Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

TheChipmunk posted:

I'm trying to restore/rejailbreak my iPhone 4 (iOS 5) to get rid of the huge "Other" Mystery space. However, after putting it into DFU mode and trying to do a custom restore of 5.0 NO_BB, it tells me that my device is not eligible.

At this point, I just have to wait because TinyUmbrella doesn't work its magic anymore? Would the only way to do this be to go to 5.0.1?

Tiny umbrella is currently useless for ios5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

randyest posted:

I meant one rating each. It's less hassle than a million "Not now" clicks for every game. And maybe they'll stop if they get enough 1-stars.

Every Zynga app I have prompts me to log in to Facebook on almost each usage and it drives me crazy. Rating them 1 and leaving annoying feedback hasn't had any effect yet unfortunately :(

e: I haven't used Popup Blocker in so long, would it cover something like this?

spongeworthy fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Nov 20, 2011

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir
Does semitether work with Lockinfo? I realize lockinfo won't load in non tethered boot, but can I at least get to the vital parts of my phone?

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
Is there a way to wipe all data/settings from an iPhone while retaining the jailbreak?

Sold my old phone and would like to keep it jailbroken if possible.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Is there a way to wipe all data/settings from an iPhone while retaining the jailbreak?

Sold my old phone and would like to keep it jailbroken if possible.
I think you have to restore and re-jailbreak. That's the way I did it. I didn't try, but I've been told using the settings to erase all will erase too much and stick the thing in a boot loop requiring a DFU restore.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
So if I've got the 4.3.3 SHSH on my Cydia, then I can just download the 4.3.3 ipsw from somewhere and shift+click or whatever it is to restore from that and it'll work?

Sorry I've never actually had to worry about stuff like SHSH blobs before.

TheChipmunk
Sep 29, 2003

Eschew Obfuscation

TheChipmunk posted:

I'm trying to restore/rejailbreak my iPhone 4 (iOS 5) to get rid of the huge "Other" Mystery space. However, after putting it into DFU mode and trying to do a custom restore of 5.0 NO_BB, it tells me that my device is not eligible.

At this point, I just have to wait because TinyUmbrella doesn't work its magic anymore? Would the only way to do this be to go to 5.0.1?

So I figured out what the 'Other' was by using Phone Disk and doing Grand Perspective on it. Turns out I had a shitload of voice memos that iTunes doesn't care much to notify me about (over 4GB of voice memos). I deleted them through iExplorer and setup a smart playlist that only syncs the 20 most recent memos. My 'Other' space looks a hell of a lot more normal now.

Edit: http://peter.upfold.org.uk/blog/2011/10/21/my-resolution-to-ios-5-waiting-for-items-to-copy-sync-issue/
Others were having similar issues apparently.

TheChipmunk fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 20, 2011

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

So if I've got the 4.3.3 SHSH on my Cydia, then I can just download the 4.3.3 ipsw from somewhere and shift+click or whatever it is to restore from that and it'll work?

Sorry I've never actually had to worry about stuff like SHSH blobs before.
Yes, but you'll also need to get tinyumbrella and run its TSS server. It will spoof and answer the shsh request from itunes instead of apple's servers. Make sure you disable any proxies or firewalls other than windows firewall first.

You might also need to get your shsh form cydia and store them locally. I had mine saved locally by tinyumbrella. I think there's a way to do it where you set your host file to route gs.apple.com to some cydia server, but I haven't tried it that way, and I'm not sure if it still works.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
So I saved my SHSHs via TU, am running the TSS server and am trying to restore 4.3.3 on my phone, but I keep getting "An unknown error occurred (1)".

Any ideas?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

So I saved my SHSHs via TU, am running the TSS server and am trying to restore 4.3.3 on my phone, but I keep getting "An unknown error occurred (1)".

Any ideas?
You're not using a proxy or fancy firewall are you? What else does the log window say?

edit maybe this? http://www.pressbyte.com/3748/fix-itunes-error-ios-434-downgrade-433/ or this http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1257410

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
If I have the 4.3.3 SHSH for my iPad 1, is there any reason I can't try out the 5.0.1 tethered jailbreak and revert back if I don't like it?

Trashman
Sep 11, 2000

You trash eating stink bag!
Fun Shoe

Any ideas?
I had this same issue so I downloaded redsn0w (latest version) and ran it and next time I started the phone up it had been wiped and was still jailbroken on 4.3.3. Not really sure how that works but hey might be worth a shot.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Vykk.Draygo posted:

If I have the 4.3.3 SHSH for my iPad 1, is there any reason I can't try out the 5.0.1 tethered jailbreak and revert back if I don't like it?
I haven't done it (also considering it) but I can't think of any reason that won't work.

Unicorn Vomit
Feb 21, 2006

Descanting the Insalubrious
I haven't owned an apple product in 6 months, but am now the owner of 2 unjailbreakable 4.3.5 iPad 2's. Any reason to wait before upgrading to iOS 5, since I'm assuming that's going to be the next jailbreak? Also, has the jailbreaking scene slowed down or something? Last time I checked everyone was racing to outdo each other and the jailbreaking scene was a massive drama fest.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Trashman posted:

I had this same issue so I downloaded redsn0w (latest version) and ran it and next time I started the phone up it had been wiped and was still jailbroken on 4.3.3. Not really sure how that works but hey might be worth a shot.
Weird. Just did this and it appears to be working fine. Thanks. Would have never thought to try that.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

The Metal Avenger posted:

I haven't owned an apple product in 6 months, but am now the owner of 2 unjailbreakable 4.3.5 iPad 2's. Any reason to wait before upgrading to iOS 5, since I'm assuming that's going to be the next jailbreak? Also, has the jailbreaking scene slowed down or something? Last time I checked everyone was racing to outdo each other and the jailbreaking scene was a massive drama fest.

I think there might be a way to force them down to 4.3.3. This is only hearsay, mind; I still have a 4.3.1 jailbroken iPad 1, and I'm holding off both the upgrade of that and/or any potential hardware upgrade until 5.0+ is solidly broken.

And last I heard, around late October, was that there was "something" that someone had managed to crack, but it was still a WIP, and some upgrade to 5.0.1 had already fixed it. I wouldn't be surprised if they're waiting on 5.0.2 to start hardcore cracking, though-- between the 5.0 battery issues and the 5.0.1 "fixed battery issues but added other problems" issues, they may just be waiting on something more solid before trying to go to town. I remember the same thing happening during some iteration of iOS 4.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I have an iPhone 4 (original) running 4.0.0 (the launch version) which was jailbroken over the web. It worked fine for over a year and now I want to give it to my dad so I wiped and reset the phone (untethered) but now it just boots up to a black screen after the apple logo. What should I do? I don't want to update it to latest since my dad lives in China and he will need the phone to be at some older version so he can have it unlocked over there.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Shaocaholica posted:

I have an iPhone 4 (original) running 4.0.0 (the launch version) which was jailbroken over the web. It worked fine for over a year and now I want to give it to my dad so I wiped and reset the phone (untethered) but now it just boots up to a black screen after the apple logo. What should I do? I don't want to update it to latest since my dad lives in China and he will need the phone to be at some older version so he can have it unlocked over there.
Is you have 4.x SHSH saved read this page to learn how to restore and re-jailbreak. If not, you're hosed and you'll have to update to 5.x, which is jailbreakable, but I'm not sure if it's unlockable. Check jailbreakmatrix.com

Erasing settings on a jailbroken phone erases too much and you need to do a DFU restore to fix it.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

randyest posted:

Is you have 4.x SHSH saved read this page to learn how to restore and re-jailbreak. If not, you're hosed and you'll have to update to 5.x, which is jailbreakable, but I'm not sure if it's unlockable. Check jailbreakmatrix.com

Erasing settings on a jailbroken phone erases too much and you need to do a DFU restore to fix it.

I backed it up using Saurik's server if I recall. How do I use that?

According to jailbreak matrix, it seems like I want to go to 4.3.1? But there is a disclaimer for unlocking I should avoid updating the baseband. Should I just keep the baseband at whatever it is currently forever?

Edit: Ok, I'm following this thing:

http://www.jailbreakmatrix.com/tools/sn0wbreeze-2-6-1

I guess its going to try to retrieve my SHSH from cydia?

Shaocaholica fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Nov 21, 2011

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Shaocaholica posted:

I backed it up using Saurik's server if I recall. How do I use that?

According to jailbreak matrix, it seems like I want to go to 4.3.1? But there is a disclaimer for unlocking I should avoid updating the baseband. Should I just keep the baseband at whatever it is currently forever?

Edit: Ok, I'm following this thing:

http://www.jailbreakmatrix.com/tools/sn0wbreeze-2-6-1

I guess its going to try to retrieve my SHSH from cydia?
Sorry I can't say for sure since I had local SHSH from tinyumbrella saved, but jailbreakmatrix is usually pretty accurate. Good luck!

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Wait, I don't even need SHSH to flash a newer FW though right? The phone is still on 4.0.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

Wait, I don't even need SHSH to flash a newer FW though right? The phone is still on 4.0.

You need a SHSH for any version that Apple has stopped signing, which at this point means anything that isn't 5.0.1. If you don't have a SHSH for a given version on a specific device then you will not be able to restore to that version.

If you have the SHSH you can restore 4.0.0. Alternatively, you can update to 5.0.1 with the caveats that the only jailbreak for it is tethered and ultrasn0w does not work on it yet. I am also unsure whether you can create a custom firmware that preserves your baseband for 5.0.1 yet.

Oneiros fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Nov 22, 2011

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Well I tried following guides for 4.3.1 and 4.3.2 and none of them worked. It seems to be failing on the handshake. Pointing the apple server to the cydia backup server didn't work even though I had my SHSH backed up there for sure.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Shaocaholica posted:

Well I tried following guides for 4.3.1 and 4.3.2 and none of them worked. It seems to be failing on the handshake. Pointing the apple server to the cydia backup server didn't work even though I had my SHSH backed up there for sure.

Install TinyUmbrella, plug your device in, click Get SHSH and see what happens. It'll tell you and download every blob that are backed up plus the 5.0.1 blob, and it'll save them in c:\users\[user]\.shsh

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Install TinyUmbrella, plug your device in, click Get SHSH and see what happens. It'll tell you and download every blob that are backed up plus the 5.0.1 blob, and it'll save them in c:\users\[user]\.shsh

Didn't work. TU detects the phone in DFU mode but since it doesn't boot correctly I don't think it can get the SHSH. I tried the fix boot loop thing and that causes something to run and output to the screen of the phone but it just goes back to failing to boot.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

My wife, on 4.whatever has refused to let me update her iPhone because she loves her jailbreak. Semitether working and some of the neat 5.0 features finally convinced her. The problem is that I've gotten a new computer since then and it wants to wipe out her apps and music to sync with the "new" library, which is really just the old library on a new machine. When I brought my phone over I got around this somehow by clicking okay and then panicking and clicking cancel and unplugging my phone and then it just worked somehow. Is there a more elegant solution, or should I just datadeposit her Tiny Wings etc. files?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Restore the phone using 5.0.1. Then run TinyUmbrella to grab any stored SHSHs you have.

Once you have those you can downgrade and jailbreak.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Is there a reason that the Lockinfo Clock plugin's calendar will not update?

m0isty
Sep 7, 2007
Never knowingly underfed....

The Aphasian posted:

Is there a reason that the Lockinfo Clock plugin's calendar will not update?

By "update", do you mean show your calendar entries? It doesn't do that, it's just a basic calendar. ;)

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

m0isty posted:

By "update", do you mean show your calendar entries? It doesn't do that, it's just a basic calendar. ;)

I mean it still displays October and I can't even swipe it left or right to change months.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

I've discovered that the really big battery drain from ios5 (~40% overnight, sitting idle), can be entirely, 100% eliminated, by airplane mode. It was at 56% when I put it on my desk unplugged at the end of the night, in airplane mode, and 56% when I got up this morning.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Jetsetlemming posted:

I've discovered that the really big battery drain from ios5 (~40% overnight, sitting idle), can be entirely, 100% eliminated, by airplane mode. It was at 56% when I put it on my desk unplugged at the end of the night, in airplane mode, and 56% when I got up this morning.

Do you know if this works if you flip the WiFi off on iPads as well? Or does the battery drain just not happen on iPads?

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

OriginalPseudonym posted:

Do you know if this works if you flip the WiFi off on iPads as well? Or does the battery drain just not happen on iPads?

My iPad loses almost nothing when it's sleeping. Seriously, like 1% a day or something. That's with wifi on, so turning it off is completely not worth the effort.

poo poo, my iPhone doesn't seem to use any more battery with wifi on 24/7 than off. Even though I only connect to wifi at home. My old Android phone would slurp up battery if I left wifi on.

Should be noted, I guess, that my iPhone loses less than 5% battery overnight with lovely reception, so maybe I have god-batteries.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Does anyone w/ SBSettings on 5.0+ have this problem? I will drag down to activate notification center and then hit a toggle. Every single time I hit a toggle, the SBSettings part of the bar starts to slide to the right. It's really annoying and makes me feel like I missed or something.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

dexter6 posted:

Does anyone w/ SBSettings on 5.0+ have this problem? I will drag down to activate notification center and then hit a toggle. Every single time I hit a toggle, the SBSettings part of the bar starts to slide to the right. It's really annoying and makes me feel like I missed or something.
Yeah I notice it tends to slide often when hitting toggles, it's annoying.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

OriginalPseudonym posted:

This is on my ipod touch 3, running 5.0. No clue about other devices. It didn't use to have any battery troubles pre-update, so I'm thinking it's specifically the notifications and poo poo. the patch notes for 5.0.1 claim to fix a "battery usage bug" or something like that, but as we're all still waiting for the untethered breakthrough, I don't want to update...

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
Is there any sort of app that can restore game data? I accidentally deleted 9 innings 2011 (baseball game) from my device last night. Not the biggest loss in my world, but I was curious as to if there was anything on Cydia that could get my game history back.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mr Hands Colon posted:

Is there any sort of app that can restore game data? I accidentally deleted 9 innings 2011 (baseball game) from my device last night. Not the biggest loss in my world, but I was curious as to if there was anything on Cydia that could get my game history back.
Not that I kmow of, but for future purposes use DataDeposit to back up app/game saves to dropbox.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Mr Hands Colon posted:

You can use iExplorer to pull data directly off of your device, which includes (generally) savegames. It's very app-dependent as to what you can actually do with that though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is there a way to make your ipod touch like a storage device? I just want to drag and drop apps/music/pictures onto it but you have to "sync" with that computer in order to do so, but not all my computers have everything, it stinks.

• Locked thread