Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
I ride with my instep firmly planted in my pegs. :colbert:

Of course, my pegs are forward controls and made out of twisted railroad spikes that we had chromed and welded a mount on to.

CRUISERS!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Bah, real cruiser riders have pegs big enough that they have floormats.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Indeed. How else are you going to install under floor heating?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
I ride with both, instep in traffic so I'm right on the controls. Sometimes you just have to drop a gear cause you missed something and oh god they're coming in your lane NOW.

When cornering I just move my left foot back and forth whenever I take a turn. I can't see a reason to not be on the instep for 90% of the time.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I ride sidesaddle so I can usually only get one foot on the peg while the other dangles merrily, if I need the back brake I just lean back and work it with my hand

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010
Well, 2 weeks ago (having not read this thread yet) I bought myself a baby 250cc motorbiek, hopped on in borrowed gear with precisely 0 hours of riding in my belt, figuring that I've ridden a bicycle before and how hard can it be right? Perfect Sunday afternoon, no cars around as I'm in a beautifully quiet area, thankfully. coming to my first left turn at 40kmph (about 25mph) and I do everything wrong. Fixated on a pothole miles away from me, started turning, saw gravel, panicked, front braked mid turn and ooooh pretty sky.

Minor damage to the bikes farings, left indicator light cover is broken, left mirror and the shifter was bent funny. The bike did well aside from that, no other damage to report. The (idiot) human has minor rash on a knee, an elbow where the ill fitting jacket rode up, and a chipped bone in the right wrist from trying to use it to slow down with or something.

Lessons learned:
1. fixation is a bad thing.
2. being on the road with no experience is not only a bad, but a dangerous thing.
3. not owning your own gear is an expensive thing when you have to replace it.
3a. wearing any gear is better than no gear! that would have hurt a LOT more if I didn't have any on.
4. do the goddamned MSF course! just because it's a baby bike, it still hurts to come off!

So, I've booked myself into the equivalent MSF and will try again but a little more educated this time.

No pics, they're nothing new or worth mentioning.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Welcome to the hobby!

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

sildargod posted:

Well, 2 weeks ago (having not read this thread yet) I bought myself a baby 250cc motorbiek, hopped on in borrowed gear with precisely 0 hours of riding in my belt, figuring that I've ridden a bicycle before and how hard can it be right?

Not that your friends are responsible for your well-being, but it sucks that whoever you borrowed the gear from didn't have the common sense to know that you don't belong on public roads with no experience or formal training.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

sildargod posted:

4. do the goddamned MSF course! just because it's a baby bike, it still hurts to come off!

There is a tendency to discount the risk in riding small displacement bikes, this is basically akin to thinking a handgun is safe because it isn't a machine gun.

At least you got your first crash out of the way nice and early. A lot of riding skills do translate from cycling if you have a lot of experience riding in traffic. It is almost all to do with awareness and mind set though; the practical skills are too different as you have found out.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

nsaP posted:

Why?

It's more comfortable for me to ride with my instep on the pegs, and aside from warnings about boots getting dragged under the bike during turning, I don't see what the issue is.

On the only bike I ride where that is an issue, I just switch the the ball of my foot right before the turn. The other bikes scrape the feelers on the pegs long before my boot gets close.

Because riding with your instep on the peg might give you the bad, bad habit of resting your toes on the shifter. That's a pretty good way to learn all about gearbox shift-forks replacement.

If you promise to keep your dirty toes off the shifter, I see no real problem with your riding style though.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Sir Cornelius posted:

Because riding with your instep on the peg might give you the bad, bad habit of resting your toes on the shifter. That's a pretty good way to learn all about gearbox shift-forks replacement.

If you promise to keep your dirty toes off the shifter, I see no real problem with your riding style though.

I'm duck footed as poo poo, breathe a sigh of relief my friend.

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Not that your friends are responsible for your well-being, but it sucks that whoever you borrowed the gear from didn't have the common sense to know that you don't belong on public roads with no experience or formal training.

Not to speak for this guy's situation, but some friends can't be told. I have a buddy still looking for his first bike who can't be convinced to take the course because he's ridden a few hours of dirt and thinks he'll be fine. I've bugged him about it worse than a recently converted non-smoker, and still I don't think it'll work. It's only 25 drat dollars here so I'm signing him up for Christmas, but I have a feeling it'll be a waste of money.

In that case, you can be sure I'll give him some safety gear to start (as I'm sure he'll go out in a hoodie as well) but there's not much that can be done otherwise.

K.Y. Jelly Donut
Jan 2, 2009
I spend almost all my riding time on short hops in the inner city and I am probably shifting every 30 seconds so I have the bad habit of just resting my foot near the shifter and brake. Wearing light runners so I am well aware of not actually putting pressure on either of em while I ride, but I lose that awareness with my new big rear end leather boots on. I guess I will just have to retrain myself and learn to pay more attention to where my feet are.

And for actual content, nothing serious but as I am posting any way...

I ended up putting my bike down on the weekend, entirely through my own stupid fault. Coming off a longish freeway stint, long right hand that tightened up a little. Came in a little too fast and was looking around for too long before I got into the corner, ran out of road half way through the turn and mounted the lane divider. Almost got the bike to a complete stop before it fell over, more of a car park drop than anything else. Still walked away with a couple of decent lessons cheaply learned, which is nice.

1. Speed is hypnotically deceptive, I had just spent an hour or two at 130kph so dropping down to 80 felt quite slow.
2. I was looking around for directions and to get my bearings, If I had just ridden the road in front of me I could have easily turned around a hundred meters down the road if I made the wrong turn.
3. New gear can play tricks. I normally ride with an open face helmet and I can tell within a few k's my speed just by wind force and engine noise. The new full face helmet kinda insulated me from that feedback.

So now I have to replace the rear view mirror on one side, no big deal. My rego also lapsed 10 days ago as the arresting officer was so kind to point out, so it was an expensive weekend all things considered.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

sildargod posted:

front braked mid turn and ooooh pretty sky.

This is actually not a bad thing at all. It is just that hard breaking requires a smooth application of front brakes (to teach yourself this: first you tighten your pinky, then your ring, then middle and at last your index finger). This takes less than a second, but gives the bike time to put some weight on the front. This gives the front more grip, so you can brake harder, et cetera until you dig a rut in the asphalt.

That is to say that the first step in an emergency stop from a turn is to straighten out the bike first, but that doesn't mean braking in a corner is always 100% wrong.

I'm willing to bet that you slammed the poo poo out of your brakes, making one or both of the wheels lock up instantly. :) Next time, don't do that.

karms fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Nov 22, 2011

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Ray was on a stool when he glocked the cow.

KARMA! posted:

I'm willing to bet that you slammed the poo poo out of your brakes, making one or both of the wheels lock up instantly. :) Next time, don't do that.

I'm still surprised I didn't lowside when I did this on my SV650's front brake without the bike being perfectly straight. I felt the front end begin to go and let of the brake for half a second, the bike settled, and then I stopped. The forks have Traxxion internals now though so maybe that helped.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
I know people claim that brakes mid corner = instant death, but that's not true if you aren't riding 10/10ths. Granted, not a whole lot of brake, and to really scrub off some speed you need to stand it up, but gentle pressure isn't going to lowside you.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

K.Y. Jelly Donut posted:

I was looking around for directions and to get my bearings, If I had just ridden the road in front of me I could have easily turned around a hundred meters down the road if I made the wrong turn.

I've noticed I ride way worse if I don't know where I am and am trying to get my bearings. Considering this is often in crowded urban confines, I'm justifying getting a GPS mount as a safety measure.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I don't know what made people decide to be scared of braking in corners, but I've also never ridden anything hard that had horrible tires.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I've heard older standard bikes used to stand up real bad if you braked in corners. Combine this with the general cruddiness of older brake and tire technology and add a healthy dollop of Layer Dan Lever mythology.

Trail braking is poor form in general but it's not going to smear you across the blacktop if you're smooth and gentle about it.

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

He did, but you know how it is. I AM A GROWN ADULT MANCHILD I BREAK RULES DAMMIT! one day I will figure out how to break these fundamental laws of physics everyone keeps telling me about!

nsaP posted:

Not to speak for this guy's situation, but some friends can't be told.

Absolutely true, I was way too impatient and my buddy was gracious enough to allow me the use of his gear so that if I did balls up, I wouldn't be too badly off.

KARMA! posted:

This is actually not a bad thing at all. It is just that hard breaking requires a smooth application of front brakes (to teach yourself this: first you tighten your pinky, then your ring, then middle and at last your index finger). This takes less than a second, but gives the bike time to put some weight on the front. This gives the front more grip, so you can brake harder, et cetera until you dig a rut in the asphalt.

That is to say that the first step in an emergency stop from a turn is to straighten out the bike first, but that doesn't mean braking in a corner is always 100% wrong.

I need to learn this, because I definitely locked up the front brake in my panic.

Safety Dance posted:

Welcome to the hobby!

Thank you good sir!

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Snowdens Secret posted:

I've heard older standard bikes used to stand up real bad if you braked in corners.

It's not even older bikes, it's just dependent on chassis geometry and suspension setup. Some bikes don't mind it, some want to stand up. Just have to be aware of what your machine will do and ride accordingly.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Snowdens Secret posted:

I've heard older standard bikes used to stand up real bad if you braked in corners. Combine this with the general cruddiness of older brake and tire technology and add a healthy dollop of Layer Dan Lever mythology.

Trail braking is poor form in general but it's not going to smear you across the blacktop if you're smooth and gentle about it.

Pretty much any bike from the mid 90s or before and especially when equipped with "period" rubber. Modern geometry and modern tyres mean you can now turn in without any significant effort under braking and adjust your line mid corner on pretty much any kind of bike. Other than a cruiser, where the choices are going straight or being launched into the air by your footboard.

There's nothing wrong with trail braking unless you fall off doing it, which is exactly the same caveat one would apply to braking in a straight line or applying throttle.

mootmoot
Jan 29, 2006

sildargod posted:

Thank you good sir!

Don't be too grateful, the hobby costs more to maintain than my girlfriend. It's a fully-fledged wallet-vacuumer.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Reading through this thread and seeing all the posts about people driving on by after accidents made me want to mention my accident.

I got caught in the rain and the person in front of me braked hard for an unsignalled turn. I locked up the front wheel and slid out. A couple people behind me honked at me until I got my bike out of the road.

A bit off topic, but this is one of several stories that makes me regret moving from Kansas to Missouri. I never would have expected it to be so different.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Dutymode posted:

A couple people behind me honked at me until I got my bike out of the road.
I'd have probably lost my poo poo, flipped them off, and made nice comments about their mothers after that one.

:smith:

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008

BlackMK4 posted:

I'd have probably lost my poo poo, flipped them off, and made nice comments about their mothers after that one.

Thinking about it now makes me pretty mad, but I was still to shaken to be more than surprised while it was happening since it was my first real fall.

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
Grimey Drawer
Well, after getting that first lowside out of the way, I thought I'd be good for a while :-(

Managed to highside the DRZ yesterday at very low speed (10mphish). For some reason my foot decided it was a good idea to use the rear brake while I was turning into a car park. I guess I'm not used to the disc brake on the rear, yet (my 125 had/has a drum), and I locked it up. There is a small chance it was diesel again, as it was an industrial estate, but I'm more than willing to put my hand up and call it 100% my fault.

Anyway, it locked up, slid, caught and pitched me off pretty quickly. I hit the ground, and then the bike landed on my foot. Someone stopped and helped me pick up the bike and park it. Then a colleague of mine took me to Accident and Emergency because I wasn't sure my foot wasn't broken. Hospital trip was pretty quick, it was only around the corner. It's not broken, I've been told to take painkillers and walk on it. Pretty goddamn painful, though. I took a photo of my foot this morning, I'll take one every day for a while as I think the bruising is going to be pretty awesome looking. Just swollen right now, though.

Bike is fine, some scratches, I'll need to re-align the handlebars and possibly replace a wing-mirror.

There is also a very high likelyhood that I'll be able to get CCTV footage of the crash. It was outside a storage place, and they have cameras everywhere; they keep footage for 3 months :-)

I'll post photos later, the camera is on the other side of the room right now, and I don't feel much like walking :-/

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

polystyrus posted:

Well, after getting that first lowside out of the way, I thought I'd be good for a while :-(

Managed to highside the DRZ yesterday at very low speed (10mphish). For some reason my foot decided it was a good idea to use the rear brake while I was turning into a car park.

Anyway, it locked up, slid, caught and pitched me off pretty quickly. I hit the ground, and then the bike landed on my foot.

There is also a very high likelyhood that I'll be able to get CCTV footage of the crash.

I, for one, can't wait to see the pictures. :eek:

Were you using MX boots?

Basically, with a dirt bike, just keep the back brake locked and pull the clutch in and you can pretty much turn it 180 degrees. Just keep your weight centered over the bike and countersteer the bars into and through the skid until you're ready to pick it up/stop. Points for style if you keep it feet up throughout and points for difficulty if you're going right.

So what I'm saying is basically your mistake was letting off the back brake/not using enough of it. Apologies if this is a statement of the obvious.

Saga fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Nov 29, 2011

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Saga posted:

I, for one, can't wait to see the pictures. :eek:

Were you using MX boots?
No, but I will be now. Standard leather street boots. Not sure if this is the exact model, but third one down on this link:
http://www.onyertriumph.net/boots.php

Saga posted:

So what I'm saying is basically your mistake was letting off the back brake/not using enough of it. Apologies if this is a statement of the obvious.

That did occur to me. I'm never gonna take offence at "obvious" advice, so don't worry. Definitely gonna be trying this as a drill when I'm better. Basically I panicked (oh, no, I'm sliding, better stop braking).

First photo:

Hard to see how swollen it is (for reference, I have pretty skinny feet, normally), but you can see some of the bruising coming through near the toes. Also dirty toenails.

Edit: First day, still, just a different view:

dick traceroute fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Nov 29, 2011

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
At least it's not broken!

As big a pain in the bum as they can be (especially when new), MX/Enduro boots are designed with the assumption that your foot will hit hard things and also the bike.

Have a look at a bespoke trials boot for a compromise, although the downside to those is that you will be better off with a full enduro boot if you're going to do any enduros/MX/practice days on the bike simply in terms of overall protection. A trials boot usually has a more flexible last, shorter on the leg etc with a flat sole more like a skate shoe.

Are you running knobblies on the road, or is this the more common SM version of the DRZ you've picked up?

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it's the sm version. The rear has some wear.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Here's my friend getting tunnel vision going around a turn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3WPR8Oh0dM

EDIT: Oh God, wrong video.

Dutymode fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Nov 29, 2011

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Dutymode posted:

Here's my friend getting tunnel vision going around a turn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgkU-rbnqx4

Huh? That's a drag race.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

Huh? That's a drag race.

Those are cruisers. They have to slow down to negotiate the curvature of the earth.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008

Safety Dance posted:

Huh? That's a drag race.

Oops...edited my link.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
I like how just before he leaves the road, you can see the tyre marks where your friend crashed the last four times he went around that corner. :shobon:

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008

Saga posted:

I like how just before he leaves the road, you can see the tyre marks where your friend crashed the last four times he went around that corner. :shobon:

He's getting pretty good at it, huh?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I can only imagine the guy in the salmon shirt riding pillion on the oncoming bike just about shat himself when your friend nearly T-boned him.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008

Safety Dance posted:

I can only imagine the guy in the salmon shirt riding pillion on the oncoming bike just about shat himself when your friend nearly T-boned him.

I know. Actually he clipped him with his turn signal.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Dutymode posted:

I know. Actually he clipped him with his turn signal.

Mirror too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effzedsix
Mar 7, 2006
I just had one of the worst crashes... the kind I don't understand. Pulled out fro a stop sign making a right hand turn. Layed a regular amount of throttle for a clear dry day without any gravel or leaves beneath me. My back end totally lost traction and the bike lowsided... I didn't even hit the breaks. Although I spun around on the ground in a 360 the bike is mostly unharmed thanks to the framesliders. It was 46 degrees and I have stock tires on my FZ6 which I suspect are on the sporty side. I really just don't know when I couldn't grip like I do every other day.

• Locked thread