Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Hyperdermic Needle posted:

Weird question... does anyone know if I can use a Macbook Air as an external display for a desktop?

Thanks.
Nope, you can't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Any case recommendations for the 11" MBA?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

dexter6 posted:

Good luck, they just gave me pictures of manilla envelopes. Goons. :smith:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

dexter6 posted:

STM makes nice stuff

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Had to tear apart my Mini and disconnect the second hard drive in order for boot camp to install. :stonk: Fortunately I'm at the point where I can do a complete teardown in about five minutes, but it's still ridiculous.

What happened for those of you with two hard drives from the factory? I can't imagine having to resort to doing that on an iMac.

Oh well, SSD firmware is updated and so far, so good.
Any clue if that's a normal thing with upgraded dual drive ones?

Kekekela posted:

Good luck, they just gave me pictures of manilla envelopes. Goons. :smith:
Maybe they were being serious :colbert:

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

dexter6 posted:

I have the13" version of the Air Manila case by Civilian Lab and I love it. Apparently they make an 11" version now

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

japtor posted:

No idea, that's what I was asking. It looks like it's a bug in the Windows installer so I'm not sure how they'd fix it, but I can't imagine they'd let that happen with the oem dual drive Macs.

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

Bob Morales posted:

Apple's optical drives are junk.
Agh, oh well. The thing needs to go in to Apple anyways for screen blemishes. Not that big of a deal I guess. Sours me a little on getting another iMac.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

dexter6 posted:

I have the bookbook case for the 13" and it's super cool!

http://twelvesouth.com/products/BookBook_for_Air/

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

japtor posted:

Maybe they were being serious :colbert:
The quote that I remember was "Use an actual manila envelope" with pictures of the same, and you're linking to pictures of leather sleeves, so I don't think so.

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Nov 21, 2011

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Here are 3 roundups of 11" Air cases:

http://www.macworld.com/article/156199/2010/12/macbook_air_11_bags_and_sleeves.html

http://www.macworld.com/article/158182/2011/02/more_macbook_air_11_bags_cases_and_sleeves.html

http://www.macworld.com/article/161921/2011/09/even_more_macbook_air_11_bags_cases_and_sleeves_html.html

dox
Mar 4, 2006
I personally like the Speck hard cases-- but they are more of a cover/hard case than a case to slip it into when you're done. It fits really, really well on my MBP and I enjoy having the black color that I miss from my 08 MacBook. Highly recommended-- it's incredibly sturdy and fits perfectly.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Seconding the speck hard case.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

$1050 for the base i5 iMac on Black Friday

Best Buy has the 13" Air for $1099 right now

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Too bad tax makes those savings pointless.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Wow, I moved my VirtualBox virtual drives over to my 250gb HDD from my 60gb SSD and now virtualization is painfully slow now. :(
I expected some slow down but I guess this is what happens when you haven't touched anything without an SSD in almost a year.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

BlackMK4 posted:

Wow, I moved my VirtualBox virtual drives over to my 250gb HDD from my 60gb SSD and now virtualization is painfully slow now. :(
I expected some slow down but I guess this is what happens when you haven't touched anything without an SSD in almost a year.

It is so painful going to my work machine where I have to juggle some VMs for BIOS/device driver development on a single 500GB HDD from my home machines with SSDs :(

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
I currently have a 2010 Macbook Pro with a 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo. I'm thinking about getting an 11" Macbook Air with the Core i5 and 256GB SSD. I read a few pages back that the i7 is the better processor to get for the 11" but isn't upgrading to the regular i5 going to be a significant speed increase?

This will be a general use/DJing laptop. The 13" Core i7 refurb seems like a pretty good deal too, but I'll also be using this laptop when I travel so...decisions decisions.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

dexter6 posted:

I'm not a fan of the Spec hard cases, the one I had on my 2010 MBP was ill fitting and would get disgusting finger grease all over it (mine was red satin).

I recently got rid of my MBA 11" to get a 13" and I don't need my Incase perforated case anymore. I'll sell it for $25 + s/h. I didn't even use it for over a week or two since I had to send the MBA back within 30 days.

It looks kind of funny, but it's killer, not clunky at all and nice to grip.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/H4971ZM/A?n=macbookair11&fnode=MTY1NDA2Ng&s=topSellers

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Too bad tax makes those savings pointless.
Not everyone buys from Amazon

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

devmd01 posted:

How is the current Air on virtualization performance with Fusion?

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Plenty fast.

Yes, yes indeed it is. Bluetooth headset -> Win7 VM -> VPN -> Cisco IP Softphone works just fine and dandy!

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

vty posted:

I'm not a fan of the Spec hard cases, the one I had on my 2010 MBP was ill fitting and would get disgusting finger grease all over it (mine was red satin).

I recently got rid of my MBA 11" to get a 13" and I don't need my Incase perforated case anymore. I'll sell it for $25 + s/h. I didn't even use it for over a week or two since I had to send the MBA back within 30 days.

It looks kind of funny, but it's killer, not clunky at all and nice to grip.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/H4971ZM/A?n=macbookair11&fnode=MTY1NDA2Ng&s=topSellers

I can vouch for how well-designed/good looking this case is. It also looks way better than the Speck cases.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

Alright, I'm stumped. I assume this question belongs here and not in the Software thread, although at this point I don't know where the problem lies.

I'm running Lion and I want to install Windows 7 onto a second partition. The first problem I have is that I can only create a 23Gb partition for Windows in Disk Utility, even though Finder says I have about 70Gb free. I don't have FileVault enabled, although I used to -- I had to restore my install from a Time Machine backup a few weeks ago when my computer absolutely refused to boot up, and haven't re-enabled it since. (Actually, I'm not 100% certain the TM backup was running FV either.) Disk Utility is just showing my Lion partition as taking up all bar 23Gb of my drive.

The second problem -- the more worrying problem -- is that I can't boot into the Recovery partition. Whenever I try, the screen flashes for a sec, and then boots me back into normal mode. This happens if I try to boot off the recovery partition on my internal drive, and also from a recovery partition I created on an external HDD (using the Recovery Disk Assistant).

What dark magicks do I need in order to get my computer running sensibly again? Would I be able to run a Snow Leopard install DVD, use that to format my entire disk and restore my TM backup, and also create a partition big enough for Windows 7? Or has Lion changed my hard drive too much with its recovery partition nonsense? (That, in my case, isn't working?)

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Why aren't you using Boot Camp Assistant?

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

wolffenstein posted:

Why aren't you using Boot Camp Assistant?
I am. Well, I'm trying to. But Boot Camp Assistant is also only letting me create a 23gb partition.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Local snapshots taking up the space?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4878

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I just threw lightly placed my 2011 MBP 13" with 160GB Intel SSD and 8GB RAM in SA-Mart

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3450786

Binary
May 21, 2004
I want to get a mac laptop to mess around with Xcode and iphone app development, also running the iphone simulator. Keep in mind this will be my first mac ever. For development purposes is the 13" Air with the i5 a decent choice? My research seems to indicate that it would be. My only doubt is whether I should get that or a 13" macbook pro. What I like about the air is an SSD at a lower price point and the fact that it apparently has the same resolution as the macbook pro 15".

Also, as noted in an earlier post, Best Buy has then for $1099. The Apple refurb site had them at that price last week but they're gone now. Is that the best deal on one right now or should I wait to see what black friday offers?

Binary fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Nov 23, 2011

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

Binary posted:

I want to get a mac laptop to mess around with Xcode and iphone app development, also running the iphone simulator. Keep in mind this will be my first mac ever. For development purposes is the 13" Air with the i5 a decent choice? My research seems to indicate that it would be. My only doubt is whether I should get that or a 13" macboo pro. What I like about the air is an SSD at a lower price point and the fact that it apparently has the same resolution as the macbook pro 15".

Also, as noted in an earlier post, Best Buy has then for $1099. The Apple refurb site had them at that price last week but they're gone now. Is that the best deal on one right now or should I wait to see what black friday offers?

The 13" is a fabulous portable dev device. I'd definitely recommend a desktop monitor for when you're "working" but it's a nice form factor regardless.

Also, I'm shocked to see them for $1099. That's the best deal I've ever seen on a recent Macbook release. I paid that for my 11" when it was new.

Binary
May 21, 2004

vty posted:

The 13" is a fabulous portable dev device. I'd definitely recommend a desktop monitor for when you're "working" but it's a nice form factor regardless.

Also, I'm shocked to see them for $1099. That's the best deal I've ever seen on a recent Macbook release. I paid that for my 11" when it was new.

I have a 24" inch acer monitor at home. This might be a dumb question but it will work with the mac proved I get the thunderbolt to whatever adapter, yes?

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

Binary posted:

I have a 24" inch acer monitor at home. This might be a dumb question but it will work with the mac proved I get the thunderbolt to whatever adapter, yes?

Correct. I plug mine into my TV (to hdmi) and monitors (to dvi) all the time.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Binary posted:

Yep it'll work fine.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

or one opportunity
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

Bob Morales posted:

Local snapshots taking up the space?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4878
That could be it. Thanks!

I'm still concerned that my recovery partition isn't working, though. I'll see if I can fix that once I have Windows installed...

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

So I'm sick of lugging around my R61 and I'm thinking of picking up an 13" Air but GODDAMN Apple really likes European money. The 128GB version is 1299$ in the US, in the UK it is ~1700$ and here in Estonia its ~1800$ and they don't sell refurbs here, either.

Anyway does anyone know of a place that does or is just cheaper or am I poo poo out of luck?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sprat Sandwich posted:

So I'm sick of lugging around my R61 and I'm thinking of picking up an 13" Air but GODDAMN Apple really likes European money. The 128GB version is 1299$ in the US, in the UK it is ~1700$ and here in Estonia its ~1800$ and they don't sell refurbs here, either.

Anyway does anyone know of a place that does or is just cheaper or am I poo poo out of luck?
Isn't that due to VAT?

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

Isn't that due to VAT?

I... hadn't thought of that :(

I guess I am poo poo outta luck...

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

Is there a reason apple lists the max ram on a macbook pro as 8, when you can actually use 16? Or are there issues that everymac isn't telling me about?

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

canada jezus posted:

Is there a reason apple lists the max ram on a macbook pro as 8, when you can actually use 16? Or are there issues that everymac isn't telling me about?

Apple doesn't support the configuration officially, just like Apple doesn't officially support Opti-bay installations. It can be done and I've not had problems with it.

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.
I bought a 4S on a three year contract yesterday. Except the guy at the Apple Store only charged me for the case I bought with it. Am I supposed to be charged for the phone on my next phone service bill? I'm on Rogers in Canada if that matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

That's definitely not how it works here in the US. Just bought a 4S, extended contract, and had to pay for the phone at the store.

Also: the iPhone thread