Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FutureSushi
Jan 12, 2011

Did I miss anything important?
I know Supercar is obviously excited about this but where is PIGBUSTER when you need him.

I swear there was maybe one person other than me and Pigbuster who were demanding that wallpaper and now all our dreams are coming true :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZorbaTHut
May 5, 2005

wake me when the world is saved
I'm currently theorizing that the Novice setting involves a lot of impudent jutting.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Not gonna lie. I'm gonna poo poo myself if the shower door opens and it's Saw Tooth.

E: fixed.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I want to see how the auto-responder handles someone it doesn't know like Terezi. Wait, maybe there's a hidden algorithm custom made for Terezi :tinfoil:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Level Slide posted:

I want to see how the auto-responder handles someone it doesn't know like Terezi. Wait, maybe there's a hidden algorithm custom made for Terezi :tinfoil:

There is no auto-responder, Bro just has a waterproof phone or something and is really good at maintaining this bizarre charade for ironic reasons too deep to fathom.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Ograbme posted:

Yesssss more rap dude.

I was going for Spades in Alkinator and one of the questions was "Is your character an excellent host?"

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

It knows all.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Color Printer posted:

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

It knows all.
I can accept that the Akinator can puzzle this poo poo out with uncanny accuracy, computers are amazing and can do amazing things. The thing that horrifies me is that 99 times out of 100, somebody else has already thought up the most ridiculously obscure thing that you are sure you're going to stump it with, and has beaten you to the punch.

Mr. D Bewildering
Mar 24, 2010

8^y

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I can accept that the Akinator can puzzle this poo poo out with uncanny accuracy, computers are amazing and can do amazing things. The thing that horrifies me is that 99 times out of 100, somebody else has already thought up the most ridiculously obscure thing that you are sure you're going to stump it with, and has beaten you to the punch.

And yet, failed to upload an image which was readily available :stare:

gandhichan
Dec 25, 2009

There's a new terror of the skies, bitches.
AND HER HAIR IS PINK.

Color Printer posted:

It knows all.

I actually added that last night. :shobon:

It's actually surprising what kind of obscure stuff has found its way onto Akinator already! After some pressing he managed to guess UU and when I went to the "was one of these your character?" screen I saw like 5 D___ Striders and a Weeabro.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Mr. D Bewildering posted:

And yet, failed to upload an image which was readily available :stare:

All images on Akinator have to be manually approved by whomever runs it, so it takes some time for images to show up.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Just try things from books. No-one on the internet fuckin' reads, man.

Also making Akinator able to guess something reliably is as simple as one person answering the questions correctly for the character and then telling the program what character it was. It's not too surprising that something with a huge fandom of internet nerds gets the characters added in quickly when only one person has to put them through it for it to stick!

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Android Blues posted:

Also making Akinator able to guess something reliably is as simple as one person answering the questions correctly for the character and then telling the program what character it was. It's not too surprising that something with a huge fandom of internet nerds gets the characters added in quickly when only one person has to put them through it for it to stick!

Man, I'm always trying to pull some George Orwell on the thing but it ALWAYS knows.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Tardcore posted:

Man, I'm always trying to pull some George Orwell on the thing but it ALWAYS knows.

I actually haven't tried George Orwell on it like, ever, but just steer clear of Nineteen Eighty-Four and Animal Farm and I'd imagine you'd be fine, right? Drop like Coming Up for Air or The Road to Wigan Pier on that mother. You can pretty much guarantee that the less pop-culturey (or "cult") something is, the less likely he is to know it.

e: I just tried it and he couldn't get George Bowling. Suck it, Akinator!

Android Blues fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Nov 22, 2011

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Android Blues posted:

I actually haven't tried George Orwell on it like, ever, but just steer clear of Nineteen Eighty-Four and Animal Farm and I'd imagine you'd be fine, right? Drop like Coming Up for Air or The Road to Wigan Pier on that mother. You can pretty much guarantee that the less pop-culturey (or "cult") something is, the less likely he is to know it.

e: I just tried it and he couldn't get George Bowling. Suck it, Akinator!

I once beat it with Max Demian

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Android Blues posted:

He correctly guessed Locke Lamora :negative:

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!

Rooreelooo posted:

Well to complete the Dave / Davesprite parallels, hopefully bro will prototype his sprite with his autoresponder to make Brosprite

I really hope this happens.

But that just reminds me, what's the deal with the 8-player session and their prototypes? Like, once the original kids enter, will their prototypes be added to the new session? Are we going to have more Bec-prototyped enemies to deal with?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Starmaker posted:

I really hope this happens.

But that just reminds me, what's the deal with the 8-player session and their prototypes? Like, once the original kids enter, will their prototypes be added to the new session? Are we going to have more Bec-prototyped enemies to deal with?

Presumably not, since that hosed up their session to begin with.

Cyrai
Sep 12, 2004
I kinda tricked it. I was going for Karkat and it guessed Pantskat

HalfHazard
Mar 29, 2010

So I take it that this brobot has a little bit of a backstory? I already saw that it's a call back to a poster on Dave's wall, but what is the whole scoop?

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011

HalfHazard posted:

So I take it that this brobot has a little bit of a backstory? I already saw that it's a call back to a poster on Dave's wall, but what is the whole scoop?

Cleretic posted:

Sawtooth and Squarewave were, if I recall, one of the original ideas for the Homestuck soundtrack - a bunch of fake bands with distinct styles. The Midnight Crew, Felt and Mobius Trip and Hadron Kaleido albums were the result of the original idea, but Sawtooth and Squarewave (the bot in the bathroom) and their Rapocalypse didn't really happen.

Also, evidently SA, and therefore this thread, is one of the top 10 referrers to the site.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Mr_Ham97 posted:

Also, evidently SA, and therefore this thread, is one of the top 10 referrers to the site.

Sister Claire is paying $300 a day for those ads right now? Isn't it usually $80~120 or so?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Mr_Ham97 posted:

Take that, Google.ca, you ham-eating, bacon-calling hoser!

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

creationist believer posted:

Sister Claire is paying $300 a day for those ads right now? Isn't it usually $80~120 or so?

If I'm reading this right, they're paying over $400 for the US, another $400 for Canada, and $24 for the rest of the world. :stare:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Guess we're not going to be Lalonde or Strider yet. Time to be Jane ag

update posted:

Hallway Cera
:stonk:

VERY COOL MAN
Jun 24, 2011

THESE PACKETS ARE... SUMMARILY DEALT WITH
Hallway Cera? Jane's house just keeps getting more and more Arrested Development-y. I have exactly zero problems with this.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

That is a terrifying picture of Cera. His grin is shaped exactly like a boomerang.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm considering getting my avatar changed to this with the caption "Too anime to live, too shonen to die" underneath. But I love my seervatar. Decisions, decisions...

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Mr. Pumroy posted:

That is a terrifying picture of Cera. His grin is shaped exactly like a boomerang.

Even better, the picture's unmodified.

Well, except for turning it greyscale.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Tollymain posted:

I'm considering getting my avatar changed to this with the caption "Too anime to live, too shonen to die" underneath. But I love my seervatar. Decisions, decisions...

If it helps that looks like pixelated rear end shrunk down to avatar size. Like, I saw the image that comes from and I still don't know what that is.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Right then. Maybe I should put on my glasses.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Didn't Hussie say that Arrested Development was definitively his favorite show of all time?

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

You could try cropping it

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I had a thought!

We have, of course, seen that one of the robots bears more than a passing resemblance to Squarewave, the rapping robot from the poster in Dave's room. And, if we were to be more than a touch presumptuous, we could assume that Jake has received a "matching" robot of sorts, perhaps resembling Squarewave's partner Sawtooth. Sawtooth and Squarewave can be assumed to be rappers, and as the auto-replier implies, adept at fighting.

Basically I am thinking there will be a strife between Jake and Sawtooth, and that the strife may be similar to the robot rap battles found in And It Don't Stop. Or I am hoping, rather. I am not sure how this extreme hypothetical could be pulled off.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

FunkyAl posted:

Basically I am thinking there will be a strife between Jake and Sawtooth, and that the strife may be similar to the robot rap battles found in And It Don't Stop. Or I am hoping, rather. I am not sure how this extreme hypothetical could be pulled off.

You have no idea how much I would love that. It would likely be my favorite thing from the entire comic.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
That face is even more punchable than that of Fred Savage.

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.

Android Blues posted:

I used characters from incredibly obscure French novel Misericord, it got them right.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

The Fucky posted:

Hallway Cera? Jane's house just keeps getting more and more Arrested Development-y. I have exactly zero problems with this.
poo poo, the whole session's been littered with references. Tobias 'I Blue Myself' Funke in Jane's bedroom, Bro quoting the same character almost word-for-word with the 'shot wad/dry run' spiel, Hallway Cera, calling Scratch-John 'Poppop'. Not sure what it all means though, if anything.

Also I was under the impression that 'Brobot' was actually a robot designed to look vaguely like Bro, hence the name (and ensuing awkwardness)--you know, like a callback to Jade's Dreambot, or Equius and the Aradiabot, or something. I guess the Squarewave/Sawtooth thing makes sense though, since I can't really figure out any other reason Bro would just have this random rear end robot standing idly next to his shower.

... On second thought, I'm not sure I want to know.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just finally got around to reading And It Don't Stop. Holy poo poo.

E:VVVVVVVV Who?

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Nov 23, 2011

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Tollymain posted:

Just finally got around to reading And It Don't Stop. Holy poo poo.

Now you understand why I want that guy's speculation to happen so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe

Compare to:

Yeah, of course the first one looks like pixellated rear end. First, you didn't resize it to aspect. Second, you seem to have picked up a fetish for nearest neighbor resampling from other people in this topic, as if using it to resize images to non-integer factors, especially to shrink them, has anything whatsoever to do with the artistic style of the comic. Well, except for maybe SBaHJ, which is intentionally lovely.

Here, I even flipped it, if you prefer it facing toward the post: