Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

soap.
Jul 15, 2007

Her?

Sub Par posted:

I'm cooking fennel for the first time tonight. Just for me and the wife so if I gently caress it up and it tastes horrible no big deal. I generally like my vegetables to be more tender, but the texture of the fennel confuses me as to what it will be like once cooked. If I'm going for tender and delicious, which would be better: saute then deglaze with white wine and braise, or just roast with olive oil etc?

Texturally, fennel is pretty darn similar to onion. So if you roast it, it will be firmer but it will have those wonderful roasted carbon-y bits, and a stronger anise-y flavor. Braising it will mellow it quite a bit, and bring out more of the sweetness. You really can't go wrong. I love fennel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Casu Marzu posted:

Edit: what FGM said too. That's aloooot of yeast.

I'm FGR you noob.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I'm FGR you noob.

FML

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

FTM

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

WTF?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Squashy Nipples posted:

Sweet pepper jelly with habs.

Great idea! I do like that

Any other ideas for 40+ habaneros? It was on the last page but I was thinking hotsauce or trying to make my own spices

Appl
Feb 4, 2002

where da white womens at?

Casu Marzu, on what to do regarding excess brussel sprouts posted:

Shred finely and mix with a mustardy viniagrette and let chill in the fridge for a couple hours. A bit of radish and carrot and red onion is nice in it too.

I don't know if anybody else tried this, but I did and it was fantastic. I put it on top of some pulled pork glazed with a Tankhouse Ale reduction, and the slightly bitter slaw contrasted the sweet pork perfectly.

Thanks Casu!

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum

Junior G-man posted:

Honestly, both methods are delicious.

However, if you're in possession of a pan with grill marks you an slice it very thin and grill it like you would a courgette. They're delicious with those big black grill marks and a little olive oil drizzled over as a salad.

Thanks for the suggestion. I didn't have one handy so I oven roasted them. I cut them into slightly smaller pieces than I had originally planned to get some blackening on them a la your grill marks. It was fantastic. I can't wait for spring - I feel like roasted fennel and garlic scapes would be loving awesome.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I buy a 20lb bag of rice every month or so. I don't usually stick with any particular brand or type.

Tonight I was making some rice from a new bag, a 20lb bag of Thai RICE KING long grain sweet rice. Fortified with sugar, or something :p. Super sticky stuff.

When I was about to wash it, I noticed that there was a small bug playing in it, and when I started washing, a couple floated to the top. Kinda gross, but I washed it thoroughly and figure what doesn't kill me will only make me stronger, or something like that. . .

Should I throw this rice out? I've never had bugs in rice before :(.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

GrAviTy84 posted:

WTF?

DTF?

Omgamage
Apr 5, 2011
My college serves this soup they call "Creamy Potato Soup" and it is hands down the best item on the menu here. It's very thick, creamy, and a little bit cheesy. (Not sure if there is cheese in it or not) The potatoes in it are in very small chunks, almost as if they put it through a ricer. Anyone have a recipe for something similar or a link to a recipe they trust? I would love to attempt to make this for myself as they have only served this soup twice this semester. All help is greatly appreciated!

P.S. I tried out the recipe on the wiki and it didn't come out quite like the soup the cafeteria serves. It was a bit lighter in color and not as thick.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I have a buttload of tequila and want to infuse it with something. I have experience with various *cellos, but I want to do something with tequila and I don't know where to start. Is there a thread about this? Or any suggestions?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Great idea! I do like that

Any other ideas for 40+ habaneros? It was on the last page but I was thinking hotsauce or trying to make my own spices

You can dry them and grind them up fine but just make sure and wear protection. Gloves, a dust mask, and goggles the stuff is nasty in powdered form.

Another thing to consider is candying them.
http://www.fiery-foods.com/cooking-with-chiles/104-sweet-heat/1998-candied-capsicums
Take the same precautions when pouring the hot sugar syrup over the peppers the first time I did it I didn't and got gassed by hot pepper steam.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Would a dash of fish sauce work as a substitute for anchovies in a Caesar dressing?

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.
Ate enough South American food in Miami this past week to get really really into savory plantains. Plantain chips rule, and they should be easy to make. Wondering if the same would work for fries? As in, fry for a few minutes on a low temp, pat dry, ramp the temp high, and fry again?

Chard posted:

Would a dash of fish sauce work as a substitute for anchovies in a Caesar dressing?

It does. I like a kinda lumpy Caesar though, so it messes with the consistency a little, but it's probably not enough to make it a big deal.

Then again, I've found one of the best things to have in my fridge is a tube of anchovy fish paste. It gets used in so many things, first and foremost being every pint of marinara I jar.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Allahu Snackbar posted:

Ate enough South American food in Miami this past week to get really really into savory plantains. Plantain chips rule, and they should be easy to make. Wondering if the same would work for fries? As in, fry for a few minutes on a low temp, pat dry, ramp the temp high, and fry again?

Tostones are like this. Cut into 1 cm thick slices on a bias. Fry once. Take out and smash, then fry again.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!
Edit: think I may have misread

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Kaluza-Klein posted:

I buy a 20lb bag of rice every month or so. I don't usually stick with any particular brand or type.

Tonight I was making some rice from a new bag, a 20lb bag of Thai RICE KING long grain sweet rice. Fortified with sugar, or something :p. Super sticky stuff.

When I was about to wash it, I noticed that there was a small bug playing in it, and when I started washing, a couple floated to the top. Kinda gross, but I washed it thoroughly and figure what doesn't kill me will only make me stronger, or something like that. . .

Should I throw this rice out? I've never had bugs in rice before :(.

You should take it back to the shop and complain that they sold you buggy rice.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

FogHelmut posted:

I have a buttload of tequila and want to infuse it with something. I have experience with various *cellos, but I want to do something with tequila and I don't know where to start. Is there a thread about this? Or any suggestions?

Infuse your booze: Home-made liqueurs and flavoured spirits.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Chard posted:

Not as well as Worcestershire sauce will. Indeed, Caesar Cardini's original recipe does not include anchovies; it does contain Worcestershire.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I got a gnarly Indian Meal Moth problem at my old place after taking home a bag of infested rice once. Toss it or return it, ASAP.

Ubergoat
Oct 5, 2004
Goat, the other white meat.
Random question: I just got into a discussion with some friends about why a pie pan is shaped the way it is (with slanted sides, as opposed to straight like a cake pan). Obvious advantages are that it's easier to remove from the pan, and you don't don't get a last bite that's only crust.

I also was thinking though that maybe the slanted crust would also give it more strength (and convenience) when hand-held (as I believe many early pies were?) as compared with a straight crust. I was thinking the 90 degree intersection of the side and bottom crusts (if it was made in a cake-like pan) would be more likely to break when picked up by hand.

Does this sound plausible?
Any ideas/thoughts from bakers (or physics majors) would be much appreciated.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I've started working 9-5 and was wondering what people do for breakfast? I want something that isn't simply cereal or toast but that I can prepare and eat in 10-15 minutes and is healthy and will stop me being hungry until lunch.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Jose posted:

I've started working 9-5 and was wondering what people do for breakfast? I want something that isn't simply cereal or toast but that I can prepare and eat in 10-15 minutes and is healthy and will stop me being hungry until lunch.
If you've got a slow cooker, you can use it to make porridge (with steel-cut oats, the best oats) overnight.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

Jose posted:

If I wake up fifteen minutes earlier I can scramble eggs with leftover veg from the night before, and match it with dry rye toast and a slice of cheese to make a great and healthy start to the day.

You can start from eggs and move up...I suppose you could prep coddled eggs and slide them in the oven as you shower.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

Jose posted:

Oooooaaaaatmeeeeeaaaal! It tastes great, it's easy to prepare with a bit of forethought, and it'll keep you full for hours. I get up at 5:30am every day, eat a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast, and it gets me through to lunch at 12:30 / 1:00.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY
Any comments on a KitchenAid 700W KFPW760ER 12-Cup Food Processor?

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Semprini posted:

If you've got a slow cooker, you can use it to make porridge (with steel-cut oats, the best oats) overnight.

I keep seeing this -- what is it about steel-cut oats that make them so awesome? How are they different from, say, your basic Quaker Oats?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Drimble Wedge posted:

I keep seeing this -- what is it about steel-cut oats that make them so awesome? How are they different from, say, your basic Quaker Oats?

They have a completely different mouthfeel. They have a little bit of bite, not just sogginess.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Drimble Wedge posted:

Steel cut on left, instant (rolled) on right. Steel cut oatmeal is just that, the grain is cut, much of the grain itself is still in tact. Instant oatmeal, or rolled oats, are pretty much run under a steam roller. The grain is demolished in favor of creating a quick cooking product. While instant oatmeal is great to bake with, as a stand alone product, steel cut is by far more pleasant to eat.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
What about prep time - I would imagine it being longer with steel cut?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Yeah, prep time for the steel cut is considerably longer, that is why it isn't well suited to baking, and why a lot of people like to put it in a slow cooker.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Cowcatcher posted:

Any comments on a KitchenAid 700W KFPW760ER 12-Cup Food Processor?

I have one in another color, works great, you can even chop almonds fine enough to make french macarons with it.

Although I don't use it that often, just for big jobs, because there's a bunch of parts to clean and I always have to decide between cleaning a knife and cutting board or disassembling and cleaning five parts.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 22, 2011

Ktb
Feb 24, 2006

I recently ate some sort of beef and pear stew thing. It was absolutely delicious and I want to make it myself. However google is giving me a ton of recipes and none of them sound like the right thing. The girl that brought it in said that it was Korean. I'm pretty sure it had garlic, ginger, some chilli and soy sauce but beyond that I have no idea. Does anyone know what this dish is called or have a recipe for it?

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
What mandoline slicer does GwS generally recommend? The one I have (ceramic blade, can't remember the company off hand) is pretty crappy and I have to really force the food to get it to cut.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Fremry posted:

What mandoline slicer does GwS generally recommend? The one I have (ceramic blade, can't remember the company off hand) is pretty crappy and I have to really force the food to get it to cut.

I would say Benriner if you want to go cheap. I've heard Oxo makes a decent one for a little more scratch. The Shun is the best I've used, but it's pretty spendy.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Ktb posted:

I recently ate some sort of beef and pear stew thing. It was absolutely delicious and I want to make it myself. However google is giving me a ton of recipes and none of them sound like the right thing. The girl that brought it in said that it was Korean. I'm pretty sure it had garlic, ginger, some chilli and soy sauce but beyond that I have no idea. Does anyone know what this dish is called or have a recipe for it?

Did it look like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoPeVS03A3A&feature=player_detailpage#t=505s

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Fremry posted:

I love this bastard:
http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-V-Blade-Mandoline-Slicer/dp/B001THGPDO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321997389&sr=8-1

OXO Good Grips Mandoline Slicer, comes with a bunch of blades that I'll probably never use, super easy to swap blades out (or remove for cleaning), and a nice locking, thickness dial. All for $40.

Oh, and looks like replacement blades are only $5 a pop through the OXO website.

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 22, 2011

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

CzarChasm posted:

I love this bastard:
http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-V-Blade-Mandoline-Slicer/dp/B001THGPDO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321997389&sr=8-1

OXO Good Grips Mandoline Slicer, comes with a bunch of blades that I'll probably never use, super easy to swap blades out (or remove for cleaning), and a nice locking, thickness dial. All for $40.

Oh, and looks like replacement blades are only $5 a pop through the OXO website.

I can second this, used it just last night. Easy to break down and wash, easy to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.
I know that certain cuts of meat, like pork shoulder or belly, benefit from brining or braising. I'm curious though; is there a point to doing both in one recipe? I'm trying to make a really tender pork belly that I can make big thick slices with, and I just tried roasting at about 300-325 for 2 hours after a brine, and while the flavour is great, the lean meat bits of the belly are a bit dry and chewy. If I were to braise it instead, would that just undo the effects of the brine, though?