Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.

dokomoy posted:

Just because people aren't working on there gogopaltas from side control bottom doesn't mean people(and jiu jitsu) isn't constantly evolving.

I'm not saying it's not constantly evolving, I'm saying a lot of people are limiting themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Who Gotch Ya posted:

I'm not saying it's not constantly evolving, I'm saying a lot of people are limiting themselves.

You're limiting yourself by only practicing stupid moves that never work so you can have an excuse when you lose (I was totally going for a wacky move i saw on youtube! I was having fun with it etc) when you could be making yourself better at grappling

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com

james earl pwns posted:

You're limiting yourself by only practicing stupid moves that never work so you can have an excuse when you lose (I was totally going for a wacky move i saw on youtube! I was having fun with it etc) when you could be making yourself better at grappling

My excuse for losing is that I don't like tournaments and would rather grapple one guy wearing whatever I want with entrance music and showmanship in a real sporting environment.

Ridleys Revenge
Mar 24, 2007

B...B..BUT IM SUCH A "NICE GUY"!

ps if you see me post in E/N tell me to continue therapy for my anger and entitlement issues and stop behaving like a textbook example of a whiny twat

james earl pwns posted:

I find the biggest ego issue I see in my students is this idea that they can (and should) win or lose in practice. Try wacky moves! Have fun! Get subbed and sub in kind because when you experiment everyone's perspective broadens, everyone's grappling improves, and everyone wins. When you focus on 'high percentage' techniques, everyone gets more comfortable with 'the basics,' everyone's grappling improves, and everyone wins. How can you be so short-sighted as to think you're getting better if you're never getting tapped or moving outside your comfort zone?

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Ridleys Revenge posted:

I find the biggest ego issue I see in my students is this idea that they can (and should) win or lose in practice. Try wacky moves! Have fun! Get subbed and sub in kind because when you experiment everyone's perspective broadens, everyone's grappling improves, and everyone wins. When you focus on 'high percentage' techniques, everyone gets more comfortable with 'the basics,' everyone's grappling improves, and everyone wins. How can you be so short-sighted as to think you're getting better if you're never getting tapped or moving outside your comfort zone?

I'm not sure which side of the argument youre siding with here but either way I agree, or disagree possibly.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I think he's calling them both wrong. You should screw around and drill the essential moves to a high level.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Xguard86 posted:

I think he's calling them both wrong. You should screw around and drill the essential moves to a high level.

Has worked pretty well for me, if you look away from my tournament record! :v:

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
judging from youtube and gym stories, I think its how most of the top guys train.

poo poo, I think its how everyone who isn't a cartoon character trains.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Xguard86 posted:

You should screw around and drill the essential moves to a high level.

That's what makes the most sense to me. High percentage moves seem to be called such because the opportunity for them comes up more often, and that means they get completed more often. At the absolute very least you should train in those moves so you can recognize when your opponent is trying one, and be conscious of your own movements leaving you vulnerable to them. Once you can reliably save yourself from the standard subs, that's when you can focus on wacky flying armbars and such. That doesn't mean you can't learn and have fun with other subs along the way. It's like anything else. Learn the basics, have fun, and get fancy after you have a base level of knowledge.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Xguard86 posted:

judging from youtube and gym stories, I think its how most of the top guys train.

poo poo, I think its how everyone who isn't a cartoon character trains.

Yeah I'll pretty much drill the high percentage and basic stuff over and over again and then try more crazy poo poo when I'm rolling after I've tried to put the basics into play, if they're working I'll be comfortable with them and branch off into other poo poo.

Which reminds me I've got a new armbar from side control to try tonight.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh
My favorite lower-percentage move was to start working a kimura from side control start walking my leg around the head, and then quickly throw my other leg over their body to switch it to a reverse armbar.

What's everyone else's favorite non-bread-and-butter sub?

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
I devote a large portion of every class to hitting the secret move in sparring.

Some day...

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

mobn posted:

My favorite lower-percentage move was to start working a kimura from side control start walking my leg around the head, and then quickly throw my other leg over their body to switch it to a reverse armbar.

Occasionally when guys try to double-underhook pass my guard, I'll grab the wrist of one of their hands, pass my shin on that side across their stomach, and then extend the leg, shoulderlocking that arm. It's almost as funny as d'arce choking people from under side control.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

fatherdog posted:

Occasionally when guys try to double-underhook pass my guard, I'll grab the wrist of one of their hands, pass my shin on that side across their stomach, and then extend the leg, shoulderlocking that arm. It's almost as funny as d'arce choking people from under side control.

wow, do you have a link to a video for this? The double underhook pass is the bane of my existence.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I let people pass my guard while locking in a kimura and sweep them with it as soon as they get to side control.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

mobn posted:

I don't use it much but my favorite unconventional sub starts from bottom side control. I get collar grips and roll away from my partner letting him take my back then finish the collar choke while he is back mounted on me.

My second favorite unconventional sub is this armbar which occurs 64 minutes in this Braulio video
http://www.budovideos.com/online/shows/rolledup/rolled-up-epsiode-29-training-the-gray-areas-with-braulio-estima/
I taught myself it from this video and use it once in a while for fun

Yuns fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Nov 22, 2011

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

Opal fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Nov 22, 2011

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

the periodic fable posted:

There's nothing wrong with putting your knees in positions like the guy on the bottom. That's completely normal and anyone who says anything else obviously doesn't stretch enough.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

I get this one from time to time which never fails to piss off the guy who was trying to kimura me.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

mobn posted:

I like to play high mount, and often the newer people will hug to try and protect their arms. The standard and safe way to finish that is to post a foot while trapping the arm over your hip, which turns into an easy mounted kimura.

Alteratively, I prefer to post my foot, grab my ankle and heave my body to the side, rolling my partner over to a ridiculous omoplata. It is not "smooth", it is not graceful, it is not even particularly cool looking, but I can't resist being silly.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
My favourite is the sambo calf slice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DqcOy_RW6A

There's also another one that Stepha Kesting did in his Unorthodox Positions & Attacks that i can't remember the name of now but it's basically an Achilles in which you trap his other leg as well and then thread them over each other. It's more or less a pain lock as I recall but you can get some fantastic torque on it

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Bohemian Nights posted:

There's nothing wrong with putting your knees in positions like the guy on the bottom. That's completely normal and anyone who says anything else obviously doesn't stretch enough.

Could you post some of your knee stretches, I'm really looking to limber up my patella?

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

There's also another one that Stepha Kesting did in his Unorthodox Positions & Attacks that i can't remember the name of now but it's basically an Achilles in which you trap his other leg as well and then thread them over each other. It's more or less a pain lock as I recall but you can get some fantastic torque on it

I was at that seminar, he called it the "leg weave". It was basically an achilles lock + kneebar at the same time. Cool technique although I can't really say I've used it since then.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

haha wow I've actually done that twice in the last month. I learned it from Rigan Machado at a seminar a few months back. Its brilliant because people often try to use their other leg to kick free: you catch that and use their escape against them.

Is that the same thing Nelson used to tap Mir at that grappling tournament?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Xguard86 posted:

haha wow I've actually done that twice in the last month. I learned it from Rigan Machado at a seminar a few months back. Its brilliant because people often try to use their other leg to kick free: you catch that and use their escape against them.

Is that the same thing Nelson used to tap Mir at that grappling tournament?

Nelson didn't tap Mir, he just breakdanced all over him. He tapped Brandon Vera with a kneebar that involved trapping both legs iirc.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I don't think he had Vera's legs crossed. I think it was just a straight-up double kneebar.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

double wrong on tha' dubble knee'bahr.

Opal
May 10, 2005

colonel_korn posted:

I was at that seminar, he called it the "leg weave". It was basically an achilles lock + kneebar at the same time. Cool technique although I can't really say I've used it since then.

haha yes, that's it. I've hit it a couple of times but more for fun than anything else, though I have more success with it from standing up outside the opponent's guard

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

haha yes, that's it. I've hit it a couple of times but more for fun than anything else, though I have more success with it from standing up outside the opponent's guard

If you actually have that DVD and notice the only guy doing things in shorts and a t-shirt (because he thought it was a no-gi seminar), that's me. :haw:

e: here I am getting scarf-held by some Asian guy.

Opal
May 10, 2005

ahaha, I did actually mentally remark on it when I saw it ages ago, that's really funny.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com

mobn posted:

This is not low percentage at all. In fact it's the go to transition from the Gotch special.

fatherdog posted:

Yeah this rules too.

colonel_korn posted:

I get this one from time to time which never fails to piss off the guy who was trying to kimura me.

The ad on the bottom of youtube was for a Rolls Royce and there was no way my brain could possibly pronounce those Rs as anything but H.

My favourite is the sambo calf slice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DqcOy_RW6A

Yes. Somersault calf slice from top half guard is the most baller submission though.

The second lock you're talking about may be a cross heel hold? One of Volk Han's favorites. Move 3 here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKMg7B1jck8 (fake edit: ok now I see it was answered but the cross heel hold rules too)

Also that armbar counter to the calf slicer is so dope. It was used in Volk Han vs Tamura too, and was the finish to Hideo Tokoro (little Volk) vs Daisuke Nakamura (trains with Tamura). HISTORY.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

actually, I will agree that MOBN's sub isn't all that low percentage. Its one of my instructors favorite moves and he's a super old school bread and butter guy.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Xguard86 posted:

actually, I will agree that MOBN's sub isn't all that low percentage. Its one of my instructors favorite moves and he's a super old school bread and butter guy.

I guess. My instructor always said you weren't as likely to finish it because it's harder to apply pressure to the reverse armbar over the standard one, but I concede the point that it's much easier to set up than the subs a lot of other people are mentioning.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Reverse triangle from under side control is pretty cool and easy to get if they have their arm between your legs you just gotta push their head in between and lock it up.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

mobn posted:

I have no idea what it's called (someone called it a victory choke at a tournament), but you're in side control, hand under the head gable grips your other hand as you pinch your elbows together and choke them.

It's got a good surprise factor.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Drewjitsu posted:

I have no idea what it's called (someone called it a victory choke at a tournament), but you're in side control, hand under the head gable grips your other hand as you pinch your elbows together and choke them.

It's got a good surprise factor.

It's a no-gi variant of a baseball-bat choke.

Opal
May 10, 2005

Who Gotch Ya posted:

Yes. Somersault calf slice from top half guard is the most baller submission though.

The second lock you're talking about may be a cross heel hold? One of Volk Han's favorites. Move 3 here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKMg7B1jck8 (fake edit: ok now I see it was answered but the cross heel hold rules too)

I think it's pretty much the same lock, though it seems people cross their legs differently or don't cross them at all

What's the somersault calf slice? I thought it would be this but I misremembered it, turns out it was a regular toehold

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Xguard86 posted:

Could you post some of your knee stretches, I'm really looking to limber up my patella?

I was actually joking, because the position of the knee in that picture looks absolutely grotesque, but that's not to say I don't do it to myself all the time, although I'm trying to avoid it.

As for knee and flexibility stretches, for better or for worse, I've was given a mastering the rubber guard book in my first month of training, and I've been using a lot of Eddie Bravo's stretches from that book before basically every training session, and although the stretching portion of that book has been given a lot of flak from some people, it's been good to me.

I suppose the butterfly stretch should work pretty well for your knees until you can finally get them flat to the ground. I've kind of reached that barrier a long while ago myself, so I'm actually looking for some new stretching routines as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS6ju33eeow

I do wonder how much of knee and hip flexibility is genetic, though. I very much doubt I'd have the flexibility I have today if I weren't "born" with it. Hell, I'm fairly certain I'm even more flexible than cXb, although I never got to find out :v:

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I was following your joke with a joke because you can't stretch a joint. It was not a good joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com

I think it's pretty much the same lock, though it seems people cross their legs differently or don't cross them at all

What's the somersault calf slice? I thought it would be this but I misremembered it, turns out it was a regular toehold

From the top of half guard, flatten the guy out. You won't have room to roll properly if he's on his side. Then figure four your legs around the leg that's in between yours. Basically doing Eddie Bravo's lockdown except from the top. Then roll over your shoulder, going towards the outside. So if you have his right leg locked down, you'd roll over your right shoulder, but on the right side of his body. Grab the instep and there's your calf slicer.

If I find a video I'll post it.

OK I found one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSI5x3BO_K4

Who Gotch Ya fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Nov 22, 2011