me I just find iOS boring. Siri gets dull after about 2 days, and it's a grid of apps. Apple does certainly win in games and media, but for productivity I'm quite happy with android (although ironically I'm also doing fairly well with windows phone).

In the end its preference. My main argument against apple stuff is the cost of the Eco system and how boring it is.

I use Siri daily. Everything from texting to setting reminders to getting Tom Cruise's age the other day (don't ask). The voice recognition is the best I used (yes even better than Google's). Yes Siri might not be making you laugh after the first week (how times can you ask her to go out with you?), but that is not the purpose. It is a very useful feature that I don't want to be without now.

I am not sure how I can explain this. iOS, the apps, media, etc. all just seem to flow as one system. It is just smooth that Android just seems clunky to me now. It is like with Android it was chaos, but now with the iPhone it is pure zen. God impossible to explain. I now understand what makes a integrated system so good.

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah that's a good analogy actually. If the time you spend with computers is time spent building, fixing, and tinkering with their hardware and operating system, then Android is probably a good choice for you. On the other hand if the time you spend with computers is time spent in applications and games and you mostly ignore the hardware and operating system, iOS is the better choice for you.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
Anyone who supports ios in the enterprise probably has mixed feelings about it too, there are a few bugs in activesync that have been around for a while that Apple should really fix (items getting stuck in outbox that cannot be cleared, the fix is to put the phone in airplane mode, send another email and then turn airplane mode off. When it reconnects both messages will send)

Before IOS5 I think Android was actually a better platform (notifications!), they seem to be roughly at parity now though.

Both app stores have turned into a non-functional zoo. Both have good web browsers and any decent application will be available on both. I could use either and not really care.

sanchez fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Nov 22, 2011

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Just a final update on how good my 3D's battery life has been on Warm 2.3 rls 1 (and then I'll shut up about it):

I finally just put it on the charger for the first time since flashing. Total time off charger (with normal-to-heavy usage) 1 day 4 hours. Probably could have gone a bit longer, but I've been addicted to Tiny Tower since I woke up this morning.

Just about doubled my battery life from flashing a rom, I don't know how it's even possible - especially since I'm still on the stock kernel.

Battle Cattle
Aug 13, 2003

MOO.

Leathal posted:

I've been addicted to Tiny Tower since I woke up this morning.
This game is like crack, it shreds my battery, and it makes my EVO 3D heat up to 105+ degrees BUT I CAN'T STOP

fuzzi
Oct 14, 2002

Leathal posted:

Just a final update on how good my 3D's battery life has been on Warm 2.3 rls 1 (and then I'll shut up about it):

I finally just put it on the charger for the first time since flashing. Total time off charger (with normal-to-heavy usage) 1 day 4 hours. Probably could have gone a bit longer, but I've been addicted to Tiny Tower since I woke up this morning.

Just about doubled my battery life from flashing a rom, I don't know how it's even possible - especially since I'm still on the stock kernel.

It's weird... I'm on the same rom and my battery barely lasts until 5pm. It randomly goes back to full brightness and I set it back to automatic brightness. I think I need to wipe and reflash or something.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?

fuzzi posted:

It's weird... I'm on the same rom and my battery barely lasts until 5pm. It randomly goes back to full brightness and I set it back to automatic brightness. I think I need to wipe and reflash or something.

I did a full wipe (data/dalvik/cache) with the flashable zip posted in the Warm thread's OP before I flashed rls 1. Probably worth doing, especially since I doubt I'm going to move to another rom before CM7 nightlies come along.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

GEMorris posted:

My wife and I haven't had any issues that weren't caused by rooting or using a lovely ROM. Now that the root process has been improved, you shouldn't have any problems. GPS locks slower than the EVO but that's my only complaint.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

GEMorris posted:

So, the Galaxy S™ ll, Epic™ 4G Touch.... Its made by Samsung so what is currently broken on it?
The biggest issue to date is that some folks experience the radio losing signal and not coming back until a reboot. That problem is far exacerbated by running a custom kernel prior to the most recent ones, but it has happened to folks on stock although infrequently enough that it's probably not a huge nuisance. Other folks haven't run into this issue at all. If you don't within your (14 days now?) exchange interval, you're probably fine.

GEMorris posted:

Is there any reasonable expectation of those broken things getting fixed? Am I about to get burned by buying one of these?
Samsung has acknowledged the radio issue and intends to issue a fix for it, although it's uncertain when. The problem is that updates on past Samsung devices have had a tendency to breaks poo poo that was otherwise working reasonably-if-not-perfectly well.

As an example, two of the past three updates has broken poo poo on the Epic. The first broke the camcorder, officially fixed a month later. The most recent update breaks the GPS again, which now performs the worst it has ever had for some folks. In both instances there were community fixes provided within a few days but that involves phone hacking to use them. In other words, there's something terribly broken in the QA testing between Samsung and Sprint.

My advice, as it is with other SGSII models, is that it's pretty darn good as long as you're happy with how it performs today. Don't expect timely updates (e.g., to ICS), and don't expect any update to fix poo poo or, frankly, even retain feature parity with the current build. But if, in the worst case, you're OK running the current GB build until you pick up a new phone then it's actually pretty darn good.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Thanks for the reply but that's not really reassuring me much. I'm currently on a Touch Pro 2 and I'm just fed up with having to gently caress with things just to get basic functions to work.

I'll probably just buy an iPhone.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

GEMorris posted:

Thanks for the reply but that's not really reassuring me much. I'm currently on a Touch Pro 2 and I'm just fed up with having to gently caress with things just to get basic functions to work.

I'll probably just buy an iPhone.

Keep in mind that Android phones work great straight out of the box. They are not like Windows Mobile 6.x phones that you had to hack to make them worth wild.

But as much as I hate Apple and as much as I like Android, I will admit that the Android UI leaves a little to be desired in the polish and usability departments. iPhones are very nice aesthetically in the UI. But they offer very little in the way of customization, where as Android is very customization. So it's a trade off.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
What's the going rate for a Sprint iPhone 4? Someone want to trade me his iPhone 4 for my HTC Evo, battery, car dock, and $75.

Also, does the Sprint iPhone have any identifying marks? I guess the model and ESN are buried in the settings menu?

Is the Sprint iPhone jailbroken, yet?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

goku chewbacca posted:

Also, does the Sprint iPhone have any identifying marks? I guess the model and ESN are buried in the settings menu?

No. Yes. No.

8GB of storage is not a lot for a multimedia smartphone these days. I wouldn't do it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

quote!=edit

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

No. Yes. No.

8GB of storage is not a lot for a multimedia smartphone these days. I wouldn't do it.
I had her agree to meet me at a Sprint kiosk to make the exchange, to avoid blacklisted ESN issues.

Thanks for pointing out the storage limitations of the 4. But it's my fiance's Evo with the original 8gb microSD she hasn't come close to filling. She's in healthcare and has been working 12-16 hours shifts lately, and the Evo battery life isn't cutting it.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
The Sprint iPhone 4 (not the 4S) is definitely jailbroken, considering I just jailbroke my girlfriend's new one a few days ago.

It's a tethered jailbreak, but it's still a jailbreak.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Is the story with the newest Windows OS offering on Sprint still that the OS is good and the phone is bad?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

goku chewbacca posted:

What's the going rate for a Sprint iPhone 4? Someone want to trade me his iPhone 4 for my HTC Evo, battery, car dock, and $75.

I would do that trade and worst case the sprint iPhone 4 would go for at least $400 on eBay.

PerniciousKnid posted:

Is the story with the newest Windows OS offering on Sprint still that the OS is good and the phone is bad?

You mean the arrive? I use the arrive actually, great phone. I don't think I could recommend it as the ONLY phone one uses, as windows still lacks in a few areas, but I like it, especially as a work phone.

I wouldn't hedge bets on many windows phones hitting sprint.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Duckman2008 posted:

I would do that trade and worst case the sprint iPhone 4 would go for at least $400 on eBay.
That's encouraging. I thought it was too good to be true, by at least $125 in my favor. She sounds young and with a tenuous grasp of the English language, in general. I think she's planning on flashing my Evo to a discount carrier, which probably isn't possible with the iPhone.

Glad to hear there's a tethered jailbreak for the 4. A must have for occasionally wifi tethering. Is Siri working, yet?

Only worry is that it will drop the Sprint insurance, and my fiance is a klutz. How long after purchase can you buy applecare?

EDIT:

Boricua con la iPhone posted:

There is 3 months free apple care Si u still have two u can purchase extended apple care and the phone have ensures thru sprint I pay monthly
What the gently caress is she saying?

I'll probably go with a Square Trade warranty. There's no Apple Genius Bar near me, anyway.

goku chewbacca fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Nov 23, 2011

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Mahoning posted:

Now just to decide whether to get an iPhone 4 or 4S. Since I'm getting $90 for my EVO, I could spend $10 for an IPhone 4 which is awesome since I'm poor as gently caress. Or I could wait a few weeks and spring $110 to get the 4S once I get the cash. The only reason I'm hesitant to do that is a) I'm worried the buyback price for the EVO will drop and b) the iPhone 4S is in shorter supply and I could risk not getting it if I wait til closer to Christmas.

Ugh.

If it were me, I'd hold off for the 4S. Yeah, it's more money now...but that also means you'll have better resale value later.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

goku chewbacca posted:

That's encouraging. I thought it was too good to be true, by at least $125 in my favor. She sounds young and with a tenuous grasp of the English language, in general. I think she's planning on flashing my Evo to a discount carrier, which probably isn't possible with the iPhone.

Glad to hear there's a tethered jailbreak for the 4. A must have for occasionally wifi tethering. Is Siri working, yet?

Only worry is that it will drop the Sprint insurance, and my fiance is a klutz. How long after purchase can you buy applecare?

EDIT:
What the gently caress is she saying?

I'll probably go with a Square Trade warranty. There's no Apple Genius Bar near me, anyway.

Sounds like one of my former cricket customers. Apple care is now available until Christmas fyi. I think that's all or at or St most iPhones.

funroll loops
Feb 6, 2007
CAPSISSTUCK
How far back did the Epic 4g get a custom gingerbread ROM? Kind of considering picking up an Epic 4g Touch but want to have a gauge on how fast the dev community picks up the slack for Samsung. Otherwise, I guess I'll try to find a used Nexus S or something.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

Mahoning posted:

I never use Google Navigation because I know how to read a map and pulling up directions on Google Maps or whatever other map program is good enough for me.

What?

What does knowing how to read a map have to do with using turn by turn directions? Do you understand that there is a safety issue in having your face buried in a map while driving?

CRUISECONTROL posted:

How far back did the Epic 4g get a custom gingerbread ROM? Kind of considering picking up an Epic 4g Touch but want to have a gauge on how fast the dev community picks up the slack for Samsung. Otherwise, I guess I'll try to find a used Nexus S or something.

Pretty far back, but the stock ROM for the Touch/GS2 is pretty good. Keep in mind that he people that aren't having LOS issues aren't making threads about it on XDA.

Kynetx fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Nov 23, 2011

funroll loops
Feb 6, 2007
CAPSISSTUCK

Kynetx posted:

Pretty far back, but the stock ROM for the Touch/GS2 is pretty good. Keep in mind that he people that aren't having LOS issues aren't making threads about it on XDA.

I mostly just want ICS sooner than like a year from now. It doesn't look like the Epic or Touch have CM either, which kind of sucks.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

berzerkmonkey posted:

Gotta second this. The phone has really good battery life - put it in airplane mode and it will last a couple of days.

Yes, yes it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Kynetx posted:

What?

What does knowing how to read a map have to do with using turn by turn directions? Do you understand that there is a safety issue in having your face buried in a map while driving?

Thanks captain safety man. I can look at a map before I leave and know where I'm going with little to no help.

Sometimes I pull the map back up at a stoplight. :ssh:

Mahoning fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Nov 23, 2011