Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Ken
Jul 1, 2006
I am super awesome.
Sent in my order for VIP bonus today. Picked up the new Winter set and a few Christmas-themed items.

Also, is the minifig trading thread dead? It seems like there isn't much activity. I've got a whole box of Series 5, looking to trade for figs from 1, 3, and 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

So I can't seem to figure out where this guy came from:

There is clearly a LEGO logo on it, but I can't seem to get the right mix of numbers to figure out what set he's from. Help?

boner meter
Apr 27, 2006
I AM A SMUG ASSHOLE WHO BELIEVES IN RACIST PROPAGANDA. I DESERVE ONLY RIDICULE.

rickiep00h posted:

There is clearly a LEGO logo on it, but I can't seem to get the right mix of numbers to figure out what set he's from. Help?

Is he DUPLO sized? Even if he's lego sized, he seems weirdly familiar.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

boner meter posted:

Is he DUPLO sized? Even if he's lego sized, he seems weirdly familiar.

No, he's regular LEGO size. His feet are 2x1 each and his legs when sitting are too. I can't for the life of me remember where I got him, though, I must have been like 8 or 9 when I did.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

rickiep00h posted:

http://peeron.com/inv/parts/x1734cx2

Was only in 391-2, a Fabuland police car.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
Wow, I never even thought to look through the Fabuland sets.

While I was looking I found what might be the single classiest set ever:
http://peeron.com/scans/391-1/1

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Time Cowboy posted:

Wow, I never even thought to look through the Fabuland sets.

While I was looking I found what might be the single classiest set ever:
http://peeron.com/scans/391-1/1

This set makes me wonder...do you think AFOLs back in the BBS days were complaining about actual windshield pieces?

boner meter
Apr 27, 2006
I AM A SMUG ASSHOLE WHO BELIEVES IN RACIST PROPAGANDA. I DESERVE ONLY RIDICULE.
He's freaking me out now, in much the same way as the old style technic dudes did when I was a kid.
Also the wheels on that Citroën own, holy poo poo.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

Pyroclastic posted:

Whoa...a non-animal Fabuland minifig? That's kind of creepy, somehow.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Pyroclastic posted:

THANK YOU. I was wondering if the POLICE bricks and stuff I had were somehow related to that guy. I don't think I have the windshield anymore, though. I have a red one, but I don't know about the blue one.

Given that it's 1986, I would have been five, and that was probably my first my first set.

Be right back, bawling my eyes out now over my childhood.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I went back a few pages and didn't see anything about this:

http://heroica.lego.com/en-us/Default.aspx

I have always HATED the Lego that's not really for building, like BIONICLE and crap, but this looks like fun and structured rules while maintaining a lot of creativity.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

AlternateAccount posted:

I have always HATED the Lego that's not really for building, like BIONICLE and crap

Not for building , you say ?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Pyroclastic posted:

Not for building , you say ?

OK, I stand very, very corrected.

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary

AlternateAccount posted:

I went back a few pages and didn't see anything about this:

http://heroica.lego.com/en-us/Default.aspx

I have always HATED the Lego that's not really for building, like BIONICLE and crap, but this looks like fun and structured rules while maintaining a lot of creativity.

Yeah, I picked up one of the Heroica games after watching the "how to play" video because it did genuinely look fun. Haven't played it yet though, going to over Thanksgiving with a friend of mine from back home. I was just really surprised that it looked that fun. I guess the cool thing about it being Lego is that if I get bored of it I can rebuild the map to my heart's content.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

AlternateAccount posted:

OK, I stand very, very corrected.

Yeah what are you talking about? When I made my big "lets get back into lego" purchase I bought a big bulk lot of the stuff for, well, that very reason.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Fred Meyer has a 25% off Toys bonus coupon, and a $10/$20/$30 off $50/$100/$150 coupon. So you could go get some big sets for a lot cheaper than usual.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Some newer images of the DC stuff. Haven't seen them posted in this thread yet: http://www.brickheroes.com/2011/11/lego-dc-2012-les-images-officielles/

This is pretty cool, but if I got anything it would probably be the Batwing one.

I decided I couldn't justify buying myself the medieval market village for christmas despite the fact that it is my dream set :( We're saving to move house at the moment and that amount of money on indulgent nostalgia is pushing it when we're trying to be a bit more frugal all round. Amazon had a midsized Pirnce of Persia set for half price so I got that instead. It's not a line I have any particular interest in, but it will be the first "big" set I've got since I getting the bug and it looks like it will be fun to play with with the kid. I also have the motor home tucked away some where.

Britt Burns
Nov 24, 2007
Biscuit Hider
I just found out that a Lego store is going to open in my area in the near future, and I'm really keen on getting a part-time job there. I submitted my info to their online job-search-thing, and I was wondering if any of you have an "inside track" on how the hiring process goes for new retail locations. I have a full-time job already so this would be a nights/weekends deal - do you think I have a shot?

I'm all giddy at the notion of working at a Lego store :3:

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Gravy Jones posted:

Some newer images of the DC stuff. Haven't seen them posted in this thread yet: http://www.brickheroes.com/2011/11/lego-dc-2012-les-images-officielles/

This is pretty cool, but if I got anything it would probably be the Batwing one.

I decided I couldn't justify buying myself the medieval market village for christmas despite the fact that it is my dream set :( We're saving to move house at the moment and that amount of money on indulgent nostalgia is pushing it when we're trying to be a bit more frugal all round. Amazon had a midsized Pirnce of Persia set for half price so I got that instead. It's not a line I have any particular interest in, but it will be the first "big" set I've got since I getting the bug and it looks like it will be fun to play with with the kid. I also have the motor home tucked away some where.

Wow that Two Face set has possibly the most esoteric pieces in existence. Right up there with the giant plane wing and the blimp.

I will be proven wrong when someone makes a crazy orange/purple MOC but still those plates are ugly.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Hey, you know that sale I mentioned? I got this and this for $110 after the coupons and my wife's employee discount. Awesome.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

Sockser posted:

Wow that Two Face set has possibly the most esoteric pieces in existence. Right up there with the giant plane wing and the blimp.

I will be proven wrong when someone makes a crazy orange/purple MOC but still those plates are ugly.

Pretty sure that two-color hood piece is solid purple, with a two-color sticker on top.

While channel surfing with my son last night, I caught the last half hour or so of one of the direct to video Lego movies, The Adventures of Clutch Powers. It was nowhere near as bad as I was expecting. In fact it was more entertaining than it had any right to be. Perhaps because I'm a gigantic man-child who loves Lego-related humor.

Bret Hart
Nov 28, 2010

Taeke posted:

I found this quite interesting. It's a guide to build this:

Sure, it's very basic for a lot of you, but for many/some it'll be quite interesting or at least a good start to building the really awesome stuff.

I want to live there.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Time Cowboy posted:

While channel surfing with my son last night, I caught the last half hour or so of one of the direct to video Lego movies, The Adventures of Clutch Powers. It was nowhere near as bad as I was expecting. In fact it was more entertaining than it had any right to be. Perhaps because I'm a gigantic man-child who loves Lego-related humor.

There's a new(ish) "4D" Clutch Powers movie at our local Discovery Center that my kid loves so I've got him the DVD for Christmas. Unfortunately not the one with the minifig :(

Also, Clutch Power is Captain Awesome from Chuck (and his female teammate is Sarah).

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
LOL, time to re-purchase all the Batman sets I sold for a bajillion dollars, at retail price.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

It does look like they just redid a lot of the old Batman sets with a few changes here and there. I already have that Batwing (well, it looks very close) and the Joker helicopter is a bit different.

Couldn't they come up with something completely different?

Also, are those all the DC sets coming out? Seems there was only one other than Batman.

Keeku fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Nov 22, 2011

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Romav posted:

It does look like they just redid a lot of the old Batman sets with a few changes here and there. I already have that Batwing (well, it looks very close) and the Joker helicopter is a bit different.

Couldn't they come up with something completely different?

Also, are those all the DC sets coming out? Seems there was only one other than Batman.

That's exactly what I was thinking. And the Lex-bot just seems flat to me, I don't know.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
Well that solves my problem of getting Batman minifigs I guess...

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Fooley posted:

Well that solves my problem of getting Batman minifigs I guess...

There are subtle differences, thank goodness. On top of all the Batman sets I resold, I also bought up a bunch of cheap Batman minifigs on Bricklink when they were $5 each, thinking I would customize or something.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Considering how prohibitively expensive the original run of Batman sets is now, can you really blame them for basically putting them back out there with a few minor changes? There's obviously tons of people who wanted them who now can't get them because they're literally hundreds of dollars more than they should be.

Also that Batcave is hardly anything like the original Batcave, this new one is way more Adam West.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Travis343 posted:

Considering how prohibitively expensive the original run of Batman sets is now, can you really blame them for basically putting them back out there with a few minor changes? There's obviously tons of people who wanted them who now can't get them because they're literally hundreds of dollars more than they should be.

Also that Batcave is hardly anything like the original Batcave, this new one is way more Adam West.

I don't blame them at all, and I hope they put all of them back out so that everyone can get one at an affordable price. I own two Arkham Asylums and if they put it in stores tomorrow I'd be like "sweet!"

That being said, I look forward to selling off my original minifigs at a huge markup to sperglords once the differences are known. Two-face used to wear a black and white suit, for instance. Someone's going to pay bank for that.

pad thai hi-five
Aug 11, 2003

Oven Wrangler
Had a nice find today, a local toy store seems to have been sitting on some older stuff. Some of this i didn't even know about (LEGO Sports? Island Extreme Stunts?).

I got the boat motors for some future MOC, and the green bricks, because you can never have enough green.

I liked the various chromed parts in the two stunt sets.

The numbers were the prices. The Ferrari seems to go for about 250 EUR on Bricklink, and they have six more at the store. I'm sorely tempted.

I'll keep checking out local places whenever i pass one.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006
Well, NNovvember is almost over, and there have been some pretty good Vic Viper designs this year. Here's mine:

If you haven't made one yet, there's still time!

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Intoxication posted:

The numbers were the prices. The Ferrari seems to go for about 250 EUR on Bricklink, and they have six more at the store. I'm sorely tempted.

I doubt you'd regret it. Licensed Ferrari stuff is always popular and highly collectable. I don't see why Lego would be any different.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Intoxication posted:

Had a nice find today, a local toy store seems to have been sitting on some older stuff. Some of this i didn't even know about (LEGO Sports? Island Extreme Stunts?).

I got the boat motors for some future MOC, and the green bricks, because you can never have enough green.

I liked the various chromed parts in the two stunt sets.

I'll keep checking out local places whenever i pass one.

Lego Sports started in the early 2000s IIRC. I remember seeing ads for it in Lego magazine back when I still got that so probably 2001 or so. I'm not going to look it up, of course.

Lego Speed Racer, however, I had no idea.

e:
actually I was at an independent Lego store in the Ohio Valley Mall last week and they have a big glass case of Minifigs and there was a Speed in there. I assumed they made him :psyduck:

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
LHC in Lego
http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2011/11/lego-atlas/atlaslegomodel18/

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

physeter posted:

When I was 10 years old, my best friend Billy moved into a nearby apartment that had a huge fish tank built into the back patio. His mom stocked it with fish, and we used to play legos out there every afternoon. You see back in the 80s, we didn't have these legos for pussies you guys have now. You knew you were playing with space legos because some pieces were translucent, and the little yellow dudes had helmets. That's how you figured that out.

And one day, we discovered that the plastic nozzle at the end of the fish tank air compressor fit quite snuggly into the centrally placed hole on this certain ubiquitous lego piece. This thing: http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/970632_1_x_2_Beams. Not airtight, but enough that tightly built lego constructs would pressurize sufficient to keep water out.

Out first undersea mission featured two bewildered grasshoppers manning a decidedly boxy submarine. We put a window in it for them, which I can only suppose in retrospect magnified their terror. It seemed important to me at the time that they be able to visually participate in the process. They returned dry and alive. Two weeks later, a veritable grasshopper Rapture spread across the fish tank bottom, powered by three compressors and populated by over a hundred grasshoppers. Enough water and humidity squeezed in to keep them alive, bolstered by random heaps of greens we hurled into the airlocks.

A month after that, a freak accident broke open one of the corridors, sending the entire population into the merciless sea, to be devoured by a large parrotfish named Gertrude. Gertrude died the next day, presumably of indigestion.

Legos own. RIP Grasshopper Atlantis & Gertrude. :denmark:

This is incredible. Your link seems to be broken, which piece was it? I'm really having trouble imagining Lego holding enough air for poor grasshoppers to live in :psyduck:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Sloppy posted:

This is incredible. Your link seems to be broken, which piece was it? I'm really having trouble imagining Lego holding enough air for poor grasshoppers to live in :psyduck:
A period snuck into the URL there. It's http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/970632_1_x_2_Beams.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

To elaborate, the story used this piece simply to get the the air hose into a large-ish LEGO structure. The air was supplied by the pump that goes into pretty much any fish setup, and thus had enough pressure (presumably) to keep the water out of the structure while simultaneously allowing the grasshoppers to live. Think of it as living inside a LEGO balloon, or an old-school diving setup with a hose and bellows. Depending on how many grasshoppers are in there, I could see them living indefinitely, or until their food supply ran out or their little underwater bio-dome collapsed.

And we all know what happened in this instance.

(Also the reason it's so amazing is precisely because it's so :psyduck:.)

Britt Burns
Nov 24, 2007
Biscuit Hider
I've been working on the Pet Shop for the last few evenings and I'm really disappointed with the number of off-color brown bricks there are. It's not just a little bit off, either - they're almost a pinky-brown.

Why does this happen? :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
My parents are bugging me to clear my old lego out of storage when I'm around for Thanksgiving. I'd like to try building something interesting-ish, but I know when I was a kid I heavily prioritized my purchases based on cool minifigs and accessories so I assume I'll have disappointingly few structural pieces to work with. What's the cheapest way to get bulk generic bricks? Ebay?