Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
hey good thing this is the saints row thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The SR3 could do the same. The SR2 assets were simpler, lower resolution textures and what not, all that let them cram more into the meager console memory. To provide for SR3's higher details, something else had to be axed.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Role Play McMurphy posted:

hey good thing this is the saints row thread
Haha, you can't mention GTA without a bunch of nerds telling you how terrible that series is compared to SR.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I loving love GTA, I 100%'d every main 3d gta out there; but there are also other good open world crime sandbox games. :colbert:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Plus there is nothing else to do in the thread but speculate or hunt down more badly done 'leaks'.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Oxxidation posted:

It's a graphics thing. Volition was working with a new engine, so they had to scale back, just like SA to GTA4. Only they decided to make Steelport more like a 24-hour gangland free-for-all than a living city the way Rockstar did with GTA4's.

It is still a shame. SR2's graphics engine might have been held together with glue and string, but it was incredibly flexible and provided a lot of variety.

Can't wait for GTAV to come out and fanboys make fun of people for playing SR3 because it's so small compared to SR2 when GTAV is so awesome or something.

I like making fun of stupid people.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

Can't wait for GTAV to come out and fanboys make fun of people for playing SR3 because it's so small compared to SR2 when GTAV is so awesome or something.

I like making fun of stupid people.

My main hope is just that they'll apply what they've learned about the Euphoria engine to the combat. The gunplay in GTAIV and every one of its expansions was loving horrible. At its best it was a glorified game of whack-a-mole like every other cover shooter out there, and at its worst a wrong button press had your character wandering around in lazy circles while everyone filled you with bullets.

Four-Leaf Clover's the only time I remember really enjoying the shooting in that game.

Avril Lavigne
May 29, 2006

Cage posted:

a bunch of nerds

On the Something Awful forums?? :aaaaa:

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Oxxidation posted:

My main hope is just that they'll apply what they've learned about the Euphoria engine to the combat. The gunplay in GTAIV and every one of its expansions was loving horrible. At its best it was a glorified game of whack-a-mole like every other cover shooter out there, and at its worst a wrong button press had your character wandering around in lazy circles while everyone filled you with bullets.

Four-Leaf Clover's the only time I remember really enjoying the shooting in that game.

I hope they take some of the gunplay from the upcoming Max Payne 3 and/or Red Dead Redemption.

FetusOvaries
Jun 16, 2010

I'll kiss you in the rain
Playing SR3 is like playing GTAIV but it's terrible

Key Sounds
Aug 20, 2011
Can't wait for this game to come out. My sister is always the first to play/pass GTA game, so can't wait for this game. Really excited to see the cars and Multiplayer.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Was listening to the Vice City soundtrack today, gently caress me what an amazing tracklist, Rockstar nailed it with that one.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

MZ posted:

Was listening to the Vice City soundtrack today, gently caress me what an amazing tracklist, Rockstar nailed it with that one.

Nothing beats cruising around Vice City on a faggio with this song blasting in the early morning light:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwAOW_wFtvI

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

Bloopsy posted:

Nothing beats cruising around Vice City on a faggio with this song blasting in the early morning light:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwAOW_wFtvI

No GTA moment will probably ever beat piloting the Hunter for the first time while Cum on Feel the Noize plays on the radio. :hellyeah:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

BrandonGK posted:

No GTA moment will probably ever beat piloting the Hunter for the first time while Cum on Feel the Noize plays on the radio. :hellyeah:

Except for running from the police after the bank heist while the radio plays Flock of Seagulls - I Ran...

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Yeah, I recently started replaying Vice City and holy poo poo, there is no way you can say that that isn't just plain the greatest video game soundtrack ever.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

BrandonGK posted:

Number 2 on my list would be cruising through Bone County on a Freeway while listening to Horse With No Name or pretty much any song on K-DST, really. It's just so relaxing.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Sister Christian while cruising down the desert is also up there.

Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

"I wonder if there is beer on the sun."
Pulling off drive-bys on Balla punks with my homies deep in Balla turf while How I Could Just Kill a Man by Cypress Hill plays on the radio is a pretty awesome GTA moment.

So is cruising around the entirety of Vice City while Crockett's Theme plays on the radio. Every time that song comes on the radio in the game I stop what I'm doing and just move around the city until the song ends.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah, I recently started replaying Vice City and holy poo poo, there is no way you can say that that isn't just plain the greatest video game soundtrack ever.

I think it really helps that the radio dj personalities are so likable too. I love how Lazlow is fighting off biker dudes calling in complaining about the "pussy rock" he plays on his station. It's like they branded each station off of the unique dj's personality. I find that unique in that it's the only open world crime game that has managed to make the formula work.

Vice City has a magical radio.

I would rip the audio files back in the day and listen to them just because.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Chuck D was the best DJ in San Andreas. He was a great mix of angry and indignant and funny and even nerdy.

Ace Oliveira
Dec 27, 2009

"I wonder if there is beer on the sun."

ElwoodCuse posted:

Chuck D was the best DJ in San Andreas. He was a great mix of angry and indignant and funny and even nerdy.

Chuck D is the best in everything, so that fits.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
The secret best part of GTA4's radio is on Integrity 2.0 when that hot dog vendor guy thinks him and lazlow have a comedy duo thing going on and Lazlow is just getting pissed about it.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

ElwoodCuse posted:

George Clinton was a close second, though. The Funktipus has his tentacles wrapped around San Andreas, ain't his fault.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Bloopsy posted:

Number 2 on my list would be cruising through Bone County on a Freeway while listening to Horse With No Name or pretty much any song on K-DST, really. It's just so relaxing.

Vice City's soundtrack is just perfect, but San Andreas' really grew on me over time. I was in a shop today when Rod Stewart's Young Turks came on the speaker system, and I was reminded really strongly of driving around the San Andreas desert or countryside at night with that song playing. I really wish I had one single memory like that for GTA4.

NOBEARD
Oct 17, 2008

Hee hee hee
Hee hee hee
College Slice
Didn't Lazlow (the real world dude, who voices Lazlow) produce most of the in-game radio? I seem to remember having read something along those lines.

Droopy Goines
Aug 2, 2003

Presented in DTS ES 6.1 where available.

NOBEARD posted:

Didn't Lazlow (the real world dude, who voices Lazlow) produce most of the in-game radio? I seem to remember having read something along those lines.

Yes.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

ChuckDHead posted:

Vice City's soundtrack is just perfect, but San Andreas' really grew on me over time. I was in a shop today when Rod Stewart's Young Turks came on the speaker system, and I was reminded really strongly of driving around the San Andreas desert or countryside at night with that song playing. I really wish I had one single memory like that for GTA4.

I know just what you mean. Riding through the northern areas on a freeway bike listening to Freebird, as the middle of the song kicks into that awesome guitar solo, or riding a lovely pickup truck in Whetstone listening to K-Rose, to zooming through on coming traffic at 200mph on an NRG-500 while listening to SFUR, or riding a sanchez through some woods listening to KJar...

I don't have a single memory of GTAIV, even though I finished it. I wonder why, it's a shame really.

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Nov 22, 2011

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

GTAIV had & Down by Boys Noize and Sebastian's remix of Testarossa Autodrive by Kavinsky on its electro station, and they're pretty great to drive to, but they aren't as memorable as most of the tracks on 3 / Vice City / San Andreas.

GTAIV also had that neat ambient station, but it wasn't something I could listen to all the time. It was only enjoyable to listen to every so often.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
Thanks to The Silence of the Lambs, I pulled a pretty good :stare: the first time Goodbye Horses came on Liberty Rock Radio.

I think VC and SA's soundtracks were a little more identifiable because they featured tracks predominately from the music video era, so they were a bit more tangible, especially for people who aren't 'into' music. Almost all of it I had a memory of or had heard at some point. IV's was mostly obscure to me but still had some iconic stuff.

Philip J Fry fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 22, 2011

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Part of it was that IV really didn't seem to have much "iconic" music that you would readily identify with one area in the same way you would gangster rap and LA or country music and the faux South version of Orange county they had in SA. Additionally the city was a bit blander without the unique time frame references that the previous two games had.*

Well they did have stuff like the smart phone but you wouldn't associate them with "late 2000s New York" in the same way you would those Miami Vice guys in VC or the gang wars in SA.

*Now you might in a few years, when time passes. But it didn't work right now because those things have yet to be associated with one, specific era.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Nov 23, 2011

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

ChuckDHead posted:

To be fair, this isn't only because of how good the music is. It's partly because the San Andreas world is so full of memorable places and things and the driving mechanics are so fun that you just want to go out and see them, and it's just a natural thing to associate specific music with a specific memory.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Okay was everyone here talking about riding around Bone County on a Freeway in the Hells Rebels or did everyone just do this on their own and I had no clue?

Edit: because that's seriously all I did for like 8 months.

nukem
Jun 6, 2003

Yes, I love that man of mine.

davebo posted:

Okay was everyone here talking about riding around Bone County on a Freeway in the Hells Rebels or did everyone just do this on their own and I had no clue?

Edit: because that's seriously all I did for like 8 months.

I did it for 5 months in Hells Rebels successor, Satan's Serpents. SZR is still (somewhat) alive, we could use a pre-GTA5 goon rush.

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008
I thought the music in TBOGT was very well done when you were in the clubs. Not iconic or anything but just really well done.

It's between Vice and San Andreas for best soundtrack obvious being as GTA 3's was more low budget/crappy.

I'd say Vice wins, I was born in 89 and I know most of the words to all the songs on that soundtrack cause of that game, apart from Wildstyle I think I could listen to them all.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

GTA3's soundtrack loving ruled :colbert:

I still to this day get songs from Head Radio, Lips 106, RISE FM and MSX FM get stuck in my head from time to time, and that game came out 10 years ago.

In fact, I think GTA3's soundtrack was just as memorable as Vice City's or San Andreas', if not moreso.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
It would be hard not to remember III's soundtrack if you played the game for a long time. The thing was so drat short.

Avril Lavigne
May 29, 2006

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I still to this day get songs from Head Radio, Lips 106, RISE FM and MSX FM get stuck in my head from time to time, and that game came out 10 years ago.

In fact, I think GTA3's soundtrack was just as memorable as Vice City's or San Andreas', if not moreso.

I actually bought "Scientist Rids the World of the Evil Curse of the Vampires" because I listened to those tracks on GTA3's K-Jah station so much.

One small thing that's always bothered me about the radio in GTA3 is how it has a station dedicated to songs from the Scarface soundtrack, but Vice City, the '80s-set Scarface tribute, doesn't. I know VC probably wasn't even planned at the time they were putting GTA3's soundtrack together, but it still feels like Rockstar messed up there.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

This song loving owns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eAth3JwCl0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Half of Vice City was a scarface homage.

• Locked thread